PDA

View Full Version : VPR within Layout

PJScott
01-05-2018, 08:52 AM
Hello all,

I've just upgraded one of our licences to test 2018 and struggling to get the same results with VPR in Layout as with 2015.3

I've added 2 videos here showing a comparison of 2015 and 2018 when using VPR in draft mode within Layout.
Keen to represent the same performance as it's useful for our workflow. I've tried to match the settings as best as I can but may have missed something.

https://vimeo.com/249801976

https://vimeo.com/249801983

Password for both - LW

Big issue is how quickly it takes to refresh and also the style of refinement when moving around live makes it difficult to see where you are.
Hoping that I can replicate how it was with 2015 in order to upgrade and take advantage of the new features properly.

If you need further info on settings within the scenes let me know

Any input here would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

UnCommonGrafx
01-05-2018, 09:27 AM
So many want that... It ain't happening for 2018.
It has to be re-thought and perhaps re-textured.

My first question: what are your materials? If it is standard, that's the first problem.
Texturing has to follow the PBR concept; if not then the renderer is bogging down in 'old tricks'. The principled material is a great start.

Try that.
Robert

PJScott
01-05-2018, 10:34 AM

My first question: what are your materials? If it is standard, that's the first problem.
Texturing has to follow the PBR concept; if not then the renderer is bogging down in 'old tricks'. The principled material is a great start.

Try that.
Robert

Thanks Robert, all standard materials and very basic settings, no image maps.
Will have a play here and see if it can improved.
I'll report back if I find anything.

Many thanks

gar26lw
01-05-2018, 05:28 PM

Try that.
Robert

i like your website link with the core pic ;)

jwiede
01-12-2018, 02:06 AM

"Just change them to PBR" could perhaps be a reasonable answer for simple scenes, but it won't really fly for complex ones with lots of objects and surfaces, at least without also providing a way to quickly pin down which specific materials are causing problems in a given render. In a imported scene with hundreds of surfaces (and as many or more materials), a workflow of "just enumerate them until you find the ones using 'standard' materials and replace them" turns into a painful and onerous game of hide and seek.

gar26lw
01-12-2018, 03:30 AM
if you have scenes like me, there are too many of the dp nodes, shadermiester and other stuff that isnt there, which breaks them.
I'd leave them in 2015.3.

Sensei
01-12-2018, 05:46 AM
Here is thread about the same subject, which might be interesting to you
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155639-2018-VPR-speed
Conclusions: use brute-force GI in VPR, with 1 Rays, AND very important, disable adaptive anti-aliasing, it'll improve updating speed tremendously.