PDA

View Full Version : The ART of NOISE

DonJMyers
01-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Back when I was in college in the early 1980s there was a band called "The art of noise." I know I may be dating myself but, then again, I've dated a lot of people.

Now in 2018 the new lightwave seems to have two render modes - main calculation followed by noise removal. We are all learning the new tricks to remove noise from just one aspect of a render: radiosity, shadows, etc. The ability to tweak the image this way is so new and great for me.

BUT when I loaded my first test scene I was disappointed that the cube was so noisy. Then I figured out how to remove the noise. But, damn, THAT NOISE LOOKS GOOD! It is kind of like floyd-steinberg dithering (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd%E2%80%93Steinberg_dithering) which I have used since ... wait for it ... the 1980s! But it is subtler.

Newtek's new noise is nifty because it has an artistic look. Like an MC Escher charcoal sketch (see attached). In the following tests I have actually EXAGGERATED NOISE so I could see how it looks. It is very organic, non-repeating and yet is always the same (no jitter) when using the same render settings.

Three cheers to Newtek for doing a good job of "spreading the error around" and doing it in an artistically pleasing way. Even when small amounts of noise are present in final renders it blends easily into the grain of a digital background plate.

And, for those who don't know who "Max Headroom" is, he hung out with the Art of Noise in this video of their music. Ah the 1980s, when Iran Contra SEEMED like a big scandal. And a displaced wireframe seemed like hi-tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6epzmRZk6UU

MichaelT
01-16-2018, 04:40 PM
Hah, that old tune.. love that one :)

Speaking of noise -- back in the day (yeah I'm old too) -- on Amigas there wasn't enough colors.. so not only accepting noise, but using it to "blend" colors was extremely useful. Especially if you turned colors at a high rate, giving the impression there was more colors available :)

Miss those days... constantly running into limitations sparked my imagination.

DonJMyers
01-16-2018, 05:09 PM
Hah, that old tune.. love that one :)

Speaking of noise -- back in the day (yeah I'm old too) -- on Amigas there wasn't enough colors.. so not only accepting noise, but using it to "blend" colors was extremely useful. Especially if you turned colors at a high rate, giving the impression there was more colors available :)

Miss those days... constantly running into limitations sparked my imagination.

Which is better, JAWS where the shark didn't really work or JURASSIC PARK XXXX where they have too much of whatever they want?

DonJMyers
01-16-2018, 05:15 PM
on Amigas there wasn't enough colors.. so not only accepting noise, but using it to "blend" colors was extremely useful..

I made these on my Amiga 500 .... the "noise" is a hand placed half tone. The same kind of tech that Roman or Greek tile workers used to make mosaics. Except they got paid for their in real life work. I just did it to learn ... virtually :)

JamesCurtis
01-16-2018, 10:54 PM
Your attachments are not working for me on my android tablet using Firefox.

MichaelT
01-16-2018, 11:26 PM
Which is better, JAWS where the shark didn't really work or JURASSIC PARK XXXX where they have too much of whatever they want?

I suspect that I'm unlike many people in that regard, as I tend to value the story telling, more than the techniques used to do it (much like a game should have gameplay more than eye candy) So I would vote Jaws on that one :)
For the same reason I think most people today probably could not stand watching "I, Claudius" from BBC.

- - - Updated - - -

I made these on my Amiga 500 .... the "noise" is a hand placed half tone. The same kind of tech that Roman or Greek tile workers used to make mosaics. Except they got paid for their in real life work. I just did it to learn ... virtually :)

I'm afraid something is broken there. They seem to have private setting or something.

DonJMyers
01-16-2018, 11:49 PM
i made these on my amiga 500 .... The "noise" is a hand placed half tone. The same kind of tech that roman or greek tile workers used to make mosaics. Except they got paid for their in real life work. I just did it to learn ... Virtually :)

fixed attachment problem

MichaelT
01-16-2018, 11:58 PM

fixed attachment problem

:) For some reason your 2nd image, reminded me of this one: 139513 (Jim Sachs)
Sorry, it just flashed a memory image. But being an old Amiga guy yourself, I perhaps just assumed you know who Jim Sachs is?
He is one of two reasons why I got interested in computer art to begin with (defender of the crown & the movie Tron)

DonJMyers
01-17-2018, 11:03 AM
:) For some reason your 2nd image, reminded me of this one: 139513 (Jim Sachs)
Sorry, it just flashed a memory image. But being an old Amiga guy yourself, I perhaps just assumed you know who Jim Sachs is?
He is one of two reasons why I got interested in computer art to begin with (defender of the crown & the movie Tron)

I forgot all about him. How could I forget? I almost got a job at Cinemaware before they collapsed. I would have worked with him. Yes that pic of the house is classic Deluxepaint. Note the banding in the sky because there were only 32 colors. Memories!

SBowie
01-17-2018, 11:19 AM
A presentation by Jim Sachs at one of the Amiga World shows in Toronto back in the eighties that started me on this career path. I realized that while I didn't have his artistic ability, I had and was conversant with all the same gear, tools and techniques he discussed, and asked myself 'Why am I not doing this for a living?'

CaptainMarlowe
01-17-2018, 11:35 AM

fixed attachment problem

Always been fond of Böcklin. Nice tribute.

Svenart
01-17-2018, 02:33 PM
To bad that they have not created more episodes of Max Headroom!!!

UnCommonGrafx
02-04-2018, 11:49 AM
I am enamored with the noise that I can produce with the new renderer. It is very photographic.
It is an interesting error.
Robert

Myagi
02-04-2018, 12:47 PM
Is this a cousin to the lens cap plugin, the cheap CMOS plugin? ;)

UnCommonGrafx
02-04-2018, 01:52 PM
Nah,
Reminds me of working with film. Developing it in chemistry that's too cold and you got some pretty big grain.

Grain of film seems to be a forgotten thing. Except when one is trying to dirty a CGI image.

If you've never played with film, a darkroom and making your own photos, I can understand your all digital, off the point reference.
Robert

p.s., even if you have, I can understand.