PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself as a new LW user

ilanvfs
01-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick intro. I am a recent convert to lightwave. I have used Maya most of my life in a studio environment but was looking for a personal software for home use that I could make my own shorts on. I always had a weird thing for lightwave back in the day (like 15 years ago) due to the render quality and just something about the layout of the software (as weird as this sounds I think there are benefits to a separate modeller and layout)... I finally came around to testing it out this month with LW 2018 trial and honestly I really love the software so far.

My only fear is that the software doesn't progress or get's shut down but otherwise lightwave with 3rd power tools is a really top notch product for personal use... it's actually quick in a lot of ways than maya because it's simpler and doesn't deal with things you don't need in a non studio environment. The render is insane.. genoma rigs and Rhigget are on par with a lot of what Maya can do.. I wish Lightwave advertised this program better and did some basic marketing and had steady upgrades because a lot of people are like me looking for a nice home use program that is affordable and has a perpetual licence... especially in the 3d printing world but even for other industries as well...

Hoping to see lightwave have a bright future.

As an aside the community is what got me to be so interested. You guys are all awesome and seem to really be advocates for the software and what it can do... and help each other out... nice to see. This kind of loyalty doesn't exist elsewhere.

GraphXs
01-12-2018, 04:26 PM
Great to hear and welcome! LW is a great software...and it has a bright future! I have used it for animated shorts...and it works well for animation. 2018 is a great start to get back into it! Lots of new tgings to play with....and dont forget to check out Odtools,Wtools, truearts, lwcad! Lots of great 3rd party support!

c.1
01-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Cheers and welcome to a fellow Canadian.............even if you are from......Toronto:eek:

SBowie
01-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Lots of us here. ;)

Snosrap
01-12-2018, 08:42 PM
Welcome. We always have room for those in the northern lands. :)

ilanvfs
01-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Welcome. We always have room for those in the northern lands. :)

HAHAHAH I was born in Baltimore and lived in LA up until four months ago... man the winters in Toronto are brutal... Im hiding out inside and just messing with lightwave... couple more winters like this and i'll be a pro at lightwave ahhahahaha I refuse to go outside.

JamesCurtis
01-12-2018, 09:27 PM
Yes, welcome!

c.1
01-12-2018, 10:25 PM
manthe winters in Toronto are brutal... Im hiding out inside and just messing with lightwave... couple more winters like this and i'll be a pro at lightwave ahhahahaha I refuse to go outside.

Move over here to the left coast.....sure every home is $1,000,000.00 + but hey the weather is warmer. I still wear shorts.

ilanvfs
01-12-2018, 11:20 PM
I lived in Vancouver for 2 years. May end up back there on and off if things work out. I don't think I am willing to spend next winter here. Toronto homes are even worse than Vancouver.. At least in Van you get something that looks nice..

c.1
01-12-2018, 11:45 PM
I lived in Vancouver for 2 years...

Wwll we do have some killer micro brews here now so that is an incentive:beerchug:

Cageman
01-13-2018, 04:57 AM
Welcome!

cagey5
01-13-2018, 06:07 AM
Move over here to the left coast.....sure every home is $1,000,000.00 + but hey the weather is warmer. I still wear shorts.

I think you mis-understood the initial post. When he said he was looking to make shorts it wasn't the type you wear. ;) ;)

Niko3D
01-13-2018, 07:58 AM
Welcome!

prometheus
01-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Lots of us here. ;)

There´s always too many canadians on the ice at the same time..it always seems, should be more penatly shots on that:D
Anyway...Welcome to yet another one in this game.

SBowie
01-13-2018, 09:50 AM
HAHAHAH I was born in Baltimore and lived in LA up until four months ago... man the winters in Toronto are brutal... Im hiding out inside and just messing with lightwave... couple more winters like this and i'll be a pro at lightwave ahhahahaha I refuse to go outside.Sorry, but Toronto isn't really even Canada. Real Canadian winters start north of you, around Barrie, and then begin to get serious around Huntsville. (And let's not even talk about Winnipeg, where the winds at Portage and Main can peel the flesh from your bones faster than a river full of piranha.)

Asticles
01-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Welcome abroad!

c.1
01-13-2018, 09:59 AM
I think you mis-understood the initial post. When he said he was looking to make shorts it wasn't the type you wear. ;) ;)

Hahahahahaha.......awesome! :lol:

Greenlaw
01-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Hey, welcome aboard!

Yes, this forum is a great resource for vfx, animation, and 3D printing: some of us here have been at it for decades, so feel free to ask questions.

I'm a long time LightWave user and occasional Maya user. I like using both programs but I have a special affection for LightWave and use it more often. For the type of work I do, LightWave is more direct and usually gets me where I need to be lot faster than other 3D programs.

The movie and TV studios where I work have LightWave, and being so affordable means LightWave is great for my personal projects too!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy using LightWave as much as I have. :)

ilanvfs
01-13-2018, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the intros everyone! Looking forward on keeping you all up to date on my progress and promoting the software as well! Great forum... :O

Farhad_azer
01-13-2018, 11:33 PM
Hi and welcome ilan. Lightwave indeed is an amazing program and this forum is like a new world filled with awesome people ( like myself :) ).

Hope to see a lot of progress and result from you.