PDA

View Full Version : 2018 trial help

genesis1
01-05-2018, 03:47 AM
How do I set directory in render properties? It's all greyed out! No renders are being saved.

THIBAULT
01-05-2018, 03:51 AM
Click save at left !

DogBoy
01-05-2018, 04:03 AM
yup, there has to be ticks in the leftmost column.

genesis1
01-05-2018, 04:09 AM
I might have known I would miss something simple. :-P But why is the bottom half greyed out? How do I change directory for my saved files?

genesis1
01-05-2018, 04:15 AM
Scrub that I see it now. Thanks all.

genesis1
01-05-2018, 04:36 AM
Trying to find my way around the new layout at mo, still trying to figure how to blur reflections.

Sensei
01-05-2018, 05:36 AM
Trying to find my way around the new layout at mo, still trying to figure how to blur reflections.

Reflections can be blur in any application using technique that I presented in this video tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP425jM1oGM

(that's pretty much what reflection blur is doing internally in code- perturbing ray direction and blending results from couple samples)

jakuzaa
01-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Sensei, why do you show some old workarounds? I respect your knowledge and skills but I think you are overcomplicating. We are taking about Lightwave 2018. The answer to genesis question is to use the Principled BSDF material and control intensity of reflections by Specular and bluriness by Roughness and that's all, it is that simple :) I'm not a math guy, so I love the new materials ;)

Sensei
01-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Sensei, why do you show some old workarounds? I respect your knowledge and skills but I think you are overcomplicating. We are taking about Lightwave 2018. The answer to genesis question is to use the Principled BSDF material and control intensity of reflections by Specular and bluriness by Roughness and that's all, it is that simple :) I'm not a math guy, so I love the new materials ;)

It's better to have knowledge, without having tool, rather than not having knowledge and just having tool.. ;)

jakuzaa
01-05-2018, 10:09 AM
I need to write it down :D

Sensei
01-05-2018, 10:36 AM
I need to write it down :D

Write it down Jesus words.. ;)

"It's better to have knowledge, without having tool, rather than not having knowledge and just having tool.. "

I like it.

You should know that I am almost exclusively taking with people about quantum physics.. ;)

SBowie
01-05-2018, 11:25 AM
"It's better to have knowledge, without having tool, rather than not having knowledge and just having tool.. "

snip ...

You should know that I am almost exclusively taking with people about quantum physics.. ;)I hesitate to offer a contrary view, but - as much as I like your maxim - quantum physics seems a dubious example to support it. From the admittedly very little I know of the field, it nevertheless seems that while its practitioners do have some tools, they freely admit to having exasperatingly scant knowledge of why those tools work reliably, in terms of a practical, comprehensive theory to explain the outcomes. We're pretty far OT if we go down this path, though ...

Sensei
01-05-2018, 11:39 AM
as much as I like your maxim - quantum physics seems a dubious example to support it.

Are you serious... ?

This is Cloud Chamber.. device that you can build for.. $20.. today..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFVZU2YwwJ4

These are traces from:
1) cosmic rays from (usually the Sun)
2) radioactive isotopes of elements that you put in it..

prometheus
01-05-2018, 11:45 AM
It's better to have knowledge, without having tool, rather than not having knowledge and just having tool.. ;)

:) can I have two of that please, I do want to be a better person.

Sensei
01-05-2018, 12:02 PM
I do want to be a better person.

Isn't just up to you.. ?
"Love everybody like your self.." (I am just repeating my self)
Not like humanists..
The all living organisms on this planet are your brothers and sisters..

SBowie
01-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Are you serious... ?Yep. You're showing a very cool tool, for sure ... but the existence of a tool doesn't imply understanding. Everything I've read from those leading the field from its inception until now comes down to broad agreement that no-one knows how or why quantum mechanics actually produces the result it does in terms of a rational atomic/particle/wave model that explains why it works. (The classic (Bohr) notion of atomic structure largely failed long ago, though the image still appears everywhere you look.) The literature is replete with all of the smartest people you can name basically saying the same thing - 'It works like this, but we don't know why'.

This quote from Richard Feynman is a bit old, but as far as I can tell, continues to be valid:

"There was a time when the newspapers said that only twelve men understood the theory of relativity. I do not believe there ever was such a time. There might have been a time when only one man did, because he was the only guy who caught on, before he wrote his paper. But after people read the paper a lot of people understood the theory of relativity in some way or other, certainly more than twelve. On the other hand, I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics. So do not take the lecture too seriously, feeling that you really have to understand in terms of some model what I am going to describe, but just relax and enjoy it. I am going to tell you what nature behaves like. If you will simply admit that maybe she does behave like this, you will find her a delightful, entrancing thing. Do not keep saying to yourself, if you can possibly avoid it, 'But how can it be like that?' because you will get 'down the drain', into a blind alley from which nobody has yet escaped. Nobody knows how it can be like that."