PDA

View Full Version : 2018 reconstruction filters

Igu4n4
01-04-2018, 09:19 PM
I see the reconstruction filters have moved to the buffers tab on a per buffer basis. Not a bad idea. However, I'm curious if they are responding the same way? I've noticed when I enable them, and render, Im seeing no difference. Specifically with Guassian. It is not soft, the same scene rendered in 2015 with Guassian is soft and has a notable difference.

Anyone noticed this?

st3.

Asticles
01-04-2018, 10:30 PM
I use lanczos filter with radius 2-3, works great.

grabiller
01-07-2018, 12:19 PM
I'm suspicious too about sampling and reconstruction filters in Lightwave 2018. Something is not right.

Like Asticles the only way I found, at first, to have decent sharpness *and* antialiasing is to go for LanczosSync filter with a radius of ~3. Which is actually not normal : )

But then I remembered an issue I had with another render engine that is especially true with small features and hairs. While playing with some FiberFX examples I indeed realized that if you use adaptive sampling with Min:1 (almost whatever Max is) then you will most always miss parts of fibers (and other small features) and the animated rendering will jitters as hell (try the FureyTail example). The only filter able to almost always reconstruct the all fibers is in this case indeed is the LanczosSync filter with a radius of ~3 (but you still get some jitters with the mentioned example).

The thing is that you almost never get enough samples with your image with 1 sample only right ? So why not set, say, Min: 4 and Max: 16 for a starter. Bingo, this way you get entire fibers properly rendered even with Gaussian 0.5 (but with very bad antialiasing in this case). Personally the best and fastest results I get so far with FiberFX is Min:4 Radius:2 Mitchell. Yet you will get faster rendering than setting Min to 1.

But still, I agree with you Igu4n4, something does not feel right with LW 2018 reconstruction filters especially regarding the "radius" unit.

ps: I don't find having reconstruction filters on a per buffer basis a good idea actually, because the radius is on per camera basis. It then makes no sense to mix for instance Mitchell and Gaussian with the same radius.

Asticles
01-07-2018, 03:28 PM
I'm suspicious too about sampling and reconstruction filters in Lightwave 2018. Something is not right.

Like Asticles the only way I found, at first, to have decent sharpness *and* antialiasing is to go for LanczosSync filter with a radius of ~3. Which is actually not normal : )

But then I remembered an issue I had with another render engine that is especially true with small features and hairs. While playing with some FiberFX examples I indeed realized that if you use adaptive sampling with Min:1 (almost whatever Max is) then you will most always miss parts of fibers (and other small features) and the animated rendering will jitters as hell (try the FureyTail example). The only filter able to almost always reconstruct the all fibers is in this case indeed is the LanczosSync filter with a radius of ~3 (but you still get some jitters with the mentioned example).

The thing is that you almost never get enough samples with your image with 1 sample only right ? So why not set, say, Min: 4 and Max: 16 for a starter. Bingo, this way you get entire fibers properly rendered even with Gaussian 0.5 (but with very bad antialiasing in this case). Personally the best and fastest results I get so far with FiberFX is Min:4 Radius:2 Mitchell. Yet you will get faster rendering than setting Min to 1.

But still, I agree with you Igu4n4, something does not feel right with LW 2018 reconstruction filters especially regarding the "radius" unit.

ps: I don't find having reconstruction filters on a per buffer basis a good idea actually, because the radius is on per camera basis. It then makes no sense to mix for instance Mitchell and Gaussian with the same radius.

About the gaps, it is normal. The engine must first something to work with, having Min samples gives this.

http://interstation3d.com/tutorials/vray_dmc_sampler/demistyfing_dmc.html