PDA

View Full Version : Tape Measure Type Animation

squarewulf
01-07-2018, 02:27 PM
I don't know why but all my attempts aren't working. Seems like such a simple animation, but for some reason i'm stuck...

I need to create measuring tape coming out, which means the object essentially needs to collapse inside the measuring tape body so that it doesn't stick out the back. I'm trying to do it nodaly with poly move, gradients, and nulls, but it's not working. Any ideas?

jeric_synergy
01-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Yeah: cheat. Unless you actually SEE the tape rolling up, which would be pretty unusual in a standard tape measure, just make it vanish using a clip map.

PRO TIP: You only need 2 pixels in the clip map.

Ztreem
01-07-2018, 04:02 PM
I agree, cheat. The easiest way that I can think of is using an effector set to plane and placed where you want your object to collapse.

Ztreem
01-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Here's a scene file.

Ztreem
01-07-2018, 04:08 PM
PRO TIP: You only need 2 pixels in the clip map.

PRO TIP 2: you don't even have to use a single pixel, use gradients or procedural textures. :D

pinkmouse
01-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Cheat. Use a morph. That way you can easily attach a tip. Pin the texture to the tip end as well, that way it'll look like it's vanishing inside the body.

jeric_synergy
01-07-2018, 06:32 PM
PRO TIP 2: you don't even have to use a single pixel, use gradients or procedural textures. :D
Hmmm, #aflw, but that's better, yessssssss >:^P because then you can't "lose" the bitmap. Although right offhand (your file probably shows) I don't know how you'd make it relative to the object space w/nodes&gradients, whereas w/a bitmap I know EXACTLY how to make it relative to the object space, so you can move it around.

;)

JamesCurtis
01-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Have you considered DStorm's Trailer plugin for the tape? Advantage of it would be the ability to follow null animated path.

jeric_synergy
01-07-2018, 08:49 PM
BTW, I used MY trick back in the day to vanish a crane's "cable" at the top pulley.

I can't recall it right now, but don't we have a plane deformer that squashes/clamps all points?

squarewulf
01-07-2018, 11:30 PM
I ended up using a a morph and nulls, subtracted the objects position from the null to affect the morph amount. Worked pretty well. Thanks for all the suggestions!

squarewulf
01-07-2018, 11:36 PM
I agree, cheat. The easiest way that I can think of is using an effector set to plane and placed where you want your object to collapse.

This is way easier than what I did... so simple. thank you!

Ztreem
01-08-2018, 01:16 AM
BTW, I used MY trick back in the day to vanish a crane's "cable" at the top pulley.

I can't recall it right now, but don't we have a plane deformer that squashes/clamps all points?

Yes, effector. That what I used, test my scene. :)

squarewulf
01-08-2018, 01:14 PM
The problem with the effector method is you can not rotate the effector. So the tape measure must always be facing down one axis.

Ztreem
01-08-2018, 05:41 PM
The problem with the effector method is you can not rotate the effector. So the tape measure must always be facing down one axis.

True, forgot about that.

Workaround: setup you scene place everything as you want it. Make a null. Parent everything to this even cameras, lights and backgrounds. Rotate the null until the measuretape is aligned with a global axis. Now you can use the effector method.

Other methods is:
clipmapping (donít show in opengl)
Morph (can screw up UV texturing)
Bones
Displacement
Bend modifier etc...

Ztreem
01-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Another old trick is to use spline displacement. Fast and easy to setup and follows the object rotation and allow the measuretape to be deformed along the spline if you measure a bent surface. (Shows in opengl, no need for vpr)

Setup:
1.Make a long plane along z axis with several segments.
2.Add a bone and rest it ( shortcut ’r’).
3.Add spline displacement.

Now you can move the bone along Z and the plane will collapse when moved in one direction. Use the spline disp tool in the modify tab to adjust the spline if it needs another shape than straight.

jeric_synergy
01-08-2018, 09:01 PM

Ugh. That's sucky. Can you parent it to the tape itself? That would be less of a problem.

Of course, Nodal Displacement would allow you to clamp points on any vector, If You've Got The Math For It.

squarewulf
01-08-2018, 10:10 PM
You could animate the tape extending from 0 - 100, save as an MDD. Apply the MDD back onto the object controlled by a null. More over, you could even assign the MDD to follow the null in z position accurate to the length of the tape with a bit of simple math.

jeric_synergy
01-08-2018, 10:56 PM

Is this even true? I was dinking around w/this (sorry, still haven't looked at Ztreem's Scene) and merely parenting the Effector to the tape seemed to work. I had to work in Local Space (I think, so I did) and it seemed to work fine.

BTW, "Effector" could use a UI overhaul: if values don't matter in Plane Mode, they should be ghosted.

squarewulf
01-09-2018, 01:59 PM
I was dinking around w/this (sorry, still haven't looked at Ztreem's Scene) and merely parenting the Effector to the tape seemed to work. I had to work in Local Space (I think, so I did) and it seemed to work fine.

Care to attach the scene file? I can't seem to get it to work like that.

Ztreem
01-09-2018, 04:36 PM
I just tested to do this in blender as I’m trying to learn it. Super easy with animated booleans, sad that LW still doesn’t have that.

jeric_synergy
01-10-2018, 06:53 PM
Care to attach the scene file? I can't seem to get it to work like that.

Sorry: it was so simple I didn't save it. OTOH, I didn't check all the things one might want to check either, so maybe I'm 'way off base.

But: it was just the Effector null as a child to the tape...oh heck, I'll rebuild it: Tell me if this does what you wanted:139346

EDIT: OH, wait, this one doesn't work. Anyway, along those lines. Use Ztreem's, or my clipmap method.

EDIT2: Oh, right I used morphing...maybe...