PDA

View Full Version : How many bug reports do you submit?

lardbros
12-22-2017, 04:20 PM
I've often wondered, how many bug reports to people submit in a month? Or there abouts? And what kind of quality, or steps do they provide to reproduce the problem?

I've submitted hundreds of bug reports and feature requests and had tonnes of them closed, but many people here mention bugs, or crashes with LightWave, and it crashes all the time...but I wondered if they ever get submitted with content and simple steps to produce it?

jeric_synergy
12-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Of course it depends, but back when I was an active user I'd guess at LEAST one a week.

Suggestions I can generate continuously. Repeatable bugs with sample files take QUITE a while longer.

lardbros
12-23-2017, 01:49 AM
It does take time, that's the slightly annoying thing. Sometimes it can take hours to nail a bug down and make simple steps and content but if it's not done, we won't get those bugs shut down.

I guess I just wondered how many people mention bugs and crashes, but never report it. It DEFINITELY works!

gar26lw
12-23-2017, 06:43 AM
i think that it’s most likely that a lot dont report bugs but do choose to mention them on the forums.

even though this isn’t the best policy, i think, imho, it is worth the time for someone on nt dev team to note these issues in the appropriate place for devs to take a look at/consider for future updates.

lardbros
12-23-2017, 07:17 AM
I agree. I think alot of people think that if they mention it on the forum, it will get fixed. Unfortunately it's not the case... Or hardly ever.
There aren't enough staff to spend time trawling the forums for bugs, and then trying to reproduce them, and create steps.

Just saying that if people take the time to submit bugs that they find, the software automatically becomes bug free. There are some bugs that are really really tough to reproduce, but with everyone here using it every day, there will always be bugs found... But they won't ever be fixed unless they are reported.

Its a privilege to have bugs fixed I think... I've reported numerous bugs to Autodesk, for major 3dsmax problems, and do you know what they said to me?
I didn't have a support contact :)

We do have support now, but still, not had a single one of my bugs fixed... They've been in 3dsmax for a decade, still exist, and look like they won't ever get sorted.

gar26lw
12-23-2017, 07:22 AM
what might help would be to have a sub forum specifically for bugs.

regarding max- wow, that’s bad

jeric_synergy
12-23-2017, 11:46 AM
I guess I just wondered how many people mention bugs and crashes, but never report it. It DEFINITELY works!
I try to report every bug I ****** about on the forum, if I'm sure it's a bug. Sometimes the problem is between the chair and the keyboard.

When I make an official, LWG User Account (guys, that's where it is, if you were wondering) bug report, I try to have a fully repeatable bug, preferably with sample files. Best is if I can repeat the bug over different LW sessions, since sometimes it seems like relaunching resets something, gets more memory, whatevz.

Documentation "bugs" are easier to report, and SHOULD BE SUBMITTED AS BUGS, which is what LWG wants. OTOH, it's kinda pointless if we have to wait YEARS between documentation updates (I think it should be monthly).

what might help would be to have a sub forum specifically for bugs.
Meh. I figure that's what General Support is for. OTOH, "Known Bugs", confirmed by LWG, would be helpful, and lessen the "pounding forehead against desk" factor.

+++++++++++
FWIW, when I hit "SHOW ALL REPORTS" on my LWG account page, there are seven pages of bug reports/feature requests.

SBowie
12-23-2017, 08:33 PM
even though this isn’t the best policy, i think, imho, it is worth the time for someone on nt dev team to note these issues in the appropriate place for devs to take a look at/consider for future updates.And they probably do, but the fact is it's often very hard indeed to debug something with the sort of descriptions that are provided in the forums. What is needed are repeatable steps to reliably reproduce the problem, and sometimes, direct communication with those who are experiencing it. Trying to diagnose a specific problem in here would be roughly akin to a doctor trying to diagnose a patient's illness in the waiting room at emergency, with everyone present shouting out their favorite symptoms at the same time.

madno
12-23-2017, 10:47 PM
I wrote 14 tickets from 2010 to 2015.
Some bugs and some feature requests regarding the UI (High DPI compatibility, etc.)
Five of those tickets are closed.
The ones related to the UI and some other ones are open till today.
Let's see, if I upgrade, I might restart the plead to get a Lightwave that scales with high dpi devices.

jeric_synergy
12-23-2017, 11:13 PM
FWIW, I often get requests for more info and/or clarification when I submit bug reports.... well, huh, that doesn't reflect very well on me, but it shows they are paying attention to bug reports.

Not so much on feature requests. ;) :cry::bangwall:

gar26lw
12-24-2017, 02:09 AM
And they probably do, but the fact is it's often very hard indeed to debug something with the sort of descriptions that are provided in the forums. What is needed are repeatable steps to reliably reproduce the problem, and sometimes, direct communication with those who are experiencing it. Trying to diagnose a specific problem in here would be roughly akin to a doctor trying to diagnose a patient's illness in the waiting room at emergency, with everyone present shouting out their favorite symptoms at the same time.

lol, you make a good point.

Kryslin
12-25-2017, 06:38 PM
I try to report the ones I can repeat, without 3rd party plugins. Otherwise, the reply is along the lines of "Take it up with the 3rd party, not our problem."