PDA

View Full Version : Remeber the Joy of Six and STEVE BOWIE

MoonCat213
01-08-2018, 07:14 PM
This reminds me of LightWave v6.0. Remember how much LW6 sucked? Remember StealthNet I'll bet the Sherriff does and does not care. And I will bet he never has setup network rendering. HEY STEVE BOWIE, HELP ME setup LightWave NRC!!! Call me on the phone if you want: [removed]
-grassy ***

WaveRider
01-08-2018, 07:34 PM
It did? I remember getting a lot of work done in 6.0 and 6.5.

Other than that...what are you trying to say?

Snosrap
01-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Actually I thought LW6 was awesome. LW5.6 sucked! :)

Ma3rk
01-08-2018, 10:13 PM

I did quite bit of work with 5.6 & had to do some mental readjustment when 6 came out with all it's "newness".

8 however blew chunks.

Gungho3D
01-09-2018, 12:57 AM

Compared to 5.0, 5.6 was "a thing of beauty" ... :-). Somehow I skipped "the joy of" series and went straight to 7 etc etc, which, yes, made 5.6 look ancient :-)

paulk
01-09-2018, 12:15 PM
So, now we're going to have a b*tchfest about older versions of Lightwave? Wanna borrow my TurboSilver floppies?

Gungho3D
01-09-2018, 05:07 PM
So, now we're going to have a b*tchfest about older versions of Lightwave? Wanna borrow my TurboSilver floppies?

Haha :) not at all. There is a reason why we've stuck with LW, it's been an affordable means of getting stuff done fast ... even if it has meant inventing a 1000 work-arounds :D

paulk
01-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Haha :) not at all. There is a reason why we've stuck with LW, it's been an affordable means of getting stuff done fast ... even if it has meant inventing a 1000 work-arounds :D

Didn't Mao Tse-Dong say something like that? "Let a 1000 workarounds bloom"?

Ernest
01-10-2018, 04:38 PM
If we're not going to have a batchfest about ancient versions of Lightwave, can we have one about old versions of the Lightwave forum? ;-P

Wade
01-10-2018, 04:56 PM
I wrote a poem about waiting on 6.1 - if you can find and sent it to me i'll pay! Really it was a good fun well written poem and it has vanished. 6.1 had some big improvements and lots of bugs squashed if memory serves.

shrox
01-10-2018, 05:04 PM
If we're not going to have a batchfest about ancient versions of Lightwave, can we have one about old versions of the Lightwave forum? ;-P

Oh, I remember when the forum was just a weekly column in the local newspaper...

Greenlaw
01-10-2018, 09:07 PM
I remember everybody I worked with getting stressing out over using LW 6 in production. It really wasn't ready when it came out. I stayed with 5.6 for production work at the time.

LW 6.5 was a much better release and I got a ton of work done with that version.

But I didn't feel the 'joy' until LW 7 came out. :)

Asticles
01-11-2018, 12:37 AM
I do not know why, but there have always been problems with the even number versions

spaulsen
01-12-2018, 02:46 PM
This reminds me of LightWave v6.0. Remember how much LW6 sucked? Remember StealthNet I'll bet the Sherriff does and does not care. And I will bet he never has setup network rendering. HEY STEVE BOWIE, HELP ME setup LightWave NRC!!! Call me on the phone if you want:
-grassy ***

Probably some guidelines on the forum I can forward regarding appropriate use. If you are not able to locate them, happy to send along if needed. But usually a basic tenet is not insulting people.

MoonCat213
05-18-2018, 11:44 AM
I am very sorry about that. Clearly I wish I could delete my posts of grief but the moderator will not allow that. My goodness the manic highs from using LightWave 25 years are ecstatic! Unfortunately, the lows are dark and ugly and when my network render controller does not work I feel like everything is over and I've been unfairly cast into an abyss where I will never, ever network render again... Turns out I just had to tweak the path for plug-ins and LW2018 NRC was working, but still it would suddenly drop render nodes and could not render multiple scenes in a queue. So I tried NRC for LW2018, but now I am back to BNR 7.15. Still having problems network rendering LW2018 darnit. Don't know if I'm becoming an expert or an idiot. Grateful I can still network render LW2015.3 with BNR 7.15 but I will keep tinkering with LW2018 for this is where I want to be… or not to be? No that's not the question. I want to be in LW2018 network rendering on 10 nodes like I've been doing with LightWave for years and years. Thank you for understanding.

Chuck
05-18-2018, 12:16 PM
This reminds me of LightWave v6.0. Remember how much LW6 sucked? Remember StealthNet I'll bet the Sherriff does and does not care. And I will bet he never has setup network rendering. HEY STEVE BOWIE, HELP ME setup LightWave NRC!!! Call me on the phone if you want: [removed]
-grassy ***

You could have very simply posted just "Please someone, help me set up LightWave NRC," and gotten a thread on the topic and probably helpful in any number of ways even if in the end you sorted your own issue. Instead you took opportunity to personally denigrate Steve, and to knock your least favorite version of LightWave and got a thread that's mostly everyone else posting their least favorite versions of LightWave, why someone else's least favorite version was actually OK, and count 'em, not one single useful word about NRC setup.

Give that some thought next time you go to compose a post about a LightWave problem you need help with.

And that "Don't insult people" thing. That's not optional, so just plain do not do that ever again. Ever.

And this thread is done.

SBowie
05-18-2018, 01:53 PM
You could have very simply posted just "Please someone, help me set up LightWave NRC," and gotten a thread on the topic and probably helpful in any number of ways ... And that "Don't insult people" thing. That's not optional, so just plain do not do that ever again. Ever.

And this thread is done.Well, thanks, everyone, for sticking up for me. Truth be told, I skipped 6 for quite a long time, though I don't why anyone would care. And, what I know about network rendering could easily be encapsulated in one short paragraph, so I doubt I could help much with that. AND - finally - the reason for this post ... you don't get to be me if you have a thin skin, so 'no offense taken', onward and upward. :)

Matt
05-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Not quite sure why you’re calling out Steve Bowie on this thread.

NRC I will admit is not where it should be, but it does work, it’s more flexible and powerful than Layout’s SreamerNet II.

I’m pretty sure once you solve your issue, you’ll see the benefits.

PM Me