PDA

View Full Version : Love the new docs.lightwave3d.com! Great Job BeeVee & Co!

Triodin
01-01-2018, 10:46 AM
Have been poking around https://docs.lightwave3d.com/ all night and this morning and just wanted to say great job to BeeVee and the Lightwave / NewTek crew for moving to the new ehelp platform.

Especially excited because, having the pleasure of using Confluence for my day-gig, I know how easy it can be to update! Super stoked to see where it goes from here, especially with the quick examples. I used this one last night: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Example+-+Volumetric+Primitive+Emitter and there's loads of other great ones in there.

I'm glad we're all on the hunt for bugs and offering positive feedback for changes. Thanks for the great communication and setting the foundation for success!

BeeVee
01-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Yay! Pleased you like it. I have beaten my head against the wall several times with how stupid Confluence seems to me at times, but in the main I think it has turned out okay. It will be interesting to see how things turn out with more than one version on it...

B

Farhad_azer
01-01-2018, 03:43 PM
Woooow. I still have not had a through review on the documentation and i simply clicked one of the links on your post via my phone and it is fantastic on small phone screen.

Dear Beeve, i think you are going to recieve lots of complain coming from insomania community so until then accept my sincere thanks.

JamesCurtis
01-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Looked at the doc's and came across a minor error. The text mentions an image of the Cow and it's of the Alien Emissary. Don't recall the page ATM. Otherwise, so far it's looking excellent!

TheLexx
01-01-2018, 09:03 PM
Looked at the doc's and came across a minor error. The text mentions an image of the Cow and it's of the Alien Emissary. Don't recall the page ATM. Otherwise, so far it's looking excellent!

I saw that too, it's here.

Getting Started with Layout - LightWave’s Virtual World

ConjureBunny
01-01-2018, 09:27 PM
The docs are seriously top notch. Well done BV!

jeric_synergy
01-01-2018, 11:06 PM
I haven't upgraded yet, but linked thru to take a peek, and that is a wonderfully clean design. Well done! :thumbsup:

I hope more examples can easily be added to the online Help. A centralized, official place to find them is A Good Thing.

THIBAULT
01-01-2018, 11:12 PM
Perfect ! But i need printing all the manual and isn't possible !

jeric_synergy
01-02-2018, 12:31 AM
Perfect ! But i need printing all the manual and isn't possible !

Why? ---You're the second France resident longing for a PDF or printed manual, quest que faire la ba?

+++

Maybe LWG can put it on a thumbdrive for everybody at U$50.

Wireframex
01-02-2018, 01:15 AM
I'd like a PDF manual too :)

vncnt
01-02-2018, 02:03 AM
It takes 8 ... 12 seconds to load a new page and 1 ... 3 seconds to uncollapse a menu item.
This is not practical at all.

Also, the Reference feels incomplete.

BeeVee
01-02-2018, 02:22 AM
Thank you for your positive comments :) Please be sure to click on the bug report link at the bottom of the page if you spot something amiss. There are also user-contributed tutorials in the appendices, so feel free to contact me if you have a tutorial to add...

B

bazsa73
01-02-2018, 02:22 AM
I like this new documentation. Good job.

THIBAULT
01-02-2018, 02:54 AM
Thank you for your positive comments :) Please be sure to click on the bug report link at the bottom of the page if you spot something amiss. There are also user-contributed tutorials in the appendices, so feel free to contact me if you have a tutorial to add...

B

Hi Ben and thank, very good work ! Possibility to have this manual in PDF ? Thanks in advance

vncnt
01-02-2018, 04:06 AM

B
The manual looks nice.
But the interaction is extremely slow. It's not something to make jokes about when time=money.

Farhad_azer
01-02-2018, 04:56 AM
I have to agree with vncnt,

First i taught it is because of my connection speed but the pages load really much slower than anticipated.

I apologize for criticizing and i only mean to makes it even better or nearly perfect.

gclayton
01-02-2018, 07:31 AM
I have looked through some of the online docs and also notice the delay in displaying the particular page.

I was trying to view the tutorial videos on how to use the command port but you cannot expand the videos to full-screen and it's difficult to see the text being shown in the videos!

jeric_synergy
01-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Be sure to use the link at the bottom of every page to report bugs. Not so much here.

Ryan Roye
01-02-2018, 09:52 AM
I agree, a wiki format makes much more sense and better suits an evolving application. The search function works solidly as well; I had no problem looking up information on things.

prometheus
01-02-2018, 10:07 AM
Only had a few views in the docs, it´s extremely slow to load..and I just can´t tolerate waiting for them to load unfortunately, I hope this somehow can get better, otherwise..try and put it down in another format as well.
will check again, maybe it during certain periods becomes overloaded with traffic? especially right now after release?

raymondtrace
01-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Atlassian Confluence (the engine behind this documentation) can export PDF if the administrator enables it.

MichaelT
01-02-2018, 10:12 AM
I like the docs.. very good. But like I posted earlier.. I would like to have a local copy, as I'm not always able to use internet. I would care less if that version is out of date, too. But I don't know if that's possible. I do know that confluence can export to pdf however, which certainly is good enough for me at least. But like I said.. I don't know how you guys at LWG feels about it?

mattc
01-02-2018, 10:14 AM
I like the docs.. very good. But like I posted earlier.. I would like to have a local copy, as I'm not always able to use internet. I would care less if that version is out of date, too. But I don't know if that's possible. I do know that confluence can export to pdf however, which certainly is good enough for me at least. But like I said.. I don't know how you guys at LWG feels about it?

Confluence will export single pages as PDF. To export the entire space you need space privileges.

M.

MichaelT
01-02-2018, 10:22 AM
I think they have all the rights they need. I'm thinking they could do an export. Not give the right to us. I suspect that would be quite taxing on their server :)

THIBAULT
01-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Please ! PDF !

BeeVee
01-02-2018, 05:43 PM
I have looked through some of the online docs and also notice the delay in displaying the particular page.

I was trying to view the tutorial videos on how to use the command port but you cannot expand the videos to full-screen and it's difficult to see the text being shown in the videos!

You can always hit the YouTube button to watch the video on YouTube itself, or the fullscreen button at the bottom right of each video.

B

BeeVee
01-02-2018, 05:50 PM
I understand that several people on this thread would like a PDF version of the docs, but they aren't quite as simple or linear as the previous documentation. If I remember correctly, we did do an experiment with pdf output, but the result was not only pretty ugly, but also because the docs are not paginated like the previous manual was, there are pages of mainly wasted space or ones consisting of a picture and so on. The PDF from Confluence is not going to look like the 2015 docs where the look was not a secondary consideration. Furthermore, the animations I put for many things are designed to aid comprehension, and won't be included in a PDF version.

Just so you know...

B

MichaelT
01-02-2018, 07:47 PM
To be honest, I could live with that :) Something is better than nothing in a pinch.

Signal to Noise
01-02-2018, 08:35 PM
Another vote/request for a downloadable PDF version.

Also, as pointed out in another thread, the Docs do not function properly when opened on iPad (possibly all iOS-based Safari).

Asticles
01-02-2018, 10:13 PM
I prefer the online version, much more adequate for an evolving application.

If there's a pdf should be parsed automatically, without giving extra work to doc's maintainers. Something like LaTeX

Regards.

tburbage
01-02-2018, 10:15 PM
The problem with the .pdf manual was I think that it had just gotten too large, and had become slow and cumbersome to use. I *did* like being able to highlight and annotate it. I assume there's no way to do that with wiki.

BeeVee, I use Confluence at work for documentation, and mostly compose the content externally, then copy/paste in...

erikals
01-02-2018, 11:33 PM
pdf is nice, but i've worked with print, and getting/supporting both a pdf and online manual over time is a total drag.

there is always an "issue" with conversion, either today, or a few years ahead.

an online reference is good enough (imo)

Asticles
01-03-2018, 02:21 AM
Wow, noise reduction workflow is GREAT!

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Removing+Noise+workflow#RemovingNoiseworkflow-DiffuseIndirectNoiseDiffuseIndirectNoise

I would like to have more information about better fine-tuning camera's Minimum and Maximum samples, specially with architectural render.

Another pages specialized in other areas would be fine.

Regards.

vncnt
01-03-2018, 10:02 AM

B
An example of a topic that I could not find: the Hub (it doesn't start automatically when starting Modeler or Layout).
Tried chapters: Installation, Reference, Appendices. Also tried Search.
Maybe it's there but I can't find it.

BeeVee
01-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Vncnt, you're right. I don't find it either. Please fill a bug report for that one.

B
PS. Haven't tried it myself since I truly dislike Windows 10 and haven't used the Edge browser for more than downloading Firefox, but it does have a tool to annotate pages apparently. Anyone tried that?

MichaelT
01-03-2018, 10:34 AM
Vncnt, you're right. I don't find it either. Please fill a bug report for that one.

B
PS. Haven't tried it myself since I truly dislike Windows 10 and haven't used the Edge browser for more than downloading Firefox, but it does have a tool to annotate pages apparently. Anyone tried that?

I haven't tried it.. I use google chrome primarily myself. But apparently yes, it looks easy enough to use: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/56213/how-to-annotate-webpages-with-microsoft-edge

vncnt
01-03-2018, 11:19 AM

B

Ok, just sent a report.
I had to add a fake attachment before the Feedback agent allowed me to Send the report to your server.

Btw I do like Windows10 (personally I don't like the Apple products for being different to the rest of the world - Apple users always expect me to adjust to problems that they cause and don't even understand themselves - and their attitude never changed in the past 22 years). I like Win10 at work and in private but you'd better install Firefox as the default browser for better support and performance when dealing with Unity3D WebGL content.

PS Believe it or not. I had to search the word 'annotate'. Don't expect foreigners to understand every feature that is presented in the user interface. Yes, it's sad.

BeeVee
01-03-2018, 12:59 PM
I don't mind OSX, but I'm a Windows 7 guy (like several people on here, I expect). There are too many reasons to really dislike 10.

B
PS. The attachment thing is normal and a screenshot of what you're reporting is useful, especially if there's no URL.

JamesCurtis
01-03-2018, 11:11 PM
8.1 person here. No intention of going to 10.

Farhad_azer
01-04-2018, 10:55 AM
Win 7 here also.

SBowie
01-04-2018, 11:06 AM
8.1 person here. No intention of going to 10.Funny, I skipped 8, but am happy enough with 10. Win 8 felt like a transitional version to me, one foot in the traditional desktop experience and partway toward a touch interface ... not quite anywhere, and certainly not an improvement on 7. (I had to use it a bit, as our TalkShow product shipped with it initially.)

Both at home and at work, I have systems running 7 and 10, and as much as I like 7, I'm quite comfortable in 10.

I actually feel much the same way about LW 2018 as I did about 8, in that it feels transitional; I will upgrade for several reasons, but anticipate seeing the things that have been newly introduced mature more fully going forward.

3dworks
01-04-2018, 11:09 AM
congratulations, ben! - great work, very well done!

cheers

markus

erikals
01-04-2018, 11:09 AM
Win8 ?

arrrrgh! :)

tcoursey
01-04-2018, 01:26 PM
I like the simple approach it seems was taken. Less is more...until you really need to fully understand something. I think it would be nice to have some crazy nerdy details in some areas like the new render engine. And although it's not documentation, PRESETS for the render engine or even some SAMPLE SCENES that have different settings setup would be beneficial I think too.

Overall very clean and straight forward! Great work.

NeonZ
01-04-2018, 07:21 PM
I used the link from the Readme.txt file (http://docs.lightwave3d.com/) and the page couldn't be displayed. Could be that port 80 needs to be enabled for this sub-domain? Happy to use HTTPS, though! If HTTPS only, readme.txt file needs to be updated in the install package!

tcoursey
01-05-2018, 06:39 AM
I used the link from the Readme.txt file (http://docs.lightwave3d.com/) and the page couldn't be displayed. Could be that port 80 needs to be enabled for this sub-domain? Happy to use HTTPS, though! If HTTPS only, readme.txt file needs to be updated in the install package!

Confirmed here. http times out. https works fine. So link on the home page of lightwave3d.com works fine, it's https but if there are links to http they may not work.

Windows 10 at home and at work, just fine. Desktop is normal, I don't use start page etc. It's really no different except under the hood. I don't have crashes and I'm pleased. Happy I'm not on an old OS that will be forced out of my hands one day... At least I was able to move to it on my terms and timing :)

jeric_synergy
01-10-2018, 12:07 AM
Yo! BeeVee!

Does the new doc system have any facilities to note WHICH portions of the dox get referenced the most often?

My thinking is: if something is repeatedly referenced by a single user, maybe it needs some work.

If it's globally referenced, but not repeatedly, it's just Important ('cuz everybody is looking at it) and should be examined for completeness. ---Or it's fine.

Thinking of ways for the dox to continuously evolve, not just from "yeah, it's in there" to "good examples, very clear".

BeeVee
01-10-2018, 01:08 AM

Good find Martin! Please open a bug report to that effect.

B

BeeVee
01-10-2018, 01:12 AM
Does the new doc system have any facilities to note WHICH portions of the dox get referenced the most often?

My thinking is: if something is repeatedly referenced by a single user, maybe it needs some work.

If it's globally referenced, but not repeatedly, it's just Important ('cuz everybody is looking at it) and should be examined for completeness. ---Or it's fine.

Thinking of ways for the dox to continuously evolve, not just from "yeah, it's in there" to "good examples, very clear".

To be honest I'm not sure it has any tracking facilities like that, but it would be good. Certainly, the more eyes on it, reporting issues with it, the better it will get. As it is, since the release at the start of the year, I have updated it based on reports from a dozen people or more and that makes me happy. Right now, I am going to start a proper tutorial to setting up NRC since it seems to be giving people trouble - annoying for something that was designed to be easier than Screamernet!

B

CaptainMarlowe
01-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Great news !

jeric_synergy
01-10-2018, 06:23 PM
As it is, since the release at the start of the year, I have updated it based on reports from a dozen people or more and that makes me happy. Right now, I am going to start a proper tutorial to setting up NRC since it seems to be giving people trouble - annoying for something that was designed to be easier than Screamernet!
B

Very good, and glad to hear it. :thumbsup:

Read that, everybody??? REPORT BUGS (including dox) AND THINGS HAPPEN. Good Things.

mattc
01-10-2018, 06:48 PM
To be honest I'm not sure it has any tracking facilities like that, but it would be good. Certainly, the more eyes on it, reporting issues with it, the better it will get. As it is, since the release at the start of the year, I have updated it based on reports from a dozen people or more and that makes me happy. Right now, I am going to start a proper tutorial to setting up NRC since it seems to be giving people trouble - annoying for something that was designed to be easier than Screamernet!

B

it does, but you need to be logged in. There's a number of macros available to do so. You could probably just publish whatever it generates for you. Though if you were using the documentation theme, you can just browse > pages > recently updated.

JamesCurtis
01-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Is there a way that a list could be posted here at the head of this thread [or a new dedicated one] that could show what has been found to be errors in the docs, so that users aren't searching for ones already discovered?

jeric_synergy
01-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Is there a way that a list could be posted here at the head of this thread [or a new dedicated one] that could show what has been found to be errors in the docs, so that users aren't searching for ones already discovered?

+1

Also, since the dox can now be updated (although I never understood why the PDFs couldn't be updated), I'd like to know what the planned SCHEDULE for updates is: weekly? Monthly? Whenever???

BeeVee
01-12-2018, 02:55 AM
As soon as a bug gets reported I work on it (for the most part, some issues take longer than others). I have corrected or made additions to over twenty pages so far.

B

CaptainMarlowe
01-12-2018, 07:51 AM
Cool. I can't wait to read the NRC tutorial.

jdw
01-12-2018, 08:57 AM
"Back In Time" page header :confused:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Modeler

Jim

RedTed
01-12-2018, 09:02 AM
I've been trying to access the docs on my iPad while away from my main computers or travelling and despite logging in with my Newtek Account details or my login details for this forum, it keeps asking me to log in and will not allow me to continue any further than the welcome screen!
I can access the URL just fine on the main computer so whats with the login requirement on the (https://docs.lightwave3d.com/) address from the tablet?
Thanks for any help!

jeric_synergy
01-12-2018, 10:49 AM
As soon as a bug gets reported I work on it (for the most part, some issues take longer than others). I have corrected or made additions to over twenty pages so far.
B
So, it's pretty much immediate (within human limitations) and ongoing? That is, corrections and additions aren't stored up for group release?

(Sorry(ish) if I'm banging on about this, just want to know. See, I never understood why the PDFs apparently weren't updated weekly/as necessary, TMK.)

BeeVee
01-12-2018, 03:18 PM
"Back In Time" page header :confused:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Modeler

Jim

Darn, I thought I had got all those. Bug it for me wouldja? :)

B

- - - Updated - - -

I've been trying to access the docs on my iPad while away from my main computers or travelling and despite logging in with my Newtek Account details or my login details for this forum, it keeps asking me to log in and will not allow me to continue any further than the welcome screen!
I can access the URL just fine on the main computer so whats with the login requirement on the (https://docs.lightwave3d.com/) address from the tablet?
Thanks for any help!

Report that as a bug too, please RedTed. It shouldn't ask for a password just because you're on a different platform.

B

BeeVee
01-12-2018, 03:20 PM
So, it's pretty much immediate (within human limitations) and ongoing? That is, corrections and additions aren't stored up for group release?

(Sorry(ish) if I'm banging on about this, just want to know. See, I never understood why the PDFs apparently weren't updated weekly/as necessary, TMK.)

The PDF for 2015 had three updates, but also no-one reported bugs with that (or very few that were remedied for each update).

B

MonroePoteet
01-13-2018, 01:05 PM
I'd like to request a *downloadable* version of the documentation. Several of my in-house systems don't have any Internet access at all, by design. For example, my main LW rendering system is blocked from the Internet, which means I don't have to run an antivirus or firewall, improving performance on that system substantially.

As well, I occasionally try to do a bit of LW work and research in motels when I'm on the road where the Internet access is 1) wireless, 2) insecure, and 3) saturated by the other patrons downloading HD movies off NetFlix or Hulu.

For me, it doesn't have to be PDF, but maybe a ZIP'd version of the entire online documentation? Please?

Thanks!
mTp

jeric_synergy
01-13-2018, 03:21 PM
The PDF for 2015 had three updates, but also no-one reported bugs with that (or very few that were remedied for each update).
B
I must have given up by then.

An "update" for the version updates is not really an update, IMO, if that's what you mean. I'm talking Errors & Omissions, and just flat out clearer (and/or "expanded") explanations where needed.

++
re: Monro's point: this seems to be a common request. I understand that the new doc s/w could do this BUT doing it in a simple-minded way would bog down the server something fierce.

I suggest that it be done (compiled/dl'd --whatever the s/w supports) on a schedule and archived for those who need it. That way they have some recourse for their offline systems and it doesn't choke the server. And if it's on a schedule, BeeVee doesn't have to do it every time he makes some trivial alteration. After these first couple weeks, I don't imagine it will change much. (Unless YouTube links, et al, are added, which would be fantastic.)

Paul_Boland
01-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Found an error. Triple is now called Convert Polygons To Triangles. Took me a couple of minutes to realise this.
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Triple+Tool#space-menu-link-content

DogBoy
01-15-2018, 12:48 AM
Found an error. Triple is now called Convert Polygons To Triangles. Took me a couple of minutes to realise this.
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Triple+Tool#space-menu-link-content

Have you reported it?

jeric_synergy
01-15-2018, 12:59 AM
Found an error. Triple is now called Convert Polygons To Triangles.
Yeeshh. --That's concise. :eyeroll:

Does it have a shorter name for the button?

BeeVee
01-15-2018, 01:49 AM
Not sure where you're getting that from Paul. It's still Triple for me, and is also thus in the wiki?

By the way, with the patch also comes faster wiki and better mobile support. :)

B

TheLexx
01-15-2018, 03:51 AM
BeeVee, the document bug reporting link is inactive for me at this moment, but at https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Getting+Started+with+Layout we still have "The cow is standing right over the Origin." I believe it should read "Alien Emissary" instead of "cow".

(Doesn't bother me at all but someone might want to correct during the next round up). :)

CaptainMarlowe
01-15-2018, 11:13 PM
JUst noticed the docs are now fully readable and sear hable from my iPad. Thanks for fixing this !

BeeVee
01-15-2018, 11:51 PM
And should be much faster, maybe 3 to 4 times faster. :) @TheLexx, thanks for that, I fixed it, but please use the bug reporter. Do you have LightWave 2018 installed? If not, that would be why the wiki bug reporter isn't working.

B

jeric_synergy
01-17-2018, 01:48 AM
Not sure where you're getting that from Paul. It's still Triple for me, and is also thus in the wiki?
B

I think I know: in the MENU EDITOR (and likely in the hotkey editor), if you search for TRIPLE, you get a couple plugins with "Triple" in the name, but not "Convert Polygons to Triangles". If however you type "Convert" in the search box, you'll see "Convert Polygons to Triangles", and clicking on that reveals the Menu entry is listed, on the button, as "Triple".

We've come to expect that function to be called "Triple", but at some level, it is not. And buttons can be NAMED anything, calling functions totally different from the function's name. Several buttons have labels totally diff. from their function. Which is good, but confusing.

As to whether it's in the 2018 Dox, I can't verify.

BeeVee
01-17-2018, 03:23 AM
Ah yes, you are right. However, that's not a new thing. It has been that way a looong time :)

B

jwiede
01-17-2018, 04:09 PM
BeeVee, it might be worthwhile to have an appendix that enumerates (in order of appearance) all the Default / Studio Production menu layout's buttons' label text and what actual commands are associated with each button. Having that as part of the indexed and thus searchable text in the docs would be even more useful.

Just a thought. Confusions about what button means what command arise every couple months or so on the forums, and if it's happening that often with public postings, then it's happening a lot more often overall. Seems like helping with that would be useful.

It would also offer two, slightly more "subtle" benefits:

Folks using stock Default/StudioProd menus could easily confirm whether a common button has "disappeared" or if they're just misremembering where it is. In this case, it'd also help with checking for missing plugin since the cmd would be right there (if they can't find matching cmd it means plugin needs re-add).

Having this would provide additional incentive to keep both enumerations "up to date", and in turn would encourage keeping both layouts in sync and updated as well.

gar26lw
01-17-2018, 04:38 PM
it would be cool to have a section on plugins too. perhaps users could fill that out.

Paul_Boland
01-17-2018, 05:24 PM

By the way, with the patch also comes faster wiki and better mobile support. :)

B

I just went into Modeller to get you a screenshot and now it is called Triple. LOL!! Perhaps it changed in the 2018.0.1 update? Never mind. :)

jeric_synergy
01-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Ah yes, you are right. However, that's not a new thing. It has been that way a looong time :)

B
Absolutley: it's ANCIENT.

Automatically generates a Feature Request (of course): The (much appreciated) SEARCH button in the Menu Editor should search both "official/technical" function names, and button labels, which could be anything. Besides "Triple", there are at least a couple more vendor supplied labels that vary widely from the technical designation. And of course, users can change the labels to whatever they want.

The menu&hotkey editors are bare-bones affairs which would benefit from SOME attention, but are not so crucial as to deserve a LOT of developer resources. For one thing, they could be consolidated, so when you add a function to the menus you could right-then-and-there assign the hotkey, and you could more easily see the relations between the hotkeys and buttons.

(IMO, the editors in C4D, for counter-example, have TOO many bells and whistles.)

paulhart
01-24-2018, 03:47 PM
I keep attempting to get Lightwave to do what I think it should, with regard to Line Rendering, and in the Manual, on this page, there is a visual diagram which shows Spot Info as a choice on the Edge Nodes Menu, but I do not have that Node in my setup. I re-scanned my Plugins, but it did not show up, so... either something is missing, or that example image is from 2015, or it's and error. Thank you for the fine work on the documentation, good resource.
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Mesh+-+Edges?preview=/1858184/1858190/Edge_rendering-nodes.png

BeeVee
01-25-2018, 01:05 AM
Thanks for that Paul, you are right. It is an image from 2015 that I hadn't updated and would be worth a bug report. I will change the image to one appropriate to 2018.

B

paulhart
01-25-2018, 01:38 PM
BeeVee, Hello... does your comment mean that "I" am supposed to submit a 'Bug' report?? On the absence of the Node plugin??

BeeVee
01-25-2018, 03:19 PM
Normally yes, you spot a bug - report it. The problem with the forum is that there's no guarantee anyone will see a complaint. Even though I /have/ seen this one, I'd still rather you reported it so there's a "paper" trail for me to confirm what I've been working on.

All the best,

B

RPSchmidt
02-22-2018, 01:24 PM
I'd like to request a *downloadable* version of the documentation. Several of my in-house systems don't have any Internet access at all, by design. For example, my main LW rendering system is blocked from the Internet, which means I don't have to run an antivirus or firewall, improving performance on that system substantially.

As well, I occasionally try to do a bit of LW work and research in motels when I'm on the road where the Internet access is 1) wireless, 2) insecure, and 3) saturated by the other patrons downloading HD movies off NetFlix or Hulu.

For me, it doesn't have to be PDF, but maybe a ZIP'd version of the entire online documentation? Please?

Thanks!
mTp

I need to second this... I have ten systems that are pending LW 2018 installation, two already have it for testing purposes, and none of those systems are internet-accessible.

We have systems connected to the internet, but not for production and it is a pain in the arse switching back and forth to look up this or that.

Is there any possible way to get the documentation in a downloadable format? Even in HTML format, that would be fine... I just need to be able to transfer it to my offline systems.

raymondtrace
02-22-2018, 02:07 PM
...Is there any possible way to get the documentation in a downloadable format? Even in HTML format, that would be fine... I just need to be able to transfer it to my offline systems.

To save anyone from the trouble of testing, I can confirm that scraping with a tool like HTTrack ( https://www.httrack.com/ ) is a futile exercise. There's too much JS and server-side code that won't scrape well. Offline HTML docs would need to be pushed/published by NT...there's no pulling them down.

jwiede
02-22-2018, 06:25 PM
To save anyone from the trouble of testing, I can confirm that scraping with a tool like HTTrack ( https://www.httrack.com/ ) is a futile exercise. There's too much JS and server-side code that won't scrape well. Offline HTML docs would need to be pushed/published by NT...there's no pulling them down.

Yeah, we were using Confluence at the last startup I was at, and encountered lots of issues when it came to providing archived or hard-copy versions of documentation stored there. We ultimately began to switch away from using Confluence for that reason. It's not a bad tool, but they haven't adequately considered the full documentation life-cycle enough. While "internet-only" docs are suitable for less complex applications, for something like Lightwave you really need the ability to have downloadable and printable versions as well.

ELinder
03-02-2018, 10:10 AM
I bit the bullet and bought the upgrade. After looking thru the forums I realized I'm going to have to unlearn/relearn a lot of how LW used to work. Not being able to download an offline version of the docs, in any form, just plain stinks. I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to read thru manuals while on the go or in quick breaks where there is no internet connection available. Please find a way for us to save the docs offline.

Erich

jeric_synergy
03-04-2018, 05:40 PM
I haven't heard yet WHY BeeVee et al couldn't {do that thing that makes it offline} -- I know that individual users doing it would kill the server or something.

(Or, I've forgotten, it's been weeks.) Once a month should do it, no?

mattc
03-04-2018, 08:06 PM
I haven't heard yet WHY BeeVee et al couldn't {do that thing that makes it offline} -- I know that individual users doing it would kill the server or something.

(Or, I've forgotten, it's been weeks.) Once a month should do it, no?

He could. But what comes out might need a fair bit of cleanup. There is a Confluence to CHM plugin for confluence. We're testing it out internally to see if it'll produce reasonably good offline help files. I'll let you know how it goes.

jeric_synergy
03-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Hopefully that will pave the way for LW users who need offline documentation.

BeeVee
03-06-2018, 03:21 AM
Yeah, in the tests I've done it stinks. A PDF is also a crappy way of presenting animated content, like the GIFs that are sprinkled liberally through the docs, as I keep saying. As for creating an offline wiki? That could be done, but it is gigabytes of data now, so that might present its own problems.

B

gar26lw
03-06-2018, 05:42 AM
Yeah, in the tests I've done it stinks. A PDF is also a crappy way of presenting animated content, like the GIFs that are sprinkled liberally through the docs, as I keep saying. As for creating an offline wiki? That could be done, but it is gigabytes of data now, so that might present its own problems.

B

hey man, did you see my pm?

BeeVee
03-08-2018, 03:25 PM
I did, and I have just sent him a message :)

B

jeric_synergy
03-09-2018, 12:20 AM
If some kind of efficient pipeline is ever developed, a monthly download as enhancements are added to the dox would be good.

Also, IIRC, PDFs can be linked so one gargantuan file doesn't need to be loaded. That might be a fruitful avenue.

BigHache
04-01-2018, 06:19 PM
Just started to go through the new docs and the Removing Noise workflow page is really well done. I don't think the process could have been spelled out any better!