PDA

View Full Version : ScreamerNet in 8

gschrick
12-23-2003, 06:56 AM
I have not seen anything about improving the Screamernet for version 8, so can I assume it's staying relatively the same? And has anyone gone through an upgrade with a network set up? Is it a pain to reconfigure the nodes?

Since I had some problems configuring the screamer, I am also curious if anyone is using any of the third party net render utilities. Not to start a comparison argument, but the network renderer in MAX is very nice, even includes scheduling. Is there anything out there like that for LW?

I have been working with Lightwave's screamer since the Amiga days have never been completely happy with it's setup and control.

Thanks for any advice...

Steve McRae
12-23-2003, 08:12 AM
. . . get a hold of spider - it really is great and should solve any problems you are having . . . and it is totally free now . . .

http://www.stationx.com

beverins
12-23-2003, 08:44 AM
I used to use TequilaScream - that works great too, but doesn't have the "run as a service" option, which means that you have to go to each PC and run TequilascreamNodes before you start it up.

I know that Spider has a Run as Service option too, but for whatever reason, I just couldnt get it to work. ButterflyNet Render does a much better job at rendering, worked out of the box. Spider... well... I guess I'm stupid, because I tried following the directions as supplied and couldn't get it to work. It saw the network, saw the config files, saw the screamernets, but it just never rendered anything.

However, Spider is free, and is a lot better than Amleto or Lightnet if you can get it to work (well, it seems better anyway LOL) To note: I could get Lightnet working, but it was a pain to administer - Lord help thee should you need to abort a render and then restart it.... Amleto produced results even worse than Spider LOL (didnt even see the network)

ButterflyNet has a 30 day trial thing with one node if you wanna try it out.

So pretty much, I rate ButterflyNet as #1 currently, Tequilascream as #2 by a close margin and Spider as "I dunno" since I can't get it to work.

Steve McRae
12-23-2003, 09:31 AM
. . . yeah - I could never get lightnet to run properly . . . I was just about to buy butterfly when spider was released . . . it looks like a good product . . . I know that spider works best with unc paths - that seems to help a lot of people . . .

Steve McRae
12-23-2003, 09:39 AM
another tip too . . . make sure that the spider account that is set up on install has rights to any shared folders that may be used within your screamernet setup . . .

papou
12-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by beverins
I used to use TequilaScream - ... you have to go to each PC and run TequilascreamNodes before you start it up.

if you put TequilaNode in the startup...? U don't have to run