PDA

View Full Version : LW 2018+ ... Feature requests

MichaelT
12-14-2017, 03:50 AM
It makes Modeler better but still 10+ years behind other solutions.

Then you might need 3rd Powers (basic sculpting, weight painting), OD Tools, Rhiggit etc. and you're still far away from an up-to-date package.

When you're adjusting the geometry while the dynamic simulation is playing in realtime for fine tuning the sim (that's what I'm doing right now), edit parametric objects at a later point, non-destructive Booleans, Text, Splines and modifiers like Fracture, Cage deformer or Bevel (and combine all of them seamlessly), you realize the huge difference in technology.

LWCAD offers full parametric workflow but not within LW. And by the looks LW2018 doesn't have a full object model, just 2 parametric primitives that cannot even be converted into geo.

Maybe I'm wrong about the new architecture, but to me it's not what was promised. A full object object model would allow any type of object as Splines, Particles, Trees, Hair, Cloth, Landscapes, Characters, Ropes, Archviz objects etc in a parametric way. And to be able to convert it into geo of course. The current implementation of the parametric primitives (seems to be a sphere and a plane) and LWCAD doesn't look promising to me.

The new renderer and volumetrics are nice though.

Now I am really interested.. please list all (everyone here) help to fill the list of missing things, or changes. Lets make an actual list, rather than just talking of the features missing.

Here I'll start:

1. UV Editing tools
2. Better edge rounder (that have a threshold that helps define what amounts to an edge) and have control points that can be used to control the roundness/sharpness of the edges near those locations.
3. Fix invalid polygons (black ones)
4. Non destructive workflow if so chosen.
5. Smoothing groups (and yes.. FBX that can export them)
6. Substance support (Very important, it is an actual standard these days)

Keeping a list like this updated, helps LWG to pick and choose. To (hopefully) check all of them (within reason)

erikals
12-14-2017, 04:05 AM
7. Motion Graphics friendly environment

TheLexx
12-14-2017, 04:14 AM
Sculpting/retopology maybe. Undo ? Then someone will pipe up "split app". It's a mindset, like the way some skilled people here won't touch Blender. Blender has sculpting, but someone else could point out ZBrush is better. But then again, animation in ZBrush is broken - broken I say ! :grumpy: And it is difficult to quantify licencing, price, learning curve, etc.

hrgiger
12-14-2017, 04:56 AM
Now I am really interested.. please list all (everyone here) help to fill the list of missing things, or changes. Lets make an actual list, rather than just talking of the features missing.

Here I'll start:

1. UV Editing tools
2. Better edge rounder (that have a threshold that helps define what amounts to an edge) and have control points that can be used to control the roundness/sharpness of the edges near those locations.

Keeping a list like this updated, helps LWG to pick and choose. To (hopefully) check all of them (within reason)

Thats just scratching the surface.

MichaelT
12-14-2017, 05:09 AM
Thats just scratching the surface.

Ok... please add

hrgiger
12-14-2017, 05:44 AM
The thing is, all of these modeling requests have been asked for now for years. And modeler remains largely unchanged except for some new tools here and there added along the way. And new tools largely dont address the fundamental shortcomings of Modeler.

But to humor you here is not an exhaustive list of things that modeler lacks.

1. Robust catmull clark subdivision. Implemented in version 9 and still not fixed.
2. Proper edge support. A lot of things dont see edges in modeler. Try selecting an edge in uv space or edge beveling 3 sides of the top of a box. Doesnt work.
3. Background constraints. Sure we have a few soecific tools for this but not a background constraint system.
4. Interactive falloffs.
5. Local and element action centers. Ability to affect multiple object\selections around their own local center at once. Or ability to use an edge or poly or point as an action center. Currently we have 1 tool that does this.
4. Bigger range of fall off types and ability to combine multiple falloffs.
5. Advanced opengl with support for environment lighting, shadows, AA, ambient occlusion, transparencies, reflections etc. ..
5. Smoothing groups and vertex tools.
6. Ability to control layer display types to any display type.
7. Workplane.
8. Uv toolset that has tools for straightening, relaxing, texel density, packing, stitching, tear offs, distortion display
9. Retoplogy (which would be associated with background constraints)
10. Procedural modeling stack for animatable modeling tools and non destructive operations including boolean workflows.
11. Deformer stack for layering deformer types.
12. mesh clean up tools.
13. Proper snapping
14. RayGL or preview rendering.
15. Model instances(adjust base mesh, instances update)
16. At least simple sculpting for mesh and guide manipulation
17. Background items(not just viewport images)
18. Ability to lock layers from editing.
19. Static Meshes.
20. Auto fill for gaps in geometry.
21. Uv slip.
22. Tool handles.
23. Consolidating redundant tools.
24. Rounded edge shader(which i would argue is a modeling tool as it saves you from microbeveling objects)
25. Edge rounding for bevel tools (consolidation)
26. Pie menus
27. Updated fbx.

For these thinga and more are the reason i use Modo for modeling. Use whats out there already, blender, c4d, whatever. No sense waiting for nt to modernize modeling when there are solutions out there now

gar26lw
12-14-2017, 06:10 AM
i think i’d be happy with lxo support. so we could plug modo directly to lightwave. or a really solid lwo and lws io plug-in for modo.

once upon a time i used an lwo loader for maya. that was awesome.

something like that would be good. so you can leverage other tools. it may well be way less work for a good stop gap.

gar26lw
12-14-2017, 07:01 AM
why not limit to everyone’s top 5 in order of importance to them and see if we get a general consensus?

jperk
12-14-2017, 07:09 AM
Options for different viewport orbiting in Modeler. Turntable and Trackball.

Marander
12-14-2017, 07:10 AM
28. Splines (complete replacement of the object and tools)
29. Generators (Cloners, Loft, Sweep etc), nondestructive of course
30. proper Knife tool (that can do loop cuts, repeated cuts, cuts into geometry, plane cuts etc)
31. Non-destructive Cage deformer and other modifiers
32. Quantizing (move/rotate/scale in definable steps)
33. FBX with LOD and Substance export options
34. Text (non-destructive with Beveling, Kerning etc)
35. better Primitives (for example more Sphere tesselation types)
36. something like Polypen
37. something like Stitch&Sew (to connect multiple edges/points at once)
38. a proper working Edge slide with proportional mode
39. Circlify, align points and edges, distribute even
40. Animatable modeling
41. better Selection tools
42. Selection undo
43. Selection sets
44. Solo mode (objects and geometry, additional to the hide options)
45. non-destructive and realtime Fracturing
46. LOD
47. Poly reduction (non-destructive)

MichaelT
12-14-2017, 07:12 AM
why not limit to everyone’s top 5 in order of importance to them and see if we get a general consensus?

Hmm, yeah.. I think that could be a good idea. But limits are bad in the sense that it could keep people silent about ideas that none of us really though of. So maybe we should have a poll of sorts after a while, and get some consensus that way?

Lewis
12-14-2017, 08:02 AM
just few things to keep in mind:

1. LW2018 has it's feature set so this topic can't be LW 2018 Feature Requests 'coz i doubt they will add those to LW2018 since it's ready to ship (maybe 2019, 2020 or whichever is next after next :))
2. Many, many modeling requests are officially in to the system (sent by me and many other artists along years (heck i have requests/bugs which are 9-10 years old still unsolved) so making another list will be pointless at this moment.
3. NT needs to decide to invest in LW modeling that any of that would have any sense/need to be done.
4. Once they show will/intent to do so (start Developing modeling) I'm happy to shorten my 100+ things list to 5 most important ones for a start :).

SBowie
12-14-2017, 08:10 AM
1. LW2018 has it's feature set so this topic can't be LW 2018 Feature Requests ... Good point, as always Lewis. Thread title updated.

hypersuperduper
12-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Just a thought, perhaps we should try to stick to specific quantifiable requests. For instance instead of listing “background constraints” which can mean all sorts of things, perhaps be more specific. Cause right now lw has a few background constrain tools already and without specificity the developers can simply say, “We have that already”.

hypersuperduper
12-14-2017, 08:35 AM
Operation stack so that we can change the order that motion modifiers, channel expressions, keys and IK are solved. I run into too many situations, particularly when using motion mixer and cylcist that require the use of motion baker to get something to affect something else that solves in the wrong order.

thomascheng
12-14-2017, 08:55 AM
You need a voting submission system. Threads like this gets really big and really lost. But here my two cents:

1) Unify Modeler and Layout - Yes, I'm one of those guys. Why maintain 2 programs, just 1 is a smarter development choice.
2) Undos
3) GPU rendering.

SBowie
12-14-2017, 09:01 AM
1) Unify Modeler and Layout - Yes, I'm one of those guys.So am I, for what little my vote counts.

MichaelT
12-14-2017, 02:09 PM
You need a voting submission system. Threads like this gets really big and really lost. But here my two cents:

1) Unify Modeler and Layout - Yes, I'm one of those guys. Why maintain 2 programs, just 1 is a smarter development choice.
2) Undos
3) GPU rendering.

I'm going to collect a more complete list tomorrow of everything that is posted. So everything is collected visibly. I'll also add a date at the end, so it is easy to see the last post where I collected up to. But yes, some sort of poll will come up. But I think it will be easier, once the list is getting more complete.
But it will be up to a moderator like SBowie to actually update when he have the time. Because I can't edit that first post.

gar26lw
12-14-2017, 02:25 PM
spreadsheet google doc?

Tobian
12-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Oh god it's not even out yet, and these threads are starting ;)

MichaelT
12-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Here is a collected list. I have put repeated things under the same number. If you think this is in error, then please explain why? Also, when making a suggestion, do have a look at the list.. and ask yourself if something is already mentioned before making the post. It would help to avoid dealing with doubles. Also if you have other ideas, suggestions about this list.. please elaborate :)

I hope you guys from LW, can chime in... especially if there are things that are already done, being worked on.. or just plain can't be done for some reason.

Then we can all help out in getting a better view about what is really wanted, needed, and of course already done.

So here is the list as it is now. A moderator could put this in the first post. So it is easy to find for everyone.

-----------------------------------------------------------

1. Unify Modeler and Layout
2. Undo (with Selection undo, Selection sets)
3. UV Editing, tools etc.. (Improved, and more along what is available in other packages today)
For instance: straightening, relaxing, texel density, packing, stitching, tear offs, distortion display

4. Non destructive workflow, Operation stack so that we can change the order that motion modifiers, channel expressions,
keys and IK are solved, deformers, booleans etc..

5. Proper snapping (Quantizing (move/rotate/scale in definable steps))
6. Workplanes (I'm going to assume this means arbitrary ones too, not just along axes.)
7. Tool handles (Yes, absolutely. Where the effects can be changed at any time too. This means they are actual objects.)
8. Tool/Plugin to communicate directly with other 3D software. (There is already a tool like this actually)
9. Different viewport orbiting in Modeler. Turntable, Trackball, WSAD + mouse movement (like in games)
10. GPU rendering.
11. Poly reduction (non-destructive)
12. Better edge rounder (I would suggest having a look at the one in Rhino3D for inspiration) Rounded edge shader(which i would
argue is a modeling tool as it saves you from microbeveling objects) Edge rounding for bevel tools (consolidation)

13. Better dealing with corrupt polygons (those that end up black, because the normal vectors are shot)
14. Substance support (Very important, it is an actual standard these days)
15. Smoothing groups and vertex tools.
16. Improved FBX support (Smoothing groups, LOD, Substance export options)
17. Sculpting tools
18. Retopology tools
19. Robust catmull clark subdivision. Implemented in version 9 and still not fixed.
20. Proper edge support. A lot of things dont see edges in modeler. Try selecting an edge in uv space or edge beveling 3 sides of the top of a box. Doesnt work.
21. LOD (I'm going to assume, that different LOD levels are to be created, and editable?)
22. Better Primitives (for example more Sphere tesselation types)
23. Text (non-destructive with Beveling, Kerning etc)
24. Non-destructive Cage deformer and other modifiers
25. proper Knife tool (that can do loop cuts, repeated cuts, cuts into geometry, plane cuts etc)
26. Generators (Cloners, Loft, Sweep etc), nondestructive of course
27. Splines (complete replacement of the object and tools)
28. Pie menus
29. Consolidating redundant tools.
30. Auto fill for gaps in geometry.
31. Background items(not just viewport images)
31. RayGL or preview rendering.
32. Interactive falloffs.
33. Local and element action centers. Ability to affect multiple object\selections around their own local center at once. Or ability to use an
edge or poly or point as an action center. Currently we have 1 tool that does this.

34. Bigger range of fall off types and ability to combine multiple falloffs.
35. Advanced opengl with support for environment lighting, shadows, AA, ambient occlusion, transparencies, reflections etc. ..
36. Ability to control layer display types to any display type.
37. Circlify, align points and edges, distribute even
40. Animatable modeling

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMHO: I think this is more for Layout. Would make little sense making this available for modeler.

Hmmm... it is already static. Are you perhaps thinking of "frozen" (as in uneditable) ones? Not sure what you mean here.
Or are you thinking of meshes in Layout?
19. Static Meshes.

Say what?
21. Uv slip.

Hmm... This is tricky. Depending on the level of destruction, real time could be quite impossible. This is easily something
that can require a full day of simulation, if you want big destruction.

Hmm... what?

Hmm... Little bit more specific, because I have a feeling this is a request for change?

This would be a fix request.

Not sure what you mean here.
3. Background constraints. Sure we have a few soecific tools for this but not a background constraint system.

Please elaborate

Is this really necessary? You can already put layers in background, so they cannot be changed.
18. Ability to lock layers from editing.

LW already have instances. Or are you thinking of something else?
15. Model instances(adjust base mesh, instances update)

There are already some of these.. are you thinking of improved versions?
12. mesh clean up tools.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected up until post #20

gar26lw
12-15-2017, 05:24 PM
interactive arrays, cloning and instancing in layout

snapping in layout with modifiable pivot point

all pop ups pop up in the same location

alt lmb,mmd, rmb, maya style navigation

gradients are larger or able to be expanded in the texture editors

instances in modeller

to clone and instance in layout via a paint system

to edit instances scale, position and rotation via paint system

sub scenes/scene referencing in layout and modeller

Photogram
12-17-2017, 09:40 PM

I second this!
And something like cineware for After Effect would be nice! (in the past Newtek had a software called Rendition that was abandonned)

Photogram
12-17-2017, 09:55 PM

2) Undos
3) GPU rendering.

Im in for unification but if we get the same navigation like the actual modeler (mouse movements and shortcuts for pan, zoom, rotate) plus other kind of navigation.
Im in if there are customizable workspaces where we can focus on specific task like modeling. So almost tools visible are about modeling and we can hide the timeline and animations tools if we don't need them etc...

- Ability to open multiple scene par session. (Can be usefull for transfering assets, properties, motions etc.. between scenes)
- Texture Camera projection working in modeler.
- Node texture visible in modeler

:)

gar26lw
12-18-2017, 02:57 AM
a lot of the merge stuff and other requests seem to be what modo is. do we want that? i mean, why not just use modo as that is what a lot this equates to. i’d prefer lw to become more like xsi crossed with the best of original lightwave.

Sensei
12-20-2017, 01:56 AM

That's what EasySpline http://easyspline.trueart.eu does..
(part of TrueArt's Modeling Pack)

That's what TrueType Text http://truetypetext.trueart.eu does..

Polas Bridge tool.. ?

42. Selection undo
43. Selection sets

SelectionPresetManager does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ZjSKGJxqE
(part of TrueArt's Modeling Pack)
You can store and restore selection of points, edges and polygons.

46. LOD

Level-of-detail?
There is built-in Level-of-detail Object Replacement..

hypersuperduper
12-21-2017, 02:02 AM
Instanced node networks. With per-instance inputs.

medzo
01-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Hi

In Lw2018, GI tab, I am missing gi multiplier. This function is really helpful when doing test renders. In 2015.3 I could set multiplier to (let say)10% and with low AA settings test renders were really fast. Hope this function will return in next update.

Best regards

N_A
01-05-2018, 09:47 AM
Dear developers, please use a more modern version of QT framework.
Qt 5.4.2-does not contain many useful features required when developing plugins.
Files Qt5*.dll version 5.4.2 make it difficult to use new versions because of the conflict of dll names.
(Latest Version Of Qt: 5.10).

Sensei
01-06-2018, 01:17 AM
Dear developers, please use a more modern version of QT framework.
Qt 5.4.2-does not contain many useful features required when developing plugins.
Files Qt5*.dll version 5.4.2 make it difficult to use new versions because of the conflict of dll names.
(Latest Version Of Qt: 5.10).

While writing plugins you should not use QT directly but create controls and windows using LWSDK LWXPanelFuncs and LWPanelFuncs.

OFF
01-06-2018, 01:47 AM

2) Undos
3) GPU rendering.

3.1) GPU rendering via AMD Pro render - as an option. It is desirable that the renderer can work with the basic functions of the LW - shaders, volumetrics, FFX.
4) Better performance of OGL for character animation process.

Maybe make a new UI design competition for LW? )

N_A
01-06-2018, 02:05 AM
While writing plugins you should not use QT directly but create controls and windows using LWSDK LWXPanelFuncs and LWPanelFuncs.
I understand that to create a user interface it is more appropriate to use LW controls, for me it is difficult, but theoretically feasible. (Although I do not know how to make a code editor with syntax highlighting and other familiar convenient functions in LWSDK, I do not even understand how to make a scrollbar in XPanel form)
In fact, Qt widgets almost did not change in the newer versions, and widgets from Qt 5.4.2 work just as well as in Qt 5.10.
The main problem is that the new versions significantly improved the work of the Qt javascript engine, improved the interaction of javascript and c ++. Also, other useful functions not related to Qt widgets have appeared, I use some of them.

pixelinfected
01-07-2018, 09:23 AM
small UI optimization :
- if i click on noise reduction checkbox in render, i think to see working the noise reduction, MUST BE AUTOMATIC enable on buffer export the noise reduction check
- in render windows cut out intermediate windows but see directly in render windows to see at 100% rendering at higher resolution
- in render windows cut out old (10-15 years?) dropdown menu to select different render, put a list where i can select picture, and i can recover setup of rendering (render panel + camera sampling panel). you cannot understand how many times you do different test and you miss combination of best settings.
- move camera sampling all info from camera to render settings, that allow you to save preset with new system.
- pause and start, save temporary state of render, like fprime 20 years ago... at today is useful to save a rought state of render, for an animation, restart from that point to not waste time...
actual render seems progressive refinement system and could be simple to add that feature (i hope).

IdleJohn
01-09-2018, 06:05 AM
5. Smoothing groups

So LW 2018 doesn't have smoothing groups / hard edges? For real?

I can put up with its other quirks but this is basic functionality...

pixelinfected
01-09-2018, 06:38 AM
So LW 2018 doesn't have smoothing groups / hard edges? For real?

I can put up with its other quirks but this is basic functionality...

Ehm beveling in render? like dpont node in past render, i would like to load a edge group and bevel in render, only in render, to optimize workflow. I think to a simple but effective node that go to normal Input (like dpont node), and in node i have a multislot structure where i have :
- dropdown menu that read edge groups list and i can select one group
- a requester where to setup a size of bevel
- a kind of bevel to apply simple - offset- convex etc

IdleJohn
01-09-2018, 07:36 AM
Oh sorry I'm concerned with modelling for realtime.

I guess LW is not meant for games, only rendering.

pixelinfected
01-10-2018, 10:28 AM
Oh sorry I'm concerned with modelling for realtime.

I guess LW is not meant for games, only rendering.

Sure IdleJohn, my fault in description, it's useful to have both phisical and render edge :-D

BeeVee
01-10-2018, 10:51 AM
Don't forget that the bug reporter is also a Feature Requester ;) Just be sure that your requests are for *one* thing at a time.

B

gar26lw
01-20-2018, 02:46 AM
watch this.. see how we bounce between programs, see how programs have similar layer and grouping systems like photoshop, see how the use of the same alt mmb navigation (like maya) would be useful.

please add in a way to allow a user to customise navigation.

i would also look at the ease of selections, snapping and grouping in max. that should be in layout.

then note the export presets for each program that is being exported to. also,useful.

all this makes for a much better workflow as is evident in the video.

https://youtu.be/3U5N0Y_UAQI

pixelinfected
01-20-2018, 11:15 AM
today i sent different ideas and feature request, but from 16:00 feedback agent not work.... internal server error...
my last feature request / bug fix is
save transformed in layout must save also all endomorph from obj.

when i mode a model from modeler to layout with endomorph and use Bone to change its shape, i cannot use function save transformed be cause it save only main obj without all morph.

Sensei
01-20-2018, 11:58 AM
today i sent different ideas and feature request, but from 16:00 feedback agent not work.... internal server error...
my last feature request / bug fix is
save transformed in layout must save also all endomorph from obj.

when i mode a model from modeler to layout with endomorph and use Bone to change its shape, i cannot use function save transformed be cause it save only main obj without all morph.

This feature request will be rejected anyway..
Endomorphs are relative to base mesh, that you just lost.

What you can do is:
bone transform base, save transformed,
apply morph 100% power, save transformed,
Load them in Modeler, to separate layers, and use Bg To Morph.

pixelinfected
01-20-2018, 12:37 PM
This feature request will be rejected anyway..
Endomorphs are relative to base mesh, that you just lost.

What you can do is:
bone transform base, save transformed,
apply morph 100% power, save transformed,
Load them in Modeler, to separate layers, and use Bg To Morph.

i just know, but when i have 36 endomorph is not appliable.
When in modeler i not have right tool of deformation, that i can do easily with bone ... i need to exchange better between modeler layout until, modeler die and we do all in layout, like other modern software from 1990 (when c4d was born), i use lw from 1991 and i hope from that period the unification. I hope the unified mesh engine is the bridge to do that.

Sensei
01-20-2018, 01:07 PM
i just know, but when i have 36 endomorph is not appliable.
When in modeler i not have right tool of deformation, that i can do easily with bone ... i need to exchange better between modeler layout until, modeler die and we do all in layout, like other modern software from 1990 (when c4d was born), i use lw from 1991 and i hope from that period the unification. I hope the unified mesh engine is the bridge to do that.

Modeling using history stack and mesh modifier stack is completely different from what people used to in Modeler.. It's more engineering rather than artistic job..

pixelinfected
01-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Modeling using history stack and mesh modifier stack is completely different from what people used to in Modeler.. It's more engineering rather than artistic job..

ok, i use a different example, when i use fibermesh/micromesh on zbrush to paint details and later i replace it with another details is an artistic way
it is not only an engineering needings :-P
anyway in modeler i have bend, spline deform but a real deformer that keep volume like bone did for some deformation is not avaible.
And my needing is for a creature tentacles, not for engineering modelling...

paulhart
01-24-2018, 04:05 PM
Here is my input for Feature Development in Lightwave 2018. Give the user the ability to "Mark" an Edge so that it could then be selected for Line Rendering. This is available in Blender 2.78+ and gives more creative freedom for Line Rendering. I tried using Weight Painting, which sort of works, but even setting the Edge to 200% Weight Value, and the adjacent Edges to -200% Weight Value won't do what is needed, as the Weight Values 'falloff' to their adjacent areas, creating and interesting stitch effect, but not just the line only on the Edge. More than one Lineset, is another feature in Blender that is useful, in that I can create a very fine line 'every where' then overlay it with a Thick/Thin line selectively.
How about a "Sketchy" choice on the Line style??139709

Markc
01-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Something I found that's a bit annoying, whether this is only on the Mac, I don't know.
You can't read the tabs in Properties panels.
The ability to resize would be nice :hey:

update: I just realised when you click each Tab it shows the full description, resizing would still be nice though.

pmwhite
01-28-2018, 04:02 PM
29. Generators (Cloners, Loft, Sweep etc), nondestructive of course
30. proper Knife tool (that can do loop cuts, repeated cuts, cuts into geometry, plane cuts etc)
31. Non-destructive Cage deformer and other modifiers
32. Quantizing (move/rotate/scale in definable steps)
33. FBX with LOD and Substance export options
35. better Primitives (for example more Sphere tesselation types)
39. Circlify, align points and edges, distribute even
40. Animatable modeling
42. Selection undo
43. Selection sets
46. LOD
47. Poly reduction (non-destructive)

48. Physical based Camera, functioning F-stops/ Aperture etc. for exposure

Photogram
01-30-2018, 08:01 PM

Here I'll start:

1. UV Editing tools

Hello, can someone give me some info about what are smoothing groups?

Thanks!