PDA

View Full Version : Ann: Augmented Reality using LightWave 2018, Unity3D, and ARKit

ConjureBunny
01-16-2018, 07:44 AM
Hi guys!

In the last year we've seen this massive surge of interest in Augmented Reality. Vuforia and a handful of other tech led the way, but Apple's ARKit busted into the scene like the Kool-aid man. I've put together a video training series that walks you through any complicated parts. This will help you create a simple template for showcasing all of your LightWave content on an iOS device, mixed into the real world.

So if you're going down the ARKit device path, this is for you. I must point out that you'll need a Mac, and iPhone 6s or later (or a newer iPad) and you'll need to buy an Apple developer account. I'll walk you through setting all of this up properly, in the video.

One last thing, this is *extremely* edited content. I went through the steps a number of times to make sure nothing was skipped, and I edited the audio so it sounds like, for the most part, I never make a mistake and sound nothing like my normally asthmatic self :D . This series is about 6 hours of original content whittled down to just under an hour of step by step instruction, broken into 7 separate videos, one for each topic covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h0j26k2srU

If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know! Versions of this for Vuforia and ARCore are still being edited, so if you're an Android user, or you want to know how to set up Augmented Reality project on a PC, that will be covered soon. I'm also redoing all of my current LightWave and Unity content for the latest versions of both.

Thank you!
-Chilton Webb

Markc
01-16-2018, 11:34 AM
Wooooooooow......Chilton, your content just gets better :thumbsup:
Are there any plans to update Ubercam to work in 2018?

SteveH
01-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Looks very interesting Chilton. How long until the Android stuff is ready to go? Also I'm just wondering - the tires on your model at the beginning of the video show heavy duty tread on them - but the AR version looks smooth - is that a function of Unity?

ConjureBunny
01-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Wooooooooow......Chilton, your content just gets better :thumbsup:
Are there any plans to update Ubercam to work in 2018?

Thank you Mark!

I'm not aware of any incompatibilities in Ubercam at the moment, but they *did* fix some things in LightWave that were causing bugs in Ubercam, notably the rotation bug. Layout was reporting seemingly random numbers to Ubercam when I'd query the rotation. They fixed that, so rotation should work.

That said, I have a newer version of Ubercam in the works that adds a few MORE cameras and fixes a few issues for Mac users, and I'll double-check compatibility before we ship it. That should be really soon.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
01-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Looks very interesting Chilton. How long until the Android stuff is ready to go? Also I'm just wondering - the tires on your model at the beginning of the video show heavy duty tread on them - but the AR version looks smooth - is that a function of Unity?

Thank you Steve!

I was hoping no one would notice the treads! :D

This video has been in production for about a month. Originally the treads on the vehicle had a forward facing tilt on the treads. I thought it was awesome, but it didn't show up well, even in renders (that vehicle is in a game I'm still working on).

Before:

After:

So I changed it last week to this design, but then without thinking about that change, I reshot some of the video for the tutorial.

Here are the before and after images. I'm still mad the tilted treads didn't come out better, but such is life.

-Chilton

ConjureBunny
01-16-2018, 01:22 PM
I'm hoping to have the Android stuff ready soon. Vuforia claims the next version of their product will have more reach, so I'm waiting for that. I might post it sooner rather than later though, if they don't drop the new version this week.

-Chilton

jwiede
01-16-2018, 01:39 PM
I'm not aware of any incompatibilities in Ubercam at the moment, but they *did* fix some things in LightWave that were causing bugs in Ubercam, notably the rotation bug. Layout was reporting seemingly random numbers to Ubercam when I'd query the rotation. They fixed that, so rotation should work.

Might want to see this post (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155400-Lightwave2018-Plugins-List-(Tested)&p=1531521&viewfull=1#post1531521). I've just begun testing Ubercam 2.6 on Mac LW2018, but already seen a couple similar crashes, will provide a more complete report shortly. I just sent one of the crash's report via PM (Overscan Camera).

SteveH
01-16-2018, 03:42 PM
Chilton - hey those are cool looking tires ether way! I don't mean to hijack your thread - but have you heard of a thing called Merge Cube? It's an AR cube (well D'uh) that lets you see a 3 dimensional object in place of the cube. I "think" it may be using the patterns on the cube kind of like a QR code - but then again I could be completely wrong. Still kind of cool and for 15 bucks it's dirt cheap. Check it out!

ConjureBunny
01-16-2018, 04:35 PM
You mean MergeVR? The one here in San Antonio? The name rings a bell... :D

I actually worked for them for awhile. I built part of Merge's SDK, worked on the design and optics for the headset, motion tracking system, and some stuff related to their unreleased hand controller. This Pre-release version of the headset is still my favorite VR headset.

I did not work on the VR Cube though--that came out after I left. BTW, interesting fact -- that headset was designed in LightWave :)

-Chilton

SteveH
01-16-2018, 05:17 PM
Yes that's the company - I guess I shouldn't be surprised you worked for them - that's awesome!
I think the cube AR might have some cool possibilities of viewing a 3D model in your hand - being able to turn it around etc.
It's my first AR experience - and I came away impressed. A whole group in my company is very involved with Hololens but AR never seemed very impressive to me compared to VR - but now I understand it. Its' one of those things you have to experience to "get" it.

samurai_x
01-16-2018, 06:56 PM
Interesting tutorial.
Its too bad Apple killed metaio. It was easy to use directly with lightwave.

ConjureBunny
01-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Interesting tutorial.
Its too bad Apple killed metaio. It was easy to use directly with lightwave.

Agreed! Especially since it means no more Android support. They were one of the few (3?) decent cross platform frameworks.

-Chilton

Markc
01-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Hey Chilton,

Just an update on Ubercam in LW2018.0.1 mac
A lot more cameras work (works when selected, not tried renders)

Instant crashes with:
12up
4up
Spherical
Perspective
Overscan
No Dof / No MB
Dual
Dpi