PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Bug issues

paulg625
01-06-2018, 09:00 AM
I have had a few issues with new 2018 version. Want to make sure it isn't me.

1st problem : Layout doesn't seem to be updating my model from Modeler. ( even after saving and manually telling it to sync)

2ed Problem : Normals something weird here. Imported a model and as it happens sometime a few of the Normals were backwards
Flipped them and a few looked correctly in modeler but were backwards in Layout. (only ones I had changed in Modeler.)

I have submitted a bug issue on the first issue. But wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong before doing one for second.

Asticles
01-06-2018, 12:38 PM
I've read something about the first with mac users.

paulg625
01-06-2018, 04:13 PM
Yeah I read that after I posted this one seems like an upgrade problem because seems tech support cant reproduce it.

paulg625
01-06-2018, 08:51 PM
This solution worked for the first problem. second problem with Normals still there.

worked for me in windows 10

Make sure nothing is running. No layout, modeler, or hub.

Delete configs:
Go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\.NewTek\LightWave\LIGHTWAVE_ VERSION

and delete all files except the license folder.

Then, launch Layout - then Modeler. Allowing the hub to launch, but launch each application directly. Then try to see if they will sync.

paulg625
01-07-2018, 05:31 AM
Not sure if this is a bug or just me.

I lay out a texture in the node editor using a half dozen image maps to drive color, roughness, spec, metallic, normal, and displacement.
the texture looks just fine and I want to move on to next texture

I want to use the same format for the next texture but not the same maps. I initially copy the texture from the surface editor. When I change a map it changes it for my original texture as well.

Next I try to export the node layout and then re-import it on the new item I'm texturing same results.

acts like they are instances of the material. this would be great for items you want to be the same material. but I just want the node layout to copy.

Andy Webb
01-07-2018, 07:32 AM
Yes I noticed that with copy and paste textures. In my case it was very useful but I can see how it can be a problem...

paulg625
01-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Yes it should be selectable choice because depending on usage it could be helpful or a real pain to deal with.

Yes I noticed that with copy and paste textures. In my case it was very useful but I can see how it can be a problem...

genesis1
01-08-2018, 10:46 AM
I've so far been lucky and just had one persistent crash or 'Fatel error' and that's been in modeler using the fibre strand tool.

DogBoy
01-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Not sure if this is a bug or just me.

I lay out a texture in the node editor using a half dozen image maps to drive color, roughness, spec, metallic, normal, and displacement.
the texture looks just fine and I want to move on to next texture

I want to use the same format for the next texture but not the same maps. I initially copy the texture from the surface editor. When I change a map it changes it for my original texture as well.

Next I try to export the node layout and then re-import it on the new item I'm texturing same results.

acts like they are instances of the material. this would be great for items you want to be the same material. but I just want the node layout to copy.

OK, so i'm getting this right
I set up surface A in the Node Editor.
I right click on the surface A in the Surface Editor and choose Copy
I click on surface B in the Surface Editor and choose Paste.
I open Surface B in the Node Editor
I open an Image or Image Sampler node that is in the network and change the image to another already loaded image
and it changes in Surface A too?
Correct?
Because I'm not getting that.

3D Kiwi
01-08-2018, 10:10 PM
I have found you cant tab through the shader parameters. If you tab to a value say specular and turn that value down to 0 which will grey out specular tint, You then try and tab from Specular it goes to a different window when it should tab down
the list jumping over the greyed out parameter.

Anyone else seeing this?

DogBoy
01-09-2018, 01:09 AM
I have found you cant tab through the shader parameters. If you tab to a value say specular and turn that value down to 0 which will grey out specular tint, You then try and tab from Specular it goes to a different window when it should tab down

Anyone else seeing this?

It's a hard one to pin down. I tried to do what you said, and tabbed to specular, took it to 0.0 and tabbed away. All my windows closed and i had to Tab to get them back.
I tried again and this time it worked.
There is something going on but will take work to perfect the steps.

3D Kiwi
01-09-2018, 01:55 AM
Thanks, Seams pretty consistent for me, I will give it another go tomorrow.

Andy Webb
01-09-2018, 05:28 AM
OK, so i'm getting this right
I set up surface A in the Node Editor.
I right click on the surface A in the Surface Editor and choose Copy
I click on surface B in the Surface Editor and choose Paste.
I open Surface B in the Node Editor
I open an Image or Image Sampler node that is in the network and change the image to another already loaded image
and it changes in Surface A too?
Correct?
Because I'm not getting that.

In my case I had a volume light with turbulence applied, I cloned the light and was making changes to the turbulence texture in the cloned light, when I noticed those changes were also happening to the original light too.

rustythe1
01-18-2018, 09:20 AM
seems there may be issues with the hub in 2018.0.1, modeller keeps freezing for around 5 seconds even when switching to a completely different app (eg internet explorer / photoshop) if layout is open, changing viewports causes instant crash, pressing shift A, instant crash, change to wireframe, instant crash, even with clean install, close layout and all is fine!

AnimeJoex
01-18-2018, 01:56 PM
1. The ABF UV Unwrap feature doesn't seem to work in both 2018.0 and 2018.0.1, but it works perfectly in 2015.3. Tested it on both a laptop and desktop PC.

2. Genoma also has issues in 2018 but works in 2015.3...

BeeVee
01-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Hi AnimeJoex,

Have you reported these issues using the Feedback Agent?

B

AnimeJoex
01-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Hi AnimeJoex,

Have you reported these issues using the Feedback Agent?

B

No, not yet. But I will as soon as I find where that is.lol

BeeVee
01-19-2018, 12:50 AM
In the Help menu in either Layout or Modeler, take your pick ;)

B

rustythe1
01-19-2018, 01:19 AM
well part of mine is a bit difficult to report at the moment as I'm not sure if its related to the model i have brought over from 2015 as it seems to be completely unstable with this model loaded, now even with layout closed, i am getting crashes with all sorts of things, including selecting connected, copy, change view port, knife, just moving stuff around, but when i create a high poly box i cant seem to replicate it so its obviously something relating to this mesh,
the freezing is however replicatable as it does it without even having a mesh loaded

rustythe1
01-19-2018, 02:03 AM
well that's interesting, i double clicked the hub on the system tray this morning and the modeller freezing has stopped, i also cant replicate the crash at the moment, odd because its been doing it since i installed it a week or so ago, although that's the first time i have opened the hub interface

rustythe1
01-19-2018, 11:50 AM
ok, i used word and excel and directly after the freezing has returned! looks like there could be a third party problem here

rustythe1
01-29-2018, 02:56 PM
and for my next bug, there seems to be an issue with high poly meshes and render speed, I'm guessing its some sort of non planar issue, i have a simple scene i use for work elements, an environment light, the a simple surface, no settings just a colour to produce an ambient render (like in my avatar) well i was rendering a truck i made today and the first render took 8 mins, when it usually takes seconds, i noticed the aa was hanging around certain areas, but no errors evident like lifted polys you used to get in 2015 on planar errors, so i tripled the mesh, and hey presto back to seconds, so if your experiencing high render times this could actually be a big contributing factor, as it was almost a 10x render hit on a simple scene!

Snosrap
01-29-2018, 06:40 PM

Anyone else seeing this?

Yep.

Snosrap
01-29-2018, 06:42 PM
1. The ABF UV Unwrap feature doesn't seem to work in both 2018.0 and 2018.0.1, but it works perfectly in 2015.3. Tested it on both a laptop and desktop PC.

Works here.

OFF
02-04-2018, 01:01 AM
I was trying render the demo scene from lw 2018 content but I was confronted with the strange behavior of the Renderer options - I can not assign a directory for save images and file names.
And such a situation with all other scenes, not only from LW 2018.

Oops. Found it -

Airwaves
02-05-2018, 06:12 PM
I don't think this is a bug but it might be and it could be something I am doing. In Lightwave 2015 when I had selected an object and then opened the surface editor I thought it would open the surfaces for the object that was selected. In 2018 it does not appear to be doing this. Does this happen for anybody else and maybe I have a setting off or something?

jwiede
02-05-2018, 08:01 PM
I don't think this is a bug but it might be and it could be something I am doing. In Lightwave 2015 when I had selected an object and then opened the surface editor I thought it would open the surfaces for the object that was selected. In 2018 it does not appear to be doing this. Does this happen for anybody else and maybe I have a setting off or something?

Can't confirm here, whatever object is selected in Layout (2018.0.1 Mac64), opening Surface Editor that object's topmost surface is selected, same as in Layout 2015.3.

Airwaves
02-05-2018, 10:41 PM
For some reason mine does not do that. Weird.

jboudreau
02-05-2018, 11:13 PM

Anyone else seeing this?

This does not work in 2018.0 or 2018.0.1, (You can't tab through the shader parameters)

You can follow these steps to reproduce the problem:

- Open Layout
- Click on model tab the geometry and create a sphere
- click on surface editor
- In the specular channel highlight the 50% and type "0" and hit the tab key (without hitting the enter key) specular tint will grey and you won't be able to tab down to the other paramaters.

Now if you do the following:

- Open the Surface editor again
- In the specular channel highlight the 0% and type "0" and hit the tab key (without hitting the enter key) it will work and the tab will work going through the different paramaters.

This problem only happens when you have a value already in the specular channel that is not "0%" (for example 30% or 50% etc) and you change it to 0% and try and tab without hitting the enter key first.

Workaround:

To prevent this from happening you can do the following:

- Open Layout
- Click on model tab the geometry and create a sphere
- click on surface editor
- In the specular channel highlight the 50% and type "0" and hit the enter key then hit the tab key. it will work and the tab will work going through the different paramaters.

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

jboudreau
02-05-2018, 11:23 PM
Works here.

I think the problem he is having is when you use the ABF UV Unwrap in 2018.0 and 2018.0.1 it is not automatically showing in the UV viewport by setting the UV map texture automatically in the bottom right of your screen.

In 2015.3 once you click on thE ABF UV unwrap button the UV map comes up into the UV Viewport automatically and sets the texture to unwrap, in 2018.0 and 2018.0.1 this does not happen and you have to set the unwrap texture manually which makes it look like no UV maps are being created in the UV texture viewport.

Thanks,
Jason

jboudreau
02-05-2018, 11:36 PM
Can't confirm here, whatever object is selected in Layout (2018.0.1 Mac64), opening Surface Editor that object's topmost surface is selected, same as in Layout 2015.3.

I can confirm that it does not work in 2018.0 or 2018.0.1 on Windows 7 PC

In 2015.3 if I click on an object and open the surface editor it selects the object and the first surface name of that object

In 2018.0 & 2018.0.1 if I click on an object and open the surface editor it just stays on the same object (For example curtain) and selects the first surface name (For example fabric) of that object. If I close the surface editor and click on another object (For example floor) and open the surface editor it's still stuck on curtain and fabric. Does not select the floor object or the first surface of that floor object.

Thanks,
Jason

- - - Updated - - -

For some reason mine does not do that. Weird.

confirmed mine does not do it either on the PC

Thanks,
Jason

medunecer
02-05-2018, 11:38 PM

Same here (2018.0.1 Win64). I agree with you, not sure if it's a bug, maybe we forgot some setting.

jboudreau
02-06-2018, 12:26 AM
Same here (2018.0.1 Win64). I agree with you, not sure if it's a bug, maybe we forgot some setting.

I did notice that in 2018.0 and 2018.0.1 you can't really select the object in the surface editor like you could in 2015.3 so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks,
Jason

medunecer
02-06-2018, 10:27 AM
I did notice that in 2018.0 and 2018.0.1 you can't really select the object in the surface editor like you could in 2015.3 so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,
I don't know in 2015 because I jumped directly from LW 11.6.3. to 2018.0.1
Anyway, in LW 11, I select the object, then I open the Surface editor and the first surface of that object is selected. I had the habit to do it in scenes full of objects, to quickly change their surfaces.

jboudreau
02-06-2018, 10:34 AM
Hi Jason,
I don't know in 2015 because I jumped directly from LW 11.6.3. to 2018.0.1
Anyway, in LW 11, I select the object, then I open the Surface editor and the first surface of that object is selected. I had the habit to do it in scenes full of objects, to quickly change their surfaces.

Yeah like you said it works like that in v11 and v2015 but unfortunately it does not work in v2018 +. Too bad it didn't change automatically as you click on the different objects instead of having to close and re-open the surface editor.
Thanks,
Jason

Airwaves
02-06-2018, 01:40 PM
So it looks like it is not just me. Where is the link to submit a bug report for it? Is it just through the support on Lightwave3d.com?

jboudreau
02-06-2018, 01:47 PM
So it looks like it is not just me. Where is the link to submit a bug report for it? Is it just through the support on Lightwave3d.com?

It's under File/help/File a bug report in the 2018 layout or modeler software. I sent a report to LW3DG for all the bugs that I confirmed

Thanks,
Jason

Wade
02-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Speaking of surfaces - I am having a hard time saving them to the preset panel - 2015 it was just a double click in window and it was a new preset that action and ease of action seems to have been remove. :(
I have not until now ventured into nodes so there is that as well for me. Learning curve.... I need a "teach yourself nodes in 24 hours course" - Adobe had a great series of one hour photo shop tutorials that once worked through in like 24 hours one hour at a time you new most of what Photoshop had to offer. ( 15 years ago )

So question - how does one save a surface QUICKLY as a preset in 2018?

Snosrap
02-06-2018, 08:29 PM
I think the problem he is having is when you use the ABF UV Unwrap in 2018.0 and 2018.0.1 it is not automatically showing in the UV viewport by setting the UV map texture automatically in the bottom right of your screen.

In 2015.3 once you click on thE ABF UV unwrap button the UV map comes up into the UV Viewport automatically and sets the texture to unwrap, in 2018.0 and 2018.0.1 this does not happen and you have to set the unwrap texture manually which makes it look like no UV maps are being created in the UV texture viewport.

Thanks,
Jason

Ya - yes I see what you mean.

rustythe1
02-07-2018, 05:51 AM
ok, next bug, or is it? I'm trying to render an edge line style image so everything is white, shadows are off etc so just the edges render, but no matter how much aa i add to the camera the edges seem to not receive any aa and just stay jagged, increasing the image size just seems to compound the affect, tried different reconstruction types, just about everything i can think of and its all so jagged