PDA

View Full Version : Me, Myself and EYE

wingwalker
12-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Hi, Im just getting into head modeling and have done a few different versions. Im am having real difficulty getting the eye socket right.

I have looked around for tutorials but find most of what ive found lacking.....

My main problem is "Gappy eyes" ...well just look at the pic posted and you'll see what i meen. I find that if i wrap the lids around the ball to close up the gaps, they end up bugeyed.

I look around at the characters being displayed on the forum by astro-sanchez, The ripper, Allen Curtis, pixelranger, etc.... and find that everyone's getting it right.

Are there some tutorials, or books I should be reading, is there something obvious im missing (is the ratio between eye and lids wrong) or is it just trial and error. Please spread some knowledge. GOD knows i need some.

glassefx
12-22-2003, 02:09 PM
To my knowledge their is no certain way to measure things... I am assuming your hitting tab for your head mesh or meta forming it while your eye-objects are a one density mesh that stays the same? If so you just need to tweek the vertices of the eye-lids while it is at a higher-density (i.e - a meta nurb cage).

Ive gotton by with eye-lids that are 4 polys (minus the thickness)

i.e. - a diamond shaped poly on top and bottom of eyeball and each top and bottom is composed of 2 polygons.

toby
12-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Your eyeballs are too small, they are larger than most people realize - the pupils look ok the way they are though, just scale up the rest of it.

Go to Google and do an image search to get some reference

pdrake
12-22-2003, 05:32 PM
also remember that some of that "gap" is filled with muscle and connective tissue irl.

Mylenium
12-22-2003, 11:37 PM
Your eyeballs are too small. On grown up humans they average at about 4 to 4.5 cm in diameter, whereas the Iris is about 1 to 1.7 cm. This varies depending on ethnic origin and other attributes such as overall head shape etc. On normal "open" eyes not even the Iris is fully visible (the upper and lower lids cover parts of it).

Mylenium

munky
12-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Hi wingwalker

Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave 7 has amongst other things an organic head modelling tutorial which I found pretty good and it's packed with great stuff. Sort of a lightwave bible, but longer! Also you should try www.flay.com and also go to lightwave tutorials on the web (the link is on flay)

merry christmas

regards

paul