PDA

View Full Version : Help working with the new spotlight lights in Lightwave 2018!!

Paul_Boland
01-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Hi Folks.

Well, I'm lost already! LOL!! Surely it can't be this hard to get a good render out of a spotlight in Lightwave 2018...but yet I can't seem to figure it out.

I designed a simple box room with a sphere in it. I put a spotlight in it. And here's the render:

Here's the setup:

A few questions...

1. Why is my render so bad? It's all grainy and terrible looking.

2. How do I resize a spotlight? I do understand that lights now have sizes, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to resize the spotlight??? Surely Intensity is not the size???

3. What are those balls of light on the left side of my render?

This is a very simple scene and setup and yet the end result is not what is expected at all. Where am I going wrong here? Any help appreciated? And yes, I've spent the last two hours reading the online manual and watching videos on YouTube and I still can't figure this out.

Paul_Boland
01-07-2018, 09:46 PM

If I turn off Global Illumination then the grainy nature of the render disappears, but the great lighting of the room goes with it. Still have those light balls though.

Kryslin
01-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Ok...
1) What are your camera's min and max samples? It looks like Min samples needs to come up.
2) What reconstruction filter are you using (Render Properties -> Buffers, click on each buffer)
3) What is your threshold? As I've found out, Pixel Radius is determined by Filter Type. Gaussian = 1. Box = .5, Mitchell = 2, Lancoz =3.
4) Do you have the denoiser enabled? You have to enable it on a per buffer basis, and then enable ie on the render tab of the render properties panel.

I would start by bringing up Min samples. The first pass will look terrible, then the renderer will begin to refine the image. Then, Bring up Max samples.
Once the issue goes away, start backing down on max samples, until render times are decent. Then, enable the denoiser.

For most who have never dealt with a path tracer, it seems like a black art... It just takes time to learn your way around.

Those bright spots on the left are what are termed fireflies. They've been bedeviling most new users of 2018.

samurai_x
01-07-2018, 09:49 PM
Read up on pathtracers for any render engine out there. That will help to understand it a bit compared to the old lw renderer.

gjjackson
01-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Check the manual

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Removing+Noise+workflow#RemovingNoiseworkflow-StillNoisy?

Paul_Boland
01-07-2018, 10:25 PM
Thanks very much, Folks! With the help here, I'm making progress, getting a smoother render, but the render times are harsh, four minutes twenty three seconds for this one frame! Ouch!! As for the "fireflies", I guess we'll have to wait for Newtek to patch it. But appreciate all this help.

DogBoy
01-08-2018, 02:47 AM
OK,
1. That is a Point Light and not a SpotLight which is why...
2. you are seeing the reflections of your Light in every surface, because though you have Unseen by Camera set, the light is still a physical thing and still shows up in reflections. It's why you can see a glowing ball in the every viewport except the Camera one.
3. Fireflies aren't generally the size of cricket/base balls

So
1) do you want your walls to be shiny? I'm guessing you are using Principled as the material on the box, so if you don't want shiny turn off Specular or turn it down & ramp up Roughness much higher. At the moment you have gloss paint airbrushed onto really smooth walls, or to put it another way this a brand new filing cabinet with unblemished paintwork.
2) Point Lights don't have size, so make it a Spherical Light if you want to change the size.
3) Guessing by how bright that light is at .5 lux I'd guess it's a small box (or a drawer in a filing cabinet). You are using an LED Lightbulb to light it, which is why it is blowing out on the ceiling & floor. You have to consider scale much more in 2018 than before.

Paul_Boland
01-08-2018, 12:42 PM

Want to say a big THANKS for all the feedback here and elsewhere. With the info I got here, and working my way through the documentation since late last night, I'm getting to grips with the new Lightwave 2018 and how it works. It is indeed a very different beast to work with but it's easy enough to pick up if you take your time, read the documentation, and get some help for the forum here. I'll still be doing some more tests before I venture off on my next big project with Lightwave 2018, but I'm getting there. Only down side is, the renderer is definitely slower than the old one in Lightwave 2015.

- - - Updated - - -

1. That is a Point Light and not a SpotLight...

Bahaha!! Yep, it is. Sorry, typo made at 5:00a.m. last night.

MichaelT
01-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Yeah... it is slower. But by tweaking things right.. you can still get good results in about 1-2 minutes (with acceptable amount of noise. Everything is activated in this image. Including caustics.. but it doesn't show that well) But yeah, it is a very different beast, and takes some learning :):

DogBoy
01-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Only down side is, the renderer is definitely slower than the old one in Lightwave 2015.
You've only had it for a day. Don't jump to hasty conclusions. It is not the same renderer, and you are really going to have to learn a whole lot of new tricks.

JamesCurtis
01-11-2018, 05:20 PM
It seems that the whole idea of the old "Hit Render Button, and Animate" has just hit an all-time low because of all the work involved in getting settings "just right". I doubt if clients are going to increase their pay to artists because it now takes longer. A way to have premade presets based on the quality needed for a specific purpose is sorely needed now!

I'm still planning on buying the new LW 2018 next week though. I'm 62 right now, and it'll probably be the last version I buy before I retire due to increasing medical difficulties.

RebelHill
01-11-2018, 06:22 PM
all the work involved in getting settings "just right". I doubt if clients are going to increase their pay to artists because it now takes longer.

Except it doesnt, its just unfamiliar. Getting surfaces looking good, getting the renderer optimised for quality/rendertime has never been easier or faster in LW.

A way to have premade presets based on the quality needed for a specific purpose is sorely needed now!

Not so easily doable, because those settings are going to be somewhat scene specific depending on what materials, lights, etc you use in a given scene.