PDA

View Full Version : LW 2018 - Please read Manual and watch Videos FIRST

Julez4001
01-01-2018, 09:04 AM
I know a lot of folks are downloading the trial and some have purchase.
I think we should all give the manual a rough go over as well as the LW 2018 videos qbout the NEW lighting engine, NEW Object format, NEW standards and PBR surfaces plus check it Ryan video before we take ride on the b*tchexpress that is going on LW WIKI FB page. Its barely been 12 hours and WOW!! Some folks expectations are literally astounding.

Will there be problems...probably so.
LW 2018 have so much new features and UI updates, is gonna take time to go through it all.
Hopefully with everyone giving it a go, we will have some similary experiences and solutions but its only been 12 - 14 hrs folks on a holiday even.

let's slow it down.

Asticles
01-01-2018, 10:42 AM
+1
Agree totally

Lewis
01-01-2018, 10:49 AM
Yes, Hit F1 first :)
https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/New+to+2018

TheLexx
01-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Bit unusual they didn't also do a PDF manual, but good stuff anyway. :)

VirtualFM
01-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but: is there some content file to download somewhere? I didn't see it in the download pages, but maybe I missed it.

I don't mind trying the new stuff with some planes, squares and balls, but I wouldprefer to load up an example scene and check the new stuff, like in previous versions. I'm sure there must be one, just didn't find it yet.

Lewis
01-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but: is there some content file to download somewhere? I didn't see it in the download pages, but maybe I missed it.

In your customers Login. I see it there:

VirtualFM
01-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Oh! Thank you Lewis. Well, I didn't want to register it yet, as I know that those 30 days will fly by without me having the time to use them properly and will end up just using the last couple of days. I wanted to just register it when I was sure I had the time to take advantage of the 30 day trial.

UnCommonGrafx
01-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Honestly,
From what I've seen, if you can get through all this in 30 days, you don't need it. lol.

This is deep. Really deep stuff, on the rendering side. It all makes me want to animate to see the flowing movement....

Julez4001
01-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Yep...celshading at first looks simple but its not. Especially in terms of taking what you had and transferring that to the new cel models.

BeeVee
01-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Bit unusual they didn't also do a PDF manual, but good stuff anyway. :)

It's hard to do the animations in a PDF, especially if printed :)

B

pinkmouse
01-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Have you not seen Harry Potter Ben? :D

VirtualFM
01-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Honestly,
From what I've seen, if you can get through all this in 30 days, you don't need it. lol.

This is deep. Really deep stuff, on the rendering side. It all makes me want to animate to see the flowing movement....

That's exactly the reason I wanted to be sure I had 30 days available, to experiment the most I could. Right noew I have a couple days and then will be incredibly busy on the next couple weeks and then again by the end of the month have to take care of personal stuff (like start to remodel an house). So, registering the trial version right now would be a waste of resources.

adk
01-01-2018, 04:52 PM

B

Good work on the new docs Ben, kudos.
Is a local version of the docs possible with this Confluence thing-a-ma-jig ?
One we can read while not connected to the net and update from the online space as needed ?

Ernest
01-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Have you not seen Harry Potter Ben? :D

I'm sure that all his problems with the printed animations were because he was pronouncing it Leviosá.

Signal to Noise
01-01-2018, 07:39 PM

B

One would just have to flip the pages really fast. ;)

jeric_synergy
01-01-2018, 07:46 PM

B

I get the joke, but: I was shocked to learn that you can actually have 3d objects in PDFs, and rotate and scale them.

That is, I was shocked like ten years ago when I found out.

ianr
01-02-2018, 07:23 AM
I get the joke, but: I was shocked to learn that you can actually have 3d objects in PDFs, and rotate and scale them.

That is, I was shocked like ten years ago when I found out.

DITTO JERIC nice docs all same!

How do you embed a video into a PDF?
Open the PDF.
Choose Tools > Rich Media, and then select the Add Video , the Add Sound , or the Add SWF tool.
Drag or double-click to select the area on the page where you want the video or sound to appear. ...
Add a URL in the Name field, or click Browse to find the media file, and then click Open.