PDA

View Full Version : Sunsky Light, volumetrics2018..and turning a pointlight in to a sunlight with proper

prometheus
01-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Hi folks.

with the new lights, the volumetrics has moved to the global volumetric scattering, the new distant light has replaced the dome light so we now have a sunlight with softer shadows if we set the angle right, now...a problem is however
that this distant light doesnīt work with the volumetric scattering as I know of, but otherwise itīs great as a sunlight since we can use rotation values and also add sunspot or sk sunmotion modifier to it, but still not volumetrics.

Now..what can we do instead, well we can try the point light or spherical light, those will work with the volumetric scattering, but that poses a couple of problems, firstly itīs not rotationally and you have to place it manually by moving it around in place ..which can be a bit tricky, and if you do by positioning instead of using rotational values, you will not be able to use suncolor with dp sunsky, the suncolor is set by entering the lights color envelope and there you can add the suncolor modifier, but it will not work if you havenīt added sunspot modifier or the sk sunmotion modifier in the ligths motion tab, so you have to add that first, I think sk sunmotion modifier works for me since it allows me to use the rotation pitch, bank and heading controls, while the sunspot modifier may be good for location and daylight settings.

when this is set up, you can have a pointlight or spherica light behave more like the distant sunlight, and working with volumetric scattering, and with soft shadows, though it is a bit tricky to get it to cast good strong lightbeams from an object, the actual sun distance may need to be set quite close to the object it should cast rays behind and through.

Previz..only screenshot, the sunlight act more as a true sunlight with suncolor..so when pitch rotating, the suncolor changes to more orange red, and with sunmotion it will be controllable at a distance more like a sun, as mentioned, if distant light was working with volumetric scattering, that may have been the better light to use though..but this is a workaround.
The great thing with mixing volumetric scattering with sunsky, it is that it gives a more realistic depth and light in air scattering.

This is a bit complex to get a picture of with only this description, I will try and record it..but I have so little time now.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139251&d=1515291240

prometheus
01-06-2018, 08:44 PM
and another render from final render, had to delve in to the noise filtering options and set the filter size at 2 and tolerance at 4, by default the tolerance is 0.1 but with radiosity and these volumetric lights, that would yield to much fireflies.

1 minute, 15 seconds for this, with volumetric skattering Gi, and sigma one material, the object is the mercury content, cloned it as an instance for the second ojbect, works fine with volumetric light and scattering, too note is that sunsky is probably slower than a standard gradient to render, but much more realism of course.
Oh..lensflare works well also..to follow the actual point light, though make sure you use sk sunmotion modifier on the point light, and use sk suncolor as mentioned for the lights color envelope.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139255&d=1515296612

Digital Hermit
01-06-2018, 11:40 PM
I know you are feeling out the technical side of things with this, but the first render is more aesthetically pleasing to me.

prometheus
01-07-2018, 10:35 AM
I know you are feeling out the technical side of things with this, but the first render is more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Funny..I donīt think it is, the first image has lesser quality and doesnīt portray how the sun scatters in the air in the same realistic way as in the second image, itīs just that, the rest is just testing two objects where on is instanced, and it also has a better shading model and also GI, which I think the first one didnīt have, the GI may be a bit too high though, so that is the story.

But what is it with the Image you feel more aesthetically? because it is simpler with the figures, or something in the background? perhaps a more zoom in in the first image, and a more contrast between darkness? the second image as I said may have too much of lighting of GI on it, usually I reduce GI to a quite low value if the sun is going down and shine behind something, because naturally the sky light also emitts less environmental light to cast on any object, so it should in fact be darker me thinks.

Oh yeah..glad you recognize I am just testing the technically aspect of it ...foremost:D

Asticles
01-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Why don't parent the point light to a null and rotate it to control the sun position?

prometheus
01-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Why don't parent the point light to a null and rotate it to control the sun position?

I donīt think that would work, sk suncolor uses the sk_sunmotion modifier to determine pitch distance etc, and I think a null ctrl would overide those modifiers, thus you wouldnīt be able to get correct suncolor when the sun goes down, further more...you can not control the sundistance, which you can in the settings of the sk_sunmotion, and that is vital to be able to control how strong the rays will be behind an object.

This works pretty well, except you need to set it up, for the old setup with dpont, there is alsa a script that usually sets all this up, though in this case we Must use the point light or spherical light, since the distant light in the new volumetrics system doesnīt work with volumetric scattering.

So itīs not really a matter only of rotating the point light as distant light/sunlight, itīs about aquiring the right color decay, and sun distance.

Asticles
01-07-2018, 11:50 AM
A proper sky system

prometheus
01-07-2018, 01:23 PM
A proper sky system

You say A, I say...is needed.

From this to that...Daz studios sky system isnīt bad, quite nice in fact with Iray.

Asticles
01-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Almost every render engine has one. I liked very much Thea's one.

prometheus
01-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Almost every render engine has one. I liked very much Thea's one.

Yes..I tried and emphasise that when I heard about the new volumetric engine, and before that even..but to no good end for this release, I think Matt said Anti was looking in to that..so I am hoping they are working on i now and maybe a releas ASAP.

Asticles
01-07-2018, 04:06 PM
I hope so