PDA

View Full Version : Any Light Presets Available for LW 2018?

JamesCurtis
01-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Are there any light presets in LW 2018 for the new lights, such as effects like there was a available for earlier versions? I see no presets in the preset shelf.

TheLexx
01-06-2018, 02:46 PM
https://vimeo.com/246048313#t=4m15s

:)

UnCommonGrafx
01-06-2018, 03:19 PM
For lights, there never were. IES was about it.
But now, get OD, get a shedload of ies, hdr, etc.

OD really is a tool to have upon purchase of 2018.

Robert

JamesCurtis
01-06-2018, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. But I could have sworn that there were effects that were attachable to Spotlights to show effects such as underwater ripples and other effects in the beam or influenced by it. But maybe I'm confusing something else.

scallahan1
01-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Just checking, it doesn't appear that it actually includes the lights/HDR's and such, just the awesome Preset system itself. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Steve

PS> Gonna get that Pie Menu thingy, though. It's a work of art.

TheLexx
01-06-2018, 04:26 PM
Just checking, it doesn't appear that it actually includes the lights/HDR's and such, just the awesome Preset system itself. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Steve

PS> Gonna get that Pie Menu thingy, though. It's a work of art.

From the purchase email:-

"BONUS:
As a gift, I figured I should pass on my IES Presets... they'll probably be all the IES's you'll ever need.
simply unzip this into your config folder (where you put the license key), into the presets/OD_Presets/OD_IES folder"

scallahan1
01-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Standing corrected. That's a lot of IES's. :)

gar26lw
01-06-2018, 05:15 PM
For lights, there never were. IES was about it.
But now, get OD, get a shedload of ies, hdr, etc.

OD really is a tool to have upon purchase of 2018.

Robert

OD, global materials, bevel++, lwcad, adv placement, 3rd powers stuff should all be bundled with lw by default. imho :)
same for ifw, if nt or wtools could just take it on.

a really good set of presets would be a real bonus to lightwave. it helps a lot with modo and gets people up to speed, as does maya nav btw ;)

JamesCurtis
01-06-2018, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. But I could have sworn that there were effects that were attachable to Spotlights to show effects such as underwater ripples and other effects in the beam or influenced by it. But maybe I'm confusing something else.

Just checked:

I was in reference to the VLight Editor and the VLight Preset effects you could get with the then existing Distant, Point, and Spot Lights. I have them in 2015.3, and I'm not referring to anything from IFW2 BTW. Those are in separate directories themselves.

oliverhotz
01-06-2018, 05:46 PM
I could easily add a Light Presets..

prometheus
01-06-2018, 05:53 PM
distinguish "volumetric" Lights from lights, normal lights never had any presets, volumetric lights had it, previously I often used volumetric lights in sprite mode for whispy gaseous space nebula or gas clouds..that kind of workflow and option is now gone, and I will have to look at other ways for that, so that is a bit pity, havenīt gone so far that I have tried the new lights, I do not think there is any option to use presets with the volumetric intergrator "use volumetric scattering"

But within the volumetrics tab and volumetric scattering, you can enter " use nodes, and from there add various texturs as you did with volumetric lights, and then feed the textures in to the volumetric intergrators scattering input, and also the scattering weight, so that is similar to some of the volumetric effects previously, but it is harder to set up, and since it seem to lack a sprite mode, it will not be as fast if you would like to use such effects I was used too with nebulas.
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139246&d=1515286353

gar26lw
01-06-2018, 05:59 PM

i don’t suppose there is any way you could add alternative scene navigation mouse/keyboard shortcuts? to get maya style navigation.

also, alternate gizmos, in maya style.

oliverhotz
01-06-2018, 05:59 PM
distinguish "volumetric" Lights from lights, normal lights never had any presets, volumetric lights had it, previously I often used volumetric lights in sprite mode for whispy gaseous space nebula or gas clouds..that kind of workflow and option is now gone, and I will have to look at other ways for that, so that is a bit pity, havenīt gone so far that I have tried the new lights, I do not think there is any option to use presets with the volumetric intergrator "use volumetric scattering"

But within the volumetrics tab and volumetric scattering, you can enter " use nodes, and from there add various texturs as you did with volumetric lights, and then feed the textures in to the volumetric intergrators scattering input, and also the scattering weight, so that is similar to some of the volumetric effects previously, but it is harder to set up, and since it seem to lack a sprite mode, it will not be as fast if you would like to use such effects I was used too with nebulas.

And those volumetric settings are part of my volumetric presets.. so you could use those to create a quick library. video showcasing that is here:

https://vimeo.com/246048179

UnCommonGrafx
01-06-2018, 06:29 PM

Yes, please.
Robert

djwaterman
01-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Oliver, when are you going to have your plugins put onto the official third party list of the LW website?

prometheus
01-06-2018, 06:46 PM
And those volumetric settings are part of my volumetric presets.. so you could use those to create a quick library. video showcasing that is here:

https://vimeo.com/246048179

yes, but I think itīs odd, I wouldnīt pay for an A function that is a lacking option in the new Lightwave 2018 for just adding light presets..donīt think so, things like that need to be built in lightwave, and I would build my own presets mostly, if it was just a few dollars perhaps, but I think itīs a bit too expensive.

I could just set up scenes with prebuild volumetric lights, then add to the scene what I need otherwise.

UnCommonGrafx
01-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Not a long time owner of Lw, huh...?

OD toolset is not native but is a 'must have' if you play seriously with LW. Lw2018, even moreso.
Robert

prometheus
01-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Not a long time owner of Lw, huh...?

OD toolset is not native but is a 'must have' if you play seriously with LW. Lw2018, even moreso.
Robert

who said I play seriously? even if I were...I really donīt think you can judge what anyone needs seriously.

oliverhotz
01-06-2018, 08:36 PM
I could just set up scenes with prebuild volumetric lights, then add to the scene what I need otherwise.

absolutely you could..

For the record, I have no problem with someone that thinks the tools are too expensive.. they dont need to be for everyone.. I personally dont think they are obviously and they offer a bit more than just "presets", but everyone knows for themselves what they can and cant afford, and what they need, or dont need, or.. want and dont want for that matter...

prometheus
01-06-2018, 08:39 PM
absolutely you could..

For the record, I have no problem with someone that thinks the tools are too expensive.. they dont need to be for everyone.. I personally dont think they are obviously and they offer a bit more than just "presets", but everyone knows for themselves what they can and cant afford, and what they need, or dont need, or.. want and dont want for that matter...

Absolutely, glad you can take it that way, and as a side note, I said I currently may not need it...and I have yet to discover what more it offers rather than presets...so I am not ruling out eventually getting it later on.

oliverhotz
01-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Absolutely, glad you can take it that way, and as a side note, I said I currently may not need it...and I have yet to discover what more it offers rather than presets...so I am not ruling out eventually getting it later on.

oh.. of course.. no worries at all. Primarily I write these tools for our production, and the ones that I deem as having a wider use for people, I add them to the public toolset. The preset system was definitely born out of frustration of a) not having presets in those areas, and b) for the ones that are native, its always a hassle to keep all things together. thats why i wanted to create a self contained system, that also allows it to easily create shareable assets. You dont have to worry about "did i copy this image, did i forget this model, etc".

The other benefit of it being done by 3rd party, vs. native, is that you can design it completely as you like... you want "X" things to happen when you restore a preset, I have complete control over it.. and thats huge. Hopefully, in the shortterm, there'll be people sharing assets that way, whether they are commercial or free, but create a sort of ecosystem along the lines of what william vaughn did with polystein for modo, but, on a bit of a broader level.

I'd ask people to check out the instance randomizer... (https://vimeo.com/247271531) It came from a user (Rene), seeing the instancer preset system, and asking me a few questions about different possibilities and a day later the randomizer was born. If you watch that video.. I dont think there's a way to get to the result more easy, flexible or quicker. Is it groundbreaking, I dont think so, its simply workflow stuff, but, thats what you need 99% of your day... workflow solutions.

JamesCurtis
01-06-2018, 09:45 PM
We kinda got off track just a hair, eh.

Anyway, so I was right. I wasn't imagining things after all. Volumetric effects were available to the light before.

BeeVee
01-07-2018, 03:14 AM
There were presets for volumetric lights, sure.

But they were a trick, not accurate like 2018's, and you could only use them on spotlights, not area lights (or others) like so:

And texturing the volumetric wasn't as easy...

(excuse the poor quality of the renders, I didn't leave VPR alone for long enough :))

B

UnCommonGrafx
01-07-2018, 04:12 AM
I stand corrected on the history of presets. We had it but it didn't work so well.
As to the other, I stand by what I said: must haves.

gar26lw
01-07-2018, 04:21 AM
i don’t suppose there is any way you could add alternative scene navigation mouse/keyboard shortcuts? to get maya style navigation.

also, alternate gizmos, in maya style.

@oliver - i know it’s a bit off topic here but any idea if this is possible?

prometheus
01-07-2018, 01:55 PM
There were presets for volumetric lights, sure.

But they were a trick, not accurate like 2018's, and you could only use them on spotlights, not area lights (or others) like so:

And texturing the volumetric wasn't as easy...

(excuse the poor quality of the renders, I didn't leave VPR alone for long enough :))

B

They did work with more than spotlights, they worked with point lights, and distant lights as well...area ligths as you said does not work, they were a bit hard to get exact as to how the presets thumbs were made though.
I had no issues of texturing the volumetrics, worked just fine..My favourites was to use it for whispy nebulas in sprite mode..that sort of approach is now gone I think, since we do not have volumetric scattering in sprite mode, itīs all global volumetrics now..renders slower, though you wil get a more volumetric effect.