PDA

View Full Version : LW2018 Docs not viewable on ipad

rdelissio
01-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Tried to view the online docs on my ipad but all i get is a login box and what loks like a default page.has anyone else tried to view on ios yet?

Signal to Noise
01-02-2018, 08:30 PM
I just tried it on my old 4th Gen iPad. Site opens up fine and login box appears. I cancel the login box and page appears fine. But there is little to navigate, unlike when viewing from desktop computer.

c.1
01-02-2018, 08:46 PM
Yeah me too, a PDF would be cool, I think on PC there is an option to ‘save to pdf’ but I haven’t tried it yet (upper right hand menu ona pc)

ConjureBunny
01-02-2018, 10:31 PM
The Save to PDF link is either broken, or the site that does it is down. That really sucks.

TheLexx
01-03-2018, 12:32 AM
The "Save to PDF" only seems to do the one particular page viewed at the time.

mattc
01-03-2018, 02:06 AM
The "Save to PDF" only seems to do the one particular page viewed at the time.

Yup. Confluence does not allow you to print an entire space unless you are a) a valid user and b) have space privs to be able to do so. NT may decide to print the site to PDF and make it available. It is not something enabled in confluence by default.

raw-m
01-03-2018, 02:14 AM
Works for me, two things to do:
Login will pop up a couple of times, just hit cancel
Under the Share icon, tap on Request Desktop Site.... off you go :D

raw-m
01-03-2018, 02:30 AM
PS, scrolling is weird, I’d suggest using the Reader View (little lines icon to the left of the address bar).

rdelissio
01-03-2018, 04:35 AM
Tried the request desktop site and it works. Atleast I can see the index on the left now.
Thanks for the hint.

Spinland
01-03-2018, 05:49 AM
Looks like much of the content is composed of Microsoft Word document files served up by the web pages. Might be possible to save the more useful ones off as such? Haven't tried it, myself.

BeeVee
01-03-2018, 10:25 AM
It really is no such thing. If anything it is composed of InDesign documents massaged through the importer to convert to Confluence, but edited from their 2015 version so that there are few comparisons overall if there have been changes made since 2015 (the LightWave version rather than the year, though both apply :)). Word hasn't been used in the manufacture of LightWave documentation since I've been on the watch, and that's fifteen years or so...

B

Spinland
01-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Okay, then, my bad. Here is a screen shot of part of the directory structure of that site:

When I open one of those files in Word I get this:

Spinland
01-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Here's the header of one of the .doc files, shows the Confluence lineage you mention. Also note the tags for Office and Word type doc handling.

So, I learned something today.

No insult was intended, the actual app used to create the files doesn't matter in the context of my suggestion. Point is, they walk and talk like Word files and can be handled as such, and that similarity might be useful for people having issues reading them. It's all good. :jam:

BeeVee
01-03-2018, 01:05 PM
I didn't think there was, never fear :) I am very surprised to see this and can only imagine that Word is used as a stepping stone between InDesign and Confluence by some automagic process for conversion. Can you give me a url for the docs list you have there, please?

B

BigHache
01-03-2018, 03:53 PM
I am very surprised to see this and can only imagine that Word is used as a stepping stone between InDesign and Confluence by some automagic process for conversion.

That very well could be since everyone tends to use the "wonderful" software that composes MS Office as the gold standard. Might even be an XML export/import between them.

Signal to Noise
01-03-2018, 05:12 PM
Works for me, two things to do:
Login will pop up a couple of times, just hit cancel
Under the Share icon, tap on Request Desktop Site.... off you go :D

I tried the Switch to Desktop Version and it is unresponsive to tap.
I also originally tried the Share|Request Desktop Site and the page load just hangs once clicking on LightWave 2018 on the Dashboard page.

Spinland
01-04-2018, 05:16 AM
I didn't think there was, never fear :) I am very surprised to see this and can only imagine that Word is used as a stepping stone between InDesign and Confluence by some automagic process for conversion. Can you give me a url for the docs list you have there, please?

B

I'd be happy to, except that's a directory listing of my local copies and so there's no URL.

I also noted the site has a pretty cool built in PDF converter. For example: to get a PDF of the 2D Textures listing you'd use this URL:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/spaces/flyingpdf/pdfpageexport.action?pageId=1857189

That's not very practical as-is because you have to know the page ID of the one you want, and who wants to use a long URL like that page by page, but it's still a cool utility you have there.

I reckon my point, aside from geeking out over web code stuff, is the raw material is all there to make the info friendly to tablets like iPads—though I'm not yet sure how to leverage that. Maybe someone has ideas. :jam: