PDA

View Full Version : LW 2018 Documention

pdrake
01-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know if there's documentation available offline? I really don't want to struggle to read it while i'm at my desk or off my lap top.

MSherak
01-10-2018, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know if there's documentation available offline? I really don't want to struggle to read it while i'm at my desk or off my lap top.

2018's Docs are all online.

Greenlaw
01-10-2018, 08:48 PM
I really don't want to struggle to read it while i'm at my desk or off my lap top.

I agree.

I think the online reference is nice for making sure we have the latest information, but sometimes the website seems really slow to me. Plus, I don't always have internet access when I'm running LW.

I'm still hoping they'll publish a pdf edition, even if it isn't updated as frequently. Or maybe bundle up the web files for downloading so we can browse locally?

Heck, I would even pay for a print-on-demand hard copy, if they offered it.

BeeVee
01-11-2018, 05:23 AM
I'm looking into printing a whole "space" rather than individual pages, but I warn you it won't be like the 2015 docs - all nice and neat. That took a lot of time and effort, plus the new docs are not linear, nor do they have page numbers to allow you to go from one section to another. As an example, try printing out the camera reference for LightWave. Got to https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Camera and output PDFs for all the pages, I reckon it'll be eleven PDFs. Okay, if you have Acrobat Pro, you could stitch them into a single PDF, and maybe you don't need the Perspective Match example because you have that handled, so 10 PDFs down to one. Now do the same example with Object Properties and we're up to 15 PDFs already; then there's lights and so on.

Right now, I'm busy working on the bug reports I've received for the docs so far, for which I'm very grateful, and keeping a close eye on the forum to see where better documentation would help comprehension (something I can already see with NRC). I can have a look into such things if you're nice to me. I just worry that I am going to spend a lot of time and effort for something folk are going to say "well, it's nowhere near as good as the 2015 version..." ;)

B

Greenlaw
01-11-2018, 08:16 AM
Thanks, B. I'll check it out today.

Most of my concern at the moment is that the online help seems slow to access...there's a long delay with every click. I'm wondering if the server is just getting slammed by all the new users, and maybe the performance will improve as everybody gets up-to-speed with 2018?

Anyway, the docs themselves are well designed and informative. Keep up the great work. :)

01-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Beevee,

"well, it's nowhere near as good as the 2015 version..."
I, for one, shall not be saying that.
I printed the 2015 manual. It got stuck on a page that crashed the copier. People kept resetting it, throughout the day, me none the wiser. At the end of the day, several reams of paper later and I had 6+ partial manuals printed out, back to back. 1110+ pages.

Nah... I'll let you guys keep it and access it with my throne readers should I need to be mobile.
Robert

BeeVee
01-11-2018, 09:10 AM
:D That's not bad after all considering it's supposed to be 2314 A4/Standard pages. I'd say you got off lightly. As for the speed, we think we have something that will ameliorate the situation.

B

BeeVee
01-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Oh yeah, just remembered as well for the printing thing... I'm not sure how the pages would get printed out: printing 2015 was easy - page 1 followed by page 2 followed by page 3 and so on. The wiki is not linear like that.

B

pdrake
01-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the update. I'll keep checking in.

prometheus
01-11-2018, 11:29 AM
:D That's not bad after all considering it's supposed to be 2314 A4/Standard pages. I'd say you got off lightly. As for the speed, we think we have something that will ameliorate the situation.

B

I recall some old lightwave doc, not sure which version that I tried, if it was lightwave 7-8 or something? it had a slick webpage offline documentation (shooting from the hip) or some script ..which brought forth certain sections while searching, it was quite slick.

otherwise I also like to have pdf files, a combo somehow would be nice for offline reading if possible, at least for the main stuff, new additions may be impossible of course.

I was impressed when I searched for the volumetrics, I found a section of making a volumetric planet and atmosphere, which was the tutorial Anti made not long ago, so things like that are nice..though I actually saw the tutorial previously due to his posts on a certain thread here..but things like that is great, not sure if it would be a good idea to actually put a link on the lightwave feature page referencing that help site, so anyone that is interested actually can get insight in how lightwave works...as well as finding out how the help system actually look and work, it just takes some courage from the lightwave team to expose the insides and outsides of Lightwave, itīs strengths and shortcomings may get more exposed for good and bad, but no false promises for those who get it.

BeeVee
01-11-2018, 12:41 PM
I think it was 8 that used Robodocs, but it was really horrible to manage and expensive too. I didn't think it was great to use either, but you got on okay with it.

For the PDF, you read what I wrote above I take it? Like I said, I will make it possible to print the whole site, but it will be horrible. I think that the ability to add the videos is whaat sets this version apart from previous versions. There is also a space to include user tutorials if you fancy sharing some of your extensive knowledge on the subject? ;)

B

TSpyrison
01-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Does anyone else have issues with reading the 2018 docs on a mobile device?
I get the first page, but no table of contents on the left...

01-11-2018, 01:07 PM
The user tutes are awesome!
I will be incorporating the subd in my classes. Very clear, concise and comprehensive.
Robert

01-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Does anyone else have issues with reading the 2018 docs on a mobile device?
I get the first page, but no table of contents on the left...

Haha, made me look.

If u can, tell it to give u a desktop version.
Or, Beevee, what's the fix?

TSpyrison
01-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Oh, and it asks me to sign in every time...

BeeVee
01-12-2018, 03:09 AM
It's true that reading on my phone is challenging, I don't get the sidebar either for now (stay tuned folks!). However, using the docs I find it easiest to use the search field to find what I want most of the time, rather than using the sidebar, and that does still work.

B

prometheus
01-13-2018, 10:34 AM
I think it was 8 that used Robodocs, but it was really horrible to manage and expensive too. I didn't think it was great to use either, but you got on okay with it.

For the PDF, you read what I wrote above I take it? Like I said, I will make it possible to print the whole site, but it will be horrible. I think that the ability to add the videos is whaat sets this version apart from previous versions. There is also a space to include user tutorials if you fancy sharing some of your extensive knowledge on the subject? ;)

B

Thanks for the clarification BeeVee.

I am sure I can contribute with some mini tutes, will perhaps do so..but after having them up a while on my own page perhaps for feedback..but it may be more of lw 2015 related stuff as to what I can see ahead rigth now, because I honestly do not know if I am going to upgrade or not, and if I do not upgrade..then I do not see any point of making tutes on something I do not got acess too, and if lw 2015 related only, it would require to know it would work in 2018 as well.
Will see after 31 march, I need to verify the pricing for me after that as well which isnīt clear to me at this moment.

BeeVee
01-15-2018, 01:40 AM
I understand. Hopefully, I will be able to add a prometheus tutorial at some point ;)

B

gdkeast
11-05-2018, 03:59 AM
FWIW, if you go to the online doc, there is an ellipsis in the upper right corner and if you click on it, you can export as either a Word doc or pdf.

JamesCurtis
11-06-2018, 09:40 AM
But that is not for the entire manual all at once, as far as I can remember.

BeeVee
11-06-2018, 09:55 AM
No, it'll only be for the page you're on. But do it, and see what it looks like - it's not pretty.

B

Captain Chaos
11-14-2018, 10:32 AM
The user tutes are awesome!
I will be incorporating the subd in my classes. Very clear, concise and comprehensive.
Robert

Where are they?

MonroePoteet
11-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Where are they?

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/User-created+Tutorials

I've found it's really effective to use Google for finding LW2018 documentation by just prefixing the search with "LW2018". The above link was found by doing the search "LW2018 user tutorials".

mTp

jwiede
11-14-2018, 12:55 PM
It would be useful if, along with title and author, there were room for a brief description of what the tutorial covers (plus maybe "tags" for different feature systems?), as well as some indication of "user experience level" expected.

It's not a problem quite yet, but once there's few more of these (imagine, f.e., if the entire William Vaughn catalog were listed here) just title and author won't be enough organization. Better to add them now, rather than try to organize and "backfill" everything later after a bunch are posted without that info.

BeeVee
11-18-2018, 02:10 PM
It's a tough call. Who is to say that what I consider child's play isn't actually advanced for other users or vice versa? Also, the quantity of tutorials isn't enough yet to start putting them in separate pigeonholes. I'd love to see more - how about you write me one, John? :)

B

kolby
11-19-2018, 10:25 AM
When it comes to documentation, could anyone explain to me how this works?

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Global+Illumination+tab

Brute Force:
Rays - It is the number of brute force rays to use per pixel sample when not using interpolated or in regions of interpolated GI when interpolated samples could not be generated.

It seems to me that it does not do anything at all. So either it should be deleted because it is misleading or it should be explained in the documentation how and when it works.

Also, if it is true, I have read somewhere that the value of the primary rays in the interpolated GI in 2018 is internally multiplied by some number, so it would be useful to include in the documentation how much that number is. This could help users of previous versions better understand the GI in 2018, and why can be slower than previous version with the same settings because in fact it uses more rays than was entered.

jwiede
11-19-2018, 02:13 PM
When it comes to documentation, could anyone explain to me how this works?

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Global+Illumination+tab

Brute Force:
Rays - It is the number of brute force rays to use...

Might as well just replace with:

Brute Force:
Rays - see Brute Force: Rays

and call it a day. :devil:

Seriously? Six words in the label is defined using itself?!?!