PDA

View Full Version : Mouse problem in LightWave 2018 - get stuck

manofart
01-05-2018, 07:23 AM
I have problem with mouse, when I rotate scene or move. Screen get stuck for second. i try it one two computer and the same problem occurs.
On LightWave 2015 I have not this problem. Have somebody fix for this problem?

rsfd
01-05-2018, 08:53 AM
haven't seen this issue so far.

You may have a look at your "Display Options" under "Interface" and verify it's set to "Mouse" mode.
Otherwise you probably will get more and better response when you add some more information about your issue and setup:
OS used; Modeler, Layout or both; probably hardware setup; "heaviness" of the object/scene and so on.

manofart
01-05-2018, 12:03 PM
I contact support and they say more user have same problem. They try to fix problem.

prometheus
01-05-2018, 12:28 PM
I do have the same problems as well...unfortunately the whole system feels clunky because of that, hope they sort it out.

Sekhar
01-05-2018, 01:07 PM
I do have the same problems as well...unfortunately the whole system feels clunky because of that, hope they sort it out.

What are the problems exactly? If this is about issues with navigating the scene, I don't have any problems: I'm on Windows 10 with GTX 980 and a Wacaom Intuos Pro tablet. Perhaps if you two (and others with the issues) give more specifics, we could compare notes.

zapper1998
01-05-2018, 01:18 PM
this has happened awhile ago... And some one mentioned a remedy for the problem awhile ago search the forum

Had issues awhile ago and did what was mentioned and it alleviated the problem with the mouse

sorry cannot remember what was done..

prometheus
01-05-2018, 01:48 PM
What are the problems exactly? If this is about issues with navigating the scene, I don't have any problems: I'm on Windows 10 with GTX 980 and a Wacaom Intuos Pro tablet. Perhaps if you two (and others with the issues) give more specifics, we could compare notes.

I donīt have time to add notes on that currently, Iīm soon about to shut down for today and will spend the night watching hockeyfight in the junior worldchamp finals:D

Might be able to showcase performanceswhile recording, but recording itself may impact.

windows 10
Intel i7-6700 CPU
3.40 3.40 GHz
Asus Rog nvidia GTX 1080
32 gb ram

jboudreau
01-05-2018, 09:27 PM
this has happened awhile ago... And some one mentioned a remedy for the problem awhile ago search the forum

Had issues awhile ago and did what was mentioned and it alleviated the problem with the mouse

sorry cannot remember what was done..

To fix the problem you need to scale down your interface so it's not completely full screen this will stop the freezing or stuttering. What's happening is the mouse pointer is somehow going off the screen and loosing it's position. I have the same issue here.

Thanks,
Jason

jboudreau
01-05-2018, 09:30 PM

When you rotate around your scene in layout even with an empty scene the mouse looses it's position as if somehow the mouse wonders off the viewport for a few seconds causing the viewport to freeze. I'm using an optical mouse don't have a tablet so can't test on that so maybe that is the difference

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

adk
01-05-2018, 11:08 PM
To fix the problem you need to scale down your interface so it's not completely full screen this will stop the freezing or stuttering. What's happening is the mouse pointer is somehow going off the screen and loosing it's position. I have the same issue here.

Thanks,
Jason

I've got the same issue but your suggestion, as much as I hoped, doesn't work jboudreau :(

Has anyone reported this via the new system?
It's extremely annoying and needs to be fixed. Sometimes my mouse misses like 3 seconds worth of rotation ?

wingzeta
01-05-2018, 11:20 PM
There was a problem with the mouse being out of control in 2015, which seemed to start with Win 8.1 and later. The solution was to right click on your app icon, or modeler.exe and or layout.exe, go to properties / Compatibility tab, and check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". I havn't had the problem with 2018, so I'm not sure if it is the same, but it's worth a try.

samurai_x
01-05-2018, 11:23 PM
I think this comes up a few times. Mouse drifting and getting stuck since lw 2015 and win 10.
Right click your lightwave icons and disable DPI scaling.

adk
01-05-2018, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys but I've just tried all the different combinations of this ( application - system - system enhanced ) and still have the issue ... grrrr :mad:

samurai_x
01-06-2018, 12:03 AM
Is that the icon you double click to launch modeler? I do it with the shortcut icons not the exe file.
If that doesn't work try disabling font scaling in windows.

adk
01-06-2018, 01:01 AM
Is that the icon you double click to launch modeler? I do it with the shortcut icons not the exe file.
If that doesn't work try disabling font scaling in windows.

Originally I tried the exe files. Then shortcuts, same result I'm afraid ?
Font size is at 100% - don't see anywhere in win 10 where I can disable font scaling.

Thanks for trying - it's frustrating as heck watching 100+ FPS, then freeze, then stutter then back again.
This happens in both Layout and Modeller and is worse if you lift the mouse up of one end of the mat and start at the other.

manofart
01-06-2018, 09:02 AM
I have problem on:
Surface Book Graphic Intel HD 520 / Nvidia GTX 965M
and
Dell Precizon T7700 Graphic Intel HD 520 / Nvidia Quadro K5000M

Maybe it's the problem with two integrated graphic card?

jboudreau
01-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Hi Guys, For those of you that are seeing slow performance from Lightwave 2018 layout compared to Lightwave 2015 Layout it has to do with your Vsync settings. Vsync in 2015 had no effect on OpenGL performance but it does in 2018. So if you want better performance in 2018 turn vsync off. Was this a bug in 2015 that has now been fixed in 2018?

Here is a link to the vsync issue

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10159773637280641&set=gm.1301244996648163&type=3&theater&ifg=1

As for the openGL Freezing when rotating or stuttering or the mouse loosing it's location have you tried taking the window out of maximize mode and scaling it smaller so none of the sides of the window touch the sides of your screen. Like this

Does this eliminate your issue. If no try using the Alt key and try tumbling your object with the interface sized down. Let me know if that fixes your issue

All these options above fixed all the issues I mentioned above.

Thanks,
Jason

MichaelT
01-06-2018, 12:09 PM
@manofart:

It is getting stuck because it is running a tight loop. To fix this, open task manager->detail .. right click on layout and select "low" to change its priority.
C4D does this automatically, and frankly.. so should every rendering program. So the computer doesn't get stuck in cases like this.

You can do a command script, and launch LW from there to fix this.. using something like:
start "PROGRAM_NAME" /BELOWNORMAL /AFFINITY 2 program.exe .. /BELOWNORMAL will lower the priority .. /AFFINITY 2 says how many logical processes you want to use. But this is not really needed.
You need that in a cmd launch file, which you can edit in some notepad program. Also.. it will probably ask for admin rights to change the priority as well.

jboudreau
01-06-2018, 12:14 PM
It is getting stuck because it is running a tight loop. To fix this, open task manager->detail .. right click on layout and select "low" to change its priority.
C4D does this automatically, and frankly.. so should every rendering program. So the computer doesn't get stuck in cases like this.

Sorry please try again lol. Haha

Sorry unfortunately that did not fix the issue. Still have the OpenGL freeze or stutter only thing that works for me is what I mentioned above

Thanks,
Jason

MichaelT
01-06-2018, 12:16 PM
OpenGL freeze isn't mouse freeze. I know Prometheus mentioned something like this too... I'm afraid I've no clue about that. Drivers... GL updates.. who knows? Sorry :(

jboudreau
01-06-2018, 12:19 PM
OpenGL freeze isn't mouse freeze.

They are not having mouse freeze, they are having the openGL freeze while tumbling-rotating around the scene or model.

I'm explaining what's happening visually but yes what it looks like is happening is the mouse looses it's position on the screen as if the mouse is no longer over the viewport hence the viewport freezes and then it plays catch-up once the mouse find it's position again.

All I know is there are many users that never had this issue in 2015.3 including myself and we now have it in 2018. As for what the bug or issue is I'm not sure but something was changed

Thanks,
Jason

MichaelT
01-06-2018, 12:26 PM
I checked it out.. and that is due to PBRGLSLShaders in the settings. Change it to GLSLShaders and you should be OK.

I should note that leaving the mouse for a while, seems to drop some buffers. Because it will jerk again while building them up again (apparently) and the motion will be OK again. And when you stop again next time.. same thing happens again.
I have a feeling they have set things a bit aggresively.. but I have no idea if that can actually be fixed by us changing some setting.

You can set it to multitexture to speed things up even more... but that would loose some of the benefits.

jboudreau
01-06-2018, 12:34 PM
I checked it out.. and that is due to PBRGLSLShaders in the settings. Change it to GLSLShaders and you should be OK.

I should note that leaving the mouse for a while, seems to drop some buffers. Because it will jerk again while building them up again (apparently) and the motion will be OK again. And when you stop again next time.. same thing happens again.
I have a feeling they have set things a bit aggresively.. but I have no idea if that can actually be fixed by us changing some setting.

You can set it to multitexture to speed things up even more... but that would loose some of the benefits.

Yes sorry unfortunately that does not work either. I changed it to GLSL, Multi Texture and PBRGLSL and they all do the same thing. Others have had this issue and sizing down the interface like I shown above fixes the issue. Have no idea why though

Thanks again
Jason

MichaelT
01-06-2018, 12:39 PM
For me Multitexture works the best. But my stuttering apparently isn't as serious as it is for some of you guys. But I have reported it.. and all of you should do the same I think.

jboudreau
01-06-2018, 12:52 PM
For me Multitexture works the best. But my stuttering apparently isn't as serious as it is for some of you guys. But I have reported it.. and all of you should do the same I think.

Did you try sizing down your interface that works perfectly here. I just created a video showing you guys what the issue is. It even happens in an empty scene so I don't think it has to do with shaders, materials etc...

Here is the video showing you the issue and how to resolve it at least on my end and many others

https://youtu.be/nqPYf4GTM7c

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

MichaelT
01-06-2018, 01:10 PM
All I can say is that the effect is worse the higher the GLSL setting. I'm assuming it is related to whatever buffers they are using. But in the end.. only they know. But unless we report it.. they won't look at it.

manofart
01-06-2018, 01:50 PM
"'...window out of maximize mode and scaling" - i try it and it work :)

adk
01-06-2018, 01:57 PM
As for the openGL Freezing when rotating or stuttering or the mouse loosing it's location have you tried taking the window out of maximize mode and scaling it smaller so none of the sides of the window touch the sides of your screen. Like this...

Does this eliminate your issue. If no try using the Alt key and try tumbling your object with the interface sized down. Let me know if that fixes your issue

All these options above fixed all the issues I mentioned above.

Thanks,
Jason

When I tried this before and reported that it didn't work it seems I was missing the magical ingredient.

None of the interface edges should touch the extents of the display. So you need to inset each of the four edges. Even a few pixels in seems to work just fine.

When I simply minimised LW before some of the edges did go to the display edge and hence the fail.

Now it's working as it should :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to trouble shoot this jboudreau and everyone else for all the suggestions. For me at least, while not ideal, the issue seems solved with this hack.

NT should definitely try to resolve this issue as I don't recall having it in versions prior. I'll be reporting it.

jboudreau
01-06-2018, 02:19 PM
When I tried this before and reported that it didn't work it seems I was missing the magical ingredient.

None of the interface edges should touch the extents of the display. So you need to inset each of the four edges. Even a few pixels in seems to work just fine.

When I simply minimised LW before some of the edges did go to the display edge and hence the fail.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to trouble shoot this jboudreau and everyone else for all the suggestions. For me at least, while not ideal, the issue seems solved with this hack.

NT should definitely try to resolve this issue as I don't recall having it in versions prior. I'll be reporting it.

Awesome, I thought it was strange that it wasn't working for you that's why I made the video and tried to explain everything I did. I'm so glad it's now working for you now.

Thanks,
Jason

MarcusM
01-06-2018, 02:45 PM
Did you try sizing down your interface that works perfectly here. I just created a video showing you guys what the issue is. It even happens in an empty scene so I don't think it has to do with shaders, materials etc...

Here is the video showing you the issue and how to resolve it at least on my end and many others

https://youtu.be/nqPYf4GTM7c

Hope this helps

Thanks,
Jason

So simple and helps! Report this bug please.
It also helps in Modeler 2018. Zooming in perspective view in full screen is trimming.

MichaelT
01-06-2018, 03:01 PM

Whhhaaaat? That is possibly the strangest bug I've ever heard of.

jboudreau
01-06-2018, 03:02 PM
So simple and helps! Report this bug please.
It also helps in Modeler 2018. Zooming in perspective view in full screen is trimming.

trimming do you mean where the grid is zooming out to 10000000Mm now compared to 10Mm in 2015.3?

Thanks,
Jason?

- - - Updated - - -

Whhhaaaat? That is possibly the strangest bug I've ever heard of.

haha that's what I've been telling you lol

MichaelT
01-06-2018, 03:06 PM
That explains why I haven't suffered as much. I usually make the window smaller so I can fit other things there. I never even reflected on that hahaha :)

Edit: Interesting... doing that causes Multitexture to stutter a bit.. what on earth is going on?

jboudreau
01-06-2018, 03:16 PM
That explains why I haven't suffered as much. I usually make the window smaller so I can fit other things there. I never even reflected on that hahaha :)

Edit: Interesting... doing that causes Multitexture to stutter a bit.. what on earth is going on?

No stutter here on any of the shading method settings

Thanks,
Jason

MichaelT
01-06-2018, 03:22 PM
No stutter here on any of the shading method settings

Thanks,
Jason

Just makes this bug more interesting doesn't it ;)

sadkkf
01-06-2018, 03:29 PM
I'm having a slightly different problem. The rotation/position buttons in the lower left as well as the timeline slider don't react to my mouse. I can click them but nothing happens. I can't slide anything either. To change a position or rotation value I need to enter it numerically.

I can't drag the view around in the large window. Nothing responds.

Anyone else see this?

Specs:

Radeon R9 390
8GB GDDR5
Latest drivers

Win 7 Pro 64bit
32GB RAM
Core I7-5820K

Ztreem
01-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Holy Crap!!! Just tested LW 2018 for the first time and I can not even navigate the viewport in opengl, feels like its below 1fps. I can only navigate in vpr? All suggestions and hacks doesn’t seem to help!? This makes the decision not to upgrade even easier. Has this product even been in beta?

jboudreau
01-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Holy Crap!!! Just tested LW 2018 for the first time and I can not even navigate the viewport in opengl, feels like its below 1fps. I can only navigate in vpr? All suggestions and hacks doesn’t seem to help!? This makes the decision not to upgrade even easier. Has this product even been in beta?

What are your specs, Do you have Vsync turned off on both your graphic card settings and in layout?

MichaelT
01-06-2018, 03:40 PM

Have you installed the latest drivers for your graphics card?

jboudreau
01-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Have you installed the latest drivers for your graphics card?

that's a good suggestion too

Ztreem
01-06-2018, 04:32 PM
The computer is only weeks old so the driver should not be too old.
Vsync is off in layout, I havn’t changed any graphic card settings. I’ll test...
Specs: laptop. Win 10, Intel xeon E3-1535M 3.10GHz, 64Gb RAM, nvidia quadro p5000.

jboudreau
01-06-2018, 04:37 PM
The computer is only weeks old so the driver should not be too old.
Vsync is off in layout, I havn’t changed any graphic card settings. I’ll test...
Specs: laptop. Win 10, Intel xeon E3-1535M 3.10GHz, 64Gb RAM, nvidia quadro p5000.

Yeah you have a quadro, then in your base profile setting you will see vsync set it to off or let software decide

Thanks,
Jason

Ztreem
01-06-2018, 04:40 PM
It was set to let software decide, turned it off. No difference... I’ll try to re-install the drivers..

Ztreem
01-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Got it to work. Had to set it to tablet instead of mouse, I’m using the trackpad on the laptop. Never had to do that before??? Ok, so now I can at least use it. Why do we even have to switch between tablet and mouse?

MichaelT
01-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Because tablet have a set size.. whereas a mouse counts from passing points.

Ztreem
01-07-2018, 02:52 AM
Because tablet have a set size.. whereas a mouse counts from passing points.

There are other apps that donít have this option and I can just switch between my mouse and cintiq without doing anything, why canít LW do the same?

sadkkf
01-07-2018, 07:42 AM
Has anyone else run into my issue? I'm not able to click and drag in the viewport, can't use the timeline slider and buttons on the numeric input.

Using a Radeon R9 390 with the latest drivers. VSynch is off.

Any ideas? Please don't tell me I need to get an NVidia card. This one is barely a year old.

MichaelT
01-07-2018, 08:10 AM
There are other apps that don’t have this option and I can just switch between my mouse and cintiq without doing anything, why can’t LW do the same?

Don't know... depends on how the programs we're originally written. I myself had to specifically identify the tablet back in the day, when I wrote a program to detect the pen. Maybe it can be handled better now? But the only ones who can truly answer that is LWG. But.. there is an option in the help menu to ask for improvements. I would suggest you use that to bring this up.