PDA

View Full Version : Render outlines and VPR 2018.0 vs. VPR 2018.0.1

Snosrap
01-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Here is a quick comparison with the way render outlines are handled in 2015 vs. 2018. In 2015 it is on a per surface setting whereas in 2018 it is applied to the whole object. Also 2018.0 VPR performance is much better than 2018.0.1 in this situation and slightly better in other situations. VPR performance is better in 2015 than in either 2018 versions but as everyone knows they are vastly different render engines. What I don't understand is how performance decreases in a service pack upgrade. :)

It would be nice to have a per surface "render outlines" brought back or hopefully someone can figure out a node solution. :) And hopefully VPR and the render engine will have more optimizations coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qv_TE1wy1s&feature=youtu.be

MichaelT
01-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Remember to use those feedback options :)

But.. you can always do this too:

Make a polygon with like 10 subdivisions or whatever grid size you want.
Switch to edge mode and select an edge, then select all connected (do this for all such polygons if more than one) and copy the selection
Delete the mesh polygon(s) entirely
Paste back the copied edges.

Now you have a set of 2 point lines.. but these will render like edges.

The plus side is that they will handle like any other edges, you can for instance activate those edges, and control thickness etc..
*But* the interesting part here is that you can control the line thickness by simply changing the "Particle/Line thickness" alone (no need to activate anything else)
+(plus) it will be a lot faster in VPR too :)

Here is small scene you can look at if you need to:

Anyway, hope it helps... I'm off to bed. Way too late (or early) ... again :)

Snosrap
01-14-2018, 07:19 PM
I didn't know about that work around. :) I did discover that negative values need to be used so it maintains its diameter at different viewing distances. Again the downside to this is the per object aspect of it and that it is a scene saving setting and not an object saved attribute. It does render faster in VPR, but there still is a night and day difference between 2018.0 and 2018.0.1.

Updated performance - but still far worse in newer version. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaKfZwl70iU&feature=youtu.be

MichaelT
01-15-2018, 12:42 AM
Hmm, well.. it is much faster for me.. so it is down to the machine setup I think. On the other hand, they did mention in the release notes for the new version that they apparently have an issue with the GI. So maybe that is part of it?
In any case.. the work around does work (as you already know :) ).. it is a bit more work I know, but at least you can treat it like a normal object.

I hope they solve whatever issue they are working on though. But still, since I don't see the speed drop you do.. I think it is especially important to mention this to them.

Snosrap
01-15-2018, 07:36 PM
Thanks MichaelT I have uploaded the model - maybe it's specific to it.

jboudreau
01-16-2018, 07:53 PM
Thanks MichaelT I have uploaded the model - maybe it's specific to it.

This is way slower in 2018.0.1 compared to 2018. Only difference I can see is the left image is a bit darker in 2018 compared to the right image in 2018.0.1. Lightwave 2018 = 2.96 Seconds Lightwave 2018.0.1= 38.02 Seconds, That's a huge difference. I even changed it to the Principles BSDF material since they say it renders faster than the standard one.

jboudreau
01-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Hmm, well.. it is much faster for me.. so it is down to the machine setup I think. On the other hand, they did mention in the release notes for the new version that they apparently have an issue with the GI. So maybe that is part of it?
In any case.. the work around does work (as you already know :) ).. it is a bit more work I know, but at least you can treat it like a normal object.

I hope they solve whatever issue they are working on though. But still, since I don't see the speed drop you do.. I think it is especially important to mention this to them.

It's much faster for you in 2018 or 2018.0.1?

Snosrap
01-16-2018, 08:08 PM
This is way slower in 2018.0.1 compared to 2018. Only difference I can see is the left image is a bit darker in 2018 compared to the right image in 2018.0.1. Lightwave 2018 = 2.96 Seconds Lightwave 2018.0.1= 38.02 Seconds, That's a huge difference. I even changed it to the Principles BSDF material since they say it renders faster than the standard one.

Maybe this is an outlier. I'll pass along the model to the devs.