PDA

View Full Version : LW 2018 physical sky

matts152
12-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Will LW 2018 have a new physical sky model to go with new PBR workflow / render engine?

gar26lw
12-20-2017, 06:21 PM
i don’t think so but i think matt said it was in the works.

prometheus
12-22-2017, 07:49 AM
Most certainly not..and as mentioned..Matt said that Antti is working on it or have looked at it.
What is more important because of that..we do not know if dp sunsky is working still as a basic cover of that kind of thing...if not, I would probably not even think of upgrading.

There is also a another thread about it...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155376-Sky-system

hrgiger
12-22-2017, 08:35 AM
That seems like a fundamental feature if you're making a new renderer.

prometheus
12-22-2017, 12:33 PM
That seems like a fundamental feature if you're making a new renderer.

Agree totally, I was a bit stumbled when they didnīt showed the new (Linos cloud samples)volumetrics against a better sky model than pitch black, the new volumetric items showcased by Antii...is against grey as grey can be.
These showcases donīt do justice to either what can be used in terms of sky backdrop environment, nor does it show in a good way the quality of the volumetrics density, thickness smoothness at the edge rim of the volumetric item.

Since there doesnīt seem to be a new physical sky, I can only hope that the dp_sunsky still works, it may be broken though..which scares me a bit, it may be possible that Antii may be able to actually deal with it and throw it in the lw 2018 release, Even if it wasnīt quite finished yet...I do hope that some of that may be true.

If not..
I wouldnīt even be close to get anything near this ...despite over two years of development of the next lightwave, and this sample isnīt exactly state of the art either if you compare to what is out there..
Over the years..I have been repeating myself quite a lot in these forums, that Lightwave needs a skysystem as companion to Any new volumetric system, if not ..it will be a crippled system not good for what it should be good for really...If newtek..Lw team listened enough and took it seriously..I do not know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4hTm0xjpis