PDA

View Full Version : LW2018 SDK improvements? What is newly possible?

jeric_synergy
12-16-2017, 12:08 PM
In light of Oliver Holtz's ( http://origamidigital.com/newtypo/index.php/software.html) LW2018 offerings, it seems maybe some 3rd party* capabilities are now possible in LW that were not there before.

Could knowledgeable people (i.e. plugin writers), within the limits of their NDAs, comment on what is newly possible?

(NewTek/LWG: I suggest you allow this discussion to take place, to build some buzz about the product.)

*and, of course, LWG itself.

[Putting this right here as the best place for the answer: we're fine with the discussion. We have a lot of NewTek and LW3DG folks away for the holidays at the moment, but we will encourage folks to chime in as they become available. - CB]

gclayton
12-17-2017, 10:17 AM
I'd like to know what's new in the SDK also. Seems that the SDK is always overlooked when listing the new features of a release.

IMO. They should have made LW 2018 Trial available for everyone to try over the holidays since they are off anyway and probably no more work will be done on the release anyway.

If it's ready to go by Jan. 1, then it should be made available, after all, we have been waiting an extra long time!

3dslider
12-17-2017, 05:34 PM
I am also to need to know from LW2018 SDK, maybe a great jump for developer ?!

3dslider
12-24-2017, 03:23 AM
I hear there is a lot of change from SDK 2018 and maybe it keeps to comptability... You can make everything whatever you want so more possibility :)

TheLexx
12-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Again deferring to Kat's wisdom on the matter:-

"The LW SDK is accessible to Python. In full. Third party C/C++ developers writing .p plugins have for years taken what limited access they had via the SDK and made LightWave not only sing, but run circles around other apps while reciting bohemian rhapsody. The SDK has been expanded. Full support for python to that SDK. Watch what happens next."

I'm no prgrammer, but that sounds good. Kat's full post (http://www.cgchannel.com/2017/12/newtek-unveils-lightwave-2018/)is interesting. It feels increasingly like the beginning of some sort of renaissance.

:)

gamedesign1
12-24-2017, 11:39 PM

"The LW SDK is accessible to Python. In full. Third party C/C++ developers writing .p plugins have for years taken what limited access they had via the SDK and made LightWave not only sing, but run circles around other apps while reciting bohemian rhapsody. The SDK has been expanded. Full support for python to that SDK.
Watch what happens next."

I'm no prgrammer, but that sounds good. Kat's full post (http://www.cgchannel.com/2017/12/newtek-unveils-lightwave-2018/)is interesting. It feels increasingly like the beginning of some sort of renaissance.

I think once 2018 has been released they should bring out a video explaining the new SDK and how it has opened up the possibilties for future development. I would be really interested to see that.

jeric_synergy
12-24-2017, 11:59 PM
For one thing: since the very beginning, b/c NewTek "rolled their own" UI kit (or something), there's been some oddball limitations placed on what 3rd party devs CAN do via the SDK. (The same handicap of course extends to the LWG devs.)

What I'd like to know is: WHAT CHANGED? What can you do now, that you could not do before?

gamedesign1
12-25-2017, 01:12 AM
For one thing: since the very beginning, b/c NewTek "rolled their own" UI kit (or something), there's been some oddball limitations placed on what 3rd party devs CAN do via the SDK. (The same handicap of course extends to the LWG devs.)

What I'd like to know is: WHAT CHANGED? What can you do now, that you could not do before?

+1.

gar26lw
12-25-2017, 01:21 AM
you can write 2018 in the header instead of 2015?

Wickedpup
12-25-2017, 04:31 AM
"Third party C/C++ developers writing .p plugins have for years taken what limited access they had via the SDK and made LightWave not only sing, but run circles around other apps while reciting bohemian rhapsody. "

Is he speaking about in-house tools, because I haven't seen any circle running or reciting? ;D

gar26lw
12-25-2017, 06:03 AM
3rd party

TheLexx
12-25-2017, 06:30 AM
I haven't seen any circle running or reciting? ;DWell the devs seem confident. ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=109&v=thyJOnasHVE

Marander
12-25-2017, 06:38 AM

"The LW SDK is accessible to Python. In full. Third party C/C++ developers writing .p plugins have for years taken what limited access they had via the SDK and made LightWave not only sing, but run circles around other apps while reciting bohemian rhapsody. The SDK has been expanded. Full support for python to that SDK. Watch what happens next."

That's just ridiculous, he obviously has no clue what he's talking about and what is going on outside his little LighWave bubble. Of course other 3d applications have proper python and c++ sdk implementations. They allow plugins to be much better integrated since many years.

TheLexx
12-25-2017, 07:45 AM
That's just ridiculous, he obviously has no clue what he's talking about and what is going on outside his little LighWave bubble. Of course other 3d applications have proper python and c++ sdk implementations. They allow plugins to be much better integrated since many years.Yes, perhaps he is over-enthusiastic in that particular comparison, though it's still good to read considering some negative LW Next stuff I heard attributed to him in the past. But on the basis of comparing Lightwave with itself, it does seem to be good news for 3rd party developers in the aftermath of the silence, like a balance between LW2018 release features and a chunk of invisible stuff achieved in the background.

samurai_x
12-26-2017, 07:57 PM

A lof dumb commments there. :D
Two comments are objective.

hrgiger
12-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Kat really is in a bubble.

SBowie
12-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Let's debate points, or concepts - not denigrate people. (The application of epithets to people is considered "dumb", in these forums if nowhere else.) ;)

Chuck
12-28-2017, 04:33 PM
I think once 2018 has been released they should bring out a video explaining the new SDK and how it has opened up the possibilties for future development. I would be really interested to see that.

I'm sure folks are aware from the new blog entries that I am collecting images, video and text of interest regarding Lightwave 3D 2018 (produced by LW3DG team members, beta users and third party developers) from the forums and social media and sharing on the blog; what isn't obvious yet is that I'm also logging requests for information that would seem to be good subjects for a blog entry, and I'm logging this one (among others) for the team to consider. Just keeping you all in the loop. :)

50one
12-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Undockable windows??

gamedesign1
12-28-2017, 05:03 PM
I'm sure folks are aware from the new blog entries that I am collecting images, video and text of interest regarding Lightwave 3D 2018 (produced by LW3DG team members, beta users and third party developers) from the forums and social media and sharing on the blog; what isn't obvious yet is that I'm also logging requests for information that would seem to be good subjects for a blog entry, and I'm logging this one (among others) for the team to consider. Just keeping you all in the loop. :)

Thats great, thanks Chuck :)