PDA

View Full Version : 1 in a million...Help???

JonCrowe
12-23-2003, 10:04 AM
I think I know the answer to this already, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

During a capture of a live event there was a power failure. There was no UPS. The clip being captured was using the PIC video codec. When powered returned the clip in question was shown as a temp file. The "clip" was 25 gig in size. I changed the file extension to avi and the proper icon shows up in windows. However, in VT3 the icon of the clip shows up as the movie reel and is not recognized. I know that the capture wasn't stopped correctly due to the loss of power. I am curious if there is any other way to get back what was recorded up to the point of the power failure. As I mentioned above, the customer in question didn't have a UPS and they didn't roll a back-up tape recording.
Thanks for any suggestions and if anything maybe they'll invest in a proper UPS.

Jim Capillo
12-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Does anything play it back (Real, WMV etc) ?

JonCrowe
12-23-2003, 10:22 AM
It won't play in the WMP or Real. In the WMP it says: Format is not supported Error 80040265.

I think this is a lost cause but it never hurts to ask.

Jim Capillo
12-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Yup, probably didn't finish writing the magic. Unless someone has a trick up their sleeve, I'm guessing it's a lost cause. Always pays to have a UPS...... :(

videoguy
12-23-2003, 03:37 PM
i would do a searchon google for a program called avi preview it can display partial files if it can play it your hosed

Paul Lara
12-24-2003, 03:27 AM
...yet one more advantage to NewTek's RTV file format: it does not have to have an EOF (end of file) flag at the end for it to be valid!

Alamovideo
12-29-2003, 06:33 PM
You said you recorded it as a PIC file then changed it to AVI. I would copy what I have (I know it's 25 gigs, hopefully you have room for a copy) and then change the Extension to back to PIC, see if anything plays that, then RTV and any other extension... never know... good luck.

Greg

bradl
12-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Paul Lara
...yet one more advantage to NewTek's RTV file format: it does not have to have an EOF (end of file) flag at the end for it to be valid! Just for reference: MPEG or WMV doesn't need EOF either...