PDA

View Full Version : LW2018 + .SBSAR support?

Revanto
01-03-2018, 03:32 AM
Does LW 2018 have the ability to use and read . sbsar files yet?

I've got a few nifty .sbsar files and they would be great to use as part of texturing and even baking for lw2018?

Revanto :p

Lewis
01-03-2018, 03:44 AM
Does LW 2018 have the ability to use and read . sbsar files yet?

I've got a few nifty .sbsar files and they would be great to use as part of texturing and even baking for lw2018?

Revanto :p

NOT native,

BUT Oliver did great plugin for that purpose :)
https://vimeo.com/247086500

samurai_x
01-03-2018, 04:24 AM
Another way is you could buy modo indie and read it directly there and bake it out.
You then also have a full app that has better uvmapping, sculpt, paint, etc, and is much more advance than modeler. Good companion for layout.

Hopefully 3dcoat will support this natively soon.
https://trello.com/c/yisshBdY

gar26lw
01-03-2018, 04:33 AM
Another way is you could buy modo indie and read it directly there and bake it out.
You then also have a full app that has better uvmapping, sculpt, paint, etc, and is much more advance than modeler. Good companion for layout.

Hopefully 3dcoat will support this natively soon.
https://trello.com/c/yisshBdY

if you are going that route, why not just buy full and skip the upgrade and plugins?

hey look at that, a roadmap. philistines ;)

samurai_x
01-03-2018, 05:02 AM
if you are going that route, why not just buy full and skip the upgrade and plugins?

hey look at that, a roadmap. philistines ;)

Modo indie is dirt cheap, modo full is not.
Some of the limitation is no network rendering and 100k poly export which isn't really a limitation because you can export parts of your model.

So if people don't like 3dcoat and zbrush, they can actually make good use of modo indie which does what those two do just not the best in class. Decent sculpting, decent painting but best in class modelling.

Revanto
01-03-2018, 06:22 PM
I already have Substance Painter but I thought it would be useful for Lightwave to have the ability to read sbsar files so I could compile things natively.

So, far, I am still more comfortable in working with PBR texturing in Substance Painter. LW2018's PBR texturing still feels a bit weird to me, while SP was something I picked up practically instantly. It also helps that SP has a layering system like Photoshop or the old LW. I think that the layering system for the non-standard materials like the principled BDSF system should have had an optional setting to keep it (IE so they have the 'T' button like with the old LW). I always work better in layers than in nodes.

Honestly, I kind of think that LW2018 is a 'baby steps' version. There will lots of small (and large) things wrong with it but, hopefully, in time we'll get new releases that fixes the problems and adds necessary (and optionally backward compatibly) features that we need.

I'm not really intending to have to spend more money on a plugin just to use substances, though. No disrespect to Oliver, though. I'm pretty sure that his tools are useful but I just dropped a ton of cash in this LW upgrade so I'm not ready to drop more any time soon.

Rev.

BeeVee
01-04-2018, 02:38 AM
Honestly, I kind of think that LW2018 is a 'baI'm not really intending to have to spend more money on a plugin just to use substances, though. No disrespect to Oliver, though. I'm pretty sure that his tools are useful but I just dropped a ton of cash in this LW upgrade so I'm not ready to drop more any time soon.

Oliver has been working hard for ages; the Substance support is just a small part of what is offered by his tools. One of the game changers for me is his additions to Presets (scene, object, IES lights, etc.), but there are literally hundreds more.

B

sadkkf
01-04-2018, 06:43 AM
I already have Substance Painter but I thought it would be useful for Lightwave to have the ability to read sbsar files so I could compile things natively.

So, far, I am still more comfortable in working with PBR texturing in Substance Painter. LW2018's PBR texturing still feels a bit weird to me, while SP was something I picked up practically instantly. It also helps that SP has a layering system like Photoshop or the old LW. I think that the layering system for the non-standard materials like the principled BDSF system should have had an optional setting to keep it (IE so they have the 'T' button like with the old LW). I always work better in layers than in nodes.

Honestly, I kind of think that LW2018 is a 'baby steps' version. There will lots of small (and large) things wrong with it but, hopefully, in time we'll get new releases that fixes the problems and adds necessary (and optionally backward compatibly) features that we need.

I'm not really intending to have to spend more money on a plugin just to use substances, though. No disrespect to Oliver, though. I'm pretty sure that his tools are useful but I just dropped a ton of cash in this LW upgrade so I'm not ready to drop more any time soon.

Rev.

I get what you're saying and wish LW would also have native support for Substance. Still, at only $25 for this plugin, it seems like a no-brainer for me.

Revanto
01-04-2018, 06:10 PM
I get what you're saying and wish LW would also have native support for Substance. Still, at only $25 for this plugin, it seems like a no-brainer for me.

Oh, I thought his substance tools were in the main tool set and not separate. Well, if they work well enough then I'd be willing to shell out that much.

Rev.

Jake
01-04-2018, 06:57 PM
So I've been looking over the OD Tools package and see that there is a PBR importer included in the tools. Do you actually need the substance reader if you have the other importer? What does the substance reader add that the PBR importer is missing?

TheLexx
01-04-2018, 07:09 PM
So I've been looking over the OD Tools package and see that there is a PBR importer included in the tools. Do you actually need the substance reader if you have the other importer? What does the substance reader add that the PBR importer is missing?

There are videos of each on his Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/oliverhotz)which might give a better idea for you. :)