PDA

View Full Version : New video training for 2018

RebelHill
01-01-2018, 04:58 PM
Hello all.

So, I just wanted to bring to your attention my new training series for LightWave... Lighting, Shading and Rendering in 2018!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY3KKKP3p5I

The first chapter, Foundations (plus a couple lil extras) is available for viewing now on my YouTube channel... A little over 3.5 hours of all new content to fill you in on the basic fundamentals of the new LightWave way.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTds3QePYrWFKQSaSWGMnKF7-4W84I5Tz

Great I hear you cry, so where's the rest of it? It's coming, much is done, much is yet to be done (yes, it's another deep and complete training series from me), and it will be along towards the end of the month/start of next.

I am, in the meantime, having an early bird special exclusively for existing RH customers, where early access to the series thus far (which includes some of the more important areas of the new renderer and the tricks and techniques for getting the best out of it), which comes with an EB discount for those customers. If you are such a folk, you should have had the email giving you the details, if you haven't so received and want to know, let me know.

Also, you may have noticed that with it's new system LightWave has gone more over to the nodal side of things now, so in addition to this enw series, I've also made a permanent price reduction to my nodal training series...

http://rebelhill.net/html/rhn.html

Now only £20, and a bargain. I know many of you have had this series and gained much from it, but for those who haven't and now are seeing the need to get up to speed on such things, then it's even easier (and cheaper) than ever now.

So there we go, I do hope if nothing else you like the foundations section fo this new training and that it gives you something of a helpful leg up in getting to grips with the new renderer, it's principles and workings. Trust me, one you get a handle on using it, you are going to love it.

Cheers all.

ruscular
01-01-2018, 11:56 PM
I am superbly looking forward to this! Thank you for creating this tutorial and it was a great introduction.

madno
01-02-2018, 12:15 AM
Does it include info about how to setup, shade and render FiberFX?
Tried a simple FFX scene yesterday with not so good result.

adk
01-02-2018, 04:54 AM
Looking forward to this release. Your other stuff is superb !

Cobalt
01-02-2018, 05:11 AM
I signed up and look forward to your videos. Thanks much!

Eagle66
01-02-2018, 05:22 AM
Hey there,

that is very cool, i wonder what is about this VFX Serie / Lessons: "LSR-LW Projects - BB Droid Final Render"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku25iCqnPFw

Is this VFX Project Part of this ?

elephantboy90
01-02-2018, 05:43 AM
I have the rhn tutorials which are excellent - clear and concise. I can't see where I can sign up for the new series on the web site however ("having an early bird special exclusively for existing RH customers, where early access to the series thus far").

Spinland
01-02-2018, 06:20 AM
Most cool, Craig. Your stuff is up there with what I consider the gold standard of video instruction. Count me in. :jam:

OFF
01-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Cool tutorials. How do you drag data colors using only the mouse pointer?

allabulle
01-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Having all RH products but no e-mail here either. I'd like to join the EB too. Maybe they're on the way?

omichon
01-02-2018, 01:13 PM
Cool tutorials. How do you drag data colors using only the mouse pointer?

Right-Click on the source color, then CTRL + Right-Click on the destination color.

Having all RH products but no e-mail here either. I'd like to join the EB too. Maybe they're on the way?
Same here.

Looks great, RH !

grabiller
01-02-2018, 04:41 PM
[LSR-LW Foundations 09 - Dynamic Range]

Hi Craig,

Regarding the anti-aliasing issue for visible lights that have HDR Intensity resulting in image color values way beyond 1.0/255 and indeed resulting in aliased edges of the visible lights, there is a workaround that can be applied in the Light node editor:

When the light ray hits the camera its direction is always a null vector so we can detect this and apply a factor to the "Luminaire Color" (which in fact is a multiplier not the actual Color). This does not affect the object illumination, just the visible light surface.

By setting the right value for the True parameter of the Logic Node then it is possible to reduce the resulting color of the visible light surface near 255 and then have proper antialiasing. This works only for the surface of visible lights, not for the surface of illuminated objects but this might be convenient in case the light is far enough so the illuminated objects surfaces colors are in range while the light surface color goes crazy.

For the antialiasing of the object surface highlights in case the light is very strong, even if you do not activate the "Limit Dynamic Range" option you can still use the "HDR Filtering" options (especially Gaussian) which can help considerably. But this wont help for the visible light surfaces.

By using the HDR Filtering option for objects surfaces strong highlights and the light node editor trick shown above I believe it is possible to solve any antialiasing issues whith HDR lighting without the need to resort to the "Limit Dynamic Range" option or go for post-process workaround.

MichaelT
01-02-2018, 05:03 PM
What happens exactly? EDIT: Never mind.. watched that video.

UnCommonGrafx
01-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Great to see.
No email, either.
I'll be getting in on this.
Robert

MichaelT
01-02-2018, 05:54 PM
[LSR-LW Foundations 09 - Dynamic Range]

Hi Craig,

Regarding the anti-aliasing issue for visible lights that have HDR Intensity resulting in image color values way beyond 1.0/255 and indeed resulting in aliased edges of the visible lights, there is a workaround that can be applied in the Light node editor:

When the light ray hits the camera its direction is always a null vector so we can detect this and apply a factor to the "Luminaire Color" (which in fact is a multiplier not the actual Color). This does not affect the object illumination, just the visible light surface.

By setting the right value for the True parameter of the Logic Node then it is possible to reduce the resulting color of the visible light surface near 255 and then have proper antialiasing. This works only for the surface of visible lights, not for the surface of illuminated objects but this might be convenient in case the light is far enough so the illuminated objects surfaces colors are in range while the light surface color goes crazy.

For the antialiasing of the object surface highlights in case the light is very strong, even if you do not activate the "Limit Dynamic Range" option you can still use the "HDR Filtering" options (especially Gaussian) which can help considerably. But this wont help for the visible light surfaces.

By using the HDR Filtering option for objects surfaces strong highlights and the light node editor trick shown above I believe it is possible to solve any antialiasing issues whith HDR lighting without the need to resort to the "Limit Dynamic Range" option or go for post-process workaround.

That won't work. Because the intensity can be greater than that. Also you will affect the intensity in a bad way. You need to use python to write a script that handles it properly. There just aren't enough nodes to handle that case.

Astrocom
01-02-2018, 05:58 PM
I received an email with the same message and towards the end there is a link
to purchase. It lead me to a Paypal login page directly without any details or sign up info.
Could this be someone phishing your offer? I don't see any sign up or purchase link from your
link here. Just making sure the email I received is legit.

I'd prefer you make the offer through a link here.

MichaelT
01-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Never trust mails unless you know whom it is from. When in doubt, check the raw mail text, and look for the return address, scammers never have valid mails. They typically point to some never heard of server. That said, what offer are you talking about? If it is LW, then it is handled right on their page.

grabiller
01-02-2018, 11:02 PM
That won't work. Because the intensity can be greater than that. Also you will affect the intensity in a bad way. You need to use python to write a script that handles it properly. There just aren't enough nodes to handle that case.

Why are you trying to predict the future with unfunded and authoritative statements while the past already shown it is working perfectly fine without the drawbacks you've just invented ?

At the very least show us an example where this does not work and we can have a constructive discussion from there.

Astrocom
01-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Never trust mails unless you know whom it is from. When in doubt, check the raw mail text, and look for the return address, scammers never have valid mails. They typically point to some never heard of server. That said, what offer are you talking about? If it is LW, then it is handled right on their page.

It's RebelHill's offer. Email was from C. Monins. I believe this is legit but quite unusual that email links directly to paypal without any purchase page. Just clarifying and if it's not legit I hope it creates an awareness here.

Edit: OK I checked the details and strangely it was addressed to [email protected] and not to my email address. But somehow it came into my inbox ........ twice.

jeric_synergy
01-03-2018, 12:48 AM

I have some, but not all. Haven't seen the email yet, mighta got filtered.

Qexit
01-03-2018, 03:26 AM
I have some, but not all. Haven't seen the email yet, mighta got filtered.It's also possible he's away from his internet access for some reason. I jumped in on his Nodes training offer yesterday afternoon and have yet to receive a download link to the videos and content...but he still has another 4 hours before the 'normally made available in 24 hours' deadline runs out :D

It's also possible he is just snowed under with email requests :)

MichaelT
01-03-2018, 04:28 AM
Why are you trying to predict the future with unfunded and authoritative statements while the past already shown it is working perfectly fine without the drawbacks you've just invented ?

At the very least show us an example where this does not work and we can have a constructive discussion from there.

How about actually trying the code you just posted on an area light like RebelHill was talking about in the video. It doesn't work... :

It will work in one case only, and this is because the number you are using only works for that case:

So again... you need proper code to solve this. It is the only way to handle all cases.

grabiller
01-03-2018, 05:11 AM
How about actually trying the code you just posted on an area light like RebelHill was talking about in the video. It doesn't work... :

It will work in one case only, and this is because the number you are using only works for that case:

So again... you need proper code to solve this. It is the only way to handle all cases.

You realize that the 0.0001 value was given as en example, right ? Or are you acting stupid on purpose ?

I said: "By setting the right value for the True parameter of the Logic Node then ../.." which obviously mean you have to adjust this parameter depending on the intensity of your light. It is not automatic, you have to set the right value.

Of course with a 3.0k light intensity as in the RebelHill example you wont use 0.0001, but a much higher value. And it will definitively work.

So again.. stop saying it is not working while trolling and not settings things up properly.

MichaelT
01-03-2018, 05:17 AM
It is not trolling.. if you present a solution.. then it should be a solution where people don't have to remember what value they set things to. If you think this is a good solution... great.. but having a scene with hundreds of lights.. then this very quickly becomes a problem. But if you don't want to see that.. fine.

grabiller
01-03-2018, 05:38 AM
I presented a workaround to a specific issue. Whether it's one click or not, automatic or not is irrelevant. You start frorm there then adapt it to your needs. The point is that the issue can be addressed directly in the Node Editor with this workaround without resorting to post process.

Then you don't insert yourself into the discussion by simply saying "it does not work" yet giving false arguments. That's not helping and that certainly does not help peoples.

But if you knew better you would know this workaround could be automated up to some point by using the light intensity parameter value which is accessible through a node information. I did not used it because in my case I have some situations where the value needed to counteract the intensity goes below floating point precision in which case you have to do things manually. This will need a bit of elbow grease which is something that seems to have disappeared nowadays.

MichaelT
01-03-2018, 05:52 AM
...This will need a bit of elbow grease which is something that seems to have disappeared nowadays.

That is true :)

Qexit
01-03-2018, 08:08 AM
It's also possible he's away from his internet access for some reason. I jumped in on his Nodes training offer yesterday afternoon and have yet to receive a download link to the videos and content...but he still has another 4 hours before the 'normally made available in 24 hours' deadline runs out :D

It's also possible he is just snowed under with email requests :)Links now received, so off to play...er...study them diligently :)

RebelHill
01-03-2018, 08:29 AM
Does it include info about how to setup, shade and render FiberFX?

There'll be a couple small bits on the FFX shader (hair shader), but FFX overall is a whole topic unto itself (and, as many of us know, can be a bit unruly, there's probably a reason no one has really done an authoratitive giude to FFX before now).

Is this VFX Project Part of this ?

Sure, that's one of the large project videos, start to finish of the BB shot (not including modeling, since its a downloaded mesh/testure set, nor animation, cos, well, there's nothing fancy there). But all surfacing, scene setup, lighting, optimisation, rendering, etc.

Just making sure the email I received is legit. I'd prefer you make the offer through a link here.

It's legit, the link goes straight to the paypal site (its basically a "buy now" button in link form). It's emailed out as the early bird is an existing customer exclusive, rather than a public offering.

Additionally, for those who've mentioned not having received an email, I've heard from some of you, just gonna be sending details out now, for the others, drop me an email if you've not done so already so I'll know who to respond to.

Also, links for the RHN stuff are ofc going out straight away... the "early bird block" of vids from the new rendering series will be going out in the next couple days... just a got a few updates and re-edits to do to account for some lil things in the final release version we now have.

Cheers all.

RebelHill
01-03-2018, 09:19 AM
[LSR-LW Foundations 09 - Dynamic Range]... Hi Craig... "stuff"

Sure, you can indeed muddle around with the "in image" intensity of the light whilst having no effect on the amount of lighting it casts into the scene, that can be one way to worm around the issue. Ofc, avoiding the use of "limit dynamic range" is only important in cases where you want to be able to do tonemapping, or perhaps some heavy re-exposure in post. If you're intending to go with (more or less) what you get in the final render output, then you're jsut as well using LDR. But it's on the former case, wanting to re-expose in post, that you may then run into a problem with your method, as the light as it appears in image, no longer has the "correct" brightness, and so that may scupper you there.

There are a few work arounds you can do in LW (or other renderers) to try and fix certain aspects of this is different ways to suit one situation or another... but it always falls back to how much re-exposure you want/need in post later. For the most part, this has it's greatest level of importance in vfx pipelines, where you're needing to integrate your cg elements with live action ones. In such situations, the ideal workflow is not to bother with dynamic range fixing in the 3d app, but rather to break everything into as many parts/passes as you can, you can then assemble them in comp, and do any post effect AA there after you've properly matched to your live plate elements, at which point it also becomes unimportant what the "over-exposed" elements are... lights, surfaces, voxels... its all just pixels at that point, and so the workflow you use there you can use on everything. It may be little quicker in terms of the time to do/prep a single one off shot, but repeated for shot after shot after shot it certainly becomes more productive and efficient handled that way.

Airwaves
01-06-2018, 04:16 PM
I just got your nodal training and am looking forward to learning. The only complaint I have is the US dollar is not what it used to be LOL

Just kidding. No complaints and thank you for your training.

Revanto
01-06-2018, 08:19 PM
Hi RebelHill,

Thanks for your awesome videos. I went through quite a few of them and it helped me out a bit in Layout. I did kind of fall asleep when you were setting up the nodes for PBR in your 'standard shader' video, though. It felt like we were creeping into Pov-Ray territory.... But that's how I am with nodes.

I'm glad that I can still achieve good PBR-esque materials using the standard shader even if it does require some extra manual work. I can play with the Principled BDSF material but the standard shader feels more familiar to me.

There is one thing I'm hoping you could clarify for me. In your videos, you mentioned the conservation of energy and how you had the adjust the settings in the standard shader so that it fits the formula. However, I'd like to know the FULL range of which settings (IE diffuse, specular, gloss, etc...) that need to be considered in LW2018 to ensure the 100% total value?

I just want to make sure there are no settings/attributes that you may have missed to ensure that I can get things looking right.

You know, the weird thing is that whenever you spoke on your videos, I always imagined Simon Tofield doing the voice as he sounds similar (he's an animator who makes "Simon's Cat"). I know, silly....

Thanks again for your great videos. I know that if I ever need a good sleep, I can always watch one of your videos where you set up nodes :)

Cheers,
Revanto :p

RebelHill
01-07-2018, 10:17 AM
In your videos, you mentioned the conservation of energy and how you had the adjust the settings in the standard shader so that it fits the formula. However, I'd like to know the FULL range of which settings (IE diffuse, specular, gloss, etc...) that need to be considered in LW2018 to ensure the 100% total value?

So... energy conservation is ONLY about the TRANSPORT of light (or more correctly, it's energy). Thus, the only things that need to balance out (add up) are diffuse, specular, and transmission. If you've got 60% specular reflection and 60% transparency, that means you're putting 100% of light "in", and getting 120% "out". Remember that when I say transmission, that includes transparency (as in glass), translucency and SSS.

How blurry/sharp/soft/scattered something is matters not a jot to the energy conservation, that's just the "spread" of the "outgoing" light from the surface. You also don't need to care about luminosity, as this is light emitted from the surface, not being bounced off/through it, and that represents light energy being "added" by the surface itself.

The standard material might well feel more familiar, but remember it's inclusion is mainly to give backwards compatability with surfaces created in earlier versions of LW... to ensure that it's pbr correct for the new renderer does require a bit of extra work to make sure you're getting the conservation right, and the nodes certainly do help (since you can take the inverse of one value to drive another, ensuring proper behaviour, and doubly so when it comes to managing things like fresnel effects). That said, you will do well when either recreating old surfaces for 2018, or doing all new work in it, to have a go with the Principled material... since it does all this stuff for you automatically, and you can focus on the material "look" in terms of the conductor/insulator divide discussed in the foundations videos there. It may seem a bit weird at first, since it does represent a quite different workflow and way of thinking, but once youve used it a few times and gotten a bit used to it, you'll love it more than standard and find it easy as pie. (And thanks to it doing so much of the pbr work for you, you'll find it even less necessary to fiddle about much with nodes, aside from plugging in the odd texture map or procedural which, lets be honest, is flippin easy)

The only complaint I have is the US dollar is not what it used to be

Nah... it's totally what it USED to be, now that the currency markets have mostly gotten over themselves with respect to the whole brexit shenanigans.

Asticles
01-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Hi, your tutorials are awesome.

Can you make something about interior lighting?

Regards!

RebelHill
01-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Can you make something about interior lighting?

That's gonna be in the final series once done (it's also in the early bird advance set).

TheLexx
01-07-2018, 11:34 AM
That's gonna be in the final series once done (it's also in the early bird advance set).

Hi RebelHill, I've paid for the early bird and haven't received any links (which is fine as I'm happy to wait till final version then go through it all in order), but I'm just checking I haven't misunderstood anything. :)

Asticles
01-07-2018, 11:42 AM

Thanks for your answer.

Btw, your GI Tutorial On cmiVFX link does not work for me.

Regards

RebelHill
01-07-2018, 11:45 AM
Btw, your GI Tutorial On cmiVFX link does not work for me.

Oh, so it doesnt... it can be found with a search though... https://cmivfx.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search_terms=lightwave

However, do note that this is all using the old system, 2018 has a good few changes which put that tutorial out of date. But fear not, the new workings of the 2018 GI system will be covered in these new 2018 videos.

Revanto
01-07-2018, 10:25 PM
So... energy conservation is ONLY about the TRANSPORT of light (or more correctly, it's energy). Thus, the only things that need to balance out (add up) are diffuse, specular, and transmission. If you've got 60% specular reflection and 60% transparency, that means you're putting 100% of light "in", and getting 120% "out". Remember that when I say transmission, that includes transparency (as in glass), translucency and SSS.

OK, I get that but that last bit stumps me. You are saying that the values:

Diffuse + Specular + Transmission = 100%

However, you split Transmission into three parts. So, does that mean the values are:

Diffuse + Specular + (Transparency + Translucency + SSS) = 100% ?

Also, is the Specular value split into any groups like EG Specular = Specular + Gloss/Roughness?

Ages ago I was watching a video that mentioned that the Diffuse colour also equalled the Diffuse Value. Meaning, the luminance value of the Diffuse colour is used to determine the Diffuse value. Is this correct?
I'm not sure if you mentioned this in your videos, though, that is, if that is correct.

Thank you for your reply, by the way. Helpful info.

Cheers,

omichon
01-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Hi RebelHill, I've paid for the early bird and haven't received any links (which is fine as I'm happy to wait till final version then go through it all in order), but I'm just checking I haven't misunderstood anything. :)

I am on the same boat :)

allabulle
01-08-2018, 08:30 AM
I guess there's many of us in that boat. We'll get our grog as the Captain releases it sailor by sailor, I presume.

zapper1998
01-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Love all the new videos they are awesome thank you. :)

Like a few other people asked about Interior Lighting how to's would be awesome.

But having difficulty wrapping my head around some issues with indoor, interior lighting... with the new lights..

hmmm going to see if this new thinking cap made out of alum foil used for alien mind probe protection will work...

:)

RebelHill
01-08-2018, 11:21 AM
I guess there's many of us in that boat.

Yeah... a couple days overdue on my expectation. Mainly it's been because I keep seeing folk posting around, different questions, misunderstandings, confusions, and it makes me think... ooh, I should add that in, or maybe explain this certain thing a bit differently. So I go back make some changes, re-record a bit, etc. It's left me with a couple do-overs, and by the time I change something, invariably there are new posts/questions that make me think again.

On the one hand its a pain in the arse, and has led to a bit of repeating stuff... on the other though, it's really good, as folks initial experiences with 2018 are helping me shape some of the most important explanations for how to work with the new system. This can only serve to make the tutorials more thorough, complete, and clear overall, which should improve their usefulness and value for everyone. So to that extent Im happy, and I'm quite confident you all will be too.

Anyhow, the initial early bird set is pretty much ready now... there's near 9 hours worth of stuff, so plenty to learn. Just gotta be uploading the zips, which is currently a bit slow on my connection (went fine last night, today its crap). But it's all going, so... links tomorrow!

Cheers all.

allabulle
01-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Aye Captain. Good news indeed. And thanks.

TheLexx
01-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Same, and a particularly fine reason for the delay. :)

omichon
01-08-2018, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the news RH, seems very promising and informative, as always with your products :)

Greenlaw
01-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Thanks for creating another excellent training series, Craig!

Same here, no email yet for this offer. Can I get on the EB mailing list?

allabulle
01-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Thanks for creating another excellent training series, Craig!

Same here, no email yet for this offer. Can I get on the EB mailing list?

I sent him an e-mail asking to get into the early bird promotion as he pointed out in this very thread and he e-mailed back with the corresponding link to pre-purchase. He already has you as a previous client, if you are. It may take him a few hours since he's not precisely idle, but worked fine with me.

Disclaimer: I'm not speaking on his behalf, mind you. But it worked. :-)

Greenlaw
01-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Got the email and on board now. :)

elephantboy90
01-08-2018, 09:44 PM
RH, although I got the Nodal training course, I haven't received an email and your web site makes no mention of it other than the original tutorial collection. How do I register?

Regards

RebelHill
01-09-2018, 07:21 AM
Drop me an email with your details. If you originally bought the Nodal tuts through liberty3d, then I wouldnt have you on my own records.

sadkkf
01-09-2018, 07:35 AM
Am I missing something with these? Just bought them from RH directly. With the current conversion, I paid ~$28.00 US. It looks like buying them from Liberty 3d would cost ~$45.

Are they selling something different?

RebelHill
01-09-2018, 07:45 AM
Nope, same thing... Id just forgotten to set the price equivalent on lib. On it now. (you will ofc get a bit of drift between me and lib, as I price fixed in £ and lib in $, but they'll be pretty much the same).

sadkkf
01-09-2018, 08:02 AM
Outstanding. Thanks. I'm looking forward to downloading and digging in.

BTW...is there anything in these about using exported maps from Substance Painter in LW?

RebelHill
01-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Nothing specific aside from a brief mention with respect to principled material... but it's pretty simple. All you want from substance is to use the export options for the different map types on offer, and choose to export metal, rough, spec and colour (use the pbr spec option, not the non pbr one), and plug em to the appropriate slots in LW. Also, ofc, check the colour space option in substance, and be sure to match to the colour space used per map loaded in LW. (As a note the convention is to export b&w maps as linear, which in LW you need to then set in image editor, but you can set them to export as srgb [I think] and then that's jsut the default settings in LW for srgb CS).

sadkkf
01-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Brilliant. Thank you. Where would we be without you? :)

Cobalt
01-09-2018, 09:21 AM
Been watching the LW-LSR Foundations videos on your YouTube channel and they have been immensely insightful. Look forward to your in-depth LW2018 training videos!

KSTAR
01-09-2018, 03:13 PM
RH, I would like to be on the early bird list as well I bought the Nodal tutorials through Liberty 3D does that matter? If not which email should I use to contact you with my details?

raw-m
01-09-2018, 03:51 PM
Sorry to mither with another “does it include...”, but.... are there any examples of the new Mesh nodes in there, ie Mesh Part etc? I’ve found virtually nothing about them or how to use them!

Airwaves
01-09-2018, 05:49 PM
I bought the 2018 course and it is amazing so far. Highly recommend it to anybody. I do have one question about the email.

You said in the email that they come segmented. I am on windows 10 and I think it did it automatically when I extracted with 7 zip but I am not sure. How can I tell?

How many videos are in each one or how many should I see? I also don't see any content like lightwave files so does that mean it did not work? Thanks

Revanto
01-09-2018, 06:31 PM
So I go back make some changes, re-record a bit, etc. It's left me with a couple do-overs, and by the time I change something, invariably there are new posts/questions that make me think again.

RH, you did a really good job with your videos. Don't forget that. That fact that you'd be willing to go back and redo things to make sure you cover all your bases is a great thing.

When you redo some things, may I suggest that, to help with your explanations, that you add some text-like diagrams kind of like when I wrote in my post: "Diffuse + Specular + Transmission = 100%". I know that you already have diagrams in your videos but some verbal explanations would be easier to express to dummies like me if you added more diagrams like this.

Again, thanks for your contribution to the LW community.

Cheers,

SBowie
01-10-2018, 07:15 AM
You realize that the 0.0001 value was given as en example, right ? Or are you acting stupid on purpose ? ... So again.. stop saying it is not working while trolling and not settings things up properly.Grabiller, you seem to have the capacity to state your point. Adding personal insults does nothing to embellish your remarks, and you're the only one doing do in this particular conversation. Kindly refrain.

ianr
01-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Steve........ write a CHILL NODE for future insertions .lol.

Cobalt
01-10-2018, 10:38 AM
I have downloaded the LSR Lightwave 2018 training videos and on first glance it appears to be a wealth of information well worth the price of admission. For those of you who cant shell out the extra bucks right now, at least check out the LSR "Foundation" videos on RebelHill's YouTube channel. He's got a lot of good info that I wish I had learned years ago and its there for free.

wingzeta
01-12-2018, 04:28 PM
Are these available to the general public yet? I mean the full 2018 course. Don't see anything on the Rebel Hill site. Interested to see how much they cost.

m.d.
01-13-2018, 04:39 PM
Bought all RH products....no email yet?
I emailed with no response.

Oedo 808
01-13-2018, 04:46 PM
Bought all RH products....no email yet?

Same (I think), I'll have to send off an email myself.

Greenlaw
01-13-2018, 04:46 PM
It took a day or two before I got my email.

Also, he's still recording new videos for the EB set so he may not always be available.

Greenlaw
01-13-2018, 04:55 PM
You said in the email that they come segmented. I am on windows 10 and I think it did it automatically when I extracted with 7 zip but I am not sure. How can I tell?

How many videos are in each one or how many should I see? I also don't see any content like lightwave files so does that mean it did not work? Thanks

Assuming all the .zip files are in the same directory, unpacking the first .zip file should automatically expand the entire archive. Otherwise, I think you should see an error.

Anyway, I got 15 videos in the first EB set. He also threw in the 13 Foundations videos from his YouTube channel, so a total of 28 so far...and he's recording more.

I didn't see any content but maybe that's coming later?

Still watching the videos. They're pretty good.

Airwaves
01-15-2018, 04:40 PM
I did not see content either. Just the videos which is totally fine, just wanted to make sure what I did worked properly.

RebelHill
01-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Busy busy here for sure. So... just as a catchup, everyone who has ordered so far should have received their links by now. If not, let me know. Same goes for those who for whatever reason didnt get the email offer, all those should be caught up with for those who've let me know.

Are these available to the general public yet?

Not yet, nope.

I did not see content either. Just the videos which is totally fine, just wanted to make sure what I did worked properly.

There's none atm, though honestly, the only content that would go with the videos released so far is that for the BB droid project, which you should be able to find in the LW 2018 content itself.

Cheers all.

KSTAR
01-18-2018, 01:32 PM
RH I purchased the original training series through Liberty 3D am I eligible for the early bird special? If I need to email you to get on the list what email do I use to contact you?

RebelHill
01-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Just use the contact on my site and send me your details, etc.

Cheers.

KSTAR
01-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Thanks! just emailed you the info

medzo
03-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Hi Rebelhill

When can we expect your video tutorials to be released?

Best regards
Matej

medzo
03-07-2018, 10:04 AM
double post

Diepgroen
03-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Just the boost I needed. Binged the RH Foundation and RH Shading and Rendering. The most important thing i wanted to learn, RH covered: Rendering optimization and how you should apply proper sampling techniques. The right way!

Color spaces video clarified everything for me.
I now know how to watch my surface settings, environment, and how to apply sensible and balanced-out AA and other sampling settings, and when and why to apply GI.

After a few optimizations I noticed immediate gains in render speeds.

RH, you did a clear and to the point video series of what you actually need to know about LW2018.

If you really want to level up and actually know what you're doing, RHSR did it for me.

rdolishny
03-07-2018, 02:30 PM
I just logged in to say.... after watching the first six videos I'M SO GLAD I UPGRADED TO LW2018!!!!

I can only imagine there will be some comments on the other 3D app boards about the stunning new renders, evidenced in part by these videos.

THANK YOU!!!

Ma3rk
04-10-2018, 12:29 AM
I got my copy of the RH_LSR videos only a few days ago and have already had quite a few ah-HA moments. I'm still a few chapters away before the BB_Droid series but had a couple questions.

First, there's a brief mention of working with IES lights in 06_Intensity_and_Luminosity and in your vid it shows having the Visible to Camera option on. In LW 2018.3, it shows as a grayed out option with an ies selected, although I can still click a black check mark. Is that a change or have I stummbled onto a bug or is there some setting I've missed in another panel?

A couple of the vids mention some content but there wasn't any in the zip files. Not a major problem really, (already had the BB-Droid from Video Copilot) but just don't like missing out on anything I should have received.

JohnMarchant
04-10-2018, 04:53 AM
Anyone got a link for buying these videos, thanks

medzo
04-10-2018, 05:46 AM
+1 :)

raymondtrace
04-10-2018, 07:27 AM
Anyone got a link for buying these videos, thanks

Are you referring to the instructions shown in the very first post of this topic?

Ma3rk
04-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Are you referring to the instructions shown in the very first post of this topic?

Ummm, that's only for the older Nodal tutorial series. The newer one is called RH_LSR (Lighting, Shading, Rendering) and I guess RH hasn't released to the general population just yet it seems. Not listed on his web site anyway. You can watch a lot of it on the youtube link though.

The "Early Bird" special was done via e-mail to past customers as mentioned, but that bird's getting a bit "long in the beak". With renewed activity on this thread though, perhaps that will spur him along.

JohnMarchant
04-10-2018, 12:55 PM

No that's the free YT ones, i as after the ones Craig did for sale. The link is to his RHN nodal training which i have.

Greenlaw
04-10-2018, 02:47 PM
I don't think he's officially released them to the general public yet.

The current 'preview' version of the course is sold only to previous RH customers. I believe he's still recording new videos but what's there now is already well worth purchasing. Most previous customers automatically got an email offer, but I had to request mine, so you might want to shoot him an email.

JohnMarchant
04-10-2018, 04:47 PM
Yeah Greenlaw, i will send Craig an email as i did not get one from him.

raymondtrace
04-10-2018, 05:49 PM
No that's the free YT ones, i as after the ones Craig did for sale. The link is to his RHN nodal training which i have.

I was not referring to any link. I was pointing you to RH's instruction to contact him...as he stated in the first post. Use this forum's direct messaging or email him.

paulk
04-14-2018, 06:06 AM
I emailed RH, telling him I had bought all his stuff in a bundle sale on Liberty 3D, and wanted in on the early bird special for current customers. He replied to my email, but no link to click on and give him money.

So, how do I get the "preview" version of the course, should I get it, or should I wait for the "official" release?

Mistah Kahtter, I'm so confused!!!

Qexit
04-14-2018, 08:09 AM
I emailed RH, telling him I had bought all his stuff in a bundle sale on Liberty 3D, and wanted in on the early bird special for current customers. He replied to my email, but no link to click on and give him money.

So, how do I get the "preview" version of the course, should I get it, or should I wait for the "official" release?

Mistah Kahtter, I'm so confused!!!Are you sure there isn't a link in the email ? The message I got had a text string starting 'https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin' which you have to copy and past into a web bowser rather than just click on a link in the email. Just a thought.

paulk
04-16-2018, 01:52 PM
I checked. All the email had was

Got it!

-Ryan Roye

I had emailed him at the address in his email when I had questions about installing his rigging tools I had bought in a Liberty 3D bundle special. I also tried emailing him at the contact address on his website, but so far, bupkis.

Why can't I give him my money!?!?!?:stumped:

Ma3rk
04-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Why can't I give him my money!?!?!?:stumped:

Well obviously, he's so filthy rich by now that money no longer has any meaning.

Either that or he's just so swamped time-wise & hasn't figured out how to instance himself in the real world.

Ya, it took me sending a couple of messages and a week+ of waiting for him to get back so I guess just be patient.

I've been waiting for him to surface here though as I'm on the BB-Droid section of the training & have some questions that I think only he can answer. I'll post a separate message a bit later in any case.

adrian
04-18-2018, 04:12 AM
I also sent him a message last week but have got no reply as yet, guess he must be really busy. I'm sure the course will be worth the wait.

Julez4001
04-21-2018, 10:43 AM
I reached out to hima nd didn't et a reply.

paulk
04-21-2018, 11:26 AM
So, is RH not responding because he is working diligently 24/7 on producing the best Lightwave 2018 training video series possible, or has he succumbed to NewTek Syndrome?:D

Which is based in reality and which is paranoid conspiratorial delusions based on nothing but randomly misfiring synapses?

Jeez, Liberty 3D just annoounced Adam Gibson's 2nd Lightwave 2018 training video!

jeric_synergy
04-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Jeez, Liberty 3D just annoounced Adam Gibson's 2nd Lightwave 2018 training video!
Not to bust Kelly's rice bowl, but after buying an AG tute series, I wouldn't waste any money on another.

If you're going to buy anything, get RR's or RH's offerings, or any other fine L3D instructor.

Diepgroen
04-21-2018, 08:24 PM
It takes a while before he responds. But he does reply eventually. Could take up to 4 days in my experience. That's just how he does it.

Ma3rk
04-27-2018, 02:25 PM
Something where everyone can play!

It's not giving anything away in mentioning that a couple of the public videos are teasers for what RH's series mainly deals with, namely lighting & surfacing. He even shows where the asset & textures for the main project are, readily available free from Video CoPilot. But the actually rigging of the character in LW itself isn't. It's also one of those spots where Mr. Hill has chosen to do a “and then magic happens” 'cuz this series is about lighting & surfacing! I'm also kinda hoping it'll be one of those supplementary updates to the final product we're all rumoring he's feverishly working on.

Anyway, thought that would be pretty simple to whang together (Come on, it's two spheres!), but turns out to be a bit more complex when on a curved path. I might need to fiddle around with Relativity again to relearn it, but sure there are a number cleaver ways out there for correctly rolling a sphere anywhere along a plane.

Part of the problem for me is finding readily available reference clips (found some really hideous attempts) where BB isn't just going in a straight line. That I've got and for RH's tutorial that's really all that's needed. But wouldn't it be nice to have that extra control if you've gone to all the other effort to surface the character?

I suppose some who are diligent might as well just go ahead and noodle all that out while waiting. You're going to want to anyway right, and be that much farther along when RH finally does deem it time to pull back the curtains? And if all that just happens to get discussed or exampled here in the forum ...

Let me know what ya come up with. I get to go buy new puppy toys now.

Spinland
04-27-2018, 02:28 PM
Not to bust Kelly's rice bowl, but after buying an AG tute series, I wouldn't waste any money on another.

If you're going to buy anything, get RR's or RH's offerings, or any other fine L3D instructor.

I try to avoid negative waves, but yeah. AG is probably one of the nicest guys I'd ever meet but I cannot sit through any of his videos. The few I obtained before I removed him from my Xmas card list I've heavily edited to remove the roughly 60% of chaff from what wheat he provides.

paulk
05-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Still no email from Ryan. Has anyone heard anything?

tburbage
05-19-2018, 11:23 AM
So, is RH not responding because he is working diligently 24/7 on producing the best Lightwave 2018 training video series possible, or has he succumbed to NewTek Syndrome?:D

Which is based in reality and which is paranoid conspiratorial delusions based on nothing but randomly misfiring synapses?

I also emailed him, back on 05/06, looking for info on how to get the training. No response. Craig, if you read this thread, perhaps a single response to the thread would be good? (i.e. I don't need a response to my email, just want to get the training materials when available, and saw no direct info on your site). Hope he's not in the hospital or something...

Ryan Roye
05-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Still no email from Ryan. Has anyone heard anything?

You never stated what you needed.

I'm currently doing some work for Universal Studios, I can't say much more than that. If you need something, i'll do what I can but no promises.

erikals
05-19-2018, 12:36 PM
bought RHA a few days ago, no download link yet,
will wait a few more days before i email.

he is probably a bit busy.

Morbius
05-19-2018, 04:37 PM
bought RHA a few days ago, no download link yet,
will wait a few more days before i email.

he is probably a bit busy.

Yup, same here. I hope everything is okay. Seems he's been unreachable for a while now according to this thread.

paulk
05-19-2018, 04:40 PM
You never stated what you needed.

I'm currently doing some work for Universal Studios, I can't say much more than that. If you need something, i'll do what I can but no promises.

Hi, Ryan.

As I understand it, people who had purchased tools and/or training materials directly from you had received an email containing a link that allowed them to sign up/prepay for an early bird special on your LW 2018 training videos. Since I had purchased your stuff in a super-deluxe package deal from Liberty 3D, I sent you my email address and explanation, hoping you would respond with the aforementioned link.

Working on something for Universal Studios is, of course, a perfectly valid reason for delay, but now I have more things to anticipate!

djlithium
05-19-2018, 05:18 PM
Whht's your hassle there Jeric?
Just because after 20+ years of using this product or whatever it is you still can't get your head wrapped around stuff doesn't mean you have to dump all over someone else.

djlithium
05-19-2018, 05:22 PM

I'm working on my second 2018 specific title now which is a new Practical Production Technqiues installment. I released "Fusion for LightWave3D Artists (2018)" Vol 6 earlier this week.
Our sale is on right now, so by all means have at it. Use the code: L3D8YEARSSTRONG and get the customary 25% off.

erikals
05-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Yup, same here. I hope everything is okay. Seems he's been unreachable for a while now according to this thread.

edit: just received the download links this very second   :king:

for those wondering what RHA is...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145101-RH-Animation-Tutorials-Released
http://rebelhill.net/html/rha.html

jeric_synergy
05-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Just because after 20+ years of using this product or whatever it is you still can't get your head wrapped around stuff doesn't mean you have to dump all over someone else.

It's that Adam Gibson is a crap instructor.

Here's my post:

And it's not like I'm the only one that thinks so. In your stable of instructors, he's the weakest. And in point of fact, it wasn't LW, it was 3dC.

So, waving off fellow users.

chikega
05-19-2018, 11:40 PM
Looking forward to your tutorials on LW 2018 Craig ... thank you for making them. :D

wingzeta
05-20-2018, 12:26 AM
edit: just received the download links this very second   :king:

for those wondering what RHA is...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145101-RH-Animation-Tutorials-Released
http://rebelhill.net/html/rha.html

I've been wanting to get RHA for a while. I was waiting for the 2018 rendering series to be completed, thinking I would get both if the rendering series wasn't too expensive. I thought it would be done by now. I know RH is very thorough, and that takes time, but I am hoping to hear something soon. You know us Lightwave people are a little traumatized by anyone "going dark".

erikals
05-20-2018, 04:42 AM
you should buy RHiggit, when doing that you'll get RHA at a discount

i already learned a lot from RHA, and i've only watched 1/4th

You know us Lightwave people are a little traumatized by anyone "going dark
drama & trauma is the way of the LightWavers   :)

wesleycorgi
05-20-2018, 04:52 AM
Hi, Ryan.

As I understand it, people who had purchased tools and/or training materials directly from you had received an email containing a link that allowed them to sign up/prepay for an early bird special on your LW 2018 training videos. Since I had purchased your stuff in a super-deluxe package deal from Liberty 3D, I sent you my email address and explanation, hoping you would respond with the aforementioned link.

Working on something for Universal Studios is, of course, a perfectly valid reason for delay, but now I have more things to anticipate!
I think you are confusing Ryan Roye with Craig “Rebel Hill” with his LW 2018 presale tutorial special for current customers

SBowie
05-20-2018, 08:40 AM
OK, timeout for a little 'teachable moment'. Listen up, peeps ...

We have a forum policy on posting about third party products. Specifically, it states in part "If you have any problematical issues as a consumer or would-be consumer of those third party products, follow up directly with the vendor on their support venue or by private channels."

We also have policies on civility, and offensive personal remarks. Several of the posts in this thread have crossed the lines, if only just. In the interest of ending this, and an arguably Quixotic attempt to bring enlightenment to humanity, I will now provide a post mortem (and I use the term post mortem advisedly, because this topic is now deceased, and I will most assuredly drive a stake through the heart of any attempt to resurrect it).

This began innocently enough, as follows.

So, is RH not responding because he is working diligently 24/7 on producing the best Lightwave 2018 training video series possible, or has he succumbed to NewTek Syndrome?:D ... (snip) Jeez, Liberty 3D just annoounced Adam Gibson's 2nd Lightwave 2018 training video!

A few people have noted RebelHills recent absence, and (given his countless contributions to the realm) are wondering what it represents. No harm, no foul. The accompanying reference to Liberty3D and Adam Gibson's work is innocent enough, simply offered as a milestone against which to compare the elapsed period of time.

This moves a little closer to a line. There was no real need to mention Kat in this context ("rice bowl"? What's that about? Never mind, don't answer), but it's my assumption that it's meant to suggest that - in jeric's view, Adam's work is not as good as some of the other content on Liberty3D.

So, was a line crossed? Well, it probably is a technical foul. Having said that, I don't like to be unreasonable. Businesses (including NewTek, btw), and individual artists do well to listen to their customers. It would be difficult to justify moderating someone simply for a negative review. If someone wants to tell fellow members "I feel like others should know, I bought product X but didn't find it to be a good value. It fell short in these specific ways", we would not ordinarily moderate the post - provided the member showed civility, avoided personal attacks, and didn't drone on endlessly about his complaints (in the latter case, the policy statement I quoted at the outset would be applied).

So - moderation? Not in this case. I allowed the post to stand. Had it become a gang pile-on, or particularly rude, I'd have ended it (as, in fact, I am now doing).

... AG is probably one of the nicest guys I'd ever meet but I cannot sit through any of his videos. The few I obtained before I removed him from my Xmas card list I've heavily edited to remove the roughly 60% of chaff from what wheat he provides.Since I know from previous threads over the years that a few feel this way, I rather expected a little follow on. As it's expressed with a reasonable amount of tact, I let it slide. Again, a little honest criticism delivered with civility can help everyone.

Just because after 20+ years of using this product or whatever it is you still can't get your head wrapped around stuff doesn't mean you have to dump all over someone else.Here, now, we cross the line (as an aside, not the 'third party' rule, but the 'civility' one).

Whether one agrees with the assessment offered re: the quality of the tutorials or not, by basing the objection on the merit of Jeric's own work and skills (with an inherent negative connotation) we are now into 'personal attack' territory. From a practical standpoint, this just pours gasoline on the spark, and pretty much guarantees that the discussion will degrade from here on out.

It's that Adam Gibson is a crap instructor... (snip) In your stable of instructors, he's the weakest. And in point of fact, it wasn't LW, it was 3dC.

So, waving off fellow users.And, we're off ... this is no longer a polite review, it has crossed into a personal attack. That's what you get with 'tit for tat'. :(

So here's the deal. This part of the discussion is over. Period. Here's the 'teachable moment' part: in similar situations, if you feel a post is offensive, or in violation of forum policy for any reason, please just report the post with a brief explanation. The matter will be reviewed, and handled. In many cases, these things can be defused without heavy-handedness.

In the so-called 'Old West', in places like Dodge City and Tombstone you had to check your firearms with the sheriff on entering town. Contrary to the popular mythology, this largely prevented shootouts and blood in the streets. The famed 'Gunfight at the OK Corral' came about directly as an enforcement action of just such a municipal bylaw. This ended badly for those who were not 'peace officers'. It's the same here. Feel free to express or stick up for your viewpoint on appropriate topics for the forum, but if someone disagrees in a way that you feel oversteps civility, just report it and stand back.

As the song says, "Don't take your guns to town, boy ..." Thus endeth the lesson. (If those involved want to comment on what I have written, please do so by PM or your response will be nuked.)

paulk
05-20-2018, 10:20 AM
I think you are confusing Ryan Roye with Craig “Rebel Hill” with his LW 2018 presale tutorial special for current customers

How DARE Reality not conform to my delusions!?!?!?

Seriously, you are right. Still, no response from Rebel Hill, though.

RPSchmidt
06-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Has anyone heard from RH lately?

I was really looking forward to his full tutorial series.

I hope his absence is due to work or other similar commitments and not the result of personal issues (family, health, etc.)

wingzeta
06-11-2018, 02:18 PM

I hope his absence is due to work or other similar commitments and not the result of personal issues (family, health, etc.)

I emailed him last week and he responded, saying the training would be out very soon, within the next few weeks.

paulk
06-11-2018, 08:55 PM

I got an email with the PayPal link. I signed up for the EBS, and have downloaded the current set of LW 2018 training videos. RH says there is more to come. He is "tweaking" stuff because there is another LW "fix" version coming.

wingzeta
06-11-2018, 11:39 PM
I got an email with the PayPal link. I signed up for the EBS, and have downloaded the current set of LW 2018 training videos. RH says there is more to come. He is "tweaking" stuff because there is another LW "fix" version coming.

What was the early bird price for customers who own some of his other products?

paulk
06-12-2018, 11:49 AM
What was the early bird price for customers who own some of his other products?

I was charged £50, which converted at the time to $69.29.

Qexit
06-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Has anyone heard from Craig recently ? I have emailed him a couple of times since the 14th June with no reply so thought I'd check on here to see if anyone else has been able to contact him.

paulk
06-25-2018, 03:25 PM
Has anyone heard from Craig recently ? I have emailed him a couple of times since the 14th June with no reply so thought I'd check on here to see if anyone else has been able to contact him.

I heard from him, and got the links to download his training videos. I started going through the Foundation videos. Maybe it's my system, but the sound wavered between clear and sounding like it was recorded off a speakerphone.

Greenlaw
06-25-2018, 03:51 PM
I sent an email a while back just to say hey but didn't get a reply. I hoped he was just very busy on a job or something.

Glad to hear he's still busy working on the training material. What he's released so far as a 'preview' edition for previous customers is terrific. :D

Hopefully, we'll be hear from him in these forums soon.

Qexit
07-02-2018, 05:33 AM
Well, another week has passed and I have sent another email but have heard nothing from Craig at Rebelhill. The reason I have been trying to contact him is that on 14th June I was finally in a position to take up the Early Bird Special Offer he sent me an invite to a while back. I sent him a payment through Paypal and have heard nothing from him since. Over two weeks and three emails later, I have yet to hear from him which is a little worrying. If I was too late to take up the offer, fair enough but I would like to know if this is the case. Right now, he has some of my money and I do not have access to the tutorials beyond the free foundation videos on his public You Tube channel. So if anyone knows how to get in touch with Craig, please say something.

TheLexx
07-02-2018, 06:01 AM
RebelHill is an integral bloke and will only be silent for a valid reason, which I hope is nothing bad.

Just a thought if anyone else has any views on this - as a one-off, theoretically if Qexit PMs me a valid Paypal receipt confirming payment to RebelHill, I could maybe copy him over what I have, which are not the final versions which I understand Craig is still working on. Would that be legal (or right) ? I hope it wouldn't drop either of us in it, since the circumstances would only be to take the pressure off Craig and help a 'Waver out. :)

TheLexx
07-02-2018, 06:16 AM
I only just fully understood the post, and can now see a specific decision is needed by RebelHill to see if the Early Bird was still in effect. Sorry for confusing things.

art
07-02-2018, 06:43 AM
I'm kind of in the same boat at Qexit. I've decided to wait patiently... :)

Ma3rk
07-02-2018, 08:28 AM
I more or less went through the same routine when I made my order a couple months back. Made payment to Paypal fiirst using the info from the Early Bird mailing. Got the Paypal receipt then heard nothing for a few weeks. Sent a couple messages over the next few days to him and nada. Since I had a month or so to cancel & get refund through PayPal, I decided to just be patient. Then after several weeks, out of the Blue I get an apologetic reply and the d/l link info.

So, I don't know what to suggest to you folks. Seems that this has become his pattern currently so unless someone knows RH personally & can wander over to his place & lure him out with a pint of ale and find out what's going on, it's going to be a waiting game it seems.

And as I've mentioned, the lions share of the series is already on his tube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY3KKKP3p5I&list=PLTds3QePYrWFKQSaSWGMnKF7-4W84I5Tz

Don't try to binge watch; there are a lot of tedious sections, but then there'll be some uHH!! moments that you should rewatch & take notes on specifically with using LW2018 & the new surfacing & lighting, hence the name of the series.

You of course don't have the specifics on the surfacing of the BB-8 droid that are in the purchased package. What I received didn't have any scene assests or objects. The model itself is freely, readily available but there are some things one needs to know working with the texture files that he goes into. He also Deus Ex Machina-ed the actual rigging of the droid for movement (there's literally a less than 2 second shot of his spreadsheet heirarchy), and I'm hoping he goes into what he did for that with any supplementary updates. I went with a suggested technique using Bullet which works in the end, but is painfully slow to work with and has other limitations.

Greenlaw
07-02-2018, 09:19 AM
And as I've mentioned, the lions share of the series is already on his tube channel....

The Foundations series is...I think that's always been on YouTube. This set has 13 videos in the download edition.

The video series that is not on YouTube is the early-bird edition of Lighting, Shading, and Rendering Set 1, which is really what you're paying for. This series is less about general concepts more specifically about using LightWave 2018. I'm not sure if he's expanded this series yet. The Set 1 I currently have is 12 additional videos + 3 BB8 example videos. (Not sure if more have been added since January.)

Excellent series so far, btw. Hopefully, the public release and more videos are on their way.

Ma3rk
07-03-2018, 12:07 AM
The Foundations series is...I think that's always been on YouTube. This set has 13 videos in the download edition.

The video series that is not on YouTube is the early-bird edition of Lighting, Shading, and Rendering Set 1, which is really what you're paying for. This series is less about general concepts more specifically about using LightWave 2018. I'm not sure if he's expanded this series yet. The Set 1 I currently have is 12 additional videos + 3 BB8 example videos. (Not sure if more have been added since January.)

Excellent series so far, btw. Hopefully, the public release and more videos are on their way.

How'd you tackle BB8's rigging?

Qexit
07-04-2018, 11:02 AM
Got an email from Craig a short time ago with links to download the initial videos and one project, so all is well.

TheLexx
07-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Great stuff. I'm sure he's cooking something good. ;)

Ma3rk
07-04-2018, 12:15 PM
See? Someone went & put a pint of ale out on the curb & he finally had to come up for air.

art
07-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Got an email from Craig a short time ago with links to download the initial videos and one project, so all is well.

I'm still waiting...:caffeine:

jwiede
07-10-2018, 12:44 PM
I'm still waiting...:caffeine:

How long has it been?

art
07-10-2018, 12:58 PM
How long has it been?

I got an email from him with a link to the early bird page on June 6th and made payment on the 12th, so about a month.

art
08-06-2018, 06:38 AM
...or 2 months. Did anyone else hear from RH? I emailed him about a week ago. I still have not heard anything back.

The Dommo
08-06-2018, 07:15 AM
Hmm, sounds like Craig really needs a better way to deliver training material.

Craig, if you read this, I can help you out with this massively. Give me a shout.

gar26lw
08-06-2018, 08:26 AM
...or 2 months. Did anyone else hear from RH? I emailed him about a week ago. I still have not heard anything back.

that sucks. not good no matter how busy someone is. I'd be pretty fo with that service

art
08-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Well, I did not want to turn my post into complaint about the quality of service from RH. it's been indicated several times on this forum that is it usually one of the best. There is a probably a valid reason for the delay, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything.

acharris
08-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Just wondering does anyone know if RH will post the latest training on his website or on Liberty3D?

tburbage
08-28-2018, 08:33 PM
Just wondering does anyone know if RH will post the latest training on his website or on Liberty3D?

I don't think anybody knows anything at this point.

I've just emailed Craig asking him to please either reply to me with a real status update, or to this thread (passed along a link).
This is reminding me too much of the dreadful LW3DG silence of last year.
Art, I think it is time we did start complaining about the lack of information or responsiveness. I've been 2 months now past paying with nothing to show for it. All it would take is one information update to this thread to let us know where things stand.

paulk
08-29-2018, 12:12 PM
I don't think anybody knows anything at this point.

I've just emailed Craig asking him to please either reply to me with a real status update, or to this thread (passed along a link).
This is reminding me too much of the dreadful LW3DG silence of last year.
Art, I think it is time we did start complaining about the lack of information or responsiveness. I've been 2 months now past paying with nothing to show for it. All it would take is one information update to this thread to let us know where things stand.

I agree. I also bought the early-bird special, expecting something awesome down the road.

Stipulated, there can be any number of valid reasons -- medical (God forbid!!), priority projects ("Sorry, folks, but I've been doing the SFX in LW2018 for 'Justice League Vs Avengers' by myself, and they're all due by October 2018!"), NDA ("NewTek is promising a monster overhaul of LW2018, fixing everybody's bitchlist, and I'm holding off until I get a stable release"), or just Life, which is what happens while you're busy making other plans. Just tell us SOMETHING!

Meanwhile, Adam Gibson keeps releasing HIS LW2018 training videos. Are you gonna let him get away with that, Craig?

Ma3rk
08-29-2018, 02:20 PM
I agree. I also bought the early-bird special, expecting something awesome down the road.

Stipulated, there can be any number of valid reasons -- medical (God forbid!!), priority projects ("Sorry, folks, but I've been doing the SFX in LW2018 for 'Justice League Vs Avengers' by myself, and they're all due by October 2018!"), NDA ("NewTek is promising a monster overhaul of LW2018, fixing everybody's bitchlist, and I'm holding off until I get a stable release"), or just Life, which is what happens while you're busy making other plans. Just tell us SOMETHING!

Meanwhile, Adam Gibson keeps releasing HIS LW2018 training videos. Are you gonna let him get away with that, Craig?

This has been going on for some time now though, so the list of "good" reasons rapidly diminishes.

Where else does he frequent? Has he appeared there recently? Does he do Facebook for example?

Since there are Wavers in GB, I'd think they'd have a better chance of maybe doing some more than casual inquiries if none of the above doesn't pan out.

Just my 2¢.

rcallicotte
08-31-2018, 10:19 AM
An update would be handy, especially from anyone who keeps in touch with him. I hope he himself is okay.

jaf
09-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Wanted to bump this thread. I also emailed Chris and got no response.

tburbage
09-29-2018, 11:58 AM
I've just sent Craig a final email request for either product or real status info, and will reluctantly be working through PayPal or my credit card to seek a refund if that is not forthcoming.
I'm still hoping he surfaces because I thought his RHA, RHR, and RHN series were well structured, well thought out, and thorough. As mentioned in a previous post, my suggestion was for a simple status update post to this thread which could "clear the air".

Steve B, you might want to move this thread to 3rd Party. The topic is a "LW user community" thing, but definitely not a NewTek thing...

acharris
10-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Maybe the delay is because he is redesigning his website?
http://www.rebelhill.com

That would certainly hold things up

jwiede
10-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Maybe the delay is because he is redesigning his website?
http://www.rebelhill.com

Pretty sure his website is http://www.rebelhill.net, not http://www.rebelhill.com.

erikals
10-13-2018, 05:47 AM
www.rebelhill.com
belongs to someone else.

---------------------------------------------

perhaps send him a snail mail,

or like you say, check with PayPal.

sorry it worked out like that, a bit of a shame really.

acharris
10-14-2018, 03:22 PM
Oops. Sorry about that. Guess its something else.

He really does need to update his site though

Chris S. (Fez)
10-15-2018, 07:54 AM
IFW. Dpont. Now RebelHill. Looks more and more like these guys are gone for good.

TheLexx
10-15-2018, 08:25 AM
IFW. Dpont. Now RebelHill. Looks more and more like these guys are gone for good.
Craig pretty much had his stuff ready and could have easily walked away clean. I strongly suspect he is unable to respond, but I have no idea what could be wrong.

gdkeast
10-23-2018, 07:56 PM
I have found these tutorials to be excellent and very in-depth. I like how he explains the math and what is going on under the hood.

toeknee
10-24-2018, 10:41 PM
I baught just about everything he ever sold. I really hope he is OK. I mean this is strange that he has gone silent. He is without a doubt the sharpest of the LW community that I have seen. I really with if he is OK that he would let use know what is going on.

gdkeast
10-25-2018, 03:38 AM
Outside of his videos, I have also enjoyed Adam Gibson's first three volumes on LW 2018 at Liberty 3D. I actually have a DVD on learning LightWave 09 from Elephorm by Oliver Michon and narrated by Ben Vost, and even though it is old, it is very well laid out and does a nice job of going through most of the basic functions, outside of the new rendering engine changes and all that. But it amazes me how accurate many of the older materials still are. Essential Lightwave v9, the book, is also awesome, especially if you can find one with the CD-ROM in it.

jwiede
10-25-2018, 02:18 PM
Outside of his videos, I have also enjoyed Adam Gibson's first three volumes on LW 2018 at Liberty 3D. I actually have a DVD on learning LightWave 09 from Elephorm by Oliver Michon and narrated by Ben Vost, and even though it is old, it is very well laid out and does a nice job of going through most of the basic functions, outside of the new rendering engine changes and all that. But it amazes me how accurate many of the older materials still are. Essential Lightwave v9, the book, is also awesome, especially if you can find one with the CD-ROM in it.

With all due respect, since there are a number of folks awaiting some kind of status w.r.t. the RebelHill training in this thread, probably best to move discussion of other good training to another thread (there are already several covering just that topic).

erikals
10-25-2018, 02:34 PM
yes, agree. i appreciate the info, but should be moved to another thread.

pixelinfected
11-05-2018, 05:10 PM
i'm fear that he's injuried in some way, he's disappears from everywhere, from its website to youtube, lw forum and more. i hope he is in a heavely island with a winner lottery ticket in the hand, but... from a small searching around the net i not found any good info to hope good for him.

fishhead
11-06-2018, 07:57 AM
Is anyone on this forums also living on Jersey? And maybe might be willing to check if there is anything serious going on? I believe that is where he resides...

Chuck
11-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Don't know much more at this time, but Craig is OK, just has been very preoccupied away from the 3D side.

Kryslin
11-06-2018, 10:37 AM
Thanks, Chuck.

erikals
11-06-2018, 04:20 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ofYfH0x.png

acharris
11-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the update

Ma3rk
11-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Don't know much more at this time, but Craig is OK, just has been very preoccupied away from the 3D side.

Thanks for that update Chuck.

allabulle
11-06-2018, 11:47 PM
Good to know, thanks Chuck.

chikega
11-24-2018, 10:56 PM
Good to know, thanks for the info Chuck. I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving in the U.S. :)

tburbage
11-28-2018, 02:57 PM
A couple of other forum members ping'ed me via private message about this situation. I had earlier hinted that I was considering refund action via Paypal or credit card if my direct inquiries went unanswered.

Well, they did go unanswered, I still have received nothing in return for my payment. But... although I certainly don't know Craig personally, what we've experienced over the last 6 months or so doesn't line up with my impression of him based on past purchase transactions, and not the thoughtful and complete nature of the training materials he has provided. So... I have not taken any action. Just didn't "feel right".

However, now that we know Craig is not at death's door or incapacitated, I am again wondering when he will connect back into the community and make good on his commitments. I just want to get the "Beta" state of the training I paid for back in June, and I imagine those who received that would like to get some status on when the "Final" version of the material will be available.

gdkeast
11-30-2018, 12:15 AM
Please do keep posting your tutorials. They are completely awesome!

RebelHill
11-30-2018, 10:26 AM
Well sorry all for the long absence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeaicrJLBH4&t=1m17s

I did a rage quit on the forum-ing after some of the arguments regarding details of using the new stuff (enhanced by being near the lone voice). It's amazing how quickly you fall out of habits online when ur away for a couple weeks. But this was followed by getting dragged aside by a whole raft of work, including a whole bunch of new stuff not related to 3D at all, taking up much time and effort.

Anyhow... here I am, and as for the training here mentioned... it's coming sometime this weekend!

acharris
11-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Welcome back!

Looking forward to getting the full tutorial series!

art
11-30-2018, 10:49 AM
Great news!

RPSchmidt
11-30-2018, 11:04 AM
Really glad to hear it... have been stalking this thread and pouncing on it every time a post went up. I've learned a lot more about 2018 since its release, but I was really looking forward to your full tutorial series.

Sorry that you felt you had to rage quit the forums. They are a bit more placid these days... tranquil even ;)

art
11-30-2018, 11:15 AM
They are a bit more placid these days... tranquil even ;)
Yes, and unlike in the old days, now I have to drink some chamomile tea after reading the forum to get some extra excitement. ;) Fridays are usually the worst, but not today :)

SBowie
11-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Well sorry all for the long absence...I think the community is just relieved that some mischance hadn't befallen you. :)

fishhead
11-30-2018, 12:22 PM
Glad that you are back, Craig! Hope you decide to stay! Really looking forward to the trainings! :-)

TheLexx
11-30-2018, 01:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXUXI19XDno#t=40s

Chuck
11-30-2018, 01:58 PM
Glad you are back, Craig, and I will get with you about a blog article on your new training videos! :)

RebelHill
11-30-2018, 02:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXUXI19XDno#t=40s

Yeaaah... in my own imagination, it's much more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUGrtmjQfY&t=50s

Qexit
11-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Very pleased and relieved to know that all is well with you Craig. I'm certainly looking forward to working through the full course in the not too distant future :)

Greenlaw
11-30-2018, 02:54 PM
Hey Craig,

Welcome back! Relieved to hear you're okay and glad that the training project is still on.

Ma3rk
11-30-2018, 04:20 PM
That's all excellent news RH. Be nice to finally get some feedback & add'l views from others on the series.

JohnMarchant
11-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Look forward to it Craig and glad your still around.

wingzeta
11-30-2018, 10:51 PM
Welcome back. Glad your demise was greatly exaggerated. Lasermasters will always be needed.

pixelinfected
12-01-2018, 06:06 AM
I'm very happy that Craig is well, i was very worried for his health.
great news :-D

RebelHill
12-01-2018, 08:00 AM
No, no need to worry for I.

In the meantime, whilst the full set is coming soon, the completed projects section is now up... those who preordered can grab it now if they like. Just use the link you had for the early bird download, but replacing filename as follows...

.../RHLSR/LSR_Projects.zip

same user/pass you already have.

Cheers.

Qexit
12-01-2018, 08:28 AM
No, no need to worry for I.

In the meantime, whilst the full set is coming soon, the completed projects section is now up... those who preordered can grab it now if they like. Just use the link you had for the early bird download, but replacing filename as follows...

.../RHLSR/LSR_Projects.zip

same user/pass you already have.

Cheers.Many thanks Craig. I have downloaded and unpacked the files but wont be able to start looking through them until tomorrow. Should there be any scene, object, etc. files included as the unzipped directory only contains six video files ?

Ma3rk
12-01-2018, 09:00 AM
The files I got early last April didn't have any content, just the .mov files. There are links though to d/l the main tutorial model (BB8) from Video CoPilot. Other examples are readily obtained with a bit of searching.

What I'm wanting to find out when a few others get to that point is how did he actually rig BB8. RH glossed over that as the series is about lighting & surfacing and the workflow with 2018 just made a whole lot of sense to me. But still. I'm sure his solution is much more elegant. I ended up using a Bullet solution as suggested months ago in another thread.

RebelHill
12-01-2018, 09:25 AM
There shall be the content coming.

As for BB8... it was just a basic rotation linked to distance based on radius, yadda yadda, done in nodal. It's not really a proper rig, just something quick n crap that would serve for moving in pretty much a straight line for the scene in question that folk could load without any calculations, etc needed.

Using bullet is the better way to do it.

jwiede
12-01-2018, 03:21 PM
There shall be the content coming.

As for BB8... it was just a basic rotation linked to distance based on radius, yadda yadda, done in nodal. It's not really a proper rig, just something quick n crap that would serve for moving in pretty much a straight line for the scene in question that folk could load without any calculations, etc needed.

Using bullet is the better way to do it.

Craig, in the EB version received, you mentioned skipping over details on the GI stuff because you were waiting for Newtek to make patches. As Newtek's now said they're done making fixes to LW2018, when can we expect either the "second EB set" mentioned with GI details, or the "full final set" that includes GI covered in detail?

Thanks!

Greenlaw
12-01-2018, 03:25 PM
.. those who preordered can grab it now if they like. Just use the link you had for the early bird download....

Awesome! Thank you RH! Will download it ASAP.

JohnMarchant
12-01-2018, 04:49 PM
I hope we can all jump in soon Craig.

RebelHill
12-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Right-o... all up. I'll be sending out links to all early birders directly, but for those here who see it here first... just rewrite your existing EB links with the following filenames...

.../RHLSR/LSR_Foundations1.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Foundations2.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Tools1.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Tools2.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Tools3.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Tools4.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Projects1.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Projects2.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Content.zip

...using your username/pass as you already have.

For everyone else... I'll be putting up the sale page in the next couple hours, and shall start a new thread here to announce it... so keep your peepers peeled for that.

Till then, cheers all. Hope you enjoy the full set!

(apologies for the long wait)

RebelHill
12-02-2018, 09:50 AM
Ok... emailed. Early birds ought have their links emails now(ish). If anyone hasn't, is missing details, or whathaveyou... let me know.

Ma3rk
12-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Right-o... all up. I'll be sending out links to all early birders directly, but for those here who see it here first... just rewrite your existing EB links with the following filenames...

.../RHLSR/LSR_Foundations1.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Foundations2.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Tools1.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Tools2.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Tools3.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Tools4.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Projects1.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Projects2.zip
.../RHLSR/LSR_Content.zip

...using your username/pass as you already have.

For everyone else... I'll be putting up the sale page in the next couple hours, and shall start a new thread here to announce it... so keep your peepers peeled for that.

Till then, cheers all. Hope you enjoy the full set!

(apologies for the long wait)

Took me while to find that original eml but these links are working. Any new material in the Fountations zips requiring getting those again?

RebelHill
12-02-2018, 11:18 AM
Nope, nothing new in foundations (nor the projects for those who grabbed the link I posted above yesterday)... I just redid the zips for tidyness/size.

jwiede
12-02-2018, 12:43 PM
Ok... emailed. Early birds ought have their links emails now(ish). If anyone hasn't, is missing details, or whathaveyou... let me know.

Can you please clarify whether that includes the updated GI content, or whether that's still "in progress"?

RebelHill
12-02-2018, 12:56 PM
It does! (which I ended up redoing in 2018.0.7). As it turns out there weren't any major major changes from the initial release of 2018, but a few things in its workings, mainly the cache, so what you see in the video set is the most up to date info there is. Also, when you see some of the examples, and watch through the test renders I do in the tuts... you can imagine for yourself how long I spent doing tests ad trials to get the appropriate renders out.

jwiede
12-02-2018, 01:07 PM
It does! (which I ended up redoing in 2018.0.7). As it turns out there weren't any major major changes from the initial release of 2018, but a few things in its workings, mainly the cache, so what you see in the video set is the most up to date info there is. Also, when you see some of the examples, and watch through the test renders I do in the tuts... you can imagine for yourself how long I spent doing tests ad trials to get the appropriate renders out.

Cool, much appreciated! Thanks!

allabulle
12-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Nice!

Ma3rk
12-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Minor issue. With the Emily scene, it's missing two exr files. The Umbrella_A.exr (which for some reason I had) and the Synthetic_Ring_B.exr. Didn't have that one specifically; have a Synthetic_Ring_A so for now I'm sure that'll do.

Cobalt
12-02-2018, 05:28 PM
Downloading now! Look forward to digging through all this material. Thanks much.

Signal to Noise
12-02-2018, 07:39 PM
I take I missed the early bird deal. Nonetheless, after previewing the YT vids, I shall splurge on these tutorials asap when they are ready.

gdkeast
12-03-2018, 12:32 AM
I did get the Nodal Series at Liberty 3D and found it incredibly thorough and comprehensive. FWIW, Adam Gibson just released a Vol 4 (Surfacing) on LW 2018 and I'm looking forward to reviewing that one too.

RebelHill
12-03-2018, 01:59 AM
I take I missed the early bird deal. Nonetheless, after previewing the YT vids, I shall splurge on these tutorials asap when they are ready.

They are...

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?158647-Rendering-Tutorials-for-2018-RELEASED!

JohnMarchant
12-03-2018, 03:24 AM
Minor issue. With the Emily scene, it's missing two exr files. The Umbrella_A.exr (which for some reason I had) and the Synthetic_Ring_B.exr. Didn't have that one specifically; have a Synthetic_Ring_A so for now I'm sure that'll do.

They are all here.
http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive/

art
12-03-2018, 05:45 AM

Hello, I sent you a PM, I still have not received any emails/links.

jwiede
12-03-2018, 03:51 PM
They are all here.

(withdrawn)

RebelHill
12-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Its not that they're only allowed to be used with lightsmith... its that the preset setups only work with lightsmith, they're freely downloadable to all. Also, in the tut itself, when we pick those images, I show the go and download, as I recall when I recorded it, the idea was to let folk try their own light setups, and it was just an example of one option for standard studio setup.

edit; yep, vid 59, 21min(ish) mark

bobakabob
12-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Great to see you back as more than ever, character animation in Lightwave needs your vision. Looking forward to seeing new RebelHill developments.

jwiede
12-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Its not that they're only allowed to be used with lightsmith... its that the preset setups only work with lightsmith, they're freely downloadable to all. Also, in the tut itself, when we pick those images, I show the go and download, as I recall when I recorded it, the idea was to let folk try their own light setups, and it was just an example of one option for standard studio setup.

edit; yep, vid 59, 21min(ish) mark

Fair point w.r.t. the Lightsmith phrasing. I've withdrawn the comment. Still, "freely downloadable to all" still isn't the same as "freely (re)usable by all who download for any purpose", and that was my point.

Ma3rk
12-03-2018, 07:56 PM
They are all here.

Ah. Thanks. Knew they sounded familiar.