PDA

View Full Version : About LWCad...

HenrikSkoglund
01-18-2018, 06:10 AM
Hello folks,

I have a job coming up where I am needed to model some buildings and perhaps houses, so I was thinking maybe I would finally invest in LWCad after hearing about it for years now :)

My question(s) is:
Since I've seen adverts for it in several places, I might just ask you guys if you would recommend me to buy it from somewhere special or if theres any deals I should be aware of?
Also, do you guys know if it plays well in LW 2018?

Thanks!

Skonk
01-18-2018, 06:15 AM
Not sure about wheres best to buy from but I can say it's working fine in LW 2018.

These days it also comes with a top-notch installer that does everything for you, including setting up the custom menus.

HenrikSkoglund
01-18-2018, 06:38 AM
Not sure about wheres best to buy from but I can say it's working fine in LW 2018.

These days it also comes with a top-notch installer that does everything for you, including setting up the custom menus.

Thanks, great to know :)

Snosrap
01-18-2018, 07:53 AM
Buy direct. :) LWCad is fantastic. So many tools that can flat out replace many native tools. The knife tool for instance can replace native knife as well as add edges which is made possible by the superior snapping system. You can't go wrong with LWCad.

Ma3rk
01-18-2018, 07:56 AM
I'd have to throw in a caveat on the installer. I never found out what exactly constitutes a "custom" install, but I believe that means if you have your config files other than under the C:\Users\... area. I for one prefer everything related to any program to be within it's install folder so for years have had them in Lightwave's BIN folder such as: D:\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\bin\Configs, and have this pointed to in the Desktop icon's Target location as detailed in the docs.

Even so, the manual install isn't complex and pretty much the same as adding any other plug-in.

Also, the company recently formed their own site http://www.lwcad.com which is where you'll get redirected from the original WTools3D site.

With all of that being said, you'll probably end up smacking yourself for not having gotten it long ago. Enjoy.

hrgiger
01-18-2018, 08:53 AM
Hi Henrik. I do most of my modeling in MODO these days but the one thing i still use Modeler for is LWCAD if that tells you anything. You wont regret investing in LWCAD and if you need any help, feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have.

tcoursey
01-18-2018, 09:25 AM
LWCAD is one of the only reasons I've not left Modeler a long time ago! It brings such new life to the tools. We do ArchViz and it's great.

DXFImport works great (LW Navive not so much typically)
Engraver is tremendous for Archviz type things
Stairs, Roofs, Doors and Windows!
SNAPPING!

Get it already, Viktor is awesome!

Nicolas Jordan
01-18-2018, 09:59 AM
LWCAD is the main reason I'm still using Lightwave.

THIBAULT
01-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Same here ! Lwcad is rock !

jaf
01-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Yes!

prometheus
01-18-2018, 10:50 AM
I know lw cad is great....I have tested it it some time ago, but I donīt have it..some critics I had then which may perhaps be a minor issue for most folks, it was the dimension tools.
Anyone who knows if thereīs been improvement on that area, say what you want about sketchup, but the dimensioning tools was/is great, dynamicly updating and if changing a window or wall size, the dimension info changes as well, not sure how that works within lw cad?

TheLexx
01-18-2018, 11:01 AM
I understand LWCAD has some sort of "smart geometry", but I don't really know what that means. If true, could anyone comment on that a little ?

hrgiger
01-18-2018, 12:15 PM
I understand LWCAD has some sort of "smart geometry", but I don't really know what that means. If true, could anyone comment on that a little ?

It has 'instances'. Instances in LWCAD are like placeholder ojbects (like a window for example). You can at any time replace that window with another window asset even if you've saved the file and reopened it later. By default, these instances don't render but Oliver has included a script with LWCAD that will allow you to render them. By default, you need to freeze the instance normally to make it actual geometry.

There's also the smart mesh system which is the ability to combine polygon and nurbs objects/curves. Just wasn't sure which you were referring to.

01-18-2018, 01:23 PM
I know lw cad is great....I have tested it it some time ago, but I donīt have it..some critics I had then which may perhaps be a minor issue for most folks, it was the dimension tools.
Anyone who knows if thereīs been improvement on that area, say what you want about sketchup, but the dimensioning tools was/is great, dynamicly updating and if changing a window or wall size, the dimension info changes as well, not sure how that works within lw cad?

Depends on how the resizing is done.
What I tend to do is put dimension lines where I want, generally in a point-to-point fashion. Then, size everything in point mode. This captures the dimension lines; to wit, there is now available live dimension information.

Probably won't mitigate your complaint, though. Sketchup is superior for such things as it is its purpose.
Robert

HenrikSkoglund
01-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all your answers! I guess a direct order from the developer is recommended then and I don't have much doubt about the quality of this plugin. I watched through this today and there seem to be some seriously nice stuff here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2fnRoX6XLU&list=PLqpTrqhJry1HxJ9CJtduw-nb6JBiFLy2E&t=1378s&index=1

wingzeta
01-18-2018, 02:52 PM
You won't regret it. And for what it's worth, it works fine in 2018 so far, in limited testing. I built a quick room with windows stairs and some furniture to try and figure out how to get a cleaner interior render in 2018. The tools worked as expected. I wish I had bought LWcad years ago.

TheLexx
01-18-2018, 02:59 PM
Thank you hrgiger, your insights are always appreciated.

HenrikSkoglund
01-24-2018, 02:59 AM
Been working in LW Cad for a few days now and it's really nice so far. Do you guys know if we can do plate facade's somehow? Like f.e. this:

The only other way I can think of is to use the wall tool to build the structure and then do this plate coat with instances in layout.

MarcusM
01-24-2018, 03:11 AM
Been working in LW Cad for a few days now and it's really nice so far. Do you guys know if we can do plate facade's somehow? Like f.e. this:

The only other way I can think of is to use the wall tool to build the structure and then do this plate coat with instances in layout.

Array Clone in LWCad:

https://sites.google.com/site/wtools3d/lwcad-5-0/3-tools/2-modify/2-clone-1

HenrikSkoglund
01-24-2018, 03:12 AM
Array Clone in LWCad:

https://sites.google.com/site/wtools3d/lwcad-5-0/3-tools/2-modify/2-clone-1

Aaah, I will check that out, thanks!

raymondtrace
01-24-2018, 09:32 AM
I'm using LW2015 (soon 2018) running from program files on a USB storage drive and licensed with the USB sentinel dongle. This allows me to work at various computers, as long as I've plugged in the 2 USB devices.

The licensing for LWCAD appears to have changed with 5.5. Would the latest LWCAD work for me in this semi-portable scenario or does LWCAD require installation/licensing tied to a single system?

TheLexx
01-24-2018, 10:08 AM
I'm using LW2015 (soon 2018) running from program files on a USB storage drive and licensed with the USB sentinel dongle. This allows me to work at various computers, as long as I've plugged in the 2 USB devices.

The licensing for LWCAD appears to have changed with 5.5. Would the latest LWCAD work for me in this semi-portable scenario or does LWCAD require installation/licensing tied to a single system?

Your exact scenario I don't know, but this info directly from Victor is from only 3 days ago (only reproduced here to help all parties). I will almost certainly buy LWCAD this week. :)

Hi.
With current version 5.5 you can activate LWCAD automatic way or manually. Online and also offline.
Read more here:
https://sites.google.com/site/wtools3d/lwcad-5-0/1-installation/2-activation/2-activation-version-5-5-and-higher

LWCAD license is always locked with the LightWave license.
So you can use it on multiple computers.

HenrikSkoglund
01-24-2018, 10:12 AM

I'm very new to LWCad (obviously), but I've installed it at my office as well as my home office and so far it works fine. I think it hooks to the LW key or dongle.