PDA

View Full Version : Worst thing that you've been told at a job interview...

shrox
12-25-2017, 04:53 PM
There is no job, we just wanted to see what a genuine psychopath looks like.

Wade
12-25-2017, 11:30 PM
I was asked to sign a 20 year non-compete before an interview for a job as a painting instructor at a "paint and sip". Crossed off half of what was on the document like "I have had time review this document with the attorney of my choice".. Well no I have not as you just now put this in front of me as I sat down. After a brief "interview" I asked how many artists / instructors they were hiring and was told that they had already hired as many as they wanted.

Seems they were fishing to try and lock up as many artists in the area in a bogus "non-compete" agreement before they opened their "studio"

sami
12-26-2017, 12:56 AM
I was asked to sign a 20 year non-compete before an interview for a job as a painting instructor at a "paint and sip". Crossed off half of what was on the document like "I have had time review this document with the attorney of my choice".. Well no I have not as you just now put this in front of me as I sat down. After a brief "interview" I asked how many artists / instructors they were hiring and was told that they had already hired as many as they wanted.

Seems they were fishing to try and lock up as many artists in the area in a bogus "non-compete" agreement before they opened their "studio"

Even in America, egregious non-competes are rarely enforceable. Courts generally don't like to do restraint of trade. Probably would fly if it was 6 months though.

prometheus
12-26-2017, 05:13 AM
I havenīt come across any extreme example really, just some odd answers after their questions, like if I knew how to work with coral draw...I said I was used to Illustrator, but the principles are the same, and I also responded why do they use coral draw and not illustrator just out of curiosity, they answered that they used coral draw since they knew how to download it as a piracy sofware, now I didnīt get the job and frankly I was worried if I had gotten it, very odd answers like when asked upon if they provided some form of benefits within the company..they sort of dropped the jaw when I asked about that, like they were a small company and such things were not something they could provide, and some other worrying stuff around the employment which I am not going in to here.

OlaHaldor
12-26-2017, 06:42 AM
I was offered a 6 month contract with, as they said "a very likely chance to get steady job after that".
Within the time I came for the second round of interviews I had just become a father. When they learned I'm going away for paternity leave during the (potential) first year as a permanent employee I was told I could get the 6 months, period.
They ended the interview by saying "by the way we're hiring" (not on contract -- permanent!) 3d artists in January, please forward any recommendations to us.
That was a blow to the face..

erikals
12-26-2017, 11:19 AM
related, my father worked at a place (1985) where some colleges were taken to a course.

the catch,
the new strategy (genius) was to psyche the people down, for then to build them up.
needles to say some came out of that "training" with severe psychological problems.

quite fast, the course was discontinued.

TheLexx
12-26-2017, 12:19 PM
Too intriguing erikals ! What was the nature of the course ?

The worse thing they say to me at interviews is "Thank you, we'd like to offer you the job", thus keeping me another step further from the things I'd love to really do. Or something like that... :D

50one
12-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Interviews?

Don't get me even started...

Spending 40minutes giving someone an example how precise person you are and always do everything within specified timeframe...

You ask them when do you think you'll hear from them..."this week for sure"....three weeks later still waiting for feedback..

At one point had a job interview at Lightwave competitor...went well...waiting and waiting...finally an email 'sorry, we just changed the job description so looking for someone with completely different skill set"

One interview at architectural visualisation company....firet stage, went well both sides happy, waiting for email regarding stage 2(meeting director and managers) ...no email for a week... finally decided to send an email and ask wtf is going on...got a response 'oh sorry! We sent you an email and you didn't reply, so we thought you lost the interest.." seriously, WTF?!? Apart that there was bo email from them, why not calling me then, if I really missed an email? Cheap excuse.

Bloody hate interviews.

You lie , they lie... nothing good starts with a lie.

erikals
12-26-2017, 03:41 PM
...people just twist the truth a bit.

Too intriguing erikals ! What was the nature of the course ?
can't recall, sales or something i think.

shrox
12-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Well, I haven't had a proper job in 10 years. Why start now?

Reco
12-29-2017, 06:26 AM
I did a mistake in the mid nighties, were I focused to much on the video quality. I was the lucky owner of a Personal Animation Recorder, http://amiga.resource.cx/adcoll/adcoll.pl?id=par&pg=1&lang=en&res=hi
and talked about Beta SP quality, 4:2:2, no dropped frames, etc. It was for an oil company, and they didn’t have a clue of what I was talking about.
They gave the job to another person since he was able to deliver crappy 400x300 pixels animation files.

They just didn’t understand that the animation files was of a lower quality, and that I was able to deliver that as well.

Reco

SBowie
12-29-2017, 06:57 AM
I did a mistake in the mid nighties, were I focused to much on the video quality. I was the lucky owner of a Personal Animation Recorder, http://amiga.resource.cx/adcoll/adcoll.pl?id=par&pg=1&lang=en&res=hi
and talked about Beta SP quality, 4:2:2, no dropped frames, etc. It was for an oil company, and they didn’t have a clue of what I was talking about.
They gave the job to another person since he was able to deliver crappy 400x300 pixels animation files.

They just didn’t understand that the animation files was of a lower quality, and that I was able to deliver that as well.

RecoFunny how it works. This is the second time in a week that someone has brought up the PAR, and the golden period of taking a full day to render SD frames to tape, one at a time. I can't say I miss the wait, but it really was a kind of golden age of discovery, with great communities excited about the possibilities. At the moment, we seem to more consumed with discontent about how it all turned out, and anxiety about the potential disasters that will yet ensue. But perhaps that's just notsalgia.

Sorry for the OT ... back to the misadventures of job-hunters. To that end, I can mention the time an interviewer asked (a much younger version of) me what sort of position I thought I could fill, and I told him I thought I'd be able to do his job pretty easily. :)

erikals
12-29-2017, 07:55 AM
Well, I haven't had a proper job in 10 years. Why start now?
a matter of definition.

the government over here have already started projects where they pay people to do, well, nothing
it is called > Basic Income.

it's not a matter of if this will be a reality, rather when.
robots and automation is taking over.

had an idea for a project, the downside was if i went on with it, it could potentially remove 20000+ jobs.
so instead, here i am, poor as .....

my point, don't feel too bad about it,

it's not like any government is struggling on low-income peoples' behalf anyway.
(i know that is political, but i can't really see anyone arguing against that statement, if so, i will remove it)

MarcusM
12-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Few years ago, on job interview, they told I will be using 3ds Max because they have license... ;] Two weeks after, called me and told they will buy LW and hire me.

Schwyhart
12-29-2017, 11:48 AM
I got called into an interview in a city 2 hours away. I drove there, then during the interview, the boss treated me like trash. It was the weirdest thing...I was thinking, you called me here just to treat me this way? No thanks.
Maybe he had a bad day...

Greenlaw
12-29-2017, 04:42 PM
I don't think I've ever had a bad interview, but I had a weird one once.

I was asked to drop by a programming company to see their new product. They gave me a tour of their shop and showed me the program they were developing. They we're really excited about it but I didn't really understand it or know who would use it. They were very nice but never heard from them again. I never figured out what they wanted from me.

Oh, wait, I do remember one 'bad' interview at a tv production studio. But that was all me...for some reason, I was really nervous about this job, and I think it showed. They were very nice to me but I was sure I wasn't getting the job. When I got home, I decided to call it a 'practice interview' and moved on...and I did much better on my next one at another company. A year later, that studio called and asked me to work on a couple of TV shows, so I guess I didn't make as bad an impression as I thought I did. You just never know.

The longest interview I had was with Rhythm & Hues, which ran well over two hours. That seemed unusually long to me but it was time well spent because I wound up working there as an artist for over 12 years.

Oh, oh! There was one interview with a video game producer, many, many years ago when I was working as a freelance illustrator. I brought my portfolio and he asked if he could borrow it to show his partners. I never heard from him again but at least I got a very nice dinner out of it. Then, about six months later, I got a call from the police. They apparently found my portfolio in an abandoned stolen car. I answered some questions and they asked me if I wanted my portfolio back. So, I did get it back eventually but the rest of this story remains a mystery to me.

shrox
12-29-2017, 04:49 PM
I interviewed at MicroProse in 1998. They flew me out to Austin from San Francisco, put me up in a nice hotel, then at the interview they said MicroProse was shutting down in two weeks. I ended up working at Digital Anvil a month later.

Vong
12-29-2017, 07:59 PM
With being out of work for over a year now, almost every interview that I've been too over the past year has been a bad one, since not a single one has led to a job. I've even been going into Joe Schmoe's just to try and bring some money in. Luckily my wife is Manager of a retail store, so that's been what's supporting us.

Would love to get back into the graphics/video editing world though. I just feel I've been out of the loop for too long. All my former clients have brought everything in house and what little they do shop out goes to a select few post houses. I've been tempted to lower my rate, but I feel that does no one any good.

Anyways... Now that I think about it, the worst interview from this past year has to have been with a call center. I went in for an interview at 2pm, and was still sitting in their waiting room as the receptionist was packing things up to head home. She "had forgotten I was there", even though I was checking in with her and the other receptionist every 10 minutes. :confused:

Paul_Boland
12-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Haven't had a permanent job in over two decades which really sucks! I kept getting told that there is no work for me here and I should emigrate to America. That's a great thing to hear at the job interview!!

Sitting outside waiting for the interview is also interesting as I'm usually surrounded by people half my age, fresh out of college, with everything still fresh in their head. I do a LOT of home studies, I keep myself up to date as best I can, but I've lost hope of finding a job here. I've even baffled four career advisors who didn't know what to do with me!! LOL!!!

Dexter2999
12-29-2017, 09:45 PM
There is no job, we just wanted to see what a genuine psychopath looks like.

Didn't you go to England to that farm that was a bogus studio, where your room and board were part of your salary?

shrox
12-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Didn't you go to England to that farm that was a bogus studio, where your room and board were part of your salary?

Yes, that was...an experience.

MIM Essay
05-04-2018, 01:42 AM
i went for an interview in sapient and after clearing till last round and talking to them they told me to they will contact me soon and after few days wheen is ask for the update they replied that no suck profile exist ... seriously people sometime acts weirddddddd :/ it was such a waste spending time there and preparing for their Interview questions ... weird world :/ :/

RPSchmidt
05-06-2018, 06:36 PM
Once had a phone interview for a game design job working on the Vampire the Masquerade MMORPG. I had sent them a lot of my design material from past work and it included a lot of rough pre-viz stuff I did to go with the design documents to help communicate level and character concepts (this was before I started doing multimedia full time).

The interview lasted around two hours and I felt like it was going really well, until the guy started telling me how bad my artwork was; I said, well, it's a good thing I'm applying for a job as a game designer then right?

Got off the phone with mixed feelings about the whole thing and didn't get a call back. Good thing in a way though, because they went through around two-three years of development and then the whole thing folded. I could have ended up moving to Georgia and then looking for work again after just a couple of years.

50one
05-07-2018, 01:52 AM
Haven't had a permanent job in over two decades which really sucks! I kept getting told that there is no work for me here and I should emigrate to America. That's a great thing to hear at the job interview!!

Sitting outside waiting for the interview is also interesting as I'm usually surrounded by people half my age, fresh out of college, with everything still fresh in their head. I do a LOT of home studies, I keep myself up to date as best I can, but I've lost hope of finding a job here. I've even baffled four career advisors who didn't know what to do with me!! LOL!!!

LOL! You know that's almost similar thing I heard on last two interviews, market is tight in Scotland.

Apart from that, upon showing my demoreel and other animations, been asked can I edit videos(facepalm) 'no, all those anomations and reel edited themselves" ffs.

ConjureBunny
05-10-2018, 06:19 AM
I interviewed at a company in Austin who made anti-virus software. They wanted to know how I'd make a virus for the Mac. I was eager to impress them, and I knew a few vulnerabilities that I'd probably use if I absolutely needed to. So I start to describe them, and then I notice the guys in the room next to us are sitting awfully still. They had the speakerphone on, and were taking notes. So I told them I'd write down the answer. I wrote down the most complicated problems I couldn't solve, and put arrows from one to the next. Then I left. A week later I get a call back from them and in the series of fake "follow up questions", they asked specifically how I'd solve one of the problems I gave them. It was a huge scam to figure out how to write a Mac virus so they could make 'anti-virus' software for it. That company is still around, they make PC security software. I forget the name, but if I remember it I'll come drop that in. I think they had a blue shield as a logo, and most recently I saw they were making products for Best Buy.

About two years ago I interviewed at a company called Avai Mobile in Austin. On my resume I mentioned that I had written a GPS mapping app for the San Antonio Zoo. At the end of the interview, one of the guys there asked if I would mind if they called the zoo to talk to them about it. He seemed really nervous about the question, so I told him that yes I would mind, since that app was still in development. When I got home, I **** thee not, I got a call from my friends at the zoo, telling me congrats on the job and that they had signed up with Avai for a year contract. Avai never called me back. They were just poaching from people's resumes. In my case, they had their salespeople call WHILE I was at the interview! I'm still mad about that one.

-Chilton

50one
05-19-2018, 04:25 AM
^ That's just mental!