PDA

View Full Version : Render Outlines in LW2018

Snosrap
01-01-2018, 07:06 PM
Is it possible to render outlines like in 2015? I can't seem to find anything like this in the new version.

jboudreau
01-01-2018, 07:20 PM
Is it possible to render outlines like in 2015? I can't seem to find anything like this in the new version.

Don't feel bad, Where is the edges tab that use to be in Object properties panel. (Silhouette edges, Sharp Creases.... )

Never mind found it it's next to the geometry tab. You probably have to use that to do render outlines now

Thanks,
Jason

Snosrap
01-01-2018, 07:24 PM
Don't feel bad, Where is the edges tab that use to be in Object properties panel. (Silhouette edges, Sharp Creases.... ) Looks like it was taken out too

No - that's there. Go to "Object Properties", you'll see a Edges tab under Primitives. :)

Jake
01-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Don't feel bad, Where is the edges tab that use to be in Object properties panel. (Silhouette edges, Sharp Creases.... ) Looks like it was taken out too

It's all still there. You go to object properties and there's a tab that says geometry and another that says edges right next to it. That list of options also includes the "other edges" option, with which you can use a material shader. I think all the old options are still there with a couple more.

OFF
01-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Wow, it's not good!

jboudreau
01-01-2018, 07:42 PM

Here you go: Use the edges tab that is found under the object properties panel. Set your buffer or render output to edges. Also make sure you have render lines checked on in your render Render properties panel / Render Tab

What's also interesting is the cube object in layout no longer shows as triangles instead it shows as quads (that must be one of the changes from LWO2 to LWO3 objects)

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

No - that's there. Go to "Object Properties", you'll see a Edges tab under Primitives. :)

Yeah I know, I updated it above once I noticed where it was located. Sorry about that guys.

Sensei
01-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Weight map trick works great for me.. :)

and you can control thickness of edge..

Snosrap
01-01-2018, 08:14 PM
Nope guys - none of those are it. "Render Outlines" is a surface parameter in LW2015 all these Edge rendering options are Object parameters and effect the complete object. With "Render Outlines" you can input a negative value and get a volume that will cast shadows and can be surfaced with standard surfacing inputs. That's why I think if something along these line s is included with 2018 it's most likely part of the surface editor. But I can't find it.

Skonk
01-02-2018, 03:13 PM
I'm 100% sure I had seen an image showing exactly this in some LW 2018 promotional gumpf so I'm sure it's still possible... but I can't for the life of me remember where I'd seen it so I can't check.

Igu4n4
01-02-2018, 03:50 PM
I'm 100% sure I had seen an imagine showing exactly this in some LW 2018 promotional gumpf so I'm sure it's still possible... but I can't for the life of me remember where I'd seen it so I can't check.

I remember seeing this somewhere too... but cant find it hah.

But yes.. its a VERY useful feature when you need it... I've done some essential design pieces with it... must be there.

st3.

Igu4n4
01-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Found where I saw it... On Lightwave's 2018 page.

http://static.lightwave3d.com/marketing/lightwave_2018/release/img/cel-shading/lightwave3d-cel-shading-metal-shapes.jpg

called "Enhanced Edge Rendering"

st3.

BeeVee
01-02-2018, 06:32 PM
You can still do it using the negative numbers in the edge settings.

B

Jake
01-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Yeah it works. You just have to make the polygonal object invisible and then use a different material input to "edge" and "other edges" in the node editor.

Edit: in order for the edges to cast shadows, the material used for the edges has to be connected to the edge input.

Sensei
01-02-2018, 06:39 PM
You can still do it using the negative numbers in the edge settings.

He wanted to have it per surface per object (inside of Surface Editor),
not just per object (Object Properties).

Snosrap
01-02-2018, 08:12 PM
Yeah it works. You just have to make the polygonal object invisible and then use a different material input to "edge" and "other edges" in the node editor.

Edit: in order for the edges to cast shadows, the material used for the edges has to be connected to the edge input.

Sorry - I don't follow. Please make a knife cut through your cube and surface the two half differently.

- - - Updated - - -

He wanted to have it per surface per object (inside of Surface Editor),
not just per object (Object Properties).

Exactly! I don't see that anywhere in 2018.

jwiede
01-02-2018, 08:37 PM
Exactly! I don't see that anywhere in 2018.

What's really odd is that while in most other areas, surfacing moved to be surface-based instead of being tied to other stuff (ffx, volumetrics), that's precisely the opposite of what happened here: "Render Outlines" was already surface-based, and was (oddly) removed in favor an object-based approach that is actually more limited. Why?