PDA

View Full Version : Buildings from Google Earth into Lightwave

adrian
12-20-2017, 03:48 AM
Hi is it possible to export geometry from Google Earth Pro into LightWave? I am modelling buildings from a small section of a city scene and it would be SO much easier if I could have some imported models to use as reference.

Alternatively is there a way to do the same into 3ds Max 2017, Maya 2017 or Trimble Sketchup Make which I have access to at work. From these I'm thinking I can save object as .obj or .3ds and then import into LW.

Also it seems my version of Google Earth Pro does not give me proper 3d views, ie the views are all "flat" and from above even if I have Sightseeing Tour and 3D buildings checked. I've seen some YouTube tutorials where the camera view can actually fly around buildings? Even if I could do this, this would make my life so much easier as I could see the buildings properly in order to model them.

:help:

Thanks!

OFF
12-20-2017, 05:17 AM
A few years ago, it was possible, but current versions of Google do not allow to extract 3D models.

souzou
12-20-2017, 06:12 AM
C4D has a great plugin called DEM Earth (https://cinemaplugins.com/c4d-plugins/dem-earth/) which includes elevation data. I think it pulls in DEM files from sources online, it may be you could find a relevant elevation file and pull in to something like Terragen to export an obj? Googled this: http://vterrain.org/Locations/int.html

Just thinking off the top of my head (I'm guessing someone else has probably done this before and might be able to help more).

SteveH
12-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Adrian - you need Sketch UP Pro license to extract terrain with aerial images UV'd to them. But the terrain is VERY low resolution now. It used to be much better. I use Infraworks to grab terrain and buildings now (yes I know it's an Autodesk evil empire product!). It works really well and you can get higher resolution images mapped as well.

As far as 'seeing' 3D terrain in Google Earth, make sure you have terrain checked. That option is at the very bottom on layers. If that still doesn't work try going to street view, then exit street view and the 3D terrain and buildings should be visible. I hoope this helps and good luck on your project!

adrian
12-20-2017, 08:19 AM
Thanks, it certainly doesn't appear to be straightforward. I found a tutorial that uses something called 3DRipperDX but that only works with an older version of 3ds Max and I only have access to 2017 at work. That plugin above looks very neat, not sure whether it'll do individual buildings though.

As far as the 3D buildings within Google Earth. I think they are few and far between, ie I went to the Eiffel Tower and there were some there but most buildings on the map were just flat images. Certainly none on the area I want to model.

adrian
12-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Adrian - you need Sketch UP Pro license to extract terrain with aerial images UV'd to them. But the terrain is VERY low resolution now. It used to be much better. I use Infraworks to grab terrain and buildings now (yes I know it's an Autodesk evil empire product!). It works really well and you can get higher resolution images mapped as well.

As far as 'seeing' 3D terrain in Google Earth, make sure you have terrain checked. That option is at the very bottom on layers. If that still doesn't work try going to street view, then exit street view and the 3D terrain and buildings should be visible. I hoope this helps and good luck on your project!

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately we don't have sketch up Pro at work, just the "make" version.

SteveH
12-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Adrian - check your inbox