PDA

View Full Version : Lw2018 Hub issues on Mac

hypersuperduper
01-02-2018, 12:06 PM
I am having some issues with my trial of 2018 on OS X. Any surface changes I make in layout arenít syncing in modeler. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Support have tried to help but canít reproduce it. Apparently itís something to do with my setup.

My Hub is on and things like layout view in modeler work. But surface changes donít sync. 2015.3 works fine.

Also I need to advance a frame for any changes in modeler to sync in layout which I donít have to do in 2015.3.

Any Mac users out there that are familiar with this issue?

Markc
01-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Have you tried clicking the sync layout button in modeler.

hypersuperduper
01-02-2018, 12:27 PM
Yeah. Doesn’t really help, unfortunately.

jwiede
01-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Did Support say they couldn't replicate it? I was able to replicate it here (specs per sig) with 2018.0 trial in no time, Layout changes to object surfaces don't appear to sync back to Modeler.

If you save object owning surface from Layout and _then_ hit "Synchronize Layout" in Modeler, Modeler only then recognizes the surface change, but that's not how I'd expect synchronization to work. I'd expect the synch to pass across the updated surfacing, no explicit save needed (and if explicitly saved from Layout, Modeler really ought to pick that up automatically, not require me to hit "Synchronize Layout" again to notice the file changed).

This is kind of the worst of both worlds as it's currently working.

hypersuperduper
01-03-2018, 02:34 AM
Apparently they suspect it has something to do with my permissions, but I can't for the life of me imagine what it could be, and why it only limits some hub functions but not all.

Can anyone using a mac confirm that surface syncing works correctly in a full version of 2018 on mac? I seem to remember vaguely that I had a similar problem with a trial version of lw 11 that disappeared when I went to the full version.

by works correctly I mean if I make a surface change in layout it appears in modeler without any extra action on my part.

raw-m
01-03-2018, 03:07 AM
I’m have some Hub strangeness, too. If I do a simple scale in Modeller and hop to Layout, no change. I have to go back to Modeller and synchronise with Layout, then the scale takes place. Not an issue I’ve had before.

hypersuperduper
01-03-2018, 03:08 AM
I’m have some Hub strangeness, too. If I do a simple scale in Modeller and hop to Layout, no change. I have to go back to Modeller and synchronise with Layout, then the scale takes place. Not an issue I’ve had before.

are you on a full or trial version?

hypersuperduper
01-03-2018, 03:16 AM
If you haven't already, anyone who is having these issues please submit a bug report. if several of us are having this issue there is a greater chance they will find and fix it.

raw-m
01-03-2018, 04:17 AM
are you on a full or trial version?

Full. Will submit a report.

hypersuperduper
01-03-2018, 04:45 AM
Full. Will submit a report.

Awesome! 2018 is pretty cool, but its has its share of issues for us Mac users. The fact that the installer didn't work with the default unpacker on mac and this hub issue is a little disheartening. I hope they fix ASAP.

avkills
01-03-2018, 05:13 AM
Yes modeler and layout not auto syncing object changes for me either.

IanRT
01-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Having the same problem on PC. Support were very quick to offer suggestion that it was permissions, firewall or antivirus. Switched off antivirus, firewall and
gave Admin permisssion but still no luck. Have posted a report so hopefully they will look into it.

aperezg
01-04-2018, 09:29 AM
I am having some issues with my trial of 2018 on OS X. Any surface changes I make in layout arenít syncing in modeler. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Support have tried to help but canít reproduce it. Apparently itís something to do with my setup.

My Hub is on and things like layout view in modeler work. But surface changes donít sync. 2015.3 works fine.

Also I need to advance a frame for any changes in modeler to sync in layout which I donít have to do in 2015.3.

Any Mac users out there that are familiar with this issue?

Yep Full version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aV8sbGHjAM

aperezg
01-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Did Support say they couldn't replicate it? I was able to replicate it here (specs per sig) with 2018.0 trial in no time, Layout changes to object surfaces don't appear to sync back to Modeler.

If you save object owning surface from Layout and _then_ hit "Synchronize Layout" in Modeler, Modeler only then recognizes the surface change, but that's not how I'd expect synchronization to work. I'd expect the synch to pass across the updated surfacing, no explicit save needed (and if explicitly saved from Layout, Modeler really ought to pick that up automatically, not require me to hit "Synchronize Layout" again to notice the file changed).

This is kind of the worst of both worlds as it's currently working.

This is the way that its work.

I made a report of issue, this is the support team answer.

this is working here-

can you see if other "hub related" things are working? It's sounding like your hub is being blocked by a firewall, or antivirus

Might look at deleting configs, and launching layout and then launch modeler -let the hub reestablish connection - and try again.

Thank you for your report.
--
LightWave 3D Group Support

I don't have any antivirus installed.
The firewall is off.

I uninstall Lightwave 2018, and install a clean version.

Only it works the way that jwiede wrote above.

Maybe is a macOs High Sierra compatibility with LW

aperezg
01-05-2018, 02:55 PM
well...

I installed LW 2018 in el Os Capitan and Hub works the same way that in High Sierra.

Little strange the behavior of HUB.

I must to save the object in Layout, and go to Modeler and make a click in synchronize, the same thing in modeler, save the object in modeler an then make a click in synchronize.

This two things are for view the changes that I made in surfaces editor in both (Modeler and Layout).

hypersuperduper
01-05-2018, 03:43 PM
Newtek has now received three bug reports about this at least. It’s safe to say they can’t assume that we ALL have something wrong with our setups and will work on figuring out the issue. As far as I’m concerned Bugs like this are fine in a first release as long as they fix them quickly. Mac users are accustomed to being second class citizens when it comes to 3D software.

jwiede
01-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Newtek has now received three bug reports about this at least. It’s safe to say they can’t assume that we ALL have something wrong with our setups and will work on figuring out the issue.
The fact that LW Support keep blaming firewall/AV suggests that, no, it isn't safe to say or believe that.

As far as I’m concerned Bugs like this are fine in a first release as long as they fix them quickly.
Historically, expecting quick fixes to Lightwave isn't ever a safe bet -- particularly for LW Mac.

hypersuperduper
01-06-2018, 08:24 AM
The fact that LW Support keep blaming firewall/AV suggests that, no, it isn't safe to say or believe that.

Historically, expecting quick fixes to Lightwave isn't ever a safe bet -- particularly for LW Mac.

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. they said things will be different, so I am making clear my expectations. Don't bother reminding me about their history I am well aware. If they don't fix these bugs I probably won't upgrade. its basically that simple. lw2018 seems promising and some things I really like, but unless they fix things like this promptly it will be hard to justify the upgrade when my trial runs out because I won't really be able to use it.

paulg625
01-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Just FYI I'm having same problem with syncing between modeler and layout in Windows 10 (latest build) also another thing about them saying its a firewall issue I can send the model to layout and from layout just not updating.

aperezg
01-06-2018, 12:27 PM
After playing with LW 2018 for 5 days, I think at the end of it all, this problem is a small problem. I hope that in the next compilation they fix it.
Lightwave 2018.0 is better in many other things, than LW 2015.3.

But before starting in a serious job, I must learn a lot about how new things work in LW 2018.0 and change all old surfaces textures to a new BSDF surface texture.

IanRT
01-06-2018, 04:20 PM
worked for me in windows 10

Make sure nothing is running. No layout, modeler, or hub.

Delete configs:
Go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\.NewTek\LightWave\LIGHTWAVE_ VERSION

and delete all files except the license folder.

Then, launch Layout - then Modeler. Allowing the hub to launch, but launch each application directly. Then try to see if they will sync.

paulg625
01-06-2018, 06:44 PM
OK this worked for me everything is now syncing correctly both directions even back to automatically when I update model in modeler. There were a lot of configure files in that folder. I copied to a new folder . it only created 2 files there were 10ish are there any I need to keep will other things not work?

and above all thanks for the info!!!

worked for me in windows 10

Make sure nothing is running. No layout, modeler, or hub.

Delete configs:
Go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\.NewTek\LightWave\LIGHTWAVE_ VERSION

and delete all files except the license folder.

Then, launch Layout - then Modeler. Allowing the hub to launch, but launch each application directly. Then try to see if they will sync.

IanRT
01-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Pleased to hear it worked for you paulg625 . Thanks are due to lightwave support who solved the problem.

jwiede
01-07-2018, 06:17 PM
No difference here on Mac even after clearing configs.

hypersuperduper
01-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Just to let you all know I reconnected with support about this and theyíve been very helpful and have sent it on to the devs to look into it. So hereís hoping they figure out whatís going on soon!

In the mean time, for me at least, if I launch modeler and layout in the HUB free mode I get better object syncing. I only have to save the object in layout for the surface to update in modeler. Which while not perfect is better than it was otherwise for me. The layout perspective view wonít work without the hub though.

avkills
01-08-2018, 10:58 AM
I just tried to do a tutorial by Antti and the Mac version is not acting at all like what is being done on the Windows version. Mac version has something wrong IMO. Gotta go to work, but later tonight I am going to install on Windows and load my scene made on the Mac and see what happens.

ConjureBunny
01-08-2018, 12:15 PM
A known bug in 2018 is that AppleEvents are not being processed properly on the Mac.

You can see this by double-clicking any file with LW closed. It will launch the app, but not open the file.

I don't remember if the Hub uses AppleEvents to communicate, but if it does, that could be related.

-Chilton

Felipe Soto
01-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Deleted configs' working now! Thanks
High Sierra 10.13.1

nietzwaar
01-21-2018, 05:41 AM
Where did you delete your configs on the MAC?
I/m also having trouble with the HUB and surfacing, but also syncing between my objects, this should really go as easy as it did in 2015.3. There I didn't have to do anything, it would always sync when I changed my object.

BeeVee
01-21-2018, 12:44 PM
There is a problem that has been reported and will be fixed.

B

jwiede
01-21-2018, 12:55 PM
There is a problem that has been reported and will be fixed.

Can you clarify the nature of the problem? There's been a couple discussed in this thread, so knowing which you meant would be valuable.

BeeVee
01-21-2018, 01:13 PM
The problem I saw and reported went something like:

>1. Run Modeler 2018.0.1 with Hub;
>2. Create box, save and send to Layout;
>3. Switch to Layout, open Surface Editor, change colour;
>4. Switch back to Modeler. The object is still default grey and the object isn't marked as "dirty" (with an asterisk in the filename);
>5. In Modeler, open Surface Editor, change the same colour, Layout doesn't update.

This problem had already been reported and is being worked on.

B

jwiede
01-21-2018, 01:48 PM
The problem I saw and reported went something like:

>1. Run Modeler 2018.0.1 with Hub;
>2. Create box, save and send to Layout;
>3. Switch to Layout, open Surface Editor, change colour;
>4. Switch back to Modeler. The object is still default grey and the object isn't marked as "dirty" (with an asterisk in the filename);
>5. In Modeler, open Surface Editor, change the same colour, Layout doesn't update.

This problem had already been reported and is being worked on.

Good to know (this is the one I was hoping you meant)! Thanks!