PDA

View Full Version : LW 2018 PBR renderer

Snosrap
12-18-2017, 11:20 AM
From the few videos that I have seen floating around the web it looks as if the new renderer is of the "bucket" variety vs. scanline. If this is indeed true shouldn't this be a big help in rendering out super hi-res images? I understand that "bucket" renderers are fairly memory efficient, what are some of the other benefits?

mattc
12-18-2017, 07:07 PM
Tile rendering (as opposed to buckets), I'm told, though Antti or Matt could tell you more.

Snosrap
12-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Tile rendering (as opposed to buckets), I'm told, though Antti or Matt could tell you more.

Tile - interesting. Isn't that really the same thing? I wonder what the differences are?

gar26lw
12-18-2017, 10:34 PM
i don’t know if the new system allows for this but my hope is that it can function like old fprime3, with its mmb zoom and progressive sequence rendering

Asticles
12-19-2017, 12:24 AM
I would like also to know if it is bidirectional and has vcm.

Greenlaw
12-19-2017, 01:11 AM
Nah. I miss that too (Photoshop style zooming of FPrime.) I've simulated this using two cameras parented to a single null, one camera for zoom/panning, and one for final rendering. It an okay hack but not really the same thing of course.

Which reminds me of the first time I used this feature in FP: Way back when we worked on our first Call Of Duty commercial, I used FP to zoom in on the eye a german soldier over a mile away, and I could see the entire scene reflected back at me. That was a little freaky and super cool. :)

OlaHaldor
12-19-2017, 02:09 AM
From the few videos that I have seen floating around the web
Care to share a link or two?

DogBoy
12-19-2017, 04:30 AM
Tile - interesting. Isn't that really the same thing? I wonder what the differences are?

Buckets are an extension of Tiles AFAIK. The reason I mentioned Tiles, is most people when they hear the term Bucket render, think that you can then distribute render across a network. LW2018 can't do that.

Chris S. (Fez)
12-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Yes, "bucket" rendering would be tremendously useful for print-rez images. I'd also like to know if there is a progressive rendering mode like Fprime and Modo where we can just "cook" an image or animation for as long a deadline allows and not obsess over AA settings and such. Fprime was so ahead of its time.

calilifestyle
12-19-2017, 04:34 PM
Buckets are an extension of Tiles AFAIK. The reason I mentioned Tiles, is most people when they hear the term Bucket render, think that you can then distribute render across a network. LW2018 can't do that.

Oh thanks that's what i was thinking about the bucket rendering

gar26lw
12-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Yes, "bucket" rendering would be tremendously useful for print-rez images. I'd also like to know if there is a progressive rendering mode like Fprime and Modo where we can just "cook" an image or animation for as long a deadline allows and not obsess over AA settings and such. Fprime was so ahead of its time.

i second that regarding progressive rendering. yeah, fprime really was, it’s a shame it was killed off.