PDA

View Full Version : LW 2018 Manipulators

gar26lw
12-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Hi,

could I suggest that you add in a screen space manipulator to the transform tool in layout, so that we may be able to move items in the now industry standard way.

This help a lot with transforming and arranging things, especially ik and control nulls.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138848&d=1513208502

Here are some detailed explanations:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya/files/Transforming-objects-Use-manipulators-htm.html

http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya/images/GUID-F602043C-922D-40E0-A4F2-6D6BBD3A68A9.png

this and industry standard alt lmb/mmb/rmb would really help make lightwave be easier to sue and more accessible to people. Especially considering we are bouncing back and forth between 3DC, Substance, other 3D programs etc.. and having all apps on one nav paradigm is a big help.

Maybe this has/was debated internally and he team felt they wanted to keep the program "lighwavey" but please reconsider!

thanks

Sensei
12-13-2017, 05:01 PM
The best is to allow maximum customization, so user will set what he/she needs and wants..

gar26lw
12-13-2017, 05:05 PM
The best is to allow maximum customization, so user will set what he/she needs and wants..

yes, that would be best and my own personal preference. Everyone happy

Sensei
12-13-2017, 05:55 PM
Actually what you want can be done as 3rd party plugin..

gar26lw
12-14-2017, 01:09 AM
Actually what you want can be done as 3rd party plugin..

oh, really ? is that with new sdk improvements?

Sensei
12-14-2017, 01:27 AM
oh, really ? is that with new sdk improvements?

No. It should be possible with the all LWSDK since they introduced gizmos, I think.

UnCommonGrafx
12-14-2017, 04:34 AM
I thought with the intro of gizmos that one could model and make such gizmos, with a folder to be used for such things.
Maybe I'm wrong.
A consult of the manual or perusal of the folder might bare this out... Yes, there is a folder with lwos in them which is labelled, "gizmos".
So, some mechanism for native-ly doing this is there.

gar26lw
12-14-2017, 04:46 AM
i’d need someone from dev to chime in with a pointer here but i am not sure it’s that easy.

Jarno
12-14-2017, 06:10 AM
Probably a master plugin with a gizmo handler. Bones are done like that.

---JvdL---

gar26lw
12-14-2017, 06:16 AM
is that easy to do?

Ryan Roye
12-14-2017, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing this kind of gizmo make its way into LW.

However, one of the things I like in LW that I have yet to see in any other application is the fact that you can click-drag anywhere on the screen to move, rotate or scale the object. This eliminates the need to be 100% precise with your clicking and it is way easier to nudge things around quickly this way.

hypersuperduper
12-14-2017, 09:06 AM
Never really liked that kind of gizmo. I prefer hot keys or modifier keys. I don’t like gizmos that require too much precision to operate. I would much prefer a view space toggle.

hrgiger
12-14-2017, 09:44 AM
Tool handles are essential to working ina single viewport. Having multiple views open is not optimal and even modifier keys only constrain in a few directions.

12-14-2017, 10:01 AM
That part had me wondering...

Why are multiple views not deemed optimal anymore? When did that change?
I have been working to come to terms with that "forced-upon-me" concept in several other apps and find it overly clickly: turn a bit here, turn a bit there, ad nauseum.

Perhaps it's just everyone following the crowd but I continue to search for the efficiency espoused for such a workflow.

And yes, as Ryan states, that kind of functionality (not having to touch the gizmo) is most appreciated in visually noisy scenario.

hrgiger
12-14-2017, 11:34 AM
In Modo you dont have to use the gizmo. But thanks to the gizmos and workplane, i can work in a single large viewport in a way that can only be approached in lw with a quad view which cuts down on my screen real estate especially if youre someone who likes to work with panels open like i do

gar26lw
12-14-2017, 02:28 PM
just to be clear, i am talking about lightwave layout transform gizmos and not modeller

Sensei
12-14-2017, 02:37 PM
just to be clear, i am talking about lightwave layout transform gizmos and not modeller

Modeler does not have gizmo class. It is exclusively for handler class.

What is visible in viewport in Modeler when you turn on any MeshEditTool, is not "gizmo" for us (programmers). It's handle. Plugin of MeshEditTool class is returning quantity of handles, and position of handle with specified as parameter index. Then if user is clicking or moving one handle LW sends this info back to plugin. And plugin decides what to do with this information.

Sensei
12-14-2017, 02:43 PM
Tool handles are essential to working ina single viewport.

Without doubt.

Having multiple views open is not optimal...

I can't imagine working only in perspective viewport (maybe for organic stuff, when you don't bother about precision or anything).. Quad view is my the most favorite one.. with each side with their specific backdrop image..

gar26lw
12-14-2017, 02:50 PM
Without doubt.

I can't imagine working only in perspective viewport (maybe for organic stuff, when you don't bother about precision or anything).. Quad view is my the most favorite one.. with each side with their specific backdrop image..

someone said once “The best is to allow maximum customization, so user will set what he/she needs and wants..”

wise words. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Without doubt.

someone said once “The best is to allow maximum customization, so user will set what he/she needs and wants..”

wise words. ;)