PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 2018 Announcement - Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DColboch
12-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Hi there,

Thought it would be best to set up a place for you all to discuss the release news (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155327-Hello-from-NewTek%85-the-silence-is-over).

Donetta

Marander
12-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Sorry too many marketing lies and empty promises the past 2-3 years for me. Not impressed at all.

Dillon
12-12-2017, 10:11 AM
Okay! I'll start!

Everything revealed so far looks awesome, curious to learn more.

2 things - proper undo implemented??

And - there's no mention of the new geometry engine that was shown off in the blog. Was the new geo engine abandoned??

Thank you,

Dillon

samurai_x
12-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Okay! I'll start!

Everything revealed so far looks awesome, curious to learn more.

2 things - proper undo implemented??

And - there's no mention of the new geometry engine that was shown off in the blog. Was the new geo engine abandoned??

Thank you,

Dillon

Proper undo would definitely make me upgrade. But fat chance they're in.

So who's upgrading?

Nicolas Jordan
12-12-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm looking forward to the new rendering engine and also the native VR camera! Since the rendering engine has been overhauledjust wondering if there is a rounded edge shader in LW 2018 now?

alesxander
12-12-2017, 10:14 AM
good news... too much time waiting for it

regards from costa rica

GandB
12-12-2017, 10:15 AM
No communication. No thanks.

I will add this:

If you "don't want to dwell on the past"; and let us in on why the blackout occurred, why should we trust that you'll not be doing it in the future? NewTek literally has no leg to stand on here. You're asking us to blindly trust you....yet again.

Dillon
12-12-2017, 10:17 AM
If a proper undo has not been implemented, count me out. Been studying Blender this past couple months, and I'm impressed. 2.8's real time renderer is phenomenal.

Please have a proper undo stack.... It's 2018..?

gra
12-12-2017, 10:17 AM
proper undo implemented??

literally the only reason i would upgrade.

hypersuperduper
12-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Would someone on the dev team be able to fill us in on some of the workflow improvements that have not been covered in the blog?

Paul_Boland
12-12-2017, 10:23 AM

I really hope the Sliders have been fixed!

12-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Chuckling...

What a crowd.

I'll be one that upgrades. While I am 'upgrading' my learning with Blender and maya, the muscle memory and tools here make a lot of my work get done faster. Modeling in maya has been interesting. Quad windows in blender help but, again, muscle memory gets it done quicker elsewhere.

sadkkf
12-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Chuckling...

What a crowd.

I'll be one that upgrades. While I am 'upgrading' my learning with Blender and maya, the muscle memory and tools here make a lot of my work get done faster. Modeling in maya has been interesting. Quad windows in blender help but, again, muscle memory gets it done quicker elsewhere.

+1

Whining for months about no news and when there is it's more whining. I'll be upgrading, too. Whatever newness is available is welcome.

allabulle
At last! Thanks.

Marander
3 years and the UI has still not been fixed? Not to mention high res screen support.

It doesn't seem to bother LW3DG, this is a screenshot from their release material:

achilles
12-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Thanks, we dindn't wait invain. No other 3d application offers so much at this price. I' ll surely upgrade. Hope this will first step to a great future!

darkChief
12-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Definitely upgrading:)

raymondtrace
12-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Chuckling...

What a crowd.

Indeed.

I'm limited in hardware options (no Octane) so if the native renderer shaves time off previous versions, it is a brutally simple upgrade decision that often pays for itself in a couple weeks.

If you "don't want to dwell on the past"; and let us in on why the blackout occurred, why should we trust that you'll not be doing it in the future? NewTek literally has no leg to stand on here. You're asking us to blindly trust you....yet again.

I don't mean to point out the obvious but as a LW user since Amiga, I can't recall Newtek acting any other way*, and yet they still produce an effective/affordable tool. Go figure. It works and so do I.

* I was on hiatus from 3D during "core" so I might have missed something.

paulg625
12-12-2017, 10:50 AM
I will be upgrading looking forward to the PBR implementation, new lighting and cel shading to name a few. Luckily I fell away from LightWave during the dark time and only recently came back with a desire to place it right in the middle of my workflow. So came back at perfect time.

CaptainMarlowe
12-12-2017, 10:53 AM
I think I'll upgrade, if PBR render engine delivers.

RebelHill
12-12-2017, 10:54 AM
if the native renderer shaves time off previous versions, it is a brutally simple upgrade decision that often pays for itself in a couple weeks.

It is noticably faster, however for me the best thing is the speed of "working with it"... The materials, lighting, when used correctly all just line up SO well, it makes going from plain grey mesh to fully finished scene SO quick, its fantastic. No more ages spent tweaking this, that, going back n forth trying to make things look nice. It's just all so predictable and sensible that the amount of time you spend getting to the point where you're ready to hit render is cut down significantly.

This, for instance, took me an hour, start to finish to set up (modeling time not included, t'was a downloaded model, and rendertime obv not included. Also, rendertime will vary, but on my 6 core 3.3 PhenomII, this was 5 mins per frame, with HDR, BF GI, soft traced reflections, real MoBlur and voxels).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku25iCqnPFw

Surfacing, lighting, GI, volumetrics... just spills out wonderfully with very little time needed.

js33
12-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Nice job Rebel. So all this time you were a beta tester and you were able to keep quite in the other almost 100 page thread. I wouldn't have been able to do that. :D

Dillon
12-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Done in 2018? BB-8 at Burning Man? :)

Please share MORE like this. Is NDA over and you all are now allowed to share your experience working with 2018? If so, can you answer 2 questions?

1. New undo system?
2. What happened to the new proposed geometry engine mentioned in the blog? Did it not make it through?

Looking forward to seeing a lot more.

It is noticably faster, however for me the best thing is the speed of "working with it"... The materials, lighting, when used correctly all just line up SO well, it makes going from plain grey mesh to fully finished scene SO quick, its fantastic. No more ages spent tweaking this, that, going back n forth trying to make things look nice. It's just all so predictable and sensible that the amount of time you spend getting to the point where you're ready to hit render is cut down significantly.

This, for instance, took me an hour, start to finish to set up (modeling time not included, t'was a downloaded model, and rendertime obv not included. Also, rendertime will vary, but on my 6 core 3.3 PhenomII, this was 5 mins per frame, with HDR, BF GI, soft traced reflections, real MoBlur and voxels).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku25iCqnPFw

Surfacing, lighting, GI, volumetrics... just spills out wonderfully with very little time needed.

RebelHill
12-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Nice job Rebel. So all this time you were a beta tester and you were able to keep quite in the other almost 100 page thread. I wouldn't have been able to do that. :D

Cheers... though, how d'y'know I didnt just hack the NT server and steal it... I think ur being presumptuous.

Matt
12-12-2017, 11:04 AM
If so, can you answer 2 questions?

1. New undo system?
2. What happened to the new proposed geometry engine mentioned in the blog? Did it not make it through?

1. No new Undo system (sorry)
2. Layout benefits from it speed wise

Matt
12-12-2017, 11:07 AM
3 years and the UI has still not been fixed? Not to mention high res screen support.

Parts of 2018 are using Qt for the GUI, but the rest of the GUI needs to updated

samurai_x
12-12-2017, 11:08 AM
So are we going to get a roadmap? Andrew Cross in the house?

Or will lightwave be left with users who are just too old to learn a new app as its customer base. :D

RebelHill
12-12-2017, 11:12 AM
Done in 2018?
1. New undo system?

a. Yes.
1. No new undo... but there has been some overhauling to the UI foundations from what Ive gleaned. Does that mean a more "undoable" thing is coming down the line? No clue, but there is (so far as I know) an in progress "swap out" going on under the hood. Not entirely visible now, later, who knows.
2. Its there, but layout only... you see improvements for playback of deforming meshes and display rates of higher poly ones.

Greenlaw
12-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Congratulations to the dev team! Good work guys, and good luck with the launch.

tyrot
12-12-2017, 11:17 AM
rebel ... do you have any archviz type of render scene?

is it simple as Octane, especially AA and other settings ...

Dillon
12-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Thank you for the quick and direct answer. Is a new undo system in the works?

My initial impression was "meh". But I'm starting to feel a little bit less skeptical.

1. No new Undo system (sorry)
2. Layout benefits from it speed wise

Matt
12-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Thank you for the quick and direct answer. Is a new undo system in the works?

There was some groundwork that could end up being part of that, but it's early days.

RebelHill
12-12-2017, 11:24 AM
do you have any archviz type of render scene?

I did a redux of the Oscar Anchondo loft...

Matt
12-12-2017, 11:24 AM
A materials test

https://youtu.be/lkiRsDp55uU

js33
12-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Cheers... though, how d'y'know I didnt just hack the NT server and steal it... I think ur being presumptuous.

I didn't know but now that you are reveling scenes done with 2018 I figured you must have been a beta tester all along. :D

js33
12-12-2017, 11:33 AM
A materials test

https://youtu.be/lkiRsDp55uU

Nice. I like the SSS ones the most.

samurai_x
12-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Is that upgrade price that is limited up to march applicable to even the Core users that were promised 5 discounted upgrade prices?

SBowie
12-12-2017, 11:39 AM
So are we going to get a roadmap?I would be astounded if you did, sorry. The good Dr. spends a lot more time considering things like this than anyone I know, and I think his reply would be similar to the general thrust of this post that he wrote a little while back:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?154257-I-really-do-lose-my-patience-dear-NewTek-company&p=1514354&viewfull=1#post1514354

(Hopefully he'll forgive me for speaking for him; he's traveling this week.)

vncnt
12-12-2017, 11:39 AM
It's alive?
Prove it.

hypersuperduper
12-12-2017, 11:40 AM
What’s the current compatability status of popular plugins in 2018? I figure anything In modeler is probably fine, but how about paint weights or dpont nodes, or other layout stuff. I assume all of these plugin developers were beta testers.

Marander
12-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Parts of 2018 are using Qt for the GUI, but the rest of the GUI needs to updated

Thank you for your honest answer.

No GUI fix or significant improvements, no undo update(!), no updated Text tools(!), no Spline improvements(!), lack of other basic functionality like Snapping or Sculpting, limited geometry speed improvements, no parametric objects (besides Sphere and Plane, seriously?), no Substance support, almost no backwards compatibility, no unification / first modeling tools in Layout, completely outdated Modeler with no updates worth mentioning... more 'under the hood' statements and not much to be seen of a modern architecture...

I guess that's it for me.

Matt
12-12-2017, 11:44 AM
What’s the current compatability status of popular plugins in 2018? I figure anything In modeler is probably fine, but how about paint weights or dpont nodes, or other layout stuff. I assume all of these plugin developers were beta testers.

Octane works
LWCAD works
Denis will need to update some of his stuff, I'll let him comment on that
Mike Wolf is on his stuff I believe
T4D not sure personally, I don't have it

mummyman
12-12-2017, 11:46 AM
Octane works
LWCAD works

How about 3rd Powers?

Matt
Thank you for your honest answer.

No GUI fix or significant improvements, no undo update(!), no updated Text tools(!), no Spline improvements(!), lack of other basic functionality like Snapping or Sculpting, limited geometry speed improvements, no parametric objects (besides Sphere and Plane, seriously?), no Substance support, almost no backwards compatibility, no unification / first modeling tools in Layout, completely outdated Modeler with no updates worth mentioning... more 'under the hood' statements and not much to be seen of a modern architecture...

Sorry you feel that way.

fishhead
Thank you ...

Is that a promise?

Matt
12-12-2017, 11:50 AM

SBowie
12-12-2017, 11:53 AM
Is that a promise?Let's play nice ...

Markc
12-12-2017, 11:56 AM
If it's available Jan 1st......is it all automated purchase system?
I imagine LW3DG will still be on down time.

Phil
12-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Any more information on the deformation engine? Some examples would be good, the blog being so aged.

sadkkf
12-12-2017, 12:04 PM

Can anyone chime in on T4D and 3rd Powers compatibility?

mummyman
12-12-2017, 12:06 PM
Excellent! Thanks

Matt
12-12-2017, 12:06 PM
If it's available Jan 1st......is it all automated purchase system?
I imagine LW3DG will still be on down time.

It will be manned, it doesn't take much to deploy

Markc
12-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Cool.....can't wait :D:rock:

Luc_Feri
12-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Best of luck with the release!!

I will get on board!! Gone is the old................followed by some Yoda analogies.

Let it all go. All the best team.

oliverhotz
12-12-2017, 12:22 PM
OD2018 (upgrade from 2015 tools) will DEFINITELY work with 2018... some videos while you wait for the release... i'll be updating them every day till release.
The Tools will be available at the same time as LW 2018

https://vimeo.com/album/4335852

Cageman
12-12-2017, 12:32 PM
no Substance support

We have tested LW 2018 with Substance painter and the resulting textures hooks nicely into the Principled BSDF shader. Oliver Hots ODToolset contains tools that expands the workflow between Substance and LW 2018.

Nicolas Jordan
12-12-2017, 12:46 PM
From a marketing standpoint I find the yearly naming convention of Lightwave makes no sense now more than ever. A yearly naming convention makes the most sense to me if a new release is pushed out every year not every 2 or 3 years. In my opinion Lightwave 2015 should have really been named Lightwave 12 and this release would have made more sense being named Lightwave 13. Maybe the original intention was to have a yearly release but that obviously not happening and likely won't happen for the next release either.

CaptainMarlowe
12-12-2017, 12:46 PM
That's great to hear. Thx Matt, Craig, Oliver and Cageman for your inputs.

oliverhotz
12-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Regarding Substance Support..

I've got the substance support taken care of... I'll post a little vid maybe later, probably tomorrow... its nice..

CaptainMarlowe
12-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Even more interesting !

Curly_01
12-12-2017, 12:57 PM
I would like to see video's of the new modifier stack and the new modeller tools. Can you animate lattice deformers etc like with the japanese plugin? More video's or a launch presentation showing of the features.

prometheus
12-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Can anyone chime in on T4D and 3rd Powers compatibility?

I am pretty sure I saw jascha himself stating it would be compatible with the next lighwave version, not T4D though...Only turbulenceFD. :)
and I think it has been mentioned the same with 3rd powers as well.

What I try to dig out except for the compability, that is if the sdk now allows for jascha to implement particle advection, compability alone with the next releaase of lightwave will still not make me get it, unless that issue is adressed, unfortunately he hasn´t responded to answer that question on his own forum.

pinkmouse
12-12-2017, 01:00 PM
It's difficult.

Way before all this 2016/17/18, In fact since about 11.0, I've been saying that LW needed to stop and fix major issues if it was ever going to have a future and hence, I've never been frustrated by the time it took to get the new release out of the door. However I've been very annoyed about LW3DG/Newtek and their attitude to their paying customers. Firstly the whole LW2015 issue, which really should have been 11.7, especially as it has many buggy and unreliable features on OSX, it was not worthy of a paid upgrade. Secondly the whole lack of communication over the past two years, say no more, it's all been repeated to death already.

So, now we have a new LW. Looks okay, and has a reasonable upgrade price. Does it have many features I want? Not on the surface, but that's not a major issue, I always knew that would take time. But if I'm going to re-invest in LW, rather than continuing down the route of, erm, other tools, (by your command, oh great Moderator! :) ), I need to know where it's going.

Donneta, by all means don't dwell on the past, but do learn from it, and never do things that way again.

Nicolas Jordan
12-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Is there a rounded edge shader is Lightwave 2018?

GraphXs
12-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Oliver's OD Tools are just amazing for 2018, It will really change the way we work and give us a lot of improvements!

https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/246048622

SBowie
12-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Not on the surface, but that's not a major issue, I always knew that would take time. But if I'm going to re-invest in LW, rather than continuing down the route of, erm, other tools, (by your command, oh great Moderator! :) ), I need to know where it's going.Thanks. We don't need to be silly about this, mind you. There's a point at which it becomes clear that someone is really only here any more to promote another product. That's not what the forums are for, as the forum policy makes clear.

prometheus
12-12-2017, 01:05 PM
It's difficult.

Way before all this 2016/17/18, In fact since about 11.0, I've been saying that LW needed to stop and fix major issues if it was ever going to have a future and hence, I've never been frustrated by the time it took to get the new release out of the door. However I've been very annoyed about LW3DG/Newtek and their attitude to their paying customers. Firstly the whole LW2015 issue, which really should have been 11.7, especially as it has many buggy and unreliable features on OSX, it was not worthy of a paid upgrade. Secondly the whole lack of communication over the past two years, say no more, it's all been repeated to death already.

So, now we have a new LW. Looks okay, and has a reasonable upgrade price. Does it have many features I want? Not on the surface, but that's not a major issue, I always knew that would take time. But if I'm going to re-invest in LW, rather than continuing down the route of, erm, other tools, (by your command, oh great Moderator! :) ), I need to know where it's going.

Donneta, by all means don't dwell on the past, but do learn from it, and never do things that way again.

Always ask for a roadmap..

, I also think it would be a good idea for the Lightwave team and marketing to actually give a sort of road map hint on what will be priority for the updates that isn´t there in this release, and actually put that up for discussion before the upgrade offer is closed.

Anttij77
12-12-2017, 01:07 PM
Cel shaded Hulk.

pinkmouse
12-12-2017, 01:11 PM
Always ask for a roadmap..

Yeah, I'm just getting caught up on the other threads! :D

m.d.
12-12-2017, 01:13 PM
As stated...let's forget the past and look to the future.

How about a future roadmap?

SBowie
12-12-2017, 01:17 PM
How about a future roadmap?Keep reading, you're eventually going to come on my related comment on this.

GraphXs
12-12-2017, 01:19 PM
2018 workflow for converting 2015 to 2018 works pretty good. It will take sometime to tweak the materials to take advantage of PBR, but the conversion tool will get ya there faster!

StereoMike
12-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Just curious.... may I ask for a roadmap?

prometheus
12-12-2017, 01:27 PM
As stated...let's forget the past and look to the future.

How about a future roadmap?

just look back and you may actually see the future, the road goes back and forth..it does however require an ability to analyze the road backwards and forwards...ehh, I think I actiaööu can see my bed ahead in my road map right now.. based on that very comment I just made.

Luc_Feri
12-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Some might have expected me to be on the offensive. ;)

Seriously happy some news has arrived at last. I'm liking what I see so far and I feel a lot has gone into this next release.

I'm not going to rain on anyone's parade, imagine turning up for work everyday and having piles of angst thrown at you day in day out?

You see, I have read some honest feedback from developers. This feature is not in yet but this part is being worked on etc. I like the open dialogue.

To the new VP, share with us going forward a road map. Share your ups and downs, share your troubles as well as the good things happening. Explain delays and issues, but show some works in progress so we can grasp some of the tangibles and let us ride the journey together, don't be separated.

Honesty and openness, even if it might not be all be that is expected is worth more to me than any smoke and mirrors.

Godspeed. LW3DG. :D

Paul_Boland
12-12-2017, 01:28 PM

I posted this earlier in this thread, but since the people behind Lightwave seem to be answering a few questions, can you tell me have the Sliders been updated? They've had these problems since Lightwave 8 (which when my first version of Lightwave)!

Cageman
12-12-2017, 01:32 PM
LightWave 3D homepage updated! Didn't see that. Neat! :)

https://www.lightwave3d.com/

Marander
12-12-2017, 01:34 PM

I've got the substance support taken care of... I'll post a little vid maybe later, probably tomorrow... its nice..

Some great tools you have developed, congrats! I like the pie menu and udim and substance export specially.

We have tested LW 2018 with Substance painter and the resulting textures hooks nicely into the Principled BSDF shader. Oliver Hots ODToolset contains tools that expands the workflow between Substance and LW 2018.

Thanks for the heads up. I meant native Substance support (ability to load sbars and work with the material parameters in LW etc.). However good to know that the textures work nice with the LW material system.

Some very nice renders Matt. I really like the glass / plastic / subsurface materials and volumetric renders alot. Not so convinced about metals yet.

I might still change my opinion based on the demo.

Sorry for my harsh words previously, I know you guys have a hard job to do.

Matt
12-12-2017, 01:37 PM

I posted this earlier in this thread, but since the people behind Lightwave seem to be answering a few questions, can you tell me have the Sliders been updated?

No, they are the same currently

Matt
12-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Not so convinced about metals yet.

Blame my shading skills! They do look really nice!

Cageman
12-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I meant native Substance support (ability to load sbars and work with the material parameters in LW etc.).

I think you should wait and see Olivers toolsets regarding Substance... ;)

Matt
12-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Wasn't made as big a deal of as it should, but OpenGL got an update ...

Left PBROpenGL Mode / right VPR

Luc_Feri
12-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Marander you are a good dude. Thanks for your messages etc.

I've accepted that maybe LW is not the big hitter it once was but for $295 a lot has gone into this release, I'm really liking some of the new features implemented.

I still attest to LW3DG, if you can somehow get the magic of Chronosculpt into layout in regards to polygon counts, I once had 80 Million polys tumbling I kid you not, it would smash it out of the park. :D

Luc_Feri
12-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Awesome Matt, really good stuff. :D

dyls_E
12-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Yay! pretty exciting. I use lightwave 2015 almost every day, and to me, it doesn't feel like old software, sure there are things i think could be easier or i don't understand, or feel limited by, but it is one of the only 3D packages i feel like overall you just know how it works and how to get the image you want onto your screen. So not too worried about the long wait, and it has been such a cheap software package since that whole hardcore membership thing- (tho that has probably expired now and going back to full price)

Anyways, can't wait to see lightwave 2018! And have already been planning how i can use the new features already!

(if i have one request, please make the software have 2018 in it's name when you go to set default programs on pc, my computer gets so confused with the versions and always annoys me when i think this is running super weird and look up and it has loaded up lightwave 11 and half my nodes aren't working haha)

tyrot
12-12-2017, 01:52 PM
wow

paulg625
12-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Yes conversion from a standard material to PBR should be easy but like in other softwares will just give generic maps you will need to tweak which is fine. I'm curious about Octane Render and changes to the Node editor to allow PBR features to be used in Octane.

silviotoledo
12-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Great News, but we will need production samples!

-----
FFX
-----
Show us some animated sample from FFX please.
Fiber works great on static, but during animation it goes crazy, especially if we have some styling over it.

------------
DEFORM STACK
------------
We wanna see this in action, especially to correct shoulder and pelvis deformation on characters.

------------
BULLET CLOTH
------------
Any update?

paulg625
12-12-2017, 01:58 PM
I agree the only true issue I was having was how everything was going PBR and not have a good path into lightwave to take advantage of PBR. Of course others who know more and used it longer have their reasons to complain and I respect that to. But I had already decided to make the commitment to lightwave as my goto 3D software even if no other updates where made. And coodoos to NewTek for keeping the promise of not taking Lightwave into a subscription software.

Yay! pretty exciting. I use lightwave 2015 almost every day, and to me, it doesn't feel like old software, sure there are things i think could be easier or i don't understand, or feel limited by, but it is one of the only 3D packages i feel like overall you just know how it works and how to get the image you want onto your screen. So not too worried about the long wait, and it has been such a cheap software package since that whole hardcore membership thing- (tho that has probably expired now and going back to full price)

Anyways, can't wait to see lightwave 2018! And have already been planning how i can use the new features already!

(if i have one request, please make the software have 2018 in it's name when you go to set default programs on pc, my computer gets so confused with the versions and always annoys me when i think this is running super weird and look up and it has loaded up lightwave 11 and half my nodes aren't working haha)

oliverhotz
12-12-2017, 02:11 PM
I have a PBR importer dealing with those maps and automatically setting everything up. you just point it to a texture set... will show a video of that in the next days.. (with the choice of octane or lw material)

50one
12-12-2017, 02:15 PM
What about roadmap.

What's the roadmap?? There is one for sure?

ElusiveElephant
12-12-2017, 02:26 PM

I posted this earlier in this thread, but since the people behind Lightwave seem to be answering a few questions, can you tell me have the Sliders been updated? They've had these problems since Lightwave 8 (which when my first version of Lightwave)!

Worth getting that formally reported as a feature request.

There were some bugs squashed with the sliders though.
They used to go a bit weird if you were too far from the origin. Now they use an orthographic projection for OpenGL, so don't screw up when you move the view too far away from the 0,0,0.

It's a small change, but many things have been touched and fixed in 2018.

Attached is a video of before and after.

https://youtu.be/_GZ5PyXbgJM

paulk
12-12-2017, 02:31 PM
What about roadmap.

What's the roadmap?? There is one for sure?

It's coming in 2019. :p

graviel
12-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Endless drama threads are finally over, my goodness! :D Now that u guys can finally go to the restroom, lets talk about features! ;-D Do you think the order of operation stack is working as the one in modo? Will this facilitate easier Hippydrome kind of deformer rig?.. Did any of the fortunate beta testers tried some insanely big geo? how big?

mummyman
12-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Oliver, maybe you have or will have something Paul Boland was looking for in terms of updating sliders in LW?

Anttij77
12-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Things you could not do in 2015 and before:

Volumetric Area lights, Spherical lights, Photometric lights, etc.
The API now allows any 3rd party to create new lights with full volumetric support.

BigHache
12-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Is that upgrade price that is limited up to march applicable to even the Core users that were promised 5 discounted upgrade prices?

Curious about this too. A three month upgrade window seems rather narrow.

Can perhaps Matt or someone give a quick 'yay' or 'nay' if the following are implemented in this immediate release?
1) Smoothing groups
2) Python scripting update

Anttij77
12-12-2017, 03:04 PM
A quick thruster using the new spot light and the new node based shading implementation for lights.

silviotoledo
12-12-2017, 03:07 PM
So, attached are some scene and sample of what I really would like to see in action to solve character animation rigging problems. How to deal with shoulder and leg deform . These are real problems during a production.

RebelHill
12-12-2017, 03:19 PM
So, attached are some scene and sample of what I really would like to see in action to solve character animation rigging problems. How to deal with shoulder and leg deform . These are real problems during a production.

You dont actually NEED the stack to solve those sorts of issues, there's a methods for dealing with that now. The stack, however, does introduce a couple NEW tricks that can be used (additionally helped by the inclusion of a couple new nodes).

MarcusM
12-12-2017, 03:20 PM
A quick thruster using the new spot light and the new node based shading implementation for lights.

Can you say why there is export in Model tab?
I hope there is FBX exporter in I/O? ;] What is newest FBX version in exporter?

Anttij77
12-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Can you say why there is export in Model tab?
I hope there is FBX exporter in I/O? ;] What is newest FBX version in exporter?

There is FBX export, yes.

silviotoledo
12-12-2017, 03:25 PM
You dont actually NEED the stack to solve those sorts of issues, there's a methods for dealing with that now. The stack, however, does introduce a couple NEW tricks that can be used (additionally helped by the inclusion of a couple new nodes).

Once morph deform happens after bones deform, bone deform destroys or demages the morph correction itself. The hability to change the order would be helpfull. Do you have some sample of this kind of correction without LW 2018? Within LW 2018 would also be amazing.

RebelHill
12-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Once morph deform happens after bones deform, bone deform destroys or demages the morph correction itself.

Ok, there was this...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149194-New-Blog-Post-The-Modifier-Stack&p=1460935&viewfull=1#post1460935

And later in the same thread this...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149194-New-Blog-Post-The-Modifier-Stack&p=1461143&viewfull=1#post1461143

But even without any of that, you can still do a lot with LW as is, I do all the time, just using additional bones for shaping, as you can see here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-E0HhLyAJY

Ofc, such techniques can be added to and expanded with morphs, but the problems you're having CAN be solved now, and have had solutions in LW for many years.

3D Kiwi
12-12-2017, 03:43 PM
Is merging modeler and Layout still going to happen in the future?

Phil
12-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Things you could not do in 2015 and before:

Volumetric Area lights, Spherical lights, Photometric lights, etc.
The API now allows any 3rd party to create new lights with full volumetric support.

Is that true volumetrics in the sense that you can create caustic events from lenses, and volumetrics that are affected by mirrors?

RobertGraham
12-12-2017, 03:53 PM
While it's great to see that we are finally getting 'Next' I do have a few things that I've noticed in the press release vs previous marketing which could raise issues in the future.

Approximately 12 months ago Lightwave 3D Group released a Cross Grade offer and with it did a big post about 'New Pricing Structure' as part of that certain promises where made including that you would be able to upgrade at any time from the last 'Previous' version to the 'newest' for 295$ and from any version prior then that for the normal 795$

LightWave Special Upgrade Price from a Current Version - $295 (USD)
LightWave Regular Upgrade Price from a Non-Current Version - $795 (USD)
LightWave Full License Price - $1195

When the previous head of LW3DG was asked about it and if it was now the 'normal' pricing this was the answer:

Hi Ernest,
The plan is that this will be ongoing upgrade price for those of you that stay current starting with the next major release of LightWave and trust me, that is a release that you don't want to miss out on, when I say it will begin a new era for LightWave innovation I am serious about that. More details will be coming in the next few weeks. The decision to take advantage of our current offer is really up to each individual but I personally think that rewarding those that support our development so much through staying current is a great way to say thank you.

There are more responses to this etc but the general gist was those on 2015 would be able to update to (what is now) 2018 at any time for 295$US, however reading the current press release that offer is now 'You can do it until March'.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm lucky baring a house burning down or something i'm likely to have the money to buy at 12:01 UTC (Come on Marketing GMT shouldn't be being used for time co-ordination it only exists for 1/2 a year). But there are a lot of people who won't and may not until mid year tax time etc, especailly given the release is RIGHT on the time of year where most non Corporate customers are going to be strapped for cash if they have families.

It would be nice to get some clarification if the statements made by the Marketing team previously will be held to?

Will people be able to upgrade from 2015 - 2018 at ANY TIME for 295USD?

Because a lot of US indies kinda relied on that promise.

P.S Please say you finally gave us Smoothing groups.. Please? we've only been asking for them for 17 years ;)

devine
12-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Long time listener, first time caller, (been using LW for 20 years and posted here about 2 times). Are there going to be any tutorials on the new stuff coming out on the 1st? I'll have a week before work starts again. would like to be up and running before that hits.

MAUROCOR
12-12-2017, 04:07 PM

Interesting question. That is something that I would like to know too.

Will the merging happen?

3dslider
12-12-2017, 04:13 PM
Finally, great news !

Any news from 3rd party for plugin ? It is unchanged or there is support for C++ or C/C++ ? Please make wiki developer for more info where they share technic, knowledge, etc, thanks.

erikals
12-12-2017, 04:28 PM

Interesting question. That is something that I would like to know too.

Will the merging happen?

hopefully in 2020
it was a long-term plan according to Rob. now, who knows. we need a roadmap.

erikals
12-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Noise Reduction Filter:
worth the upgrade alone?   :)
very curious about this one...
does it work like the DPont one...

Luc_Feri
12-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Just read through again and again all the new feature updates.

What's not to like eh? Tons of new stuff and features. It looks like a solid release with the additions, hopefully as stated, the beta testing has been long and arduous, if it is very robust then great stuff.

UDIMS used to be unofficially supported, just to let you all know you can use it on the 2015 version right now, but it requires a workaround. ;)

I've brought in multi-tiled uv'd objects years ago. You had to create a different or copy of your surface layer and wire in your separate diffuse textures, but it worked. It didn't matter if you had 15 tiles out of the 0-1 UV space, it still worked. :D
I'm happy though it is now officially supported.

Now that Viktor has released 5.5 a week or so back, I've gone from feeling very deflated to feeling great with this Next news!!

Just one other thing to sway others on the fence. There is a new VR Camera. You can use your mesh/visible lights to create your own HDRI Maps. Just remember or think of this, I paid nearly £200 for HDRLS 4 MODO plugin to do this same very thing, it is a very cool new feature and not to be scoffed at or the very thing itself, a VR Camera.

Marander
12-12-2017, 04:44 PM
While it's great to see that we are finally getting 'Next' I do have a few things that I've noticed in the press release vs previous marketing which could raise issues in the future.

Approximately 12 months ago Lightwave 3D Group released a Cross Grade offer and with it did a big post about 'New Pricing Structure' as part of that certain promises where made including that you would be able to upgrade at any time from the last 'Previous' version to the 'newest' for 295$ and from any version prior then that for the normal 795$

When the previous head of LW3DG was asked about it and if it was now the 'normal' pricing this was the answer:

There are more responses to this etc but the general gist was those on 2015 would be able to update to (what is now) 2018 at any time for 295$US, however reading the current press release that offer is now 'You can do it until March'.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm lucky baring a house burning down or something i'm likely to have the money to buy at 12:01 UTC (Come on Marketing GMT shouldn't be being used for time co-ordination it only exists for 1/2 a year). But there are a lot of people who won't and may not until mid year tax time etc, especailly given the release is RIGHT on the time of year where most non Corporate customers are going to be strapped for cash if they have families.

It would be nice to get some clarification if the statements made by the Marketing team previously will be held to?

P.S Please say you finally gave us Smoothing groups.. Please? we've only been asking for them for 17 years ;)

That's exactly where my problem is with NewTek, they don't stick to their word. You can bet that that there will be an extension, then an easter sale, last chance, summer sale etc.

m.d.
12-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Keep reading, you're eventually going to come on my related comment on this.

You mean in this thread?

m.d.
12-12-2017, 05:00 PM
just wanted to congratulate the Dev team....
despite the critiquing by myself and others, you guys executed an obviously large project that is a big step forward for LW

For whoever is responsible for keeping us in the dark...great job as well. Probably only lost a small handful of users..at most.
Brilliant contrarian marketing exercise to wean out the herd so only true believers remain.

Matt
12-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Another render ...

m.d.
12-12-2017, 05:01 PM

impressive...definitely an undersold feature

Matt
12-12-2017, 05:02 PM
A bit of SSS

Bill Carey
12-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Looks like plenty there to justify the $295, I’m in. Congrats on finally breaking through lol.

Luc_Feri
12-12-2017, 05:05 PM
That's exactly where my problem is with NewTek, they don't stick to their word. You can bet that that there will be an extension, then an easter sale, last chance, summer sale etc.

Mate, with all due respects, I hear what you say but I've honestly let that go now.

My main concern all along was the fear that LW would become some cheap, give away type of software with some of the marketing aspects. I currently have been bombarded day after day with a pop-up for Corel Painter 2017 upgrade, one that has steadily risen from 40% off upgrade to black friday 55% and brush packs and they are still extending until today.

I honestly felt that Lightwave had more to offer and almost needed to respect its self-worth more and not sell itself short and be like that, let the product speak for itself type of thing.

However it is such a tough market now, especially with Indie products for Houdini and Maya LT. More seats and more users can only be good for the future of LW, I knew this then and I obviously know that now. I was only being genuine for my love of the software, I actually in a strange way wanted LW to have the confidence to feel its self worth more.

I still feel even after all that has happened, LW is the easiest package to learn and get to grips with out of all of them.

Matt
12-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Just digging out renders, don't mind me!

Luc_Feri
12-12-2017, 05:12 PM
despite the critiquing by myself and others, you guys executed an obviously large project that is a big step forward for LW

For whoever is responsible for keeping us in the dark...great job as well. Probably only lost a small handful of users..at most.
Brilliant contrarian marketing exercise to wean out the herd so only true believers remain.

Maybe, maybe not. If you would have asked me one month ago, if I was going to upgrade, I might have said no way, lol. I interpreted the silence wrongly and thought it was dying, it is very much alive after all.

One thing I urge is, if people feel the need to stick to a decision and stubbornly say "I said this and that is final, I'm done", then that is their decision or loss.

I used to be too proud to admit being wrong, my old man was very stubborn like that, but I like to think I'm maturing, maybe even just this last month even with things going on outside of myself and in my personal life.

I was wrong and LW is alive and kicking and I'm glad it is. :D

hypersuperduper
12-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Any changes to how the documentation in lw2018 will work? Any chance it will be online with revisions and updates as needed?

ncr100
12-12-2017, 05:16 PM

Congrats on the Qt integration in the same app! That is a very positive update.

Will the Python scripting engine be able to strike-up GUIs utilizing Qt? I'm still hankering to make a plugin-manager to automate plugin installation and Qt would be a fun way to facilitate that.

SBowie
12-12-2017, 05:18 PM
That's exactly where my problem is with NewTek, they don't stick to their word. You can bet that that there will be an extension, then an easter sale, last chance, summer sale etc.I don't really feel like I'd get too badly bent out of shape over a sale being *extended. If a sale were cut short, that would be pretty annoying, but I know for a fact that whenever anyone who feels hard done by in any situation of this sort reaches out to sales, they bend over backwards to come up with some satisfying compromise.

I do think I've read in the past that there would be a window of time for taking advantage of special pricing, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If there is an explicit statement to the contrary that is important to you, I'd locate it and discuss it with sales.

* I know there can be the odd person who rushed to take advantage of a sale thinking it was about to expire, but that can always happen and I don't think it affects many people (seems to me every car dealership around here announces 'best deal ever' about once a month, but I don't take it very seriously).

Cageman
12-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Any changes to how the documentation in lw2018 will work? Any chance it will be online with revisions and updates as needed?

Press F1 and it will take you to a place where the documentation is stored, maintained and updated when needed. I do believe you will need an internet connection for that to work though. ;)

Matt
12-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Sim generated in Houdini, rendered in LightWave 2018 using a simple gradient on the emission channel:

https://youtu.be/VZ5o6YlrNB4

paulg625
12-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Cool be looking for it...

I have a PBR importer dealing with those maps and automatically setting everything up. you just point it to a texture set... will show a video of that in the next days.. (with the choice of octane or lw material)

lardbros
12-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Sim generated in Houdini, rendered in LightWave 2018 using a simple gradient on the emission channel:

Whoah, that's amazing! Struggling to believe that was rendered in LightWave! Thanks for sharing.

Greenlaw
12-12-2017, 05:37 PM

It's an online doc. I assume it will be continously updated as needed.

Mr_Q
12-12-2017, 05:40 PM
Octane works
LWCAD works

TFD mostly works. You have to remove the COLOR texture "T" otherwise the smoke will accept no light. I've done plenty of pyro and smoke with TFD and not often felt the need to color the smoke other than the base color you can chose. Still, something to be aware of.

erikals
12-12-2017, 05:42 PM

better this, than the AutoDesk way of not sticking to their word.  [to be discontinued]

hypersuperduper
12-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Press F1 and it will take you to a place where the documentation is stored, maintained and updated when needed. I do believe you will need an internet connection for that to work though. ;)

That’s much better than the current pdf solution! They really appear to have addressed a lot of nagging issues along with the big foundational changes that were promised.

Luc_Feri
12-12-2017, 05:50 PM
One question about FiberFX.

If they are using a new primitive object architecture and they are able to get any material on fibers, I'm guessing that each fiber can create self shadowing on each strand or at least a fast self shadow effect?

Mr_Q
12-12-2017, 05:55 PM
OLD ASSETS FROM 2015 prior in to 2018....

As some one who has been converting 2015 and prior assets for a while, I wanted to set your minds at ease. Once you've learned the new PBR Surface Editor, and that won't take long, getting your assets converted and looking snazzy takes very little time. Of course, it can take a little longer depending on the complexity of a mesh and its surfacing.

Using the built-in convert option does most of the work. Then going in to each surface and uniquely adjusting each channel to "fit better" in a PBR workflow is where most of the time is spent. You should always have a nice common ground to tweak your surfaces. Have a base scene with lighting and an HDR that is well suited. Something PBR/multi-app friendly. Even if you don't have access to PBR paint programs, you can do WONDERS with the Color Tool node and your existing image maps. So even if you don't have "PBR" maps, making them look good in the PBR system is possible. Sure they are not 100% PBR, but you can come close. This way you can get all your old assets in to the new system quickly.

Marander
12-12-2017, 06:14 PM
If there is an explicit statement to the contrary that is important to you, I'd locate it and discuss it with sales.[/INDENT]

There has been a sale going on for two years and many of them claimed to be the final chance, few days left.

Additionally to that we were promised to be able to upgrade for the reduced price if current. The prices announced were higher to motivate users to be current otherwise the upgrade is $795.

LW2015 has lot of issues and there seems to be no more updates but the product is still on sale. We were also promised to get the most modern architecture of 3D applications in LWNext.

Now the price is back to $995 and the upgrade price is only valid until March (no matter if you're current).

There was a long silence and LWs future seemed very uncertain (and still is to me), still we don't know why NewTek can not be transparent, there seems to be no legal restriction.

Alot of time has passed and decision have seemingly been revised. NewTek can of course be rebellion as much as they want, they're a private company. I don't see how it's good for them. Just talking from my perspective, I prefer other ways.

Enough said, I'm looking forward for more LWNext news and renders now.

erikals
12-12-2017, 06:42 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138790&d=1513103036

i noticed these Aliased pixels in LightWave 2011, where they could be solved partly by using "Limited Dynamic Range"
https://i.imgur.com/pdhzqMr.jpg

note sure if LW2018 has something similar. no biggie, however something to be aware of.

gar26lw
12-12-2017, 07:27 PM

A very big, sincere thankyou for doing that Oliver. :)

Cageman
12-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Instead of using GI, one can use the Environment Light; it will use whatever you put as a background image, gradient, Image World or Textured Environment, and use it as a light source. A bit like what BG Radiosity did back in the days, but, obviously, much faster and much cleaner. So, the only thing that is lighting the examples below is a single Environment light with an HDRI used in Textured Environment.

Rendertime on my machine (see my signature for specs) is around 3-4 minutes.

gar26lw
12-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Ok, there was this...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149194-New-Blog-Post-The-Modifier-Stack&p=1460935&viewfull=1#post1460935

And later in the same thread this...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149194-New-Blog-Post-The-Modifier-Stack&p=1461143&viewfull=1#post1461143

But even without any of that, you can still do a lot with LW as is, I do all the time, just using additional bones for shaping, as you can see here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-E0HhLyAJY

Ofc, such techniques can be added to and expanded with morphs, but the problems you're having CAN be solved now, and have had solutions in LW for many years.

Will your videos be updated for LW 2018 or are they good to go as is just now? Was considering buying

gar26lw
12-12-2017, 07:35 PM

Is that OGL update able to go into modeler too ? If not what is stopping it from happening?

On other thing, what would stop modeller from having VPR in a "frprime" style viewport ? Just for surfacing and modelling feedback.

gar26lw
12-12-2017, 07:46 PM
That’s much better than the current pdf solution! They really appear to have addressed a lot of nagging issues along with the big foundational changes that were promised.

looks like its using confluence

Paul_Boland
12-12-2017, 07:56 PM
No, they are the same currently

Saddened to hear this but thanks for the prompt reply.

gamedesign1
12-12-2017, 08:05 PM
I don't mean to be too negative, as I can clearly see that the rendering side of LightWave has greatly improved. But the features that I wanted fixed that I have already paid for in 2015.3 still aren't fixed :( eg. the modelling tools when using Catmull Clark). I now use Octane for all of my rendering so I am struggling to find a reason to upgrade. I personally think that more people would have appreciated upgraded modelling tools and general UI improvements over the new rendering engine. I could be wrong though obviously. Its a such a shame to me as I wanted to keep up with the LightWave upgrades, but this version would be of very little use to me I think. What is it going to cost me if I upgrade the next time around?

gamedesign1
12-12-2017, 08:22 PM

That looks great :)

erikals
12-12-2017, 08:32 PM
I don't mean to be too negative, as I can clearly see that the rendering side of LightWave has greatly improved. But the features that I wanted fixed that I have already paid for in 2015.3 still aren't fixed :( eg. the modelling tools when using Catmull Clark). I now use Octane for all of my rendering so I am struggling to find a reason to upgrade. I personally think that more people would have appreciated upgraded modelling tools and general UI improvements over the new rendering engine. I could be wrong though obviously. Its a such a shame to me as I wanted to keep up with the LightWave upgrades, but this version would be of very little use to me I think. What is it going to cost me if I upgrade the next time around?

maybe you shouldn't since this upgrade is not for everyone.
they had to change the Mesh Engine first, thereby ME and forced Rendering Engine rewrite got the attention.
word is that Modeler attention is next, however, this was 2-3 years ago.

you could skip it, at $300 i'd say you should Absolutely upgrade anyway, if you use it to make money.

personally, if Layout got the PowerUp button we hoped for, i wish they stop upgrading Modeler, and instead integrate Modeler tools in Layout.

rcallicotte
12-12-2017, 08:54 PM
Can't wait.

oliverhotz
12-12-2017, 09:14 PM
regarding substance support... i just released another video that'll show you what my implementation is.

https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/247086500

samurai_x
12-12-2017, 09:15 PM

With Rob gone I think its out of the picture. Matt and Lino afair like the split app from previous posts that I read. This is what makes lightwave "special" :D

samurai_x
12-12-2017, 09:20 PM

Hi Ernest,
The plan is that this will be ongoing upgrade price for those of you that stay current starting with the next major release of LightWave and trust me, that is a release that you don't want to miss out on, when I say it will begin a new era for LightWave innovation I am serious about that. More details will be coming in the next few weeks. The decision to take advantage of our current offer is really up to each individual but I personally think that rewarding those that support our development so much through staying current is a great way to say thank you.

A release on January 1st seems bad timing. Who has money after the holidays when you've spent it all gifts, parties and parties?
And limiting it to 3 months?

Snosrap
12-12-2017, 09:20 PM

Super excited to give interiors a go with the new PBR, but to be honest this doesn't seem all that great. And very noisy too.

samurai_x
12-12-2017, 09:26 PM

Haha

clintonman
12-12-2017, 09:29 PM

Does the new OpenGL exist in Modeler? and does it support shadows in Layout?

oliverhotz
12-12-2017, 09:41 PM
here's the last one for tonight... welcome the PBR Importer..

https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/247088794

tburbage
12-12-2017, 09:54 PM

Congratulations on a Herculean effort to bring the new shading/lighting/rendering/volumetrics system up to production quality.
I can't wait to do native shading and rendering directly off of GGX PBR texture maps from Substance and 3DCoat.

I'll be curious to see what the texture baking story is with the new system where we want to author directly in LW, but then export to e.g. Unreal.

tburbage
12-12-2017, 10:36 PM

Great news. A single .pdf trying to cover all of LightWave was just too slow and cumbersome.

CaptainMarlowe
12-12-2017, 10:50 PM
I hope Oliver Hotz won't mind if I copy here a comment he made on FB that I deem very important too :
"Very thankful for the willingness of the devs to embark on the journey and work on the sdk as much as we did. By far the most significant LW Release yet on this front and many others. The possibility for 3rd party devs are awesome now. And just so that everyone understands.. the journey hasnt ended."

OD tools 2018 will evidently be my first purchase after upgrading. I sure wish smoothing groups, per importer and substance reader would have gone native, but upgrade price + OD tools licence will still be cheaper than jumping to another package, so from my POV, it's a real bargain.

m.d.
12-12-2017, 10:50 PM
here's the last one for tonight... welcome the PBR Importer..

https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/247088794

i think I'll be getting your tools soon....great work

ever gonna update jimmyrig?

oliverhotz
12-12-2017, 11:12 PM
ever gonna update jimmyrig?

http://jr.enki.ws all free.

Anonymous101
12-13-2017, 12:14 AM
It's not what was in life but what happens in the future. Sure, there are reasons for the long silence, but for me the result counts and that means LW2018. I am very happy about it, do not have to read in Blendermanuals and remain true to my love for Lightwave.

CaptainMarlowe
12-13-2017, 12:23 AM
Question about plugin compatibility : how about syflex ?

gar26lw
12-13-2017, 12:56 AM
regarding substance support... i just released another video that'll show you what my implementation is.

https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/247086500

hi, will there be a substance node, or substance shader, so you can apply a substance to a lot of materials at once and mass edit?

kolby
12-13-2017, 01:11 AM
Question about plugin compatibility : how about syflex ?

Syflex webpage:
LightWave 11.x - 2018 (Windows or Mac OS X)

Asticles
12-13-2017, 01:31 AM
Instead of using GI, one can use the Environment Light; it will use whatever you put as a background image, gradient, Image World or Textured Environment, and use it as a light source. A bit like what BG Radiosity did back in the days, but, obviously, much faster and much cleaner. So, the only thing that is lighting the examples below is a single Environment light with an HDRI used in Textured Environment.

Rendertime on my machine (see my signature for specs) is around 3-4 minutes.

Hi, great examples.

What about fireflies? Have you tested with high ev hdr?

Would you mind to test with an hdr like this?

https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?h=symmetrical_garden

Regards

Edit: also, some caustics would be fine.

CaptainMarlowe
12-13-2017, 02:24 AM
Syflex webpage:
LightWave 11.x - 2018 (Windows or Mac OS X)

Thx !

Revanto
12-13-2017, 02:52 AM
I could honestly rage about all the flawed things in LW. If they haven't fixed the most basic things in the program then why do they keep releasing new versions?

Honestly, have they even fixed the f*&%ing symmetry in Modeller in the upcoming version?

What about the poor edge sharpening and poor/incorrect shading from it? You can't even make changes to the model without messing the edge sharpening up.

The guys at Allegorithmic listen to their customers and release updates based on the issues they bring up. Why can't Newtek be more like that?

I still enjoy using LW, though, because I am used to it. I model more than render. I recently download a crap-ton of free plugins from the LW assets site that make up for the years of frustration I had to endure from missing or poor tools from LW itself.
The fact that people can make some great plugins shows that users want to make LW a better tool to work with. It's just a shame that, unless I use a plugin for a long time, I don't know what the hell it does and I have to go online to get a refresher course on the plugin. It would have been great if you could have added some sort of customisable reference library where you look up the plugins via LW without having to go online or making your own plugin reference library.
Oh, and what about scrolling down a long list of plugins without a scrollbar option instead of that stupid mouse dragging way of scrolling?
I don't know how many times I've had to stupidly guess where morph mixer would be in my deformations plugin list! Why wasn't morph mixer automatically an option in the object properties instead of something separate that had to be added? It could have been turned off automatically if a model didn't have morphs.

Something like Photoshop actions would also have been cool for both Modeller and Layout. Sure it wouldn't have been perfect but it would have saved many man hours for lots of people, I'm betting.

I also think that background layers in modeller could have more options than just 'wireframe'. I don't know how many times it would have been better to have front facing wireframe or smooth or wire shading that was slightly darker so you knew it was what polygons were the background polygons.

I know that some of you probably wanted a joined Modeller and Layout but that would be unfair to those of us who liked those two modules separate. It would have been best if there were an options to have both separated and joined modules to make both parties happy.

Well, I did rage a bit in the end but I felt I needed to get things off my chest. I've invested too much into LW already so, of course, I will be getting the upgrade. I hope that the new version will not disappoint me. I wish that Newtek took up the challenge of one-upping The new features that Modo always seems to come up with. Bevelling with square corners would make me a happy man and it would make my modelling workflow so much easier. Multishift is fine but I still have to manually make all the necessary corners into square ones.

Newtek, please do not disappoint us with the next release. Fix the foundations before adding new floors or the whole building will collapse.

Revanto (No smiley face this time)

RoX
12-13-2017, 03:38 AM
Sorry too many marketing lies and empty promises the past 2-3 years for me. Not impressed at all.
Totally agree. Where is the unified mesh (the most announced feature)? And camera in Modeler? Probably all this time is gone to fight with these improvements… So why announced?

ElusiveElephant
12-13-2017, 03:48 AM
Totally agree. Where is the unified mesh (the most announced feature)? And camera in Modeler? Probably all this time is gone to fight with these improvements… So why announced?

The Layout view inside of Modeller is in there. Also, the old mesh engine was torn out and the new one put in place. Although I don't have any examples to show, I had an architectural project, where all the chairs, monitors, keyboards and tables rippled down into place. I used instances for the placement, and then used nodal motion to animate them, based off a NULL item.

In 2015, this scene really struggles to play through on a very high end workstation. In 2018, it's like there is no longer a bottleneck. It plays through at proper playback speed, so no slowdown at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a quick video I did of the PBSDF shader in VPR.
The SSS in this video isn't meant to mimic anything real-life, just thought it looked kind of cool.

https://youtu.be/9PcwuM6eQd4

gar26lw
12-13-2017, 03:49 AM
The Layout view inside of Modeller is in there. Also, the old mesh engine was torn out and the new one put in place. Although I don't have any examples to show, I had an architectural project, where all the chairs, monitors, keyboards and tables rippled down into place. I used instances for the placement, and then used nodal motion to animate them, based off a NULL item.

In 2015, this scene really struggles to play through on a very high end workstation. In 2018, it's like there is no longer a bottleneck. It plays through at proper playback speed, so no slowdown at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a quick video I did of the PBSDF shader in VPR.
The SSS in this video isn't meant to mimic anything real-life, just thought it looked kind of cool.

https://youtu.be/9PcwuM6eQd4

cool. do you know if worley plugins still work? taft and polk. hoser?

thekho
12-13-2017, 04:33 AM
Lightwave 2018 looks good and impressive render, new volumetric, new Fiber FX, i'm happy that Open VDB Support where i can play with Houdini then export it to Lightwave but i'm really disappointed that modeler got few features and is not getting any more updates since Lightwave 7.5. Hope modeler getting new engine like ChronoSculpt who can handles millions polygons one day.

Anyway, big congratulations to Lightwave team for worked very hard! I'm looking forward it to play with new Lightwave 2018 on jan 1st!

P.S. i think UP and Deep Rising FX plugins are both work on 2018 too!

ElusiveElephant
12-13-2017, 04:34 AM
cool. do you know if worley plugins still work? taft and polk. hoser?

I actually don't know, they literally haven't been updated in years and I don't own them.
I know the devs made a lot of effort to 'wrap' old motion and deformer plugins so they won't cause problems in 2018, but I'm afraid i don't actually know about these.

dnch
12-13-2017, 05:07 AM
Preorders would be great, my accountant would appreciate that:D

dsol
12-13-2017, 05:08 AM
i noticed these Aliased pixels in LightWave 2011, where they could be solved partly by using "Limited Dynamic Range"
https://i.imgur.com/pdhzqMr.jpg

note sure if LW2018 has something similar. no biggie, however something to be aware of.

A lot of issues with overbright "firefly" HDR hotspots got eliminated by LW2015's support for Importance Sampling

ElusiveElephant
12-13-2017, 05:18 AM
Hi, great examples.

What about fireflies? Have you tested with high ev hdr?

Would you mind to test with an hdr like this?

https://hdrihaven.com/hdri/?h=symmetrical_garden

Regards

Edit: also, some caustics would be fine.

Fireflies are a thing now, as LightWave has moved to PBR... so high EV HDR Maps will produce fireflies.
This render is sort of a worst case really. It has an environment light, GI AND caustics. The noise reduction would probably handle this, for the most part.

I really don't think the fireflies seen here are any worse than any other PBR renderer out there.

dsol
12-13-2017, 05:23 AM
I'm chiming in a little late to this party - but, wanted to say that I'M SO EXCITED that LWnext/2018 is finally being released! As someone who hates sterile-looking CG renders, the new render engine looks absolutely beautiful, especially with the amazing volumetrics support. I'm gonna be making some awesomely moody looking renders with that, I suspect.

Congratulations to the development team - and the testers! Looking forward to seeing where LW goes from here, and hope there's a nice rational roadmap in place to target the biggest gaps in LW's architecture (UI overhaul for HiDpi, Unified Undo stack, Scene Referencing). And lastly - glad to see Matt's still on the team!

Asticles
12-13-2017, 05:27 AM
Fireflies are a thing now, as LightWave has moved to PBR... so high EV HDR Maps will produce fireflies.
This render is sort of a worst case really. It has an environment light, GI AND caustics. The noise reduction would probably handle this, for the most part.

I really don't think the fireflies seen here are any worse than any other PBR renderer out there.

Thanks for the test, did you use clamping?

Great image, because they are barely noticeable.

mav3rick
12-13-2017, 05:35 AM

+1 as i could still put it in this fiscal year expenses

Chris S. (Fez)
12-13-2017, 05:37 AM
+1 as i could still put it in this fiscal year expenses

Yeah.

Asticles
12-13-2017, 05:49 AM

And prereleases to loyal Lightwavers XD

ElusiveElephant
12-13-2017, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the test, did you use clamping?

Great image, because they are barely noticeable.

Yes, clamping had to be used for this HDR in particular, it is VERY bright. :)
That's pretty standard across the board with other renderers though.

I do think the fireflies are a little noticeable in some cases. This one in a higher resolution may be more noticeable, but there are ways to control them.

Asticles
12-13-2017, 05:56 AM
Yes, clamping had to be used for this HDR in particular, it is VERY bright. :)
That's pretty standard across the board with other renderers though.

I do think the fireflies are a little noticeable in some cases. This one in a higher resolution may be more noticeable, but there are ways to control them.

Do you know if the engine is unidirectional or bidirectional?

gar26lw
12-13-2017, 06:07 AM
And prereleases to loyal Lightwavers XD

i think that would be a nice gesture for all the nonsense that’s been going on.

oliverhotz
12-13-2017, 06:08 AM
hi, will there be a substance node, or substance shader, so you can apply a substance to a lot of materials at once and mass edit?

no node/shader, but you can apply the materials all at once since the plug bakes the textures on the fly, and you can of course have multiple materials referencing the same image sets.

oliverhotz
12-13-2017, 06:10 AM
A few more videos activated:

rendertime object replacement: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/247042990
polysplit: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/246043503
remove surfaces: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/246043519
change polydirection: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/198061552
layout primitives: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/213792199

RebelHill
12-13-2017, 06:12 AM
Will your videos be updated for LW 2018 or are they good to go as is just now? Was considering buying

Which videos are you on about particularly?

I do plan to have new stuff available for 2018, initially for all the new renderer stuff, other topics may follow later.

As for my pre-existing series, rigging, animation, etc... there's next to no update needed, as nothing much has changed. Some stuff has been added in 2018, such as the new bits for displacement and deforms, but that would be supplemental and really aimed at higher end users, all of the main line tools I've covered before, the techniques and workflows, still apply.

The only exception would be perhaps the nodal series... a LOT of it is still totally relevant, the exception being the parts that deal with the material nodes, since obviously that's all different now. So those may get a do-over in the future.

Super excited to give interiors a go with the new PBR, but to be honest this doesn't seem all that great. And very noisy too.

It is a bit noisy in places, mainly in the metallic surfaces. It must be said though that this specific render is actually from a while back now, additional work has been done since (a considerable amount)... but someone asked for interiors, and it's all I had lying around. I would expect better results if I redid it.

Anttij77
12-13-2017, 06:16 AM
Congratulations on a Herculean effort to bring the new shading/lighting/rendering/volumetrics system up to production quality.
I can't wait to do native shading and rendering directly off of GGX PBR texture maps from Substance and 3DCoat.

I'll be curious to see what the texture baking story is with the new system where we want to author directly in LW, but then export to e.g. Unreal.

Texture baking is very easy with the Surface Baking camera. You can bake normal maps now too.

gar26lw
12-13-2017, 06:23 AM
no node/shader, but you can apply the materials all at once since the plug bakes the textures on the fly, and you can of course have multiple materials referencing the same image sets.

do you have plans to do,that? is that achievable with the new sdk?

oliverhotz
12-13-2017, 06:28 AM
do you have plans to do,that? is that achievable with the new sdk?

plans to do a node/shader.. no... not sure why.

gar26lw
12-13-2017, 06:30 AM
Texture baking is very easy with the Surface Baking camera. You can bake normal maps now too.

did you manage to get the edge padding working correctly? like it does in the modo renderer or in the xnormal photoshop dilation filter? i have. a feeling that padding was correct in the buffer options for normal maps but not in the surface baking camera in 2015. stopped using it due to this.

- - - Updated - - -

Which videos are you on about particularly?

I do plan to have new stuff available for 2018, initially for all the new renderer stuff, other topics may follow later.

As for my pre-existing series, rigging, animation, etc... there's next to no update needed, as nothing much has changed. Some stuff has been added in 2018, such as the new bits for displacement and deforms, but that would be supplemental and really aimed at higher end users, all of the main line tools I've covered before, the techniques and workflows, still apply.

The only exception would be perhaps the nodal series... a LOT of it is still totally relevant, the exception being the parts that deal with the material nodes, since obviously that's all different now. So those may get a do-over in the future.

It is a bit noisy in places, mainly in the metallic surfaces. It must be said though that this specific render is actually from a while back now, additional work has been done since (a considerable amount)... but someone asked for interiors, and it's all I had lying around. I would expect better results if I redid it.

it was the rigging stuff i was wondering about. if any new updates to that. thanks.

oliverhotz
12-13-2017, 06:36 AM
Another Set of videos:

show uv: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/246015935
mdd preview: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/246015906
quad cojoin: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/233905387
obj poisson sample: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/224375103

lardbros
12-13-2017, 06:39 AM
did you manage to get the edge padding working correctly? like it does in the modo renderer or in the xnormal photoshop dilation filter? i have. a feeling that padding was correct in the buffer options for normal maps but not in the surface baking camera in 2015. stopped using it due to this.

- - - Updated - - -

it was the rigging stuff i was wondering about. if any new updates to that. thanks.

I put a feature request in about the surface baking cam and edge padding and it was closed, so it must be fixed.

ElusiveElephant
12-13-2017, 06:43 AM
I put a feature request in about the surface baking cam and edge padding and it was closed, so it must be fixed.

Yep, it was fixed. Edge padding never worked correctly and it does now. Baking normal maps works like a dream too.

Anttij77
12-13-2017, 06:48 AM
Three more 2018 renders.

oliverhotz
12-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Here's a few more that are a bit scripter/dev centric

auto gui creation: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/223179768
custom obj creation: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/213794511

Anttij77
12-13-2017, 06:56 AM
Two more...
The planet with twisted clouds is 100% parametric and volumetric. No polygons were harmed in the making of that render.

pmwhite
12-13-2017, 06:58 AM
Thank God, you guys are still with us. I thought Newtek had abandoned us and the Lightwave 3D Project.
I look forward to 1th January, and to the future.
I will be upgrading

Sanchon
12-13-2017, 07:00 AM
Great news. Any benefits to arch viz lighting ? Better radiosity light transportation, more visible bounces ( in LW 2015 more than 3 is invisible for exteriors ) ? Maybe some controls of white point, exposure, gamma, RGB levels inside VPR ?

Anttij77
12-13-2017, 07:03 AM
Great news. Any benefits to arch viz lighting ? Better radiosity light transportation, more visible bounces ( in LW 2015 more than 3 is invisible for exteriors ) ?

The new portal light option in the Area light is going to help you a lot with archviz, also the new GI also reacts to surface properties correctly.
Previously GI only used a simple lambertian evaluation internally, but since I wrote the new shading system to be bi-directional, I can now sample the BRDF from the GI engine.

fishhead
12-13-2017, 07:10 AM
Let's play nice ...

I hear ya! Try to... I know, that wasn´t exactly nice - It was just that I more and more got the overwhelming feeling he/she was/is only still around to poison...

Cobalt
12-13-2017, 07:20 AM
Awesome! Looking forward to the upgrade in the new year.

oliverhotz
12-13-2017, 07:22 AM
MagicaVoxels Import: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/199935641
converting a surface to a weightmap: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/213788865

achilles
12-13-2017, 07:22 AM
Hi guys. I state that I have nothing to do with Newtek and that I'm just an amateur who, among other things, has fun with 3D graphics. Surely Lightwave has several aspects that need to be fixed. But, I think, to have all this at the top you should turn to other programs that cost 3-4 times more and not all deserve the asking price. Those who want to spend 3-4000 dollars can go elsewhere, but those who, spending around 1000 and less than 300 for the upgrade, want a program that is very good and versatile, however, has LW. I hope the NT will continue to develop it and improve it otherwise who can afford a license or more for Autodesk's or similar products? I hope that we all encourage Newtek to do better without expecting the moon from them. To program at the top they need a lot of resources and at the end their cost is paid by the users. There are free programs like Blender, but they live up to LW? I think that aside from some really good features, Blender still needs to improve in many aspects starting with the interface. I remind you that a program like Shade3d, in the latest version still only in Japanese, costs $ 600 and does not even have 1/4 of the features of LW, even if it has a really nice interface. Hello and have a nice day.
Translated from Italian with Google Translate.

mummyman
12-13-2017, 07:23 AM
Can we see some skin/subsurface, organic looking object renders?

gar26lw
12-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Two more...
The planet with twisted clouds is 100% parametric and volumetric. No polygons were harmed in the making of that render.

this reminds me, will there be any simple post fix like bloom, luts etc?

- - - Updated - - -

plans to do a node/shader.. no... not sure why.

do you mean that it’s not possible?

- - - Updated - - -

there was a bug report put in a very, very long time ago, about it. good to see fixed.

SBowie
12-13-2017, 07:36 AM
I hear ya! Try to... I know, that wasn´t exactly nice - It was just that I more and more got the overwhelming feeling he/she was/is only still around to poison...I understand, but it's best for all of us to refrain from the gratuitous 'cheap shots', else it tends to get out of hand.

In a related matter, though, i mentioned yesterday that the tolerance for promotion of competing products was at an end. The same could be said for persistently negative posts that seem to serve no other purposes than raining on any enthusiasm by those who do enjoy using LW and who appreciate the efforts of those involved.

Constructive criticism certainly has a place, but when it becomes clear that it's just a ceaseless repetition of gripes the individual has made over and over, it becomes a pointless irritation to other members, and contributes nothing useful to the community. One could be forgiven for thinking it is intended only to demoralize or divert members to some other path.

The forums aren't here to let a few disaffected souls harp endlessly about their negative perceptions to the general irritation of those who feel differently. If you fall into this group, undeniably you've already been allowed to state your case many times over. It's time to either let it go or move on.

Wickedpup
12-13-2017, 07:46 AM
The forums aren't here to let a few disaffected souls harp endlessly about their negative perceptions to the general irritation of those who feel differently.
But what if someone harp endlessly about their positive perceptions to the general irritation of those who feel differently? :D
Come on. You do know that happens.....

Snosrap
12-13-2017, 08:10 AM

Yeah - when I think of PBR I don't necessarily think of interior rendering but I suppose it should benefit that type od work as well. Is the denoiser a post process or some algorithm within the renderer?

paulg625
12-13-2017, 08:11 AM
I am so very pleased with all the improvements I have seen and am learning about. And although I love Renders from LightWave when it comes to speed Octane and Multi video cards for the small studio is the way. Can you say if any changes will be made or have been made to the plugin for Octane Render ?

Schwyhart
12-13-2017, 08:20 AM
I will upgrade...and I finally feel comfortable buying into the Lightwave ecosystem. LWCAD will be my first plugin.

Sanchon
12-13-2017, 08:21 AM
Will we have any substitute of micropoly displacement ? Tone mapping ?

H_Molla
12-13-2017, 08:25 AM
So disappointing really.....after all that time !!! wakeup Newtek it 2018..don't you see MAXON ??
I did switch a year ago and am SUPER happy with C4D...i couldn't imagine that i will do that big switch after using lightwave since the Amiga day's...BUT i DID...and Am doing things that i was not able to do without twisting my head to be done while it was very simple...

I am so sorry that this is LW2018...
So saaaaadddd.

Wickedpup
12-13-2017, 08:43 AM
A few more videos activated:

rendertime object replacement: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/247042990
polysplit: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/246043503
remove surfaces: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/246043519
change polydirection: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/198061552
layout primitives: https://vimeo.com/album/4335852/video/213792199
Lots of great tools. Will be buying them for sure. NT should hire you. :hey:
One question about polysplit: In the video you use it in a sequential selection on one polygon (1,2,3,4)...will it work (or is it possible to make it work) on a non sequential selection? (like 1-2...3-4....5-6 on one poly or multiple places on one mesh?
Should probably use an image to illustrate , but I'm not at the computer right now

Luc_Feri
12-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Not sure what happened to two of my posts.

I'm playing fair.

One was perfect good question about fiberFX.

If I'm cherry picked on everything I say then you ain't going to get my $295 and that is that, sorry Steve, seriously tried to make ammends, not sure I can continue this.................

I cannot submit a new email to a forum that apparently got hacked a while back and still has no encrypted login form field. I'm sorry if you won't allow me to post without moderation, with all respects sincerely.

SBowie
12-13-2017, 08:56 AM
But what if someone harp endlessly about their positive perceptions to the general irritation of those who feel differently? :D
Come on. You do know that happens.....In such a case, we will all just have to endure it. ;)

Luc_Feri
12-13-2017, 09:01 AM
All the best.

SBowie
12-13-2017, 09:11 AM
If I'm cherry picked on everything I say then you ain't going to get my $295 and that is that, sorry Steve, seriously tried to make ammends, not sure I can continue this.................

Ok, point #1: Posts that are moderated are handled individually, and manually. Generally, this means they aren't going to appear until I open my eyes in the morning, have my coffee, and drive to work. Some days, like today, they must also wait until I take my wife home from a doctor's appointment.

Point #2: Moderating someone's posts is a nuisance, and we'd rather not have to do it. When someone's posting record for a period of time shows that they are employing a reasonable measure of self-moderation, restrictions are lifted.

Point #3: It would be a mistake to imagine that buying something (anything, other than the company) has much impact on forum privileges. Buy, buy not - it's all the same. Nor do we accept bribes, inducements, gratuities or emoluments. ;)

Point #4: If you do buy the company, I will continue to make what are in my best judgement reasonable and justified moderation decisions as required to ensure the forums serve the purposes they are meant to, for the enjoyment and benefit of those they are meant for. If you buy the company and expect me to handle matters differently, you will need to either convince me or fire me.

sadkkf
12-13-2017, 09:35 AM
I am pretty sure I saw jascha himself stating it would be compatible with the next lighwave version, not T4D though...Only turbulenceFD. :)
and I think it has been mentioned the same with 3rd powers as well.

What I try to dig out except for the compability, that is if the sdk now allows for jascha to implement particle advection, compability alone with the next releaase of lightwave will still not make me get it, unless that issue is adressed, unfortunately he hasn´t responded to answer that question on his own forum.

TFD...d'oh! Yes. Thanks. I'm very happy to hear this. Hopefully 2018 is more friendly to third parties and we'll be seeing more plugins and more enhancements to current plugins.

Kryslin
12-13-2017, 09:52 AM
I get sick for two days, and this happens. :)

Glad to see that this will finally reach release. I will, of course, be upgrading, while maintaining 2015.3 as a separate installation, mainly because of Sasquatch Work (and the fact I share work with an artist who is stuck back on 11.6.3. Hopefully the problems I encountered (namely, dicing of volumes in short, dense coats of fur) in FiberFX will have been dealt with. That was not fun.

Any improvements to lScript? Or am I going to have to learn Python to write my plugins...?

hypersuperduper
12-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Would anybody be able to elaborate more on the layout primitives? Which primitives are available? Can they be converted into geometry? Can they be deformed with deformers? Are there performance benefits vs using sub-d meshes?

GraphXs
12-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Would anybody be able to elaborate more on the layout primitives? Which primitives are available? Can they be converted into geometry? Can they be deformed with deformers? Are there performance benefits vs using sub-d meshes?

Primitive shapes (Sphere, Cube, Cylinder, Torus, Cone and Plane for now) can now be made by simply adding a null and selecting shape in Object Properties. Parametric shapes can be textured like geometry and have a UV map for texturing built-in. They can also be displaced and, because they aren't based on geometry, can have very fine levels of detail.

They can't be converted to geo, but that would be a cool addition.

Nicolas Jordan
12-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Hi guys. I state that I have nothing to do with Newtek and that I'm just an amateur who, among other things, has fun with 3D graphics. Surely Lightwave has several aspects that need to be fixed. But, I think, to have all this at the top you should turn to other programs that cost 3-4 times more and not all deserve the asking price. Those who want to spend 3-4000 dollars can go elsewhere, but those who, spending around 1000 and less than 300 for the upgrade, want a program that is very good and versatile, however, has LW. I hope the NT will continue to develop it and improve it otherwise who can afford a license or more for Autodesk's or similar products? I hope that we all encourage Newtek to do better without expecting the moon from them. To program at the top they need a lot of resources and at the end their cost is paid by the users. There are free programs like Blender, but they live up to LW? I think that aside from some really good features, Blender still needs to improve in many aspects starting with the interface. I remind you that a program like Shade3d, in the latest version still only in Japanese, costs $ 600 and does not even have 1/4 of the features of LW, even if it has a really nice interface. Hello and have a nice day.
Translated from Italian with Google Translate.

I agree, Lightwave still has good bang for your buck compared to most other options out there.

hypersuperduper
12-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Primitive shapes (Sphere, Cube, Cylinder, Torus, Cone and Plane for now) can now be made by simply adding a null and selecting shape in Object Properties. Parametric shapes can be textured like geometry and have a UV map for texturing built-in. They can also be displaced and, because they aren't based on geometry, can have very fine levels of detail.

They can't be converted to geo, but that would be a cool addition.

Thanks for the information. Can they be deformed using things like Bend or is it strictly displacement.

nemac4
12-13-2017, 10:42 AM
Looking forward to the update. Thanks for your hard work on this Newtek.

What are the system requirements? Are they the same?
Has anything been updated for Windows 10 support?

Marander
12-13-2017, 11:16 AM
What are the system requirements? Are they the same?
Has anything been updated for Windows 10 support?

Requirements on the bottom of the LW2018 page.

Hardware
Intel® Core™ 2 or AMD Athlon™ II Processor (or better)
64-bit System RAM: 4GB minimum
Available USB Port (for users with existing hardware dongles)

Operating System
64-bit: Windows 7 through Windows 10 64-bit Edition

Marander
12-13-2017, 11:35 AM

Very impressive what you have developed for LW2018!

The Substance support is extremely surprising to me and a big plus for 2018! Additionally all the other great utilities (haven't seen all of them yet, so many). Also great are the volumentric tools / presets.

I just wish all your tools could be neatly integrated in LW itself. But with the pie menu even the GUI gets an improvement.

If there is something motivating me to get 2018 than it's your tool collection. If there was an OD Weight Painting tool for Layout (like the one from 3rd powers), it would make it even more complete.

A must buy for any LW2018 user!

oliverhotz
12-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Lots of great tools. Will be buying them for sure. NT should hire you. :hey:
One question about polysplit: In the video you use it in a sequential selection on one polygon (1,2,3,4)...will it work (or is it possible to make it work) on a non sequential selection? (like 1-2...3-4....5-6 on one poly or multiple places on one mesh?
Should probably use an image to illustrate , but I'm not at the computer right now

it currently just splits the pairs.. so.. 1-2, 3-4, etc..

Matt
12-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Sim generated in Blender, rendered in LightWave 2018 using the new black body radiator node

Chuck
12-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Sim generated in Blender, rendered in LightWave 2018 using the new black body radiator node

Do Not Eat Mushrooms that look like this!!!! :tsktsk::twak:

Luc_Feri
12-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Ok, point #1: Posts that are moderated are handled individually, and manually. Generally, this means they aren't going to appear until I open my eyes in the morning, have my coffee, and drive to work. Some days, like today, they must also wait until I take my wife home from a doctor's appointment.

Point #2: Moderating someone's posts is a nuisance, and we'd rather not have to do it. When someone's posting record for a period of time shows that they are employing a reasonable measure of self-moderation, restrictions are lifted.

I did actually wait until you were active on the forums again before I commented to take into consideration that you had now arrived at the office before I posted, so I was considerate actually. ;)

As for point #2, Let me do you a favour, put your trust in a mans word and let me save you the bother of moderating everything that I write and you maybe surprised, in a good way of course. I was a well behaved chap yesterday and couldn't have been more honest and humble, I thought we had cleared the air. It would see rather contrive for LW3DG and Donetta to want a fresh start, but to not allow a customer that opportunity to prove themselves with a second chance is rather one sided. :D

Luc_Feri
12-13-2017, 12:44 PM

I thought that still looked even better than the home page render actually!!

A question Matt, does the new primitive type for FiberFX, with having the ability to use any material shader, also include self shadowing of fibers or maybe a setting to max out or optimise shadow effects?

Paul Goodrich
12-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Does your tools work on Mac OSX?

MichaelT
12-13-2017, 01:20 PM

Nice render... but.. what's up with that clipping at the top of the flames at the end?

DogBoy
12-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Does the new primitive type for FiberFX, with having the ability to use any material shader, also include self shadowing of fibers or maybe a setting to max out or optimise shadow effects?

Yes, you can use any material on fibers. Shadowing is based on lighting.

Paul Goodrich
12-13-2017, 01:38 PM
Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/newtypo/in.../software.html
Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417

Oliver,

Do your Substance tools work on Mac OSX?

hypersuperduper
12-13-2017, 01:46 PM
The layout primitives. Are they generating geometry on the fly or are they something else like voxels or something? I remember from the early blog posts, I think, that layout is now able to generate geometry. Are the primitives an example of this? If so is lightwave at the stage where an enterprising 3rd party could make a layout plugin that created geometry like the primitives? Or like a live Boolean system or something? Or are there no sdk tools yet for that kind of stuff?

paulk
12-13-2017, 02:02 PM
Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/newtypo/in.../software.html
Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417

Oliver,

Do your Substance tools work on Mac OSX?

I got a 404 when I clicked on the OD Tools Purchase Link.

cresshead
12-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Good to see Lightwave 2018 coming in a few days time
amazing work too by oliver on those 355 plugins!

Matt
12-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Nice render... but.. what's up with that clipping at the top of the flames at the end?

The flames hit the bounding box of the sim, even though it's set to automatically expand, sometimes it doesn't expand fast enough I've noticed, but then, I'm no Houdini expert.

Luc_Feri
12-13-2017, 02:46 PM
I've decided, enough is enough.

No $295 from me.

The END...................

Matt
12-13-2017, 02:51 PM
I thought that still looked even better than the home page render actually!!

It should, it's using multiple scattering, with GI and shaded using the "proper" method.

A question Matt, does the new primitive type for FiberFX, with having the ability to use any material shader, also include self shadowing of fibers or maybe a setting to max out or optimise shadow effects?

From Mr. FiberFX himself:

Yes, you can shade using any material, but the hair material is specifically designed for thin fibers, other materials will work as they would for any object.

Shadows can be altered using the shadow density setting, fibers can cast shadows onto other fibers, but not self-shadow (i.e. one fiber casting a shadow onto itself).

pbaroque20
12-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Is it just me or the new renders look amazing! I can't get enough at how good it looks.

Matt
12-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Is it just me or the new renders look amazing! I can't get enough at how good it looks.

I agree, it's just so much easier to get something that looks really cool!

gar26lw
12-13-2017, 03:01 PM
do image filter and pixel filters stilll exist?

Hail
12-13-2017, 03:02 PM
The layout primitives. Are they generating
geometry on the fly or are they something else like voxels or something? I remember from the early blog posts, I think, that layout is now able to generate geometry. Are the primitives an example of this? If so is lightwave at the stage where an enterprising 3rd party could make a layout plugin that created geometry like the primitives? Or like a live Boolean system or something? Or are there no sdk tools yet for that kind of stuff?

Good question.
Matt any word on this?

xevious2501
12-13-2017, 03:15 PM
The big issue is not entirely what all new features 2018 LW will have at its release, but rather, has LW's code/sdk been re-written ground up, that it would enable the greater majority of third party application providers to develop for LW as well. Will it enable easy integration of opensource applications/features. The problem with LW was that it was too complex for developers to port over their applications. its sdk/hooks was closed out. LW needs to be as open as other 3d applications. so the likes of Arnold Corona Vray, and so many other things would become available as well. no more shunning free offerings. it needs to be a viable option for production pipeline integration.

Marander
12-13-2017, 03:21 PM

Very nice renders, getting better and better. Volumetrics look great in LW2018!

Matt
12-13-2017, 03:23 PM
do image filter and pixel filters stilll exist?

Yes

Cageman
12-13-2017, 03:28 PM

Yep...

PBR, when done correctly, really helps to take out a lot of guesswork regarding what the material should look like. In previous versions of LW I could sort of get there, but it was always a lot of fiddleing about and... whatever looked good in one shot, could look less than happy in another, because of how things used to be.

Anyways... I am very happy with where LW is going. :)

Matt
12-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Good question.
Matt any word on this?

Parametric Primitives use distance estimated ray marching to find intersections, there is no geometry. However, they are implemented using the new "Primitive Object" system (nothing to do with actual geometry primitives) there is an SDK for it, OpenVDB support was also implemented using this system.