PDA

View Full Version : Slow-down/Lag on VLC NDI streams

Lolaaa
01-17-2018, 02:31 PM
Hello everyone,
Everything is in the title ! I am far away to be an IT expert so I'm probably doing something wrong. Let me explain.

I just need to get a VLC stream with NDI to my TC-1. I tried to plug my computer in different ways but it doesn't change anything :

RJ45 Cable
TC 1 <-------------> Computer

and also

RJ45 Cable RJ45 Cable
TC 1 <-------------> Switch <-------------> Computer

It's a private network with just these two engines.
I'm having the same issue either I'm using VLC NDI plugin or Scan Converter : it is SLOW. By slow i mean that the video freeze then accelerate. I just can't broadcast that. I've also tried two different computers both on Windows 10 one with a i3 CPU the other with a i7. It doesn't change anything.

The big question is "What am I doing wrong ?" Cause right now NDI (for VLC video streams) is worse for me than iVGA :lol:

Do you have any ideas ? And also does anyone know where I could find documentation about different NDI versions, specs, everything I need to know to become better ?

Thanks for your answers ;)

EDIT : Sorry I just noticed that my post isn't in the right section (I don't even know how I did that xD) If anyone is able to move it, thanks and sorry again !

TheMissingLink2
01-17-2018, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure if this could be the issue but when I was playing around with NDI Scan Converter and NDI Monitor (each running on a different laptop) I was having issues with the signal on NDI Monitor. I had both plugged in with an ethernet cable but eventually realized that I still had the wireless internet enabled on one of the laptops and it was using the wireless internet instead of the ethernet connection. After I turned off the wireless, everything went perfect. If your computer has a wireless connection, you should make sure to put your computer in airplane mode.

Lolaaa
01-18-2018, 04:39 AM
Thanks for your answer. Unfortunatly I've tried to desactivate the WIFI but Notting changes. It's still really slow. It really bothers me as I was supposed to use it today. I will import all my medias directly in my TC-1. The laptop will be a backup but a really really bad one.

JPulera
01-18-2018, 02:28 PM
The only time I've had bad performance with NDI is when the network connection on one of the computers (or TriCaster) would default to PUBLIC network mode, which doesn't work. Set to PRIVATE/WORK and see if that resolves the issue. Might have to reboot all units including TriCaster to see the results.

Thanks

Jeff

kanep
01-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Lets start with this.

Run VLC with the NDI source and then view it using NDI Studio Monitor on the same system. Does the problem happen?

If it does, it is something with that computer.

If it isn't happening, then I'm guessing a network issue. In this case, have you verified that everything is running gigabit. Not just, "yes, I have a gigabit switch and cables!" but "I have verified that they are actually running at gigabit speeds."

fgolman
01-18-2018, 06:58 PM
BTW, if you directly connect a TriCaster to a computer without an intervening switch, you'll almost assuredly need a cross over cable or adapter. The switch takes care of that.

Cheers,

Fritz Golman
Museum of Broadcast Communications

matthias-web
01-21-2018, 06:27 AM
BTW, if you directly connect a TriCaster to a computer without an intervening switch, you'll almost assuredly need a cross over cable or adapter. The switch takes care of that.

Crossover cables certainly not needed anymore, Fritz.
(Except you use as showcase ancient museum network stuff... :D )

fgolman
01-21-2018, 09:46 AM
On the crossover cable, it just depends if the port will auto negotiate the crossover on either the TC1 or computer.

Maybe Steve can let us know if the TC1 port has that feature. If not, then it's dependent upon they computer to.

Fritz

SBowie
01-21-2018, 09:51 AM
I'm inclined to agree that crossover cables haven't been required for quite some time.

Zane Condren
01-21-2018, 12:30 PM
Crossover cables have not been needed since the release of Windows XP. As Kane mentioned make sure your network is actually negotiating at 1gbs. I would recommend you disable auto-negotiation on both NICs.