PDA

View Full Version : modeler place mesh

Obi
12-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Hello,

Merry Christmas, I'm the new ...;) and I'm looking for explanations about the command place mesh of LW, the doc is ... shabby no video, there is a little trick surely that escapes me .. then if a charitable soul can enlighten me the subject.

a +

Ma3rk
12-25-2017, 03:42 PM
I've never used it but kinda cool tool now that I tried it. Are you using LW 2015.x? In the PDF for it, look on page 1463.

In essence you have an object in the BG that will get cloned onto each poly of the forground object. Have your Numeric panel open (Usually just the N key) and you can then enter params.

You'll see an orange circle with a normal indicator that allows youto place individually clones wherever you want, or click the Populate button to do every poly.

prometheus
12-25-2017, 04:05 PM
You have to be aware of that the object you clone, needs to be rested on ground, that is have its bottom polygons at y origin, so best is to not use F2 but to use F3.

I unfortunately do not think itīs as impressive as I first thought it was, it can place a mesh on a model polygons normal, and scale and rotate..yes, but it should be in layout for full power really, and with instances option as well, and to note, if you click populate, it will turn and twist your clone object..which most often isnīt desireable, it will not adapt a proper rotation to follow the underlying polygon, there are better tools for that like mg clone.

hypersuperduper
12-25-2017, 05:53 PM
It has its uses. But mostly for manually placing meshes. Populate isn’t very useful. One neat thing is that If you have more than one background layer it will alternate which it places.

Greenlaw
12-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Oh, geez. I almost forgot about that one. I used Place Mesh in a ton of B-movie productions a few years ago, to place riviets and nurnies on aircraft, spacecraft, rocket sleds, machinery, and a robot shark. It worked great but I guess I haven't had to do that kind of modeling for a while.

Somewhat related: There's an older plugin I used called Random Cloner for Modeler. That one worked kinda like Instancer in Layout, except it was for Modeler. I used the tool in video game trailers and commercials, for placing rubble in Call of Duty environments, to create a field of swords and banners for Ninja Gaiden, and to cover birds with feathers. For the latter, an artist I worked with discovered that if we made a morph target to angle up a feather, we could ruffle the birds' feathers in animation. The last time I used RC was to cover the surface of an object with points to use as a emitter for the Flocking tool.

I haven't used Random Cloner for a while but I tested it in Modeler 2018 the other day, and it still works! There's a companion Layout tool that works with RC called Face2Cam, which works well too. I used it to make quick forests and desert scenes using carded elements, which was super quick to do and looked suprisingly credible.

I guess I haven't used Random Cloner so much since LightWave got instancing and Steve Hurley came out with Advanced Placement, but I think RC can still be useful if you need to lay stuff out in Modeler.

jeric_synergy
12-25-2017, 11:02 PM
or click the Populate button to do every poly.
To be horribly pedantically accurate, "every SELECTED poly", with the usual convention. "For the noobs."

This tool seems to be a real LHF, in that one can easily imagine all sorts of enhancements. (But should they be made, or is that just more tool clutter and duplication?) Like, eg, a mode where it populates the POINTS of the selected polys rather than the centroid.

CaptainMarlowe
12-26-2017, 03:18 AM
I model a lot of historical monuments. Place mesh is really great to place on a repetititve way details like machicolations, chemneys, and so on. I even found myself on my last project use it more often than the box tool in LWCAD.

Obi
12-26-2017, 04:10 AM
Hello,
I forgot to use the layers.:o
For my second attempt, I can not stick the cones on the sphere.

keys 'Prometheus' f2 f3 on PC?

thank you for your answers, I see that I have professionals in 3D.

prometheus
12-26-2017, 04:57 AM
Hello,
I forgot to use the layers.:o
For my second attempt, I can not stick the cones on the sphere.

keys 'Prometheus' f2 f3 on PC?

thank you for your answers, I see that I have professionals in 3D.

As I mentioned earlier, you have to make sure your cone bottom polygon is aligned to the y origin, that is ..use rest to ground "F3" Before you run place mesh.

hypersuperduper
12-26-2017, 04:57 AM
What makes place mesh good is that it provides a nice balance of manual control with automation. You can quicky plonk out meshes onto a surface with normal alignment and effortlessly scale and rotate them around the surface normal. Populate is less useful brmecause it basically does what you can do with instances in layout but with less control and destructively.

prometheus
12-26-2017, 05:05 AM
place mesh may be useful for placing things that arenīt supposed to be uniform or just a few placed meshes, as hypersuperduper mentioned, but for populating it is poorly implemented, improvement would be to allow it to populate properly on polygons without twisting the rotatian of the mesh, and adding point option as mentioned as well.

Otherwise, you have all that covered with Mike Greens Free and great plugin called mg clone, It works on points as well as polygons and without twisting the mesh when "populating"...

in this case, after selecting some row points, I use select nth to select ever other point, then running the mg clone on those points only to place rivets.

http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscripts.html
http://www.mikegreen.name/Files/MGUltimateCloneMD.zip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbPJNgZCXwM

prometheus
12-26-2017, 05:44 AM
To note, if it had been in layout, it would have been way more powerful than in modeler in my opinion, as it is now, they did it for modeler..while leaving someome else to create a pretty expensive tool for it in layout called advanced placement.
otherwise it can be used for placing rocks and trees in modeler on ground areas with a good control, but only to a certain limit of meshes and a certain limit of subdiv patches in modeler before it will become too sluggish.

Obi
12-26-2017, 06:26 AM
thank you very much http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/thanks/thanks-smiley-emoticon.gif