PDA

View Full Version : News from NewTek: Status Update on LightWave 3D 8

Chuck
12-23-2003, 10:04 AM
Hi, Folks!

Earlier this year, using the best information we had at the time, we announced that LightWave 3D 8 would be shipping sometime in the fourth quarter. Although we are comprehensively beta testing LightWave 8 now to make sure that there are no last-minute hitches, it is not yet at a stage that we feel would allow us to ship it this month. All the new features are implemented and it's getting really close, but it's still not quite ready for our seal of approval. Our new LightWave development team is very focused on putting out the highest quality, best integrated version of LightWave ever, and we think you are going to be very happy when you see the work they've done. We appreciate your patience as we put the final, finishing touches on LightWave 8.

After the holidays, we'll have more information about the LightWave 3D 8 shipping schedule. In the meantime, we will soon start posting a series of demo videos to show off some of LightWave 8's exciting new features. In addition to a complete LightWave 8 feature list, we'll also be posting new LightWave 8 screenshots and tutorials on our website.

From the NewTek family to yours: Enjoy the Holidays!

akota
12-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Sniff, sob, sniff...

But Santa, I thought I was such a good boy this year... Why, why, WHY is there no LW8 for Christmas?!?!?!?!?!?

:(

Dodgy
12-23-2003, 10:13 AM
Ahhh bum! Oh well, at least they're testing the heck out of it :)

No doubt the ever vigilant LW'ers will find some bugs but hopefully they won't be too prevalent.

Looking forward to playing and seeing some new stuff!

dablan
12-23-2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks Chuck!
Make it the best it can be! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!!

ChristopherCBET
12-23-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by akota
Sniff, sob, sniff...

But Santa, I thought I was such a good boy this year... Why, why, WHY is there no LW8 for Christmas?!?!?!?!?!?

:(

(in his best grinchy voice)
Well you see, little Akota, to say words that are true.
A feature is missing that makes me quite blue.
It seems when we programmed the lens flares this time,
a few of the bright fellers got morphed into slime.
So we're busy reprograming the slime into flares,
and when we are done we'll ship it out there!

:p

ackees
12-23-2003, 01:18 PM
What are the chances of a 7.5 update? After all that would take the pressure off LW8, with a good 7.5 update you could stretch LW8 to full ‘big bang’ release in Feb or even March (has to be before April).
Have a good Christmas.

Librarian
12-23-2003, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the statement. And Merry Chrismas to the Newtek staff :)

meanlebh
12-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the info....can't wait to see what 8 can really do...but I can definitely wait for a bug free version....take your time to get it right, I am sure it will be worth the wait!

toby
12-23-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by ChristopherCBET
(in his best grinchy voice)
Well you see, little Akota, to say words that are true.
A feature is missing that makes me quite blue.
It seems when we programmed the lens flares this time,
a few of the bright fellers got morphed into slime.
So we're busy reprograming the slime into flares,
and when we are done we'll ship it out there!

:p

love it - grinch rules

slatr
12-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Yep, squash those bugs. I have waited this long and I am more than happy to wait a while longer to get a stable product.

I will just have to hold some Christmas money for the upgrade :)

Ade
12-25-2003, 09:05 PM
Why not release a beta version for testing to select few?

toby
12-25-2003, 09:13 PM
they do have people beta-testing it

patience grasshopper!

zapper1998
12-26-2003, 01:29 PM
thanks for the info on the update

will be patiently waiting

akota
12-29-2003, 12:30 PM
I think you all misconstrued my post. My whining was not a gripe to Newtek. I was just sad, like a kid who had Christmas postponed...

ChristopherCBET
12-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by akota
I think you all misconstrued my post. My whining was not a gripe to Newtek. I was just sad, like a kid who had Christmas postponed...

I guess I didn't use enough smiley faces, then. My impression was that you were just sad about the delay, NOT that you were bitchin' about it. As for my own gastly prose, I hope that it was taken as a light jest. I have NO problem with the delay; I'm still trying to learn all that 7.5 and VFX and VT3 can do. I was just getting those Cindy Loohoo vibes so I had to respond. :p

Quicksilver
12-31-2003, 02:09 PM
ehm...
I know I am getting rather boring but I also think that I speak on the behalf of quite a few people around the globe.

Any chance of a Linux version?