PDA

View Full Version : Hobbyist looking at Lightwave

Soulcatch
12-18-2017, 03:24 PM
Been looking at Lightwave since they announced Lightwave Next. But I have some questions and concerns.

- Can you install LW on two separate machines. I'd like to have a dedicated render machine so I am not having to reserve my main PC while the render happens.
- Are there enough users that there will be current YouTube, Twitch, etc. videos out to help with the learning curve.
- Does the Plugin database still have people who use LW or have they moved on?
- I model in Zbrush, I hear a GoZ is being worked on, but there is no ETA, will that be soonish or far down the road?

TIA
SC

cagey5
12-18-2017, 03:52 PM
I could probably have a stab at answering some of this but someone more qualified will be along shortly. Until then some music
https://youtu.be/VBlFHuCzPgY

hypersuperduper
12-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Yes. You can install on multiple machines no problem.

There are still users, but it’s not blender. Since there is a new version however there will likely be an uptick in videos and user tutorials for a while at least. And there is quite a lot out there already.

Plugin situation seems pretty good to me. Most of the heavy hitters seem to be on board the new version.

GoZ for lightwave exists already I think. Not sure about the state of it though.

Download a demo when 2018 comes out and see if it works for you.

hypersuperduper
12-18-2017, 04:01 PM
I could probably have a stab at answering some of this but someone more qualified well be along shortly. Until then some music
https://youtu.be/VBlFHuCzPgY
Or... less qualified and wordier.

cagey5
12-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Lol. I'm not so sure about that. Whenever I attempt to answer general questions like this someone always pipes up with a more succinct and helpful suggestion shortly afterwards. So now I just sit on the sidelines as a last resort but am never required as people are generally more than willing to help... As you've just shown. :)

MonroePoteet
12-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Yes. You can install on multiple machines no problem.

You can install on multiple machines but only use the interface(s) on one machine simulatenously (the 2nd copy of Layout or Modeler comes up in "Discovery Mode" with limitations). I don't know how LW2018 does distributed rendering, but with LW2015.3 you can use ScreamerNet (LWSN) and the Network Render panel to direct a render being done on another computer or set of computers. Personally, I haven't tried doing Lightwave creation (modeling, scene setup) while orchestrating a network render, so I don't know how much the Network Panel monitoring of remote render nodes degrades the performance.

Setting up LWSN is a little cumbersome, but it works very well once it's done.

mTp

MonroePoteet
12-18-2017, 05:15 PM
RE: Lightwave for the hobbyist - if you're an "experimenter", I can't recommend LW enough. There are HUGE potentials "behind the scenes" that LW artists have been using for decades to create advanced effects, albeit with some real sweat-of-the-brow and experimentation. If you want a Big Button that says "Create Me An Award-Winning Special Effect", not so much.

mTp

Ma3rk
12-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Been looking at Lightwave since they announced Lightwave Next. But I have some questions and concerns.

- Can you install LW on two separate machines. I'd like to have a dedicated render machine so I am not having to reserve my main PC while the render happens.
- Are there enough users that there will be current YouTube, Twitch, etc. videos out to help with the learning curve.
- I model in Zbrush, I hear a GoZ is being worked on, but there is no ETA, will that be soonish or far down the road?

TIA
SC

A few others have answered a couple of your questions already with regards to multiple machines.

There are quite a few folk in the woodwork still that use LW, tons of resources (this forum being one of the best in fact), plenty of Youtube vids, etc.

I use 3DCoat along with Lightwave as UV work is one of it's weaker points. Perhaps with the 2018 release that'll change. Seems I've seen a number of ZBrush users here so perhaps one of them will speak up. The Fusion Plug-ins for Poser to Lightwave works quite now well as does FBX export out of DAZ 4.9, although in each case, a bit of fairly simple housekeeping is still needed in some cases.

pauland
12-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Soulcatch, what do you intend to do with the software?

What made you interested in LW in the first place?

Soulcatch
12-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Soulcatch, what do you intend to do with the software?

What made you interested in LW in the first place?

Mostly I am looking for a program to build sets for models that I make in Zbrush. For example a spaceport to land a ship on with some vfx for fuel lines or exhaust ports etc. Also a strobe light for a landing light. Things like that.

Simple animations with background effects.

For the multiple machines I'd like to setup the whole project on my main machine, save it to a folder and then copy that folder to a second machine and then launch it from there and begin to render it. Meanwhile I can game or watch netflix etc on my main machine.

PS Cagey5 nice music. I almost expected a rick roll.

jperk
12-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Yes, a lot of LW users use a combo of ZBrush and LW. LW is good for hard surface modeling and scene layout. You can't beat LWs price at the moment.

roboman
12-18-2017, 07:48 PM

You don't even want the entire program running on your render nodes. You just run the render program on the render node and can control it from the main program and send jobs to it. I believe it supports 99 render nodes and talk is that the new program will support more.

c.1
12-18-2017, 08:41 PM
Fellow hobbyist here and I have to say, the people on this forum rock and LW is pretty fk’n great to work with.
Sure there are limitations and such, but add a couple plugins as you need or maybe 3dcoat and your world expands.
Plus you can “take the piss” out of Newtek every once in a while and nobody gets too stressed, everybody (almost) has a sense of humour and even Mr Bowie lets the odd OT post slide if its not too offensive.
I have tried Blender and it just hasn’t taken hold yet no matter how much I wish it would.

CaptainMarlowe
12-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Hobbyist here too, and according to what you describe, Lightwave should do the job without problem. As for using another machine for rendering, you can fire your render through screamer net as it has been said before, and LW 2018 comes with a new controler for this. You can also model another model while rendering a scene because of the split apps. About the render nodes, you have 999 possible nodes in LW, almost unlimited. I for one am very excited with the new render controller because I could keep my current mac for modeling and setting up my scenes, and buy porgressively a couple of boxes dedicated to rendering, if it happens to be easier than with previous SN controller.

gar26lw
12-18-2017, 10:44 PM
Mostly I am looking for a program to build sets for models that I make in Zbrush. For example a spaceport to land a ship on with some vfx for fuel lines or exhaust ports etc. Also a strobe light for a landing light. Things like that.

Simple animations with background effects.

For the multiple machines I'd like to setup the whole project on my main machine, save it to a folder and then copy that folder to a second machine and then launch it from there and begin to render it. Meanwhile I can game or watch netflix etc on my main machine.

PS Cagey5 nice music. I almost expected a rick roll.

if you get splashtop streamer you can control lightwave from your ipad.

- - - Updated - - -

Fellow hobbyist here and I have to say, the people on this forum rock and LW is pretty fk’n great to work with.
Sure there are limitations and such, but add a couple plugins as you need or maybe 3dcoat and your world expands.
Plus you can “take the piss” out of Newtek every once in a while and nobody gets too stressed, everybody (almost) has a sense of humour and even Mr Bowie lets the odd OT post slide if its not too offensive.
I have tried Blender and it just hasn’t taken hold yet no matter how much I wish it would.

that should be part of the marketing material. :D

samurai_x
12-18-2017, 11:07 PM
If you're a hobbyist not looking for work, there are two better alternatives. Blender and Modo indie on steam.

gar26lw
12-18-2017, 11:32 PM
i’d say if you like to tinker, have a penchant for space scenes and just generally enjoy fiddling around creating cool renders, then lightwave would be a good fit.
if you just want a cheap option and prefer to do a bit of everything then blender.

IanRT
12-18-2017, 11:52 PM
I find Lightwave to be very straightforward, simple interface with very few buttons to distract. Many other programs appear to be needlessly complicated.

hypersuperduper
12-18-2017, 11:53 PM
Never used modo indie, so I can’t opine, but as for blender...

Blender is great and is obviously the most economical solution, but it is probably not a better choice for making/shooting sets for Zbrush models than lightwave. Prior to 2018 maybe, but now that both have modern renderers you are talking about a job that is pretty much right in the sweet spot for lightwave. Setting up scenes is really nice in this software. And it’s toolsets are well suited to environment work. Also with blender it’s never either/or. Just get it, and see if you like it. Even if you don’t it will always give you access to the latest cool stuff.

But as the op is clearly someone who is willing to spend some money on a hobby, lightwave is not a bad choice. This January is a perfect opportunity to give a trial version a whirl. The forum will be buzzing with excited lightwave users and people eager to share stuff. And there is something about this software that keeps people coming back despite all rational reasons not to. It’s hard to put your finger on it but it’s there.

Marander
12-19-2017, 12:12 AM
I find Lightwave to be very straightforward, simple interface with very few buttons to distract. Many other programs appear to be needlessly complicated.

Wait until you do more than simple stuff, then most other apps get easier and more efficient while LW gets clunky and inefficient. Tons of redundant tools, floating dialog boxes everywhere.

hypersuperduper
12-19-2017, 12:55 AM
Wait until you do more than simple stuff, then most other apps get easier and more efficient while LW gets clunky and inefficient. Tons of redundant tools, floating dialog boxes everywhere. all of those floating dialog boxes can be opened and closed as needed, and the hotkeys for them become second nature. I never work with the scene editor open for example unless I am working in the scene editor. Same goes for the graph editor, motion options, and item properties, material editor etc. People complain about this but it has never bothered me. I actually prefer it to the trend towards docked windows and workspaces.

No program gets easier and more efficient when you have more complicated stuff. But many apps deal with complications better than lightwave. redundant tools and floating dialog boxes have little to do with that. I would argue that 50% of lightwaves issues concerning clunkiness in complicated scenes is that visibility is not inherited by children. So you can’t just hide a whole branch like in Maya. You must select everything.

The other 50% is due to lightwave’s inability to really instance/reference node networks, motions, and stuff like that. Just objects materials and hierarchies. But for many use cases, among them environments, this is a fine trade off and lightwaves existing instancing system is well suited.

Marander
12-19-2017, 02:25 AM
all of those floating dialog boxes can be opened and closed as needed, and the hotkeys for them become second nature. I never work with the scene editor open for example unless I am working in the scene editor. Same goes for the graph editor, motion options, and item properties, material editor etc. People complain about this but it has never bothered me. I actually prefer it to the trend towards docked windows and workspaces.

No program gets easier and more efficient when you have more complicated stuff. But many apps deal with complications better than lightwave. redundant tools and floating dialog boxes have little to do with that. I would argue that 50% of lightwaves issues concerning clunkiness in complicated scenes is that visibility is not inherited by children. So you can’t just hide a whole branch like in Maya. You must select everything.

The other 50% is due to lightwave’s inability to really instance/reference node networks, motions, and stuff like that. Just objects materials and hierarchies. But for many use cases, among them environments, this is a fine trade off and lightwaves existing instancing system is well suited.

Fair enough, you got some good points there, I agree. I must admit in LW I only used shortcuts for the tools and navigation, not for the panels (occasionally p and of course n for numeric, but not many others).

But what I have noticed in tutorials is that lots of time gets wasted by moving around those dialog boxes.

In other apps that have context sensitive dialogs, they can be docked to the side or wherever you want them, you can undock them, lock them (so they don't change when changing the context / object) or duplicate them and so on.

gar26lw
12-19-2017, 02:39 AM
I would argue that 50% of lightwaves issues concerning clunkiness in complicated scenes is that visibility is not inherited by children. So you can’t just hide a whole branch like in Maya. You must select everything.

yep. @matt, could you consider having a look at these points in the future please?

gar26lw
12-19-2017, 02:43 AM
In other apps that have context sensitive dialogs, they can be docked to the side or wherever you want them, you can undock them, lock them (so they don't change when changing the context / object) or duplicate them and so on.

yeah, lightwave layout could really do with the ability to have multiple properties panels open, one can be locked to a particular selection, like in xsi or unity.

this is why i think, imho, a blend of xsi and lightwave in the ui could be something really quite nice.

DogBoy
12-19-2017, 04:20 AM

TIA
SC

1) Yeah you can. 2018 comes with a very simple app for sending render jobs to other machines for rendering. Traditionally LW provided 999 render nodes, so one or two shouldn't be an issue ;)
2) There is a lot of legacy videos floating around that should still be applicable, and several people upload videos regularly (some are more useful than others) and cover the full gamut of beginner to advanced tutelage.
3) The plug-in database is ran by NT/LW3DG, and so some of the sites it links to may disappear without their knowledge. Plug-In devs come and go. That is the risk of any 3rd party developer, no matter the software. There maybe a period when after LW2018 is released where there will be a lot of layout-based plug-ins that break, due to major architectural changes. Some will be fixed, some won't.
4) GoZ is already there, but there maybe issues (I've not used it for quite a while).

prometheus
12-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Lightwave is great for space stuff, easy to work with and fast renders and setup ..and not to confusing in interface, though I wouldnīt exactly recommend it for hobbyist in general, it depends on if you further down the road can see yourself working in the 3d field ..and in what type of Genre, and how wealthy you are or how you disposition your money for hobbies, otherwise I would recommend blender for hobbiest today, the price..and the features it has and the upcoming releases with realtime evee engine and the sorts is amazing.

Blender is just as capable of producing certain sets as Lightwave I would say, itīs just in my opinion much harder to learn and like in regards to the UI, and it may not perform as fast with volumetrics or with huge poly scenes, and I really do not like navigate in blender with the camera and lights ..or set those things up, with lightwave Itīs more like the best "Movie Stage" where things are easy to find and in fixed places, that means, camera, light and object...unlike blender or modo where they are located in a list ..and where they are in that list may depend on which stuff you got else in there, and by default I always have thought lightwave has the largest full viewport while not having to hide the tools, you can have large views of course in blender and in modo, but itīs not in the same way as with lightwave somehow..considering itīs structure in the ui which takes up little space without ever having to organize or scale the menus.
VPR is also one of the faster full scale viewports interactive views Ivé come across when rendering iterative.

blender is free and will most certainly take some time to learn and feel good about, while I believe you will find lightwave to be easier to adapt..but itīs individual to a large part, just download the demos for lightwave.

Vids will most likely show up more and more with the new release as well, and plugins will be there for quite a while still working for modeler, and some for layout..though there hasnīt been much added of new plugins for quite a while now in the plugin database, but that could be the case of that no one dared to work much on anything until the silence was broken recently.

Hereīs a recreation of the old star trek into, where the ship flyes by a gas field and pushes it, in the original series that was made with lightwave and hypervoxels, in this fan made Lightwave recreation ..he used the fluid system turbulenceFD instead, though that comes at a much more additional cost, blender has fluids natively, and I am sure you can do similar stuff, though setting it up and rendering is probably much easier and faster if you got lightwave and turbulenceFD....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sns1Xj6L-Qc

sk810
12-19-2017, 01:29 PM
You could actually continue to work if you just turn the network off on the rendering machine. Another option I would recommend for you is setting up a simple render farm. LW comes with unlimited LWSN render nodes, but the existing bundled Screemernet Render Farm software is difficult to use. Their are quite a few commercial render farm apps that will let you use 2-3 nodes for free. What's nice is you could start up your main machine at night if need be to add to the render farm.

Here are the few I tested out earlier this year (for LW 2015). I would hope they will be updated in the near future for LW 2018.

RenderPal (Mac & PC) - I think this was the easiest to setup.
http://www.renderpal.com/

DreamLight Constellation 2.0 (Mac & PC)
http://dreamlight.com/dreamlight-constellation-2-0-released/

Amleto (PC) - open source
http://virtualcoder.co.uk/amleto/