PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas!

Snosrap
12-23-2017, 01:49 PM
Merry Christmas all! Made with LW, Vegas, Hitfilm, Photoshop, Marvelous Designer and Chronosculpt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHd_cUkUZQk

https://vimeo.com/248265487

I was working on an arch vis project in early December so I used some of the assets to create this Christmas greeting.

I started by modeling a staircase, ceiling lamp and a few Christmas objects.

I then made a low res proxy of the steps and handrail so I could simulate a garland "ribbon" in Marvelous Designer. In MD I made a small strip (1m or so) and pinned one end to the top of the rail and pinned the other end down a few banisters and ran the sim. I then stretched out the ribbon in the 2D pattern window another meter or so and pinned it down a few steps and ran the sim again. I repeated this all the way to the bottom.

Once I was done with the MD simulation I saved the "ribbon" as an .obj and brought it into Layout and applied over 700 instances of a piece of garland to it. I also instanced a Christmas ball to it as well and used a gradient with a instance info as an input to vary the color of the balls. I also "cloned instanced" a few balls and garland to fill in some spots.

I then used the low res proxy of the steps to create a Bullet sim in LW and saved out MDD files.

Chronosculpt was used to make the sim "behave". :) Great tool for that kind of stuff.

Back in LW, this time with the complete model and lighting setup I applied the MDD's and rendered out a "Quick Shade" sequence.

In Vegas I began compiling and editing the "QuickShade" frames. I did this so I could keep the project moving while my beauty frames were rendering on the farm. (15 minutes per frame - so it took awhile.:)) And once the beauty frames were done I just replaced the "QuickShade" frames in the media bin.

I also did some look dev work in Hitfilm with some full test renders so I could just drop the sequence in and go once the farm was done and final frames edited in Vegas.

I made some quick text in PS to add to the end of the animation.

Finally when the farm was done rendering I replaced all the proxies in Vegas and rendered out an uncompressed .avi with sound and brought it into Hitfim and copied my previous settings to the new content added a quick dissolve to the beginning and the end and rendered out an MP4 using default settings.

Comments and crits always welcomed.

Ma3rk
12-23-2017, 02:09 PM
If you'd made it just a tad bit shakier, I would have totally bought is as phone footage.

Chronosculpt was used to make the sim "behave". :) Great tool for that kind of stuff.

Will have to keep that in mind. Have it but never used it.

Paul_Boland
12-23-2017, 03:09 PM
Snosrap, kind of a creepy Christmas Greeting! Seems it's the theme this year because here's the Christmas card I sent out this year ;).

Snosrap
12-23-2017, 04:00 PM
If you'd made it just a tad bit shakier, I would have totally bought is as phone footage.
Will have to keep that in mind. Have it but never used it.

Thanks - Chronosculpt is an interesting app and very useful and easy to use. Needs some updates or just needs to be put in LW.

Snosrap, kind of a creepy Christmas Greeting! Seems it's the theme this year because here's the Christmas card I sent out this year ;).

Wow - that is creepy. :)

Farhad_azer
12-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Merry christmas to christian brothers and sisters around the globe.
Thanks Snosrap.

Schwyhart
12-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Merry Christmas everyone! And an especially Happy New Year!

Snosrap
12-25-2017, 10:30 AM
Thanks!

Dodgy
12-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Merry Christmas to you all!

Sensei
12-25-2017, 07:43 PM
Why did you call it "crazy home"? It should rather be a "haunted home".. ;)

Comments and crits always welcomed.

Where is exorcist.. ? ;)

Merry Christmas!

Sensei
12-25-2017, 07:45 PM
Merry christmas to christian brothers and sisters around the globe.

It's very kind of you. Thank you.

JamesCurtis
12-25-2017, 08:03 PM
Yes, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Snosrap
12-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Why did you call it "crazy home"? It should rather be a "haunted home".. ;)

Where is exorcist.. ? ;)

Merry Christmas!

:) Yeah, the kids are rough housing in the adjacent room. ;)

jperk
12-26-2017, 06:42 PM
Nice to see some of your recent lw work Snosrap ! Hope you had a good christmas!

GandB
12-26-2017, 08:27 PM
Merry Christmas! Didn't notice this till now.