PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Serfuce roughness causing bright, grainy pixels on reflective surfaces

JoeJustice
01-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Still working on wrapping my head around the new surfacing system in 2018.

What I'm running into now is really bright pixels on reflective surfaces. Roughness softens the reflections, which makes sense. But then I get this grainy look with bright pixels. Is there a way to smooth that out?

Has anyone done a comprehensive video tutorial on working with the new surface system? Did I miss it?

UnCommonGrafx
01-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Ya, somewhere you missed it.
Youtube search: lw2018 rebelhill antii (I spell his name wrong more often than not)
These are the keystones of learning 2018.

In the manual, search for, "noise workflow" it will be exactly what you need.
A summation of that info informs me to say:
Change your lights samples to something like 128. That's high, I know, but see what it does.
From there, you will either need to change the light, lessen a light or lessen the reflection on the floor. Your combo right now is creating the fireflies. One person suggested the lights were too strong as a suggestion for lessening the fireflies. It worked!

Lots of stuff to try.
Have fun.
Robert

BeeVee
01-12-2018, 03:41 AM
Watch Tobian's tutorial on the environment light https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Environment+Light+tutorial

B

JoeJustice
01-12-2018, 06:42 AM
Thanks guys! I got it with the noise tutorial in the manual. Just needed to increase the samples.