PDA

View Full Version : Using NOISE Filter in 2018

tcoursey
01-01-2018, 12:51 PM
I come from 11.6.3, not sure how much of this new interface and rendering UI is from 2018, I assume quite a bit. I spent a bit of time trying to figure out how to get the noise filter to begin working.

The main thing you MUST do it seems is go to BUFFERS and turn on NOISE FILTER ON for whatever buffer you want processed.

I kept pulling up the Noise filter dialog and it had a black screen that said you must render frame first. I did that 20 times, the dialog would go away once render was complete. I'd pull up the noise dialog and nothing there...very confusing.

I think the BLACK box inside the dialog should say TURN ON NOISE RED IN RENDER BUFFER and then RENDER FRAME. Or do it automatically since I pulled up the noise dialog. Bad UX so far.

Another note, I can't get a decent render that is noise free...but I will learn. Downloading Sample content and hopefully there will be some nice PRESETS for different levels of render qualities?!?

UnCommonGrafx
01-01-2018, 01:42 PM
One should assume no noise free renders.

GHo to the camera and play with min and max samples. I have an interior that sucks at 1/8 but is clean at 8/64.
Yup, longer render but I'm learning.
Robert

tcoursey
01-01-2018, 07:59 PM
Noise free or not...to have such a feature that is actually pretty hard to figure out in the beginning, not very user friendly in getting it engaged and turned on is all my point was. Yes I'm sure it's in the book, yes I'm sure it's easy enough once you know where to look. But the initial experience running into it needed one more line in the black box directions and all would be simple enough.

Hoping I was going to see some nice presets for render settings in the content download...nope. The more complex a system gets the more you really need to know what your doing, ask any VRay person :) So it would be wise for LW to come with some great setups for different qualities for newbies and others to learn from. I digres....lol.

COBRASoft
01-01-2018, 09:02 PM
if it would be that simple, all render engines would have these presets...

tcoursey
01-02-2018, 06:43 AM
if it would be that simple, all render engines would have these presets...

You mean like KRay does? You bet. Kray is just as hard to learn if not harder but they at least give you a preset pull down where you can see what is being changed for different setups.

Not a big deal just one of those small things...

But for me it's a huge miss to not tell the users straight away in your error/black message box that they need to go dig into three other menus to ever get any noise reduction anyway :) Who cares about the render settings...that is second to this issue IMO. I'm probably the only one that even cared to find the NR...lol.

erikals
01-02-2018, 10:26 PM
Another note, I can't get a decent render that is noise free...
check >
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Removing+Noise+workflow

additional notes >
Default Gi setting of 1 Ray is usually way too low, it will create noise, try using 5+ Rays
Default AA setting of 1 Minimum is usually way too low, it will create noise, try using 5+ for Minimum AA

once done, you can add Noise Reduction,
for stills, try these settings >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gjixZPiB4g

souzou
01-05-2018, 10:00 AM
I come from 11.6.3, not sure how much of this new interface and rendering UI is from 2018, I assume quite a bit. I spent a bit of time trying to figure out how to get the noise filter to begin working.

The main thing you MUST do it seems is go to BUFFERS and turn on NOISE FILTER ON for whatever buffer you want processed.

I kept pulling up the Noise filter dialog and it had a black screen that said you must render frame first. I did that 20 times, the dialog would go away once render was complete. I'd pull up the noise dialog and nothing there...very confusing.

I think the BLACK box inside the dialog should say TURN ON NOISE RED IN RENDER BUFFER and then RENDER FRAME. Or do it automatically since I pulled up the noise dialog. Bad UX so far.

Glad you posted this, had exactly the same issue. Should also be stated in the docs that you have to tick the Noise Filter box in a buffer first.

gar26lw
01-06-2018, 05:47 PM
ux is something that needs a good focus for lw 2018. i would encourage feedback to the devs vis the feedback agent, with explanation of what you found confusing as a new user/fresh pair of eyes on the system and what you would expect to see that made logical sense.

modo settings were always a pia, they added in some presets for fast, good, production, etc. on the top level of render settings as a quick and fast setup and also on individual render settings for local control. helps a lot.

DonJMyers
01-07-2018, 12:01 PM
I could not figure out how to get rid of noise in test renders but by changing the global illumination brute force rays to 3 from 1 they vanished!

This assumes you are using global illumination/radiosity.

kolby
01-16-2018, 05:15 AM
Hi guys, I'm playing with noise filter. With VPR enabled I'm going thru all render buffers. I mark for render all noisy buffers and tick noise filter for them. After rendering they are all visible in noise filter window and I can set radius and treshold for them and the noise is completely gone. But the final render is untouched. Could anyone explain me how to get that damned noise filter to work ?

DonJMyers
01-16-2018, 11:24 AM
I think you have to have noise filtering checked in the "render" tab and the "buffers" tab for the particular buffer you want to affect.

erikals
01-16-2018, 11:29 AM
yes,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gjixZPiB4g

kolby
01-16-2018, 11:14 PM
I think you have to have noise filtering checked in the "render" tab and the "buffers" tab for the particular buffer you want to affect.

Yes I have ticked both. As I wrote, ticked buffers are rendered, I see them in denoiser preview window and I could remove noise from them. But it doesn't affect Final Render. I thought that cleaned buffers are recomposed back to beauty pass.

Greenlaw
01-22-2018, 08:45 AM
Noise Filter works here for me. It's a subtle process that saves me some render time, but I still need to trace the actual source(s) of any noise and take care of it first. (Love the buffer views in VPR for that!) The Noise Filter is only meant to help keep the number of samples slightly below minimum to save a little time, and it can only do so much. If you don't clean up the majority of the noise first, NF just gives you blurry noise.

And find out where the noise is coming from and take care of it there. Don't just crank up the camera samples until it goes away...unless, of course, you really enjoy long render times. :)

I do agree that the message in the NF preview window may be too vague for new users. It should mention the Buffers option.

gar26lw
01-22-2018, 01:41 PM
https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/experiments-with-v-ray-next-using-the-nvidia-optix-denoiser

vole populii
02-13-2018, 12:38 PM
Old thread, but I found it while searching for a solution to my problem, which isn't explicitly addressed here, so will tag this coda on.

The docs and written references mention ticking the 'Noise Filtering' box in the 'Common' section of the Buffers tab in Render Options.

I had already put a check mark next to several buffers, but when I went back to the Buffers tab to make sure Noise Filtering was checked, there was no area 'Common' at the bottom of the panel. The docs showed the Common section, as did erikalst's much-appreciated video above. My panel looked like this:

Did a full uninstall-reinstall, updated drivers, etc. Finally submitted a bug report and got a reply in five minutes(!) - you have to click on the buffer line in the Buffers tab to see the options displayed below. Apparently I hadn't noticed the options open below when I put the check marks next to the buffers, and when you go back to the tab, the options don't show until you highlight the appropriate line again.

Just in case this saves someone else some frustration...