PDA

View Full Version : Sky system

Asticles
12-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Hi all,

I've seen some OD videos, and seems that Backdrop dialog seems pretty unchanged.

Does it means that there is no new sun and sky system?

Regards

spigolo
12-15-2017, 01:11 PM
As far as I know no sky system and no phisical camera (like vray, corona etc.) which seems a bitt odd due the efforts done on the rendering side...

Asticles
12-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Thanks for he answer spigolo, so bad news from this side... It is really important if they pretend that users start using it for archviz projects.

gar26lw
12-15-2017, 02:43 PM
maybe dennis can help you out?

Asticles
12-15-2017, 02:56 PM
I really appreciate what Dennis has done for Lightwave and his community, but I think that based on the program itself, it would have to have enough minimums to be attractive without the use of external plugins.

Imagine that for a new user that comes from Max or Cinema, you have to say that to have a proper sky and sun system you have to install an external plugin.
The excuse of the new rendering engine is a great opportunity to offer an atmospheric realism that, together with the new volumetric, can attract users.

Marander
12-15-2017, 03:42 PM
As far as I know no sky system and no phisical camera (like vray, corona etc.) which seems a bitt odd due the efforts done on the rendering side...

Wow if that's the case (no physical camera, no exposure setting etc.) it means also that Vue is still annoying to use in LW and requires post image filtering (if 2018 will even be supported). Very disappointing if that's true.

I also didn't see what VR standards the camera supports, Lat-Long, different Cube Maps or Stereoscopic modes like Above-Under, Side-By-Side, Eye Separation settings etc.

No physical camera and no physical sky / atmosphere, not great. Well let's wait January 1st, maybe there's more than we've seen.

Asticles
12-15-2017, 03:47 PM
spigolo, can you confirm this? How are tonemapping and filtering done?

spigolo
12-16-2017, 12:52 AM
I'm not in the beta program but im quite sure that there is no physical camera and no sky system, I know nothing about how and if tonemapping is handled, I know that sunsky by Dennis works at least....

gar26lw
12-16-2017, 01:35 AM
may i ask why you use lw if dong arch viz and not max with vray?

Asticles
12-16-2017, 02:13 AM

Because during many years of job search, I have seen that architectural firms increasingly asked me to be autonomous (fiscally), therefore I would have to provide my licenses if I wanted to work at home at some point.

For this reason, I am not willing to give money to a company that only buy programs to destroy them. In addition to being incredibly expensive to have some truly derisory updates. The industry standard.

Also, because of the hypocrisy of many of the architecture firms, who despise that I use a tool different from their own, without them paying for what they have installed.

*And finally, for me Max's interface is terrible, with those sliding menus that measure kilometers and having to click on the Q every time I transform something, just in case I move anything without wanting to selecting. Modo also does this. The only program I've seen that prevents this kind of thing is Blender, because if you accidentally activate the movement of an object, it remains attached to the mouse cursor, not ending the function inadvertently. Also Lightwave when selecting with middle mouse, but middle button is less ergonomic to me.

spigolo
12-16-2017, 02:17 AM

despite the fact that I teach Max and Vray in an institution I don't like it at all. I always have found lightwave more productive for my needs.
Also I don't like Autodesk pricing and policy.
Since the advent of vray on Modo I started to learn again Modo also to have a reasonable alternative to Lightwave and its dark future.
I do a lot of superyachts visualization and for this huge task lightwave proved to be very productive, it can handle millions of polygon and thousands of instances quite well..

if I had to use Max and vray to render I would have spent more than what I earned paying each render node costly licences etc.

gar26lw
12-16-2017, 02:30 AM
despite the fact that I teach Max and Vray in an institution I don't like it at all. I always have found lightwave more productive for my needs.

nods, uhuh, yes so same as i find regarding lightwave.
interesting that, isn’t i it.

Since the advent of vray on Modo I started to learn again Modo also to have a reasonable alternative to Lightwave and its dark future.

i have tried it as an alternative for what i do and it’s not bad but i still find lightwave split workflow better for larger scenes.
modos instances and replicators are very handy though. vray is good/comparable to max intergration.
been holding out myself to see what the 2018 renderer is like before jumping.

I do a lot of superyachts visualization and for this huge task lightwave proved to be very productive, it can handle millions of polygon and thousands of instances quite well..

wow that is really cool. do you have any examples?
edit- checked your website. nice work. esp interiors.

if I had to use Max and vray to render I would have spent more than what I earned paying each render node costly licences etc.

oh right :(

gar26lw
12-16-2017, 02:42 AM
Because during many years of job search, I have seen that architectural firms increasingly asked me to be autonomous (fiscally), therefore I would have to provide my licenses if I wanted to work at home at some point.

For this reason, I am not willing to give money to a company that only buy programs to destroy them. In addition to being incredibly expensive to have some truly derisory updates. The industry standard.

Also, because of the hypocrisy of many of the architecture firms, who despise that I use a tool different from their own, without them paying for what they have installed.

*And finally, for me Max's interface is terrible, with those sliding menus that measure kilometers and having to click on the Q every time I transform something, just in case I move anything without wanting to selecting. Modo also does this. The only program I've seen that prevents this kind of thing is Blender, because if you accidentally activate the movement of an object, it remains attached to the mouse cursor, not ending the function inadvertently. Also Lightwave when selecting with middle mouse, but middle button is less ergonomic to me.

thanks for the reply that is interesting to know. sucks about the company attitudes.

spigolo
12-16-2017, 02:44 AM
Hi gar26lw

regarding superyachts i can't show the most beautiful work as they are under NDA, recently I did a 10 minutes 3d animation all rendered with Lw and octane that im very proud of it , Yacht was huhe with 8 decks 2 helicopter and lenght of 155 mt..
I can show you this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Dtm7OMSac&t=19s
I still have to publish on my website, Is a work done recently but is low quality compared to the one I can't show as the model provided was orrible and timeline very short...

spigolo
12-16-2017, 02:46 AM

I agree 100%

Asticles
12-16-2017, 04:38 AM
Hi gar26lw

regarding superyachts i can't show the most beautiful work as they are under NDA, recently I did a 10 minutes 3d animation all rendered with Lw and octane that im very proud of it , Yacht was huhe with 8 decks 2 helicopter and lenght of 155 mt..
I still have to publish on my website, Is a work done recently but is low quality compared to the one I can't show as the model provided was orrible and timeline very short...

Wow great project and renders. What did you use for the water sim?

Do you model the hull or you get imported from Rhino, for example.

gar26lw
12-16-2017, 06:52 AM
Hi gar26lw

pretty cool. yeah you should be proud.
i’m mad for boats so this stuff really appeals to me. how did you do the wash on the launch?
are models provided from cad?

spigolo
12-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Thanks!
For water simulation (foam etc when the tender approach the yacht) I used realflow, the sea is made with normal mapping on a plane with H.O.T plugin.
Model came in rhino for the yacht and in 3ds max for the interiors...

prometheus
12-16-2017, 07:51 AM
If lightwave 2018 hasnīt got any new or improved sky system to work with the new stuff, I would be a bit disappointed indeed, will see...I donīt think dpont sunsky holds itīs own anymore really.
The lw team does have a couple of days left to work on it :) unless they have made one already yet not shown.

Asticles
12-16-2017, 08:33 AM
A lot of people with beta versions and we don't know anything

prometheus
12-16-2017, 09:41 AM
A lot of people with beta versions and we don't know anything

If possible, just be patient and donīt waste time and energy on it....Until they release it 1st of january, it wonīt be that long now , if you are in a hurry for a project, thatīs a different thing though.

Asticles
12-16-2017, 10:02 AM
If possible, just be patient and donīt waste time and energy on it....Until they release it 1st of january, it wonīt be that long now , if you are in a hurry for a project, thatīs a different thing though.

I have to start a project, which is an iteration of an older one (from last year), made with LW2015.3 of course. I don't know when I have to start it (only my boss knows), but if it is on January it would be nice to know if I can start to migrate it to Modo.

Only a preference.

Matt
12-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Does it means that there is no new sun and sky system?

Not in this release, but I know Antti has done some work on this.

Asticles
12-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Not in this release, but I know Antti has done some work on this.

Thanks for the answer. How are the results with sky tracer 2 and the new lighting system?

Regards.

Asticles
12-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Also, do you recommend using Hdri as the best sky solution for LW2018?

Thanks for your time and support.