PDA

View Full Version : Is vertex limit for polys absolute?

Archigram
12-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Can the vertex limit of 1023 for a single polygon be raised? I'm making complex geometric shapes with rendered polygon edges and keep coming up against this limit. If I have to divide my shapes in two I get a stray line in the middle which I don't want. I've looked in the manual and in preferences and haven't found a way to increase the vertex limit. Thanks.

wizlon
12-23-2003, 07:15 AM
you could try editing your config file, or use the knife tool, this should'nt give you a visable edge/join just make sure you merge points if you still have problems.

mattclary
12-23-2003, 07:22 AM
If you are hitting the limit, you will see it before you get to Layout. Modeler won't let you exceed the limit. If you are seeing odd render issues, it isn't the limit that's causing the problem.

edit: And yeah, it's a limit, not suggestion.

Mylenium
12-23-2003, 11:48 AM
The limit cannot be changed - the array that holds the vertex data is limited to a certain length of bytes which would require totally rewriting of LW if you wanted to change it. Your problem can be solved, however. Just assign different surface names to your
polygons and then use surface borders only as edges.

Mylenium

Archigram
12-25-2003, 07:46 AM
Merry Xmas folks, and thanks for your help. I found that yes, I can get the results I want by 1) merging points (welding if necessary) 2) assigning different surface names and 3) rendering "unshared edges" (not surface borders). Now I can get the look of a single polygon of 1023-plus vertices with rendered edges, though it is actually made of 2 adjacent polys. Thanks a million guys!

db