PDA

View Full Version : Thank You LW3G

hcoat
12-17-2017, 02:42 PM
I just want to say thank you to the Lightwave 3D Group.

I appreciate your efforts in working towards the continuance of Lightwave.

Even at the milestone of the Lightwave 2018 announcement, I am sure it didn't bring all the positive vibes that were probably hoped for.

I don't know the types of struggles that have ensued since the the start of LW3G. I can imagine that, internal and external, stresses and strife crept in and dull the sense of job satisfaction/appreciation.

It is known that you are a talented group of people, any of which could have sought employment elsewhere and if too many people from LW3G jumped ship Lightwave would have probably been sunk. Despite the tough times you stuck with it and now Lightwave has a visible pulse.

Thank you for not giving up.

dnch
12-17-2017, 02:51 PM
:thumbsup:

Schwyhart
12-17-2017, 02:59 PM

Kryslin
12-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Hear, hear.

I look forward to using the new Lightwave after 1 Jan 18 (Ironically, 0001 hrs GMT 01 Jan 2018 is 1801 CDT 31 Dec 2017). Thank you for getting this to release. I can't wait to see what you've done!

TheLexx
12-17-2017, 03:19 PM
At the risk of becoming an "us thanking you thanking us thanking them thanking each other" type thing, yes totally agreed. :)

Just in perspective alone, this year we had Bugzilla's (now classic) post-mortem "What Killed Lightwave?" :jester: and only six days ago we had the thread "20 days till the death of lw ?" Yet LW2018 will arrive in just two weeks from now. I'll be honest, the schoolkid in me does find a certain hliarious quality about the understated manner of release as the response. Remarkable.

Yes, thank you for not giving up. :thumbsup:

HenrikSkoglund
12-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Thank you LWGroup! :I_Love_Ne

wingzeta
12-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Yes, Thank you NT and the Lightwave staff. I'm excited to try the new version. Clearly it is a product people are passionate about. Keep your passion, and keep making Lightwave.

gar26lw
12-17-2017, 04:28 PM
we had the thread "20 days till the death of lw ?" Yet LW2018 will arrive in just two weeks from now.

hah, yeah. maybe that’s what prompted a release in 20 days? who knows? who cares? ;)

@lw devs - thanks for the efforts and the thick skin

TheLexx
12-17-2017, 04:40 PM
hah, yeah. maybe thatís what prompted a release in 20 days? who knows? who cares? ;)

thanks for the efforts and the thick skinMaybe ! I refrained from naming you gar26lw, to share the perception rather than the person. And I wouldn't begrudge Bugzilla a complimentary Xmas copy of LW2018 if NT so inclined. :)

GraphXs
12-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Indeed, LW2018 will be an amazing product! We don't only get LW 2018...but a bunch of new 3rd party updates and new tools as well! 2018 isn't even here yet and its already Awesome!! Thanks for everyones hard work, can't wait for the community to finally get it!

JamesCurtis
12-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Glad to see this happening, and of course it's thanks to LW3G and NT. Now I just need to get the money together to get LW2018, as things for me this last year or so have been frought with surgeries and misc related health issues which limited my income!

gar26lw
12-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Maybe ! I refrained from naming you gar26lw, to share the perception rather than the person. And I wouldn't begrudge Bugzilla a complimentary Xmas copy of LW2018 if NT so inclined. :)

don’t worry about it, i get the feeling i tarnished my rep by banging on about some sort of communication and update, bug fixes etc from lwg. i’m not proud of it and in hindsight feel like a douche but at the time i do feel it was justified.

erikals
12-17-2017, 06:35 PM
LightWave 2018 is PowerUp!

https://i.imgur.com/RkGBAfr.png

Thank You, especially to the Programmers!

MonroePoteet
12-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Yes, Thank You Lightwave developers! Gotta be hard to keep going in the face of incredible criticism and doubt!

mTp

OjN
12-17-2017, 07:35 PM
Thanks for a new hope :)
in this dark days of evil empires,
Lightwave 2018 looks promising...

Merry Christmas!

CaptainMarlowe
12-18-2017, 02:46 AM
At least a more optimistic thread. I sure think the devs need also to know there are people seduced by the upcoming release. I can’t wait to start using it.

kopperdrake
12-18-2017, 02:51 AM
Another thank you to all the devs, both silent and those on the forums. I'll be updating our two licences.

Have a great Christmas :D

adhesiveX
12-18-2017, 04:34 AM
Thank you LW3G!

gar26lw
12-18-2017, 05:02 AM
yep, i too will be upgrading. thanks. please keep communicating

RPSchmidt
12-18-2017, 07:31 AM
I want to add my thanks as well.

Lightwave has been my primary 3D development platform for almost seven years now. I use it in development every single day, despite the fact that we also have 3D Studio Max 2014.

When I first started learning Lightwave (coming from Maya) I felt like it was the most alien development environment that I had ever encountered (barring Blender). Now, I can't imagine a workflow where I can't use Lightwave to produce faster, cleaner results.

This is in spite of the fact that my organization has never upgraded the software and we are still using Lightwave 9.3.1 (although I purchased Lightwave 2015 for my own personal use when it came out).

Now especially with Autodesk implementing its subscription-based program, I felt like Lightwave would continue to be the answer to our development needs. Prior to the announcement of Lightwave 2018, I had finally convinced my team and "the money" to make the investment and upgrade Lightwave.

In the past few months with so much negative speculation, I was worried that I had essentially backed the "wrong horse". That ultimately, we would have to go a much more costly route. I was worried about the impact that would have on our team, both in our development pipeline and financially.

On so many levels, I appreciate the developers and Newtek's continued commitment to the product. I am excited about this release, and about the future of Lightwave.

Romizer
12-18-2017, 07:36 AM
Thanks NEWTEK!

I knew I could count on you.

jperk
12-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Thank you so much LW3G & Newtek! LW is alive! Counting down the days until Jan1st!

http://cdn.webfail.com/upl/img/c5dd84df247/feat1.jpg

SteveH
12-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Yes - I too am thankful LW isn't dead, and that this new version looks to have some terrific additions. It will take me a while to fully get over your horrendous treatment (in my opinion) of us users with your silence in the last year - but that's my problem. I can feel that way but still appreciate the hard work of the programmers and other Newtek employees who care about Lightwave and it's future. Hopefully great things will be coming in the coming years!

zogthedoomed
12-18-2017, 10:36 AM
Having just been pointed this way I thought I'd add my congratulations and a degree of empathy towards the devs.
Been an owner since LW4 when I chose it over 3DS4 (still got the boxes in the loft). That wasn't an easy decision at the time but those were the days of Bab5 and S:AAB and for the price of a 3DS lensflare plugin I could get a whole program .. that could do glows AND lensflares.
Won't say I've never regretted my decision, I work in games so LW isn't the natural choice, but I wouldn't change it.
Thanks.

lardbros
12-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Nice thread to read :) The devs deserve an awful lot of thanks... they've closed a few of my bug reports and put up with whatever nightmare situation has been going on and we get to play with a new LightWave version really soon!

All credit to the dev team, and other people behind the scenes that have worked really hard in the face of adversity!

The Dommo
12-20-2017, 08:40 PM
Indeed, thanks to the dev team!

UnCommonGrafx
12-21-2017, 04:52 AM
I agree with the thrust of this thread:
Thank you, Devs, for your continued work.
Thanks to NewTek for continuing Lightwave with this release.
It is my problem that I'm annoyed at the silence. But I am also HIGHLY GRATEFUL at the silence as it gave me time to do software comparisons and to really understand what I have.

Robert

tyrot
12-21-2017, 05:01 AM
It is my problem that I'm annoyed at the silence. But I am also HIGHLY GRATEFUL at the silence as it gave me time to do software comparisons and to really understand what I have.

Robert

this is a great post! totally agree!

gar26lw
12-21-2017, 07:01 AM
I agree with the thrust of this thread:
Thank you, Devs, for your continued work.
Thanks to NewTek for continuing Lightwave with this release.

Robert

and have you stuck with lw or started to move away?

mav3rick
12-21-2017, 07:12 AM
thanks to all devs that are still in team and to those who is not Rob and specially Lino as very talented and great artist that contribute a lott in quality test, community talk and lott of great top quality content! i cant wait to try all cool stuff Lino did for 2018! we miss you already !

Ztreem
12-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Thank you LW3DG! Because of the silence I started to explore other apps more seriously and right now I use Blender more often than LW.:thumbsup:

gar26lw
12-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Thank you LW3DG! Because of the silence I started to explore other apps more seriously and right now I use Blender more often than LW.:thumbsup:

exactly what’s been said would happen on here. it doesn’t take a genius to figure this out. whitch makes you wonder.
and i will leave the rest up to your (our) imagination.

12-21-2017, 08:41 AM
and have you stuck with lw or started to move away?

Both.
Started the move, still in motion, but always back to LW to get something done quickly. Or comfortably.

There is nothing as immediate as working in modeler. But other apps have cool ways of doing things that I hope to see adopted and LW-ized.

Looking forward to a play with 2018.

Chris S. (Fez)
12-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Anyone else had enough with the pessimism and nastiness, no matter how artfully understated? Newtek has already apologized and stated in no uncertain terms that they know they need to restore our trust. IMO it is time for us to meet them halfway or get out of the way. Be kind. Contribute something constructive, even constructive criticism, or kindly consider moving on.

I'm really looking forward to Lightwave 2018 and grateful the developers and Newtek did not give up.

sadkkf
12-21-2017, 02:48 PM
I'm pretty jazzed about 2018. Just seeing some of the 2015/2018 comparison videos on YT are enough to make me want this.

Next year is going to be fun. I shut down my business, got a 9-5 job so I have more time. Bought ZBrush and Substance and can't wait for LW.

SBowie
12-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Anyone else had enough with the pessimism and nastiness...I might know someone... :newtek:

50one
12-21-2017, 04:12 PM
Anyone else had enough with the pessimism and nastiness, no matter how artfully understated? Newtek has already apologized and stated in no uncertain terms that they know they need to restore our trust. IMO it is time for us to meet them halfway or get out of the way. Be kind. Contribute something constructive, even constructive criticism, or kindly consider moving on.

I'm really looking forward to Lightwave 2018 and grateful the developers and Newtek did not give up.

Yeah yeah yeah, you live on you bubble and make sure to believe this had happened for the first and most importantly last time...just bear in mind everytime this happens, some folks leave and there's no one to take the seat.

Chris S. (Fez)
12-21-2017, 05:42 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, you live on you bubble and make sure to believe this had happened for the first and most importantly last time...just bear in mind everytime this happens, some folks leave and there's no one to take the seat.

Meh. I'd be a Bubble Boy if I didn't use Lightwave alongside Max and Modo. Plenty of other places to vent and voice displeasure. Totally OT to this thread. Newtek should not allow it any more. Enough with the whinging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8fem_aVbgI

SBowie
12-21-2017, 06:03 PM
Quite apropos of nothing, it's often quit revealing to review someone's posting history (anyone can do this). In a few minutes, you can determine whether someone is bent on some crude or other, or is here to contribute to and benefit from the community.

kopperdrake
12-22-2017, 01:20 AM
Anyone else had enough with the pessimism and nastiness.

Absolutely, one gazillion times plus infinity. Some people just seem to have this innate desire to tell the whole world and its dog how unhappy they were/are/will be, in every thread they visit. It's monotonous, boring, and it's why I read the forums much less. Which is a shame.

Quoted for agreement :thumbsup:

50one
12-22-2017, 04:01 AM
Quite apropos of nothing, it's often quit revealing to review someone's posting history (anyone can do this). In a few minutes, you can determine whether someone is bent on some crude or other, or is here to contribute to and benefit from the community.

Well, you guys are aware that not everyone who is using X,Y,Z app or a physical product is "forced" to like everything about that app or product? I can be unhappy about features, lack of them or the general direction of development.

The fact that you and some of the users are still trying to divide the userbase - "Us - OMG! We're so happy, someone finally talked to us and again promised something" vs "whiners!" is just bloody ridiculous.

You all can sugarcoat however you like, you're just adding more fuel to the fire by all this weird tactics.

Yes, I understand. no one likes listening to same ol same ol. but maybe someone should listen to people who left, leave are unhappy because from vast majority of their post you can really get an idea when LW lacks and what should be addressed ASAP.

SBowie
12-22-2017, 04:49 AM
Well, you guys are aware that not everyone who is using X,Y,Z app or a physical product is "forced" to like everything about that app or product? I can be unhappy about features, lack of them or the general direction of development. You certainly can, and you'd be helping out to submit detailed bug reports. Apart from that, you've got a very one-sided perspective. We've been extremely open to criticism, as people are attesting. God knows we've certainly earned some. But as I said, civility is not an option. It is a matter of balance - stating one's view without offering offense. Not everyone gets it, but most do; and clearly, by the reaction in the last week or two, all but a very small and extremely vociferous handful prefer it.

And speaking of dividing the community, endless sniping doesn't accomplish a single worthwhile thing. I'm done with warnings, think what you like.

hypersuperduper
12-22-2017, 04:57 AM
Well, you guys are aware that not everyone who is using X,Y,Z app or a physical product is "forced" to like everything about that app or product? I can be unhappy about features, lack of them or the general direction of development.

The fact that you and some of the users are still trying to divide the userbase - "Us - OMG! We're so happy, someone finally talked to us and again promised something" vs "whiners!" is just bloody ridiculous.

You all can sugarcoat however you like, you're just adding more fuel to the fire by all this weird tactics.

Yes, I understand. no one likes listening to same ol same ol. but maybe someone should listen to people who left, leave are unhappy because from vast majority of their post you can really get an idea when LW lacks and what should be addressed ASAP.
Hyperbole much?
What part of meet them halfway don’t you understand?
We aren’t a bunch of sycophants. we know well and good how lousy the situation is. As well as you do at any rate.
Now Newtek has released the next version. It looks like a pretty substantial change, and the price is low enough to take a chance.

They are promising a new approach.
Do I believe them? No, honestly, not really. Old habits die hard. They need to earn our trust again. the $295 upgrade price is worth it for me just to be able to continue to leverage my lightwave know-how for another couple of years with a modern surfacing environment. If this really is the start of a new positive period of development, great! If not? oh well.

So I am happy to give Newtek the opportunity to prove they can right this ship. Stranger things have happened.

And I do think the devs deserve some kudos for getting this version out regardless of what you think of management. Actually they deserve kudos even more thanks to the galactic-level management dysfunction that they clearly have had to deal with for at least a year and probably longer.

Also this thread is called thank you lw3dg. Why stink it up with the same old poopooing? It can’t hurt to have a positive thread. God know there aren’t many on this forum.

50one
12-22-2017, 05:47 AM
change is good, as long it's a good change and most importantly persistent.

Y'all right, whining won't help, so I'll shut my mouth and see how the situation develops after January release.

Merry Christmas and HNY everyone :)

hrgiger
12-22-2017, 08:43 AM
Well you're absolutely right about one thing 50one, actually getting the feedback of people who have left would be a lot more valuable than the unending praise of those who seemingly have an Infinite amount of patience and u understanding for the missteps on the handling of LW over the years.

SBowie
12-22-2017, 09:12 AM
... actually getting the feedback of people who have left would be a lot more valuable than the unending praise of those who seemingly have an Infinite amount of patience and u understanding for the missteps on the handling of LW over the years.I agree - sort of. First, no-one has ever asked for or insisted on un-ending praise, so that particular dichotomy isn't applicable in this case. Setting that aside, though, it's true that feedback of that sort is useful.

At the same time, no-one can truthfully claim that NewTek hasn't provided ample opportunity for critical feedback, and doesn't continue to do so. There are boundaries, however, largely based on the exercise of common civility (which perhaps is not really common in this world anymore). If someone is capable of and willing to state their point logically and with a bare minimum of manners, and doesn't feel the need to shout abuse at anyone who feels differently, hurl epithets at them, etc., they are welcome guests of this community. And you will have to admit that on numerous occasions I have taken members to task for personal attacks on both sides of an argument.

We are all guests here, and when a guest - whatever his views - stomps around like a rabid T-Rex with total disregard for either his fellow guests or his hosts, not just once or twice but seemingly incurably, his invitation may be revoked.

stiff paper
12-22-2017, 11:59 AM
I shout at people in here every so often, and I'm rude to people I think are being imbecilic more often than that. And yet nobody has ever banned me.

There's a lot of leeway in this forum for honest discussion, even when it's bad tempered and angry. That's a genuinely valuable thing, but c'mon... it's easily abused.

Given how much leeway there is, if you're being scolded for bad behavior in here then you're almost certainly way over the line. Time to shut up and maybe even apologise with good grace.

wyattharris
12-22-2017, 01:33 PM
I skipped from the 1st page so don't know if the topic changed. Just wanted to say, thanks NewTek. Was a tough tough road for everybody. Looking forward to the future. :rock:

erikals
12-22-2017, 01:43 PM
we've got enough threads covering obstacles.

thanks Harris, for keeping this thread on topic.

gar26lw
12-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Well you're absolutely right about one thing 50one, actually getting the feedback of people who have left would be a lot more valuable than the unending praise of those who seemingly have an Infinite amount of patience and u understanding for the missteps on the handling of LW over the years.

i think most have one foot out the door and have turned the head around to listen to what’s being said.
what is said and shown will decide whether they walk back in or turn around.

the frequency of blog updates and communication on the forums is encouraging.

whoever’s bright idea it was for total silence was, well, wrong.

Snosrap
12-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Yep - thanks NT for finally getting this thing out. Looking forward to kicking the tires. The shading/lighting system looks amazing.

hhnguyen
12-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Thanks NT - Great news with 2018 version

Farhad_azer
12-23-2017, 05:15 PM
I did exactly like wayttharris and ignored offtopic comments and really wanted to thank NEWTEK and their hardworking staffs.
The most important thing for me is that i love lightwave and seeing it with additional features make me so happy.
You guys rock.

IanRT
12-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Thankyou. 12.01 pm release time here in NZ.

scallahan1
12-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Forget kicking the tires, I want to run and slide across the hood and jump in the drivers seat like they do on Dukes of Hazzard! LOL. :)

medunecer
12-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Thank you LW/NT!