PDA

View Full Version : LWSN just quits!

Johnny
12-22-2003, 06:19 PM
OK..a new twist..I had a screamer session that began but I don't think it went well because LW refused to acknowledge my content directory and command directory (where the screamin is supposed to happen)

the screamer session appeared to hang, wouldn't quit, I had to force it all to quit, and even after trashing prefs and running init config, LWSN will launch briefly and quit.

Sounds like the whole mess is having a hissy and just doesn't want to play now!

Is a re-install indicated here?

J

mlinde
12-22-2003, 07:14 PM
LWSN does the launch/quit bit because there is an improperly coded config file (LWSN cmdline).

Johnny
12-22-2003, 07:22 PM
no...the cmdline files are ok; I know for a fact that they work.

best I can phrase it, LW didn't "like" the fact that I moved the original job file, despite my having told it where to look...SN seemed to hang, and I think that forcing it to quit may have busted something.

All's working now: reinstalled LW, re-did the config files, and this time LW seemed to 'obey' the content and command re-direction.

there are probably much better programmer terms for this, but I think this is what happened.

Also, as for the black files, I just loaded the job into my 'nodetest' folder, a la Dirk's tutorial.

Much of this is me still learning, but I think that something caused Lightwave to refuse to really implement the content and command re-direction.

J

Johnny
12-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
LWSN does the launch/quit bit because there is an improperly coded config file (LWSN cmdline).

Is there another cause to this Quitting?? Reason I ask is that SN doesn't seem to "like" being stopped once it gets going..

couple of times, I've successfully initiated SN, then realized I hadn't set settings to my liking, tried to stop, and waited much longer for it to cease than it would take to finish rendering whatever frames it was working on.

Trying again after that would produce this LWSN quitting right after launching, as though something was busted. Reinstalling LW "fixes" it, but is there something else that can be done short of re-installing?

J

mlinde
12-25-2003, 01:27 PM
SN uses a text-encoded file to communicate between the node and the controller. While the node is working, it doesn't update or read the files. In addition, the node documents it's completion of a frame before it reads the commands from the controller.

Put these together with the read/write delays (the applications 'poll' the command files at specified intervals) and it could take a while for a node to finish rendering, report it, realize what it's supposed to do next, report it and shut down, while the controller needs to send the shutdown command, wait for a response, then provide feedback to the user.

This can add up to odd delays. Make sense?

Johnny
12-25-2003, 01:46 PM
so, I just need to make my request to Stop SN once, and chill until all comes to a halt, else risk 'breaking' something?

I/we need to wait for the communication to filter throughout all involved SN parties..

J

NonPlanar
12-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Every time you're done with Screamer, you need to SHUTDOWN the screamer network by clicking on the SHUTDOWN screamer network in the network rendering panel.

This writes a command in the job/ack that orders the LWSN to self-destruct. If this command is still in the job file, the LWSN will read this and commit suicide (a typical x-mas thing to do anyway).

So if you keep having this even after correctly shutting down the Sceaming, you can delete all the job/ack files that are written by the Screamer and LWSN nodes BEFORE you start anything up.

Dirk.

Happy rendering.