PDA

View Full Version : Not seeing splash screen in LW2018 trial install

jdw
01-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Hi,

I'm interested in trying out LW2018. I'm currently running 11.6.2. (But, I've been using LW since the original Video Toaster version ;-)

After download, installation and running LW Layout (or Modeler), I'm not getting the splash screen showing the trial serial number as indicated by the install / register instructions on the Lightwave trial download / install web page. I just get an License Error prompt stating "that my license key wasn't found. Running in Discovery Mode."

BTW - I'm using a USB hardware key with my current installation of LW 11 if that makes any difference.

Anyone have any ideas as how to proceed?

Thanks!

JamesCurtis
01-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Take out the USB Key and try to launch it. I thought I read somewhere that a key could confuse the launch process - at least as far as the trial is concerned.

Otherwise, If it's still a no go, try a re-install to see if that fixes it at all.

Others may chime in as well with other suggestions.

jdw
01-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Hi James,

Thanks for the quick response. Unplugging the dongle before launching LW2018 worked and LW2018 is running now -- sort of...

The issue now is that if I put the USB hardware key back in and launch LW2018 again, it reverts back to Discovery mode with a license error. I use My licensed LW 11.6.2 most every day, so it will get a little clumsy plugging and unplugging the dongle (not the least of which making me a little nervous).

Hopefully Newtek figures out a way around this or at least they mention it in their readme file that is included with the installer.

In the meantime, I will just set aside some time to really give the trial a try and see if it adds $300 worth of enhancements to my current workflow ;-)

Jim

gjjackson
01-09-2018, 05:23 PM
I had to drag the license key straight on to the application in discovery mode. It seems no longer necessary to drag it onto the splash screen. This is if the Trial version is the same as purchased one.

jdw
01-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Dragging the license key onto the splash screen worked for me. When I restarted LW2108 it ran just fine. It's only when I re-inserted the hardware key that it reverted back to Discovery Mode (and no splash screen).

The error prompt did change slightly though (I've marked out the Product Lock number):

License Error
The licensing system found one or more license files, but could not detect any usable license keys.
Contact NewTek to get a permanent license key (Product Lock:#####).
Running in Discovery Mode.

BeeVee
01-10-2018, 01:47 AM
I think the problem is that you have one licensed with the software dongle, and one with the hardware dongle. You might be able to run with both if you edit the license key to contain both licenses. Open the license.lwk file in a text editor.

B

jdw
01-10-2018, 07:27 AM
I think the problem is that you have one licensed with the software dongle, and one with the hardware dongle. You might be able to run with both if you edit the license key to contain both licenses. Open the license.lwk file in a text editor.

B

Thanks for the response. Nope, that didn't work. Same error.

I assume I added the other license key correctly. I just opened the .lwk file from LW 11.6.2 and copied the text. Opened the .lwk for LW2018 and placed my cursor at the end of the key / text, pressed return and pasted the other license key, saved it, ran LW2018 and dragged it onto the workspace. LW indicated that it had accepted the license key and asked me to restart the app. I did note that the license key for LW 11.6.2. (with the hardware key) is WAY more complex -- it even includes my email address.

I assume NewTek is confident the trial version should install and work as intended on systems that have a prior version of Lightwave installed using a hardware dongle based license. Surely they tested this configuration, I can't be the only one out here that has this setup.

Thanks again.

dee
01-10-2018, 07:32 AM

B

Doesn't work, even removing all licenses, except 2018, from ...\ .NewTek\LightWave\ leads to discovery mode when dongle is inserted.

BeeVee
01-10-2018, 07:48 AM
Hmm,

Not altogether sure then. Will ponder...

B

raymondtrace
01-10-2018, 09:49 AM
I'm experiencing the same issue as I also use dongle licensing. Here's a way to look at the glass half full...

This is not likely a significant problem unless your dongle is in a hard to reach spot. The presence of the dongle is also a nice tactile tool to remind you of which version you're working in.

Also, the issue disappears in less than 30 days.

jdw
01-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Thanks Raymondtrace. That's the approach I'll take -- just remove or replace the dongle as needed.

I'm just a little surprised that NewTek let this slip through. I would hope that they would either: mention it in the readme file; mention it in the readme file and offer a workaround; fix it ;-)

raymondtrace
01-10-2018, 11:05 AM
My suspicion is that those of us still using dongles are in a fading minority so this was not a well tested case.

BeeVee
01-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Please make a bug report using the Feedback Agent.

B

jdw
01-10-2018, 11:57 AM
Please make a bug report using the Feedback Agent.

B

Thanks, I've submitted a bug report using the Feedback Agent.

BTW - At first I couldn't get past "Completed 6/7" with the only tab left being for file attachments. But, I didn't need to attach a file. Well, after a minute or two it occured to me that it REQUIRES a file attachment. So, I came up with a screen grab and attached that.

jdw
01-10-2018, 12:06 PM
My suspicion is that those of us still using dongles are in a fading minority so this was not a well tested case.

Well, customer support has already replied to my bug report. Apparently the "throwing an error and not explaining why" is by design...

Here's an FAQ link I was sent:
https://www.lightwave3d.com/support/faq/registration/?t=5;i=8;#registering-lightwave-8

Jim

jdw
01-12-2018, 09:03 AM
I discovered something by accident today.

I planned on working with LW2018 to do a little more exploring this morning and inadvertently started LW11 (that uses a hardware dongle), but it started and ran just fine -- without the hardware key inserted...

So I guess since LW11 was designed to work either with a hardware key or software key, it doesn't actually need the hardware key as long as I have a valid license key file installed?