PDA

View Full Version : e-onsoftware (Vue) down ?

madno
12-28-2017, 11:09 PM
Hi,

does anybody know something about e-software.com being down?
Site says "back in a few hours", for days now.
No access to the support and download section?

CaptainMarlowe
12-29-2017, 01:43 AM
Cornucopia3D is down also. Curious.

JamesCurtis
12-29-2017, 08:36 AM
Curious! It does say maintenence, and we'll just have to wait and see.

tcoursey
12-29-2017, 10:43 AM
LW3DG acquired them and then killed them (company)! They took a page out of Autodeks book for the new year I think. Happy New Year!

Wickedpup
12-29-2017, 11:58 AM
Now, did LWG accuire E-on from Bentley Systems (who accuired them a little over a year ago) and kill them or did they accuire and kill Bentley Systems? :hey:

tcoursey
12-29-2017, 12:00 PM
Now, did they accuire E-on from Bentley Systems (who accuired them a little over a year ago) or did they accuire and kill Bentley? :hey:

Actually I think I got it all wrong. LW3DG bought Autodesk and Adobe! It's why they've been so silent for past 3 years. Been printing money like crazy I guess.

Greenlaw
12-29-2017, 12:55 PM
e-on's website has been down for a couple of days. It was down when I was trying to download the VueSynch plugin for LightWave to test in LightWave 2018 and it's been down ever since. Luckily, I found my Vue 2016 R3 installer files on a backup drive, and found the plugin. (FYI, still testing but so far VueSynch appears to work with LightWave 2018. There's more info about this in the LightWave 2018 Plugins (tested) thread.)

I know the website was up and running a few weeks ago when I renewed my Vue Infinite sub. I'm guessing they're on holiday, so maybe it will come back up after Jan 1st?

Ernest
12-29-2017, 01:08 PM
e-on's website has been down for a couple of days.

It has been down at least since the 21st. We waited until the 20th to renew our maintenance to have it charged to the next fiscal month, and surprise! We didn't consider this when leaving things to the last minute.

Ma3rk
12-29-2017, 01:32 PM
Well, that 'spains a number of things (sort of). Been trying to update e-mail info on both those sites & getting the same messages.

CaptainMarlowe
12-29-2017, 02:11 PM
A bit surprising, several dyas down and not an email to keep the customers informed... Cornucopia3D owes me a hundred bucks from models sold there, I wish I would have triggered the payment earlier... :) well, wait and see...

rustythe1
12-30-2017, 04:35 AM
they replied to someone on FB, looks like they just got hacked as it says "security patching" and they will let you know when its back on line, that was mid December though, they have been posting other stuff on FB so they are still there, just no mention of server problems since that one user reply

- - - Updated - - -

they probably cant send emails as it mentioned the "servers" in the post

Greenlaw
12-30-2017, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the update. I just hope our accounts weren't compromised. (Happy New Year everybody!) :)

MichaelT
12-30-2017, 03:10 PM
And this is a perfect example why it is an issue when you have to rely on a company's server to be up and running in order for their DRM to be working. Oh.. and happy new year ;)

Greenlaw
12-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Yup. Although in this case, I can still run the software--the server isn't requried to use the software. But it would be a problem right now if I needed to activate it on a different computer.

I potentially face this now with Magpie Pro. Third Wish Software is no more, so presumedly, the license activation server is gone too. I have two installed licenses which I still use occasionally (as a matter of fact, the Brudders music video project relies on Magpie Pro for lipsync,) but if either computer dies, I'm out one whole license. (Hopefully, BMVP will be done before that. Hopefully.) :goodluck:

Asticles
12-31-2017, 03:52 AM
Yup. Although in this case, I can still run the software--the server isn't requried to use the software. But it would be a problem right now if I needed to activate it on a different computer.

I potentially face this now with Magpie Pro. Third Wish Software is no more, so presumedly, the license activation server is gone too. I have two installed licenses which I still use occasionally (as a matter of fact, the Brudders music video project relies on Magpie Pro for lipsync,) but if either computer dies, I'm out one whole license. (Hopefully, BMVP will be done before that. Hopefully.) :goodluck:

You should make a disk image with clonezilla

Philbert
12-31-2017, 10:26 AM

That reminds me of Animeeple which I loved for simple mocap stuff but they shut it down, which meant the software stopped working. I wish they had just made it free and open if they were going to shut down.

Greenlaw
12-31-2017, 11:22 AM
I hadn't considered that. Thanks for the tip!

CaptainMarlowe
12-31-2017, 12:24 PM
That reminds me of Animeeple which I loved for simple mocap stuff but they shut it down, which meant the software stopped working. I wish they had just made it free and open if they were going to shut down.

Before shuting down, they released a special animeeple forever version with fbx export. I still have it and use it from time to time, especially to rescale my mocap and sometimes mix them for easier later use in Nevron Motion. So animeeple still works for me (mac version) allthough only with my own mocap data or characters.

Signal to Noise
01-06-2018, 02:27 PM
It's been down for "maintenance" for weeks and now it 404's. Very concerning.

CaptainMarlowe
01-06-2018, 02:41 PM
Yep, very strange.

calilifestyle
01-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Even Cornucopia3D is down.

MichaelT
01-06-2018, 03:36 PM
Maybe they've been bought by Adobe? ;) (I'm joking... but this is very strange indeed)

Paul_Boland
01-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Maybe they've been bought by Adobe? ;) (I'm joking... but this is very strange indeed)

I was thinking the same thing.

CaptainMarlowe
01-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Well, it reminds me of N-Sided, makers of Quidam. Their online shop was closed for maintenance for a few months, then vanished. We later learned their technology had been bought by Dassault systems some time ago.

Ernest
01-22-2018, 08:41 AM
It's finally back up!
...well, sort of. At least they have a site up.

CaptainMarlowe
01-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Well, almost one month down for this, and cornucopia still down... I don't know what happened to them, but it's a serious issue.

calilifestyle
01-22-2018, 12:02 PM
It's funny when you select view price the year is 2016 .

sadkkf
01-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Has anyone tried to access cornucopia3d.com from within Vue? Not at my PC now, but I wonder where it takes me if I try to buy something from the software.

The new site, to me, looks very hastily built so I'm wondering if it were hacked as someone suggested.

Signal to Noise
01-22-2018, 12:41 PM
It's finally back up!
...well, sort of. At least they have a site up.

It does not format correctly with IE. Fine with Chrome.

Doesn't look very good at all design-wise.

Ernest
01-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Has anyone tried to access cornucopia3d.com from within Vue? Not at my PC now, but I wonder where it takes me if I try to buy something from the software.

A "Connection Troubles" error box.

Signal to Noise
01-25-2018, 07:02 AM
I received an official email statement from Helen LeBlanc @ E-On Software today. E-On's servers were indeed compromised, possibly going back to 2013(!!). Apparently no sensitive financial information was breached but other information such as customer names, addresses, and product serial numbers were accessed. Very disappointing and concerning nonetheless. Makes me think twice yet again about establishing a "secure" customer account with an online retailer.

CaptainMarlowe
01-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Received the same email. That's indeed concerning.

sadkkf
01-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Same here. It also noted they're rebuilding the cornucopia3d.com site from scratch and are working for a more immediate solution to allow users to download purchased content.

I've more or less given up on Vue, but have purchased things from cornucopia3d when I'm in need of an object quickly. Does anyone still use Vue regularly?

Greenlaw
01-25-2018, 01:42 PM
I've maintained my license for Vue Infinite over the years but I have to confess, after we got native Instancing and Hurley's Advanced Placement in LightWave, I don't use Vue nearly as much as I used to.

I seriously considered using Vue for my current personal project but since this is my first real Lightwave 2018 project and I want to get it done relatively quickly, I decided to keep it all in LightWave. It's been complicated enough adapting to the new rendering system. :)

I think if I don't use Vue for something this year, it will probably be my last year re-newing my sub. (Might depend on whether AP for 2018 comes out this year.)

CaptainMarlowe
01-25-2018, 02:08 PM
I’ve stopped using vue a long time ago, but I still sell some objects on cornucopia3d, so I sometimes launch vue9 to import items and get them ready for a submission on Cornucopia. Otherwise, I tend to generate my landscapes in terragen free edition and export them as lwo belfre doing all the job in LW.

jaf
01-25-2018, 06:41 PM
Just wanted to mention -- Matt at Terragen has announced they are hiring, so it appears TG is healthy and has a bright future. I don't know enough about Vue, so I can't (won't) judge which is better, etc, but I've been quite happy with Terragen and it's future.

Signal to Noise
01-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Just wanted to mention -- Matt at Terragen has announced they are hiring, so it appears TG is healthy and has a bright future. I don't know enough about Vue, so I can't (won't) judge which is better, etc, but I've been quite happy with Terragen and it's future.

Good call. I haven't looked at Terragen in years and now that I visited the site I have to say it looks really good. Price for Pro seems very reasonable so I'll have give the trial a try.

I've been using Vue Infinite off and on for many years. Also have Plant Factory which is used less frequently and Ozone which I use a lot inside LW. I always kept up with the annual maintenance because upgrades if a year or several are missed can get expensive. But now the proverbial cat is out of the bag in regards to what happened with E-On I need to switch companies.

Thanks for that reminder!

CaptainMarlowe
01-25-2018, 10:31 PM
I have used TG free because it can export terrains to lwo. There was also a script for LW that allowed to import camera and light position into TG, which was quite useful. I really like this program, it has been on my "to buy" list for a long time, now, but I willl definitely buy it at some point. Not too expensive for what it allows imho.

sadkkf
01-26-2018, 07:18 AM
I bought into Vue years back and told myself I wouldn't upgrade until I was somewhat proficient with it. Well, that was with Vue 10 complete and I still struggle sometimes with getting realistic renders.

For me the best part of Vue were the ecosystems and getting a scene built pretty quickly. It was always the renders that discouraged me. With LW now using PBR, I'm happy to leave Vue behind.

Signal to Noise
01-29-2018, 12:39 PM
I got into contact with Planetside Software in regards to migrating over to Terragen Pro. They offer a 30% discount to do so which to me is an excellent incentive to make the move from Vue. They were also kind enough to provide a 30 day license to trial T4 Pro. I am pleased with the communication of Planetside. I am going to go through some tutorials to familiarize myself with the Terragen GUI and likely will make the switch.

MichaelT
01-30-2018, 06:50 AM
Terragen is really good, but does have a bit of a learning curve to it. The downside is that Terragen is very slow. That is one tool that could really benefit from going GPU.

Signal to Noise
12-03-2018, 12:44 PM
So E-On Software seems to be in normal operational mode now, per email received earlier today. Went and had a look. Guess what?

Their business model has now moved to subscriptions!

Planetside has also started offering subs (can still opt for perpetual license as well) for Terragen.

[edit]: Seems E-On are only offering Vue & Plant Factory. No sign of Ozone/Cloud Factory on their site.

prometheus
12-03-2018, 01:19 PM
So E-On Software seems to be in normal operational mode now, per email received earlier today. Went and had a look. Guess what?

Their business model has now moved to subscriptions!

Planetside has also started offering subs (can still opt for perpetual license as well) for Terragen.

[edit]: Seems E-On are only offering Vue & Plant Factory. No sign of Ozone/Cloud Factory on their site.

subscriptions only, o my...sounds like a nail in the coffin, for me ..definitely less interesting than ever before.

Greenlaw
12-03-2018, 02:24 PM
I've had to pay annual maintenance for Vue Infnite for several years, which I always thought of as a subscription fee. Is the new arrangement different now?

Edit: Just checked it out and, yeah, the new arrangement is different...more like Creative Cloud, I guess.

That might work better for me. I like Vue but I haven't actually used it for a while. The subscription rate is essentially what I was paying for maintenance if I never skipped a year. And I still have my perpetual license if I don't need the very latest and greatest.

Ernest
12-03-2018, 03:22 PM
QUITE different, if you want the plugins or want to export.
I'd be going from a $400/year XStream maintenance to a $900/ year subscription.
Except I won't be. No way.

JohnMarchant
12-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Indeed i agree, for what i need mostly Quadspinners Gaea, World Creator or even Terragen. Gaea is great and so is World Creator and they are not subscription. I certainly wont pay $20 per month and cant export and no plugins, Vue is not that good. Abobe CC the whole suit is only Ģ50 per month, Vue Pro pricing is not justified in my opinion at $75 per month.

Signal to Noise
12-03-2018, 07:12 PM
^
Heard of World Creator but not Gaea. I looked Gaea up and it does pique my interest although it is still in early access(?). Does Gaea handle atmosphere or is it terrain only? How well does it work with LW?

vpii
12-03-2018, 07:59 PM
Installed the demo. FBX does export individual instance placement but they really should save LW native instance/scene file. No way you could load million + trees/file without memory problems. Over all feel like same old Vue with export now that is half baked. If they just made the Vue instancing plugin native in host software like they did in 3D Max would save time with f'ing around in the main Vue interface just to export. In my opinion only thing that will save this software is if the incorporate some very fast rendering engine in there interface or make plugins for all software packages. Right now it is more of the same. Just to slow to render in there software.

Greenlaw
12-03-2018, 08:36 PM
I've always rendered LightWave stuff in LightWave and Vue stuff in Vue. The LW camera can be imported to Vue to match up the scenes, and Vue can export all the compositing buffers I could ask for, like object/material ID, depth and motion, plus a coverage channel for anti-aliasing. Being able to group Vue items in arbitrary render layers is very handy for compositing too. It all works perfectly in Fusion, as the aa is applied automatically.

Back when I was with R+H, we had XStream but we usually rendered LW and Vue separately from each package as described because it was faster and we liked the flexibility. That's why I've always stayed with Vue Infinite for personal projects; just never really needed the Xstream part.

Ernest
12-03-2018, 09:46 PM
I got used to Ozone, back in the day. So even though I'd render eco plants and terrains separately, all my LW skies were XStream.
It was also useful for quickly stamping an individual non-ecosystem plant, since they render for almost nothing and it's not worth the trouble to have two scenes in two programs for a couple of plants.

JohnMarchant
12-04-2018, 02:34 AM
@Signal to Noise, At the moment no, its nowhere near what Vue does in terms of Atmo, Clouds and such, that is planned. Of the two Gaea slightly took the lead for me. Im mostly dealing with landscapes and such. Other alternative is Terragen. World Creator only exports heightmaps but Gaea exports geometery as well.

prometheus
12-04-2018, 07:15 AM
a bit tragic that we can not get a fully developed continuous product for atmosphere and clouds within Lightwave, ogo taiki albeit hard to use and set up and slow renders with difficulties to get good quality, is out of the question since lightwave went 64 bit only, and ozone has been discontinued.

So again...within previous request period of maybe ten years, I urge the lw team to start working on infinite cloud layers and atmosphere layers, No one can say we havenīt requested it.

Signal to Noise
12-04-2018, 09:15 AM
@Signal to Noise, At the moment no, its nowhere near what Vue does in terms of Atmo, Clouds and such, that is planned. Of the two Gaea slightly took the lead for me. Im mostly dealing with landscapes and such. Other alternative is Terragen. World Creator only exports heightmaps but Gaea exports geometery as well.

Thanks for the info. I may bite on a perpetual license of Terragen and just buy Gaea as well to support dev and see what happens going forward.

I'll hang on to my Ozone/Cloud Factory and Vue Infinite for as long as I can. I'm not in favour of E-on's new license decision and their lack of transparency after the website breach didn't sit well with me either.

So again...within previous request period of maybe ten years, I urge the lw team to start working on infinite cloud layers and atmosphere layers, No one can say we havenīt requested it.

I concur!

JohnMarchant
12-04-2018, 09:33 AM
That's the reason i got Gaea, to support Quadspinner, i was tempted by World Creator and Gaea, but eventually went for Gaea. I have old versions of Vue, but to be honest at this price point i will not be updating at all. $75 is not worth it for my needs.

vpii
12-04-2018, 09:53 AM
They should of expanded there Carbon Scatter plugin across all 3D software with Ozone integrated. Just can not seeing many sign up for $75 per month rental as it sits now unless bigger company.

Marander
12-04-2018, 10:06 AM
I don't like Bentley's decision going rental only. I never get software on subscription (not even Adobe) and $75 per month for hobby use is a lot.

I'm against rental because I want to be able to access my projects / scenes anytime or years later when the company is maybe not even in business anymore. I want to control the cost with one-time software purchases (plus in some cases maintenance for perpetual software). I'm against online services because my workstations are offline and I want to be independent of those companies product life cycles or faulty activation processes. If all the software I have goes rental I would end up paying thousands every year without ever owning a license.

Unfortunately more and more software companies decide to go that route. Within a month for me Vray (now rental only) and VUE. Well, I keep using the versions I got perpetually (they are still great) but no money from me to these companies anymore.

The VUE Creator line is not interesting to me because I want to be able to export / import into my other apps.

So I'll stick with my xStream 2016.6. I'm not interested in Plant Factory because I have several other tools for creating vegetation. During my running maintenance I now have the Enterprise license but I will certainly not renew it.

It's a quite annoying for me because renewed my xStream maintenance only to get C4D R20 support for Vue which I will never have perpetually thanks to the new rental model. The xStream part of the new VUE is basically unchanged.

The developers and support folks at e-on (now Bentley) are very nice guys. Its not their fault, Bentley changed the licensing model to subscription only. I wish them good success with the new versions. Some new features like VDB import/export and PBR/Substance integration are great.

I also use GAEA Enterprise, Terragen Pro, World Machine Pro and Geoglyph Pro and each has its pro's / con's.

Quadspinner has also a track record of abandoning software, their Vue line of products never had proper documentation and some products (like MDK) felt unfinished. They recently released them as open source.

GAEA is great, I like the UI and it has some awesome nodes but still has stability issues. I created several landscapes that I was not able to export it because one of the nodes crashed or hanged the software. However it's still beta and developed / improved with a fast pace, so there's hope. I got the Enterprise version because the others require the machine to be online.

World Machine development is just too slow and I don't expect many updates anymore for Quadspinner Geoglyph.

The only landscape software I don't have is World Creator. From what I've seen it has a nice UI and workflow but the landscape (e.g. Erosion) quality seems far below of what is possible with the other tools.

TheLexx
12-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Does anyone use Bryce (https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro)in any capacity ? I don't use it myself but I seem to recall some good images from it and it does seem more suited to the "smaller guy" and only around $20 nowadays.

Also, is Terragen perpetual a proper offline license ?
(EDIT I see it is - next question - do they ever have sales ? :D)

Marander
12-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Does anyone use Bryce (https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-pro)in any capacity ? I don't use it myself but I seem to recall some good images from it and it does seem more suited to the "smaller guy" and only around $20 nowadays.

Also, is Terragen perpetual a proper offline license ?

Sorry, Bryce looks awful, both the UI and the result. You can sometimes get it on DAZ for $3-6 but it's not even worth that.

Better use LightWave instead.

Yes Terragen is a proper offline license, you get a lic file you can install anywhere anytime.

However in the newest version 4.3.x they have also implemented some subscription code.

When the official 4.3.16 came out it required the machine to be online. I reported it on release day and they immediately fixed it in 4.3.18. You might get a message that your maintenance expired after a year, but the software works without issues offline forever.

Edit: Sales, no not really, never saw a Planetside sale. However their products are very well (low) priced in my opinion.

Wickedpup
12-04-2018, 11:37 AM
World Creator only exports heightmaps but Gaea exports geometery as well. World Creator exports to OBJ

jwiede
12-04-2018, 11:56 AM
They should of expanded there Carbon Scatter plugin across all 3D software with Ozone integrated. Just can not seeing many sign up for $75 per month rental as it sits now unless bigger company.

Yep, as both an Ozone and CarbonScatter customer, I'll never consider any E-On Vue or Vue-derived product again (regardless of who owns them). The "version upgrades" provided for CS between 2015 and 2017 were...minor at best, other than fixes and minor compatibility updates. Even pretending they delivered anything significant for Ozone customers is a complete farce. The BS they pulled with maintenance subs for both products are inexcusable (at best).

All in all, I'm very, very disappointed with how E-On handled many aspects of the situation over the last couple years.

Signal to Noise
12-10-2018, 11:15 AM

Edit: Sales, no not really, never saw a Planetside sale. However their products are very well (low) priced in my opinion.

When I had enquired many moons ago, Planetside did offer substantial "crossgrade" discounts if, for example, you were a licensed Vue user wanting to get on board with Terragen. All it took was an email since they don't advertise this.