PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric smoke

Andy Webb
01-06-2018, 04:27 AM
I'm trying to recreate an effect I had in 2015.3 and so far the new volumetrics in 2018 is defeating me.

My client wanted to show some subtle smoke effect lingering at ceiling height in a large auditorium.

My approach in 2015 was to use a spot light with volumetrics turned on and a cone angle of 90 deg.
I could then adjust how far the smoke effect came down.

I've tried everything I can think of in 2018 and nothing really works, I cannot get the effect to fade out properly,
I can still see some volumetrics at ground level!

The Min/Max settings in the volumetric panel seems to not have the affect I expected.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Andy Webb
01-06-2018, 04:56 AM
With a clear head this morning I seem to have solved my problems!

It's a case of too meany options in too meany different places!!

prometheus
01-07-2018, 02:09 PM
With a clear head this morning I seem to have solved my problems!

It's a case of too meany options in too meany different places!!

Thatīs a workflow issue I think now is introduced in many places..due to all the changes, maybe they can and will have to adjust where to adjust.:)
Itīs about volumetric scattering for lights, Itīs about volumetric Items, Itīs about surfacing...previously it seems that they managed to keep most settings under one roof so to speak.

So which approach did you use now? particles and the new volumetric items, or spotlight volumetrics?

in worst case..do a smoke sim in blender and open the VDB file in lightwave..may be more realistic than anything you can muster with item volumetrics ..light volumetrics and only procdural texture motion.