PDA

View Full Version : Cook County Jail

gpdesigner
12-23-2003, 10:20 AM
Hello All,
I wanted to share this image with you all ... hope you like it.
Taken from the Movie 'Chicago' from my all time favority number from the musical... "The Cellblock Tango"....
It took 15 hrs to render Radiosity...
gp

cg-freak
12-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Wow man, that sure is some render-time, what kind of machine do you have and what were your radiosity settings?

Very nice render you got there, like the foggy and sinister atmosphere, althoug more darkness and less lights would do it for me too.

The lights seem a bit large and have this small angle, I would expect them to face 90 degrees down.

Grtzzz....

CG-Freak

gpdesigner
12-23-2003, 03:28 PM
Thanx cg... I thought about the light size as well... but when I set up the scene I decided not to adjust the size... it took a lot of time to build the objects so by scene construction time I was just ready to render.... lazy
more practice for me I guess.. but good eyes....
gp

CheeseDude
12-23-2003, 04:06 PM
You know, as a Chicago lover myself, I have to say that kicks butt. But what kind of antialiasing settings did you use? The bars on the windows seem a little rough around the edges.

gpdesigner
12-23-2003, 05:31 PM
I used medium.....5 passes..
if I re-render the scene again I will bump it up a little.. I just don't have 24 hrs to tie up my machine.. :)

j0SH
12-23-2003, 06:45 PM
thats a very good job. But i'd like to see more dynamic lighting. The scene seems a bit boring.
either way, great job

kuik2c
12-23-2003, 09:19 PM
the picture tell the story! cool!!! wht's your radiosity settings?

I quite agree with the light size; but I would like to hv more contrast setting for the light effects. Maybe some shadows cast by those handrails from 2nd & 3rd floor on the right hand side floor. And some more light from the skylight window up there as well.

riki
12-24-2003, 04:03 AM
Looks good but all your verticle and horizontal lines are a bit too rigid.

gpdesigner
12-24-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by kuik2c
the picture tell the story! cool!!! wht's your radiosity settings?

I quite agree with the light size; but I would like to hv more contrast setting for the light effects. Maybe some shadows cast by those handrails from 2nd & 3rd floor on the right hand side floor. And some more light from the skylight window up there as well.

The Radiosity settings were :
Intensity: 700%
Tolerence: 0.5
Rays per: 13x19
Eval spacing 9"

That is what I could live with for time... it took 15 hrs to render, I couldn't tie up the machine for much longer than that... I'm on a g4 400mhz... :rolleyes:
Thanx for the comment tho'
gp

gpdesigner
12-24-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by riki
Looks good but all your verticle and horizontal lines are a bit too rigid.

sorry dude but other than a circle you have to explain this to me....:D
gp

riki
12-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Add a bit of variation to the geometry and breakup some of those purely horizonal and verticle lines. What you've got now looks like a perfectly formed box. But if you've ever done any building you'll know that there's no such thing as a perfectly horizontal line. Walls have kinks, bends, warps etc.

gpdesigner
12-25-2003, 07:14 AM
the floor has a dip in it... does that count...:D
merry xmass